Tyla Rattray interview

Related:
Create New Tag

2/5/2014 3:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 3:53 AM

For those that are interested.

Tyla Rattray is very much a guy you just want to like. Down to earth, funny and a true professional in the sport. The South African is also one of the few riders who has been able to beat Antonio Cairoli for a World title, and while that title was won after Cairoli got injured at the South African GP, Rattray had shown enough in the 2008 season to let us know he was all business.

His performances in Europe place him amongst some of the best riders of his era and his dedication to perfection is something that should see him well placed in 2014. Consistency is what wins Antonio Cairoli World titles and Rattray knows that better than anyone.

We caught up with Tyla Rattray in Italy last weekend and asked him about his chances in 2014 and what has changed in his life since he moved to America in 2009.

MXlarge: Tyla, firstly welcome back. Being away racing in America, on different types of circuits and in a series that is totally different from the Grand Prix series. Will it be tough to adjust to the GP series?

Rattray: I don’t think so. I was here for 8 years and I went to America for 5 years, so I know what to expect and it is something I am looking forward to ending the last part of my career in Europe. It’s a good decision and one I will enjoy.

http://www.mxlarge.com/2014/02/05/tyla-rattray-interview/

|

www.mxlarge.com the biggest English speaking MX website in Europe

2/5/2014 3:45 AM

'We caught up with Antonio Cairoli in Italy last weekend and asked him about his chances in 2014 and what has changed in his life since he moved to America in 2009.'

?????

|

Jeff Emigs Keys to the Race:
1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

2/5/2014 3:48 AM

jamma10 wrote:

'We caught up with Antonio Cairoli in Italy last weekend and asked him about his chances in 2014 and what has changed in his ...more

Oops

|

2/5/2014 3:48 AM

Fixed!!! Hahahaha

|

2/5/2014 3:51 AM

looking forward to seeing tyla in action at hawkstone international in 2 weeks!!!!!!

|

2/5/2014 3:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 3:55 AM

2strokerider wrote:

looking forward to seeing tyla in action at hawkstone international in 2 weeks!!!!!!

Same! The lineup is looking strong, especially in MX1.

Then of course there is Herlings in MX2... It will be interesting to see if anyone can catch him in the Superfinal with a headstart, I doubt it though. Leok only just caught Roczen with a lap or two to go a few years ago.

|

1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

2/5/2014 4:48 AM

I hope he does well.

Have you ever noticed that some mx racers use the word "obviously" way too much? I'm no english major but why is it always obvious? It seems like guys who trained with Aldon Baker in that group do this, RV, Weimer, Ciancurulo, Rattray. Nick Wey also. I can not even listen to Weimer's interviews, he says it so often. Flame away...

|

2/5/2014 4:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 5:01 AM

Be interesting to see where Tyla factors in; if he is indeed a genuine title contender, or just a top 5 -10 player etc. Iv'e always found him likeable and hope he does well, although there will undoubtedly be some added challenges with any new team. I don't think he can beat Tony for the title, but will imo be a contender here and there for moto wins. We'll see. Looking forward to this season a whole lot more with him on the gate this year.

|

2/5/2014 5:32 AM

Motocross83 wrote:

Be interesting to see where Tyla factors in; if he is indeed a genuine title contender, or just a top 5 -10 player etc. Iv'e ...more

I hope he does better than Pourcel or Townley when they returned from losing all their confidence in USA. Mind you the whole getting used to the different circuits and stuff seems to work on both sides of the atlantic.

|

2/5/2014 5:36 AM

2strokerider wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

Then of course there is Herlings in MX2... It will be interesting to ...more

if anyone can catch up to herlings on a sand track when he's had a head start?!!!! i think its more likely that herlings laps everyone (including mx1) or he might even wait for them.

Hope the weather picks up as im racing in the support class at hawkstone! should be interesting to ride the track on the same weekend as the pros- like you say its a super strong lineup this year (probably the best ever? ) - they should all be race ready with it being so close to the first gp too.

|

2/5/2014 5:43 AM

2strokerider wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

2strokerider wrote:

if anyone can catch up to herlings on a sand track when he's had a head start?!!!! i think its more likely that herlings laps ...more

Best lineup ever? Did you miss the eras when they would have all three World 125, 250 and 500 champs at the event? I didn't start going to Hawkstone until I think ten years ago, but that race they had Everts, Smets, Pichon, Ramon, Coppins and a bunch more.

|

2/5/2014 10:00 AM

|

2/5/2014 10:09 AM

I know, already! Obviously!

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

2/5/2014 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 10:26 AM

2strokerider wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

2strokerider wrote:

if anyone can catch up to herlings on a sand track when he's had a head start?!!!! i think its more likely that herlings laps ...more

It's not exactly Lommel or Leirop though is it?

I'm not sure you could even call it a proper sand track these days. Plus Herlings is just returning from injury.

|

1. Get a good start
2. Don't crash

2/5/2014 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/5/2014 11:40 AM

jamma10 wrote:

2strokerider wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

It's not exactly Lommel or Leirop though is it?

I'm not sure you could even call it a proper sand track these days. Plus ...more

its not lommel or lierop- its similar ground to valkenswaard. Anything remotely sandy and jeffrey is on a different level to the rest. Look at his performances at valkenswaard/ kegums- both fairly sandy but by no means deep sand! Hawkstone isnt a particularly deep sand track but its still sandy based and gets real rough and rutty. Even coming back from injury in my opinion nobody will be anywhere near his speed round there (regardless of engine size) - i guess we wont know until 23rd february, but i will be very surprised if anyone is within 3 seconds a lap of herlings round hawkstone- in either class!

I think it will be demoralising if i look at the timing sheets and compare my laptimes to jeffreys at the international!!!!!!! so i might not look haha

|

2/5/2014 10:45 AM

jamma10 wrote:

2strokerider wrote:

Motocross Illustrated wrote:

Best lineup ever? Did you miss the eras when they would have all three World 125, 250 and 500 champs at the event? I didn't ...more

they have had some great riders before, no doubt about that! still a cracking line up this year though!

|

2/5/2014 12:10 PM

kzizok wrote:

I know, already! Obviously!

Obviously, that was tough to watch...

|

2/5/2014 1:20 PM

2strokerider wrote:

its not lommel or lierop- its similar ground to valkenswaard. Anything remotely sandy and jeffrey is on a different level to ...more

Herlings is just about untouchable in my opinion.

Cairolli is a solid championship winning machine but Desalle can beat him from time to time. Would love to see Desalle put together a healthy 100 percent season.....ditto for Paulin and have MXGP be a real title battle.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

2/5/2014 1:54 PM

Motocross83 wrote:

Be interesting to see where Tyla factors in; if he is indeed a genuine title contender, or just a top 5 -10 player etc. Iv'e ...more

I hope he does better than Pourcel or Townley when they returned from losing all their confidence in USA. Mind you the whole ...more

Townley losing all his confidence? You have to be fucking kidding. The man had his share of injuries but he always hauled ass on the USA tracks.

|

2/5/2014 2:18 PM

Motocross83 wrote:

I hope he does better than Pourcel or Townley when they returned from losing all their confidence in USA. Mind you the whole ...more

wired4speed wrote:

Townley losing all his confidence? You have to be fucking kidding. The man had his share of injuries but he always hauled ass ...more

Same with Pourcel. I don't think having Dungey and Canard pretty much covered hurt his confidence.

|

2/6/2014 12:12 PM

wired4speed wrote:

Townley losing all his confidence? You have to be fucking kidding. The man had his share of injuries but he always hauled ass ...more

visser62 wrote:

Same with Pourcel. I don't think having Dungey and Canard pretty much covered hurt his confidence.

Photo
From what I remember Pourcel almost pulled out a 250f Championship. Would have loved to see both Pourcel and Townley on factory 450fs.
|

2/6/2014 12:26 PM

Obviously you know he's been great for the pens. Obviously you know obviously

|