WP A kit vs KYB spring conversion for AER?

Bruce372
9/25/2020 6:37pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Lol. Yeah, you guys are right. Dropping $2000 to $3500 on a new set of forks is all thats holding me back from dominating C class.
yz133rider wrote:
Is this your new crusade? Tired of bashing Suzuki’s so now it’s time to bash people for getting good suspension?
no, i think its cool people wanna spend their money on the sport..... just find it a bit sad an inexperienced is under the impression he needs to be doing the same, when maybe a simple revalve and bike setup from a good local tuner would probably be all that he needs.
RF145
9/25/2020 11:06pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Lol. Yeah, you guys are right. Dropping $2000 to $3500 on a new set of forks is all thats holding me back from dominating C class.
yz133rider wrote:
Is this your new crusade? Tired of bashing Suzuki’s so now it’s time to bash people for getting good suspension?
Bruce372 wrote:
no, i think its cool people wanna spend their money on the sport..... just find it a bit sad an inexperienced is under the impression he...
no, i think its cool people wanna spend their money on the sport..... just find it a bit sad an inexperienced is under the impression he needs to be doing the same, when maybe a simple revalve and bike setup from a good local tuner would probably be all that he needs.
I see your point. And the OP should spend as much time as he has to try to make the bike comfortable for him. I took the first year with my bike before I dropped $2700.00 more dollars into a bike I already spent $9200.00 on to purchase. Like I stated in my last post, the forks worked fine, it was the lack of feel/feedback I missed. I am 100% happy with my KYB Factory Spring conversion kit. I rather not have spent the money, as I never had to on my Yamahas with SSS suspension. But, my happiness is more important than money. No, it will not make me faster. I am 62 and faster was 40 plus years ago. It is all about enjoyment. The only issue I see with your comments Bruce is that you insert the “will not make you faster” train of thought. It is not always about added speed.
yz133rider
9/26/2020 1:34am
Bruce372 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
no, i think its cool people wanna spend their money on the sport..... just find it a bit sad an inexperienced is under the impression he...
You know this topic has gone round and round before and there’s interesting points to both side.

Many people lose less money by going cone valves, ohlins, etc compared to a simple revalve.

A revalve adds no resale value. Where as if you get a good deal on a set of good forks or even a used set, you can sell them for essentially what you paid and in the process lose less than the cost of a revalve, all the while running top end suspension.

Motofinne
9/26/2020 1:40am Edited Date/Time 9/26/2020 5:45am
yz133rider wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
You know this topic has gone round and round before and there’s interesting points to both side. Many people lose less money by going cone valves...
You know this topic has gone round and round before and there’s interesting points to both side.

Many people lose less money by going cone valves, ohlins, etc compared to a simple revalve.

A revalve adds no resale value. Where as if you get a good deal on a set of good forks or even a used set, you can sell them for essentially what you paid and in the process lose less than the cost of a revalve, all the while running top end suspension.

Exactly. And the price for revalves/stock modifications these days can be really high. With a blink of an eye you have spent 500€ or more on your stock suspension that you'll never see again. You might be happy with it, but once you start adding things up going with kit suspension is easily worth it if you can afford the upfront payment of it.

The Shop

mg311
9/26/2020 5:08am
yz133rider wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
You know this topic has gone round and round before and there’s interesting points to both side. Many people lose less money by going cone valves...

yes exactly i have a set of cone valve and trax since 2017 i have also a technical touch kit for yamaha yzf 19 and now i ride a 20.5 rockstar fc 450 :For me the best overall are kyb 21 than cone valve but in some situation 21 aer are better
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
9/26/2020 5:32am
I’m living proof good suspension will indeed make a slow rider faster. Comfort and confidence equals speed.
bvm111
9/26/2020 3:23pm
i posted earlier in the thread that i did a self revalve on the 20.5 FE AER forks and I am happy to say they are working really well. I added to the LSC stack to compensate for my weight and adjusted the HSC stack to control bottoming and went to 280cc in each fork leg. I am 225 naked right now (sorry for the visual) ride at solid Vet Int/ sometimes Exp level and have been able to lower my PSI to 155 and the valving is controlling the dive under braking, the lower PSI is allowing the fork to settle in the turns and I was able to confidently/ consistently rail the inside line and it is only doing a light bottom when i make mistakes and OJ or UJ a large hit. overall I am very happy with my 17 dollar investment into 12 shims from slavens racing and i am questioning my desire to drop 3800 on CVs!
Bruce372
9/26/2020 4:08pm
bvm111 wrote:
i posted earlier in the thread that i did a self revalve on the 20.5 FE AER forks and I am happy to say they are...
i posted earlier in the thread that i did a self revalve on the 20.5 FE AER forks and I am happy to say they are working really well. I added to the LSC stack to compensate for my weight and adjusted the HSC stack to control bottoming and went to 280cc in each fork leg. I am 225 naked right now (sorry for the visual) ride at solid Vet Int/ sometimes Exp level and have been able to lower my PSI to 155 and the valving is controlling the dive under braking, the lower PSI is allowing the fork to settle in the turns and I was able to confidently/ consistently rail the inside line and it is only doing a light bottom when i make mistakes and OJ or UJ a large hit. overall I am very happy with my 17 dollar investment into 12 shims from slavens racing and i am questioning my desire to drop 3800 on CVs!
That's too funny, I have the same bike, and at 240lbs vet novice the forks were too stiff. I swapped a couple of. 15s on the midvalve to get them moving easier, softening rhe mid, trampoline and slightly incresse the float. Really like them now.

On the shock, I ran a 57 spring and went to half a turn out on the high speed snd maybe 6 clicks out low comp and rebound.... in the end, I went to a 54 spring and added a couple of shims comp and rebound.

Its almost like I am trying to make it ride like a rmz450 hahaha.

Did you do anything on the shock and spec the comp adjuster?
bvm111
9/26/2020 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/26/2020 4:47pm
bvm111 wrote:
i posted earlier in the thread that i did a self revalve on the 20.5 FE AER forks and I am happy to say they are...
Bruce372 wrote:
That's too funny, I have the same bike, and at 240lbs vet novice the forks were too stiff. I swapped a couple of. 15s on the...
That's too funny, I have the same bike, and at 240lbs vet novice the forks were too stiff. I swapped a couple of. 15s on the midvalve to get them moving easier, softening rhe mid, trampoline and slightly incresse the float. Really like them now.

On the shock, I ran a 57 spring and went to half a turn out on the high speed snd maybe 6 clicks out low comp and rebound.... in the end, I went to a 54 spring and added a couple of shims comp and rebound.

I was hoping someone else would post some DIY options. I have not gotten into the MV yet as I just received the aluminum blocks for the vice to disassemble, wish they were as easy as KYB where you remove the bottom nut and turn upside down and pull the rod and MV out! I know there is some tuning to be had from the OEM MV setup from what i have read on TT, i also knew that making all the adjustments to the base valve was more of a band aid than a total solution!

i have not disassembled the shock yet but will when i install the bladder conversion, I hope it’s as easy as the youtube videos make it look! I was only going to add a few face shims to compensate for my big butt, I am at 5.2 rear spring and probably could go to 5.4 as i do have quite a strip of rubber under the fender. that being said I am overall pretty happy with the shock. I am at 1 turn out HSC, and recommended LSC for competition setting, in one additional rebound from recommended competition Reb setting in the manual.

Any tips on getting the cartridge apart to get to the MV would be appreciated!
Bruce372
9/26/2020 10:25pm
bvm111 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
That's too funny, I have the same bike, and at 240lbs vet novice the forks were too stiff. I swapped a couple of. 15s on the...

bvm111 wrote:
I was hoping someone else would post some DIY options. I have not gotten into the MV yet as I just received the aluminum blocks for...
I was hoping someone else would post some DIY options. I have not gotten into the MV yet as I just received the aluminum blocks for the vice to disassemble, wish they were as easy as KYB where you remove the bottom nut and turn upside down and pull the rod and MV out! I know there is some tuning to be had from the OEM MV setup from what i have read on TT, i also knew that making all the adjustments to the base valve was more of a band aid than a total solution!

i have not disassembled the shock yet but will when i install the bladder conversion, I hope it’s as easy as the youtube videos make it look! I was only going to add a few face shims to compensate for my big butt, I am at 5.2 rear spring and probably could go to 5.4 as i do have quite a strip of rubber under the fender. that being said I am overall pretty happy with the shock. I am at 1 turn out HSC, and recommended LSC for competition setting, in one additional rebound from recommended competition Reb setting in the manual.

Bruce372
9/26/2020 10:26pm
Bruce372 wrote:

bvm111 wrote:
I was hoping someone else would post some DIY options. I have not gotten into the MV yet as I just received the aluminum blocks for...

Bruce372 wrote:
check your messages, i sent you my email... ive done all the jobs you are planning so more than happy to help
Pirate421
9/27/2020 9:57am
Found a pretty good setting today testing with the stock 2020 AER. Bike has 6hrs on it now. I’m 165 5’11 b/c +30. Bikes a 250xc and this was mx practice but my fork was set to 140psi 16 compression and 15 Reb. Felt really good and I bet I could use it well in the woods for a hare scramble.

mg311
9/27/2020 3:47pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2020 3:48pm
i would try aer cone valve
wm741
9/28/2020 8:12pm
I’ve ridden both but had Ross at Enzo do a KYB spring conversion as well as the new KYB shock conversion. It’s absolutely amazing. Best suspension I’ve even had
jeffoff
9/29/2020 10:20pm
wm741 wrote:
I’ve ridden both but had Ross at Enzo do a KYB spring conversion as well as the new KYB shock conversion. It’s absolutely amazing. Best suspension...
I’ve ridden both but had Ross at Enzo do a KYB spring conversion as well as the new KYB shock conversion. It’s absolutely amazing. Best suspension I’ve even had
New KYB shock conversion?
Never heard of this and can not find it on Technical Touch website...
wm741
9/30/2020 12:56pm
jeffoff wrote:
Call enzo CA and talk to Tyler. Ross created it. Look at their Instagram and there’s a few posts about it.
10/23/2020 5:52pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I've got a bike coming that I'll be posting a build thread on later, but the bike is going to be a fun one. I'll save...
I've got a bike coming that I'll be posting a build thread on later, but the bike is going to be a fun one. I'll save the details for later.
Initially it was supposed to come with A kit suspension on it but that deal fell through and stock suspension has been put back on the bike. Now I'm looking into the KYB conversion and that's about $2k and nice used cone valve forks aren't much more at all.
I haven't ridden either, so I don't know the difference. I do own a set of very well setup AER and they are pretty good, but I think I'd still refer a spring fork.
So for those in the know, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the A kit setup or is the KYB conversion going to work as well for me?
Keep in mind, I'm a Vet C rider and don't really race anymore. My kid will also be riding the bike here and there as he transitions off of 85s. I honestly don't need A kit suspension, but this bike is definitely worthy of having them.
I will give you my opinion on the kyb technical touch vs AER. The kyb adds quite a bit of weight. In a good way that is. You just hook up better in corners. That's it... That's all I got for 2grand. My AER forks set up by MVR are hands down night and day better. Small chop is non existent and with breaking bumps you feel your arms moving but not the harsh contact with the ground. The AER has amazing bottoming resistance. Best part is with MVR I got the revalve, polished fork tubes, All for $440
Rotaholic
10/23/2020 6:15pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I've got a bike coming that I'll be posting a build thread on later, but the bike is going to be a fun one. I'll save...
I've got a bike coming that I'll be posting a build thread on later, but the bike is going to be a fun one. I'll save the details for later.
Initially it was supposed to come with A kit suspension on it but that deal fell through and stock suspension has been put back on the bike. Now I'm looking into the KYB conversion and that's about $2k and nice used cone valve forks aren't much more at all.
I haven't ridden either, so I don't know the difference. I do own a set of very well setup AER and they are pretty good, but I think I'd still refer a spring fork.
So for those in the know, is it worth it to spend the extra money on the A kit setup or is the KYB conversion going to work as well for me?
Keep in mind, I'm a Vet C rider and don't really race anymore. My kid will also be riding the bike here and there as he transitions off of 85s. I honestly don't need A kit suspension, but this bike is definitely worthy of having them.
I will give you my opinion on the kyb technical touch vs AER. The kyb adds quite a bit of weight. In a good way that...
I will give you my opinion on the kyb technical touch vs AER. The kyb adds quite a bit of weight. In a good way that is. You just hook up better in corners. That's it... That's all I got for 2grand. My AER forks set up by MVR are hands down night and day better. Small chop is non existent and with breaking bumps you feel your arms moving but not the harsh contact with the ground. The AER has amazing bottoming resistance. Best part is with MVR I got the revalve, polished fork tubes, All for $440
Sweet, want to sell your KYB kit then?
Pirate421
10/23/2020 6:36pm
I will give you my opinion on the kyb technical touch vs AER. The kyb adds quite a bit of weight. In a good way that...
I may have missed it but what is mvr? Looks like your in TN I’m down in Ky are they local to you? Thanks looking for a good place to get my suspension done without breaking the bank
PTshox
10/23/2020 7:28pm
Just buy a set the MXTECH lucky kit if you don't like the AER and put them in yourself.
PTshox
10/23/2020 7:37pm
jeffoff wrote:
wm741 wrote:
Call enzo CA and talk to Tyler. Ross created it. Look at their Instagram and there’s a few posts about it.
Can someone send a pic of this KYB shock conversion? I'd like to see it...
wm741
10/23/2020 8:10pm
PTshox wrote:
Can someone send a pic of this KYB shock conversion? I'd like to see it...
Still have to get my xtrig preload adjuster and his new compression adjuster installed but this will give you a good idea.

PTshox
10/23/2020 11:03pm
I'd stick with that plastic preload ring that you have on that... Those are great!

Just kidding... Unreal that KTM puts those on their WP shocks. Those things are a joke.
RF145
10/24/2020 12:33am
Two of my regular riding buddies (2020 450 & 2019 350 KTM’s) had FC revalve their forks and shocks for a fraction of what I paid for my KYB kit from RG3 and they are over the moon as to the improvement and comfort. They both loved my forks, yet hands down they love their mods more so. AND, Mr. 350 has gotten faster now that his comfort level has increased.
wm741
10/24/2020 2:25pm
RF145 wrote:
Two of my regular riding buddies (2020 450 & 2019 350 KTM’s) had FC revalve their forks and shocks for a fraction of what I paid...
Two of my regular riding buddies (2020 450 & 2019 350 KTM’s) had FC revalve their forks and shocks for a fraction of what I paid for my KYB kit from RG3 and they are over the moon as to the improvement and comfort. They both loved my forks, yet hands down they love their mods more so. AND, Mr. 350 has gotten faster now that his comfort level has increased.
I had my air stuff revalved as well. It was good but the front end was still too lite and felt very sketch coming into corners. My KYB kit tracks 💯 times better and settles in the corners better as well. Just my .02
AJ565
10/24/2020 5:15pm
wm741 wrote:
I had my air stuff revalved as well. It was good but the front end was still too lite and felt very sketch coming into corners...
I had my air stuff revalved as well. It was good but the front end was still too lite and felt very sketch coming into corners. My KYB kit tracks 💯 times better and settles in the corners better as well. Just my .02
You wanna swap forks at 3P some time? I wanna see how the KYB kit feels vs. my cone valves.
RF145
10/25/2020 2:10am
wm741 wrote:
I had my air stuff revalved as well. It was good but the front end was still too lite and felt very sketch coming into corners...
The only reason I went for the KYB Factory kit was for the “feel” I was missing with the stock 2019 Husqvarna AER fork. We played with my stock forks until they worked well enough, but I never got the feel I was so looking for.
I will have to ride my buddies 350 to really know how it functions. As I wrote, this was their perception.
Braaaphole
10/25/2020 1:28pm
I finally got the bike I started this thread about and got to ride it. I will say that the 20 AER forks are a huge improvement over the 17 version I had previously. Despite being too soft, they were nearly as good as the 17 set I had revalved and setup for me.
I will be switching them to the MX Tech Lucky inserts after the first of the year though.
wm741
10/27/2020 4:56am
wm741 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
You wanna swap forks at 3P some time? I wanna see how the KYB kit feels vs. my cone valves.
Shoot me a DM
Jeff_Brines
10/28/2020 6:38am
Just wanted to point out WP is now offering a spring conversion. Not sure its posted in this thread (might have missed it). https://www.wp-suspension.com/procomponents/offroad/xact-pro-7500/

I don't have the experience on the motorized side that most in this thread do (only 3rd year), but I do have two decades of mountain bike racing & suspension tuning under my belt. Not exactly apples to apples, I know.

That said, I was pretty impressed with my AER forks this year after adding the MX-Tech mid-valve. I'm an off road, "hard enduro" type rider, so my $0.02 probably don't mean much. My valving package is very soft, and not all that suitable for track (though being able to go up in spring rate quickly does allow me to at least ride track). I'm an "A" in off road events if it matters.

I've also had KYB SSS forks (YZ250) and cone valves, though they lacked in tuning IMO. Currently, I'd take my 2020 AER over any other forks I've played with.

Again, off road use - TX300i.

Post a reply to: WP A kit vs KYB spring conversion for AER?

The Latest