Tomac's technique

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2014 5:40 PM

Anybody else notice Tomac hanging his outside (to the direction of his whip) leg off every time he hit a jump seated? I have pretty wandering feet when I ride and understand using it to bring the tail back, but I just found it interesting that he takes it off before the jump.

|

7/21/2014 5:54 PM

I noticed that also. It looked like maybe it helps from loading up the suspension on take off? or maybe he was just feeling it and letting his legs flop around while he kicked the tracks ass...lol smile

|

7/21/2014 6:02 PM

Yep I noticed that too.And the way he rode last weekend everybody will be trying it there will be allot of leg swagging going on all over the country

|

7/21/2014 6:40 PM

Yeah I saw that at Washougal last year, he actually scoops the peg with his foot and lifts the bike when he scrubs like that. Preload, scoop , scrub. Really sick to watch in person.

|

7/21/2014 6:51 PM

Leg swag for dayzzzzz

|

7/21/2014 7:15 PM

Id say its to unweight one side of the bike making a scrub/whip a little easier

|

7/21/2014 7:47 PM

I think the dude was just in the zone and flowing . I wouldn't recommend trying to jump anything with one leg hangin off the bike.

|

7/21/2014 7:54 PM

^^ +1... Even on the professional level, the top tier guys Tomac are riding in a manner that the rest of us mere mortals can only gawk at..

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

7/21/2014 8:00 PM

Sloaner104 wrote:

I think the dude was just in the zone and flowing . I wouldn't recommend trying to jump anything with one leg hangin off the ...more

Its actually not as crazy or intense as you think... As long as you in a good position on the bike you could hit a jump with a foot of the pegs.

|

7/21/2014 8:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2014 8:02 PM

Yeah hes been doing it since the last few rounds on his 250. He may just be feeling the flow, or what you guys mentioned above.

|

7/21/2014 8:30 PM

Sloaner104 wrote:

I think the dude was just in the zone and flowing . I wouldn't recommend trying to jump anything with one leg hangin off the ...more

Why not? I do all the time out of corners.

|

7/21/2014 8:32 PM

Momentum of the leg going down when he comes of the lip keeps him lower ?

|

7/21/2014 8:53 PM

He was hitting that uphill pretty fast is what I'm referring to Griieby . I guess I coulda used better explanation of what I was describing

|

7/21/2014 8:55 PM

If you listen to Eli's pulpcast, he doesn't condone the leg hanging technique...

"..I don't know wishy washy, blowing my feet off the pegs up some of the hills, getting a little sketchy here and there, and I was like 'man get your act together'."

Just holding that bike wide open ! w00t

|

7/21/2014 8:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2014 8:59 PM

Sullivan315 wrote:

LOL... You guys think about this way too much....

Tomac was asked about this specific issue on the Pulp MX Show by a caller. I believe his answer was something to the effect of...

"I have no idea why do that. I just do. My dad was telling me I should stop. But I can't tell I am doing it. I dont worry about it...."

I am sure you can dig through the shows he has been on and find the clip. Basically...the talent and skill of these guys is so high...they are have internalized things the point that their technique evolves without them even knowing why or how.

|

7/21/2014 9:26 PM

Sullivan315 wrote:

StartedTooLate wrote:

LOL... You guys think about this way too much....

Tomac was asked about this specific issue on the Pulp MX Show by a caller. ...more

Im not thinking about it too much... Im just speaking from expierence that if you take a foot off the peg it unweights that side making it easier to move the bike in a certain direction.

|

7/21/2014 9:36 PM

I just thought it was funny that the guy who does it was asked about it...and seems to think about it less than people who watch him....

|

7/21/2014 9:42 PM

After we saw him do it at Washougal last year, my buddy asked him while Tomac was walking around the pits . He basiclly said the same thing that he didn't know that was happening, he was just trying to get through the whoops and the finish line roller fast.

|

7/21/2014 11:11 PM

last year I thought he would have problems riding like this on the big bike...
not sure how he can ride like this for 35min but he did prove me wrong

|

7/21/2014 11:51 PM

I know if i was doing that i would be performing a superman into hospital

|

7/22/2014 3:39 AM

dunno about the leg thing but its good to see him with a protein shake on the podium instead of rubbish energy drinks .
\

|

7/22/2014 3:46 AM

Sullivan315 wrote:

Thats what I got out of it.

|

7/22/2014 4:45 AM

dirtaddict wrote:

dunno about the leg thing but its good to see him with a protein shake on the podium instead of rubbish energy drinks .
\

Does he have an energy drink sponsor? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he does.

|

7/22/2014 7:29 PM

dirtaddict wrote:

\

IWreckALot wrote:

Does he have an energy drink sponsor? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he does.

Just muscle milk, which of course is protein drink, I like the angle better than energy drinks as well.

|

7/22/2014 7:44 PM

I found the clip. It was funny. Eli actually said..."I have no idea wham I am doing..."

|

7/22/2014 8:19 PM

I noticed it for the first time this past weekend. He was just flowing. I was actually really impressed he looked so relaxed in the middle of such a heated battle. He seemed to be totally comfortable putting pressure on Ken. Remained loose and flowing the whole time. That was an amazing ride! That kid is going places.

|

Recovering JS7, PED, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, Alessi, thread poster....