Time to fix the tuff blocks

MXR
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:05pm
This crap happened last year . What are they waiting for ? Does someone have to die with one of things in the rear wheel before they are properly tied down / fasted to the block ? It can't be that hard .
|
MXR
1/3/2009 10:47pm
FIX THE FUCKING TUFFBLOCK COVERS ! THIS SPORT IS DANGEROUS ENOUGH !
Foo723
1/3/2009 10:55pm
it woudnt be that hard to fix, spray paint the styrofoam instead of putting a cover over it. wont look as nice but im sure there is some high quality paint out there that can do it. if the paint dont do it, work up some large decals for the intricate logos.

just send the royalty check to me, thanks
MXR
1/3/2009 10:57pm
Its a rider safety issue .
babba boey
1/3/2009 11:13pm
MXR wrote:
This crap happened last year . What are they waiting for ? Does someone have to die with one of things in the rear wheel before...
This crap happened last year . What are they waiting for ? Does someone have to die with one of things in the rear wheel before they are properly tied down / fasted to the block ? It can't be that hard .
It would cost too much money and take too much time. The covers are taken off many times during the year for cleaning it would take a long time to tie them back on. It would also cost more to make the covers with a fastener.

The Shop

MXR
1/3/2009 11:16pm
Do you work for the AMA ?
eddie
1/3/2009 11:18pm
lose the fireworks and get safer tuff blocks ?
babba boey
1/3/2009 11:18pm
MXR wrote:
No but I have worked at the races and they have a tight schedual already. It sounds like a simple fix but there is a whole truck load of tuf blocks on the track.
Camp332
1/3/2009 11:23pm
Foo723 wrote:
it woudnt be that hard to fix, spray paint the styrofoam instead of putting a cover over it. wont look as nice but im sure there...
it woudnt be that hard to fix, spray paint the styrofoam instead of putting a cover over it. wont look as nice but im sure there is some high quality paint out there that can do it. if the paint dont do it, work up some large decals for the intricate logos.

just send the royalty check to me, thanks
Bad idea, no checks for you. As a matter of fact, you owe me $5 for reading that bad idea.
RanelC10
Fantasy
2044th
1/3/2009 11:45pm
All you would have to do would be make the cover with two flaps on the bottom that either velcro together or have some sort of tie. The velcro would have to be strong. The tie could lace like a shoe, or im sure there are plenty of other ways it could tie. It would literally only take an extra few second on each block when setting up, and a little more banner material.

If Josh's front wheel hits that jump an inch lower he would have gone OTB, face first into the ground. That happens you would have heard an uproar from everyone that it needs to be fixed, instead most will wait for the crash before they do something about it.

If it takes longer, so what, its worth keeping the riders a little safer. Im sure they would agree.
MXR
1/3/2009 11:47pm
The AMA will secure them with razor wire next week .
33Grant
1/3/2009 11:59pm
I remember the same thing happening to K-Dub. Serious rider safety issue, but as mentioned, a close call isn't enough for the AMA.

My solution, print the sponsors on 3M vinyl, then you can just stick that to the tuff blocks (because it is so impairitive to have sponsors on there, and you may even end up getting 3M involved in sponsoring supercross.)
race
1/4/2009 12:02am
Velcro would be simple and cheap. And put an end to the covers being sucked into bikes.
MXMatt
1/5/2009 6:33am
They gotta do something and fast!
danman
1/5/2009 6:50am
Simple fix, stay the hell away!
Nothing is forcing them from stopping and pulling them out of their wheels.
Next your going to want to pull out the steel finish line structure because one rider might push another into it! HAHA!
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
1/5/2009 8:26am
MXR wrote:
HA HA. The AMA doesn't work?
Sawblade
1/5/2009 8:34am
hillbilly wrote:
you have the choice to stop and get it out
True, but you’re missing the point. Its ridicules that a tuff block cover can potential effect the outcome of a race, not to mention the safety issue it creates.
Slow ~ Pro
1/5/2009 8:35am
MXR wrote:
FIX THE FUCKING TUFFBLOCK COVERS ! THIS SPORT IS DANGEROUS ENOUGH !
The point is, they're suppose to go around the Tuff blocks, not over, or through them !
Devil1nNj
1/5/2009 8:36am
danman wrote:
Simple fix, stay the hell away! Nothing is forcing them from stopping and pulling them out of their wheels. Next your going to want to pull...
Next your going to want to pull out the steel finish line structure because one rider might push another into it! HAHA!
Like the famous Canard/Vilo incident for the championship? haha Lets take out the jumps too LoL

I was thinking the same thing with the 2 strap idea mentioned by a few other guys. It would keep the cover on the tuff block, so if a rider got one caught on the bike , the whole block would go with it, and the rider would have to get it out for his own safety. It would also allow air to escape from the cover if a rider landed on it.
JustMX
1/5/2009 9:23am
The simple solution would be to make them more like a bag then a cover.

Slide the tough block in and put the open end facing away from traffic.

Of course than when they hook one with a foot peg they will be pulling around an entire toughblock instead of just the cover.

That is not a safety issue though.
hillbilly
1/6/2009 11:07am
hillbilly wrote:
Sawblade wrote:
True, but you’re missing the point. Its ridicules that a tuff block cover can potential effect the outcome of a race, not to mention the safety...
True, but you’re missing the point. Its ridicules that a tuff block cover can potential effect the outcome of a race, not to mention the safety issue it creates.
I got the point,when I was doing SX's the track was lined with haybales and stakes.

One 20 degree nite at fulton county stadium I had last gate pick for the semi.The start was 7th gear all the way down left field foul line.When I caught sixth gear the pack moved left and I got on top of the haybales,endoed then hit that plastic sheeting they laid on the plywood.My god it was like an ice skating rink.I stopped when I hit a wall feet first with fans spilling cold beer on me.

Give me tuff blocks anyday

hillbilly
1/6/2009 11:07am
hillbilly wrote:
Sawblade wrote:
True, but you’re missing the point. Its ridicules that a tuff block cover can potential effect the outcome of a race, not to mention the safety...
I got the point,when I was doing SX's the track was lined with haybales and stakes.

One 20 degree nite at fulton county stadium I had last gate pick for the semi.The start was 7th gear all the way down left field foul line.When I caught sixth gear the pack moved left and I got on top of the haybales,endoed then hit that plastic sheeting they laid on the plywood.My god it was like an ice skating rink.I stopped when I hit a wall feet first with fans spilling cold beer on me.

Give me tuff blocks anyday

Titan
1/6/2009 11:10am
MXR wrote:
This crap happened last year . What are they waiting for ? Does someone have to die with one of things in the rear wheel before...
Back to hay bales, then?
TerryK
1/6/2009 11:17am
Have them sealed. Sewn on all sides. Easy to clean and they will never come off.
SEEMEFIRST
1/6/2009 11:21am
Strapping the covers down wouldn't help. The things tear apart. I helped 2 years ago at the Dallas SX, and my job during the races was to replace the damaged covers to keep the sponsors happy. Of the 1/2 dozen or so I replaced, not 1 pulled off the top. Every one was ripped.

They are made of vinyl like banner material for durability, but can't handle an axle bolt.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
1/6/2009 11:22am
danman wrote:
Simple fix, stay the hell away! Nothing is forcing them from stopping and pulling them out of their wheels. Next your going to want to pull...
Kinda follow that logic as well.
jonjon714
1/6/2009 11:23am
Do the "blocks" fold up for transport?

Post a reply to: Time to fix the tuff blocks

The Latest