The real problem

sixeightynine
Was there really anything wrong with our format? Yes and No.

I believe every gate drop should mean something. It must play out to the big picture, not just gate picks, bragging rights and TV time. If it's not in the record books, it won't be remembered.

Triple Crown format works great for Monster Cup, due to the insured million on the line. Race 1 is exciting, let's see who has a chance to chase the big money tonight. Race 2 keeps you glued to the TV, can the winner from race 1 keep this rolling? Now there's two scenarios... The perfect storm, Trey Canard 2014, let's see if he can pull this thing off. Or a Justin Barcia win in 2012, which still keeps you anticipating the overall crown, with 3 different moto winners. The gate drops are lackluster without a sweep incentive. Feld must put a program in place for sweeping the evening... $50-$100k?

Our standard format builds suspense for the main events, which the current triple crown format does not.

To my final argument... retaining our standard heat/lcq/main format, what if we paid additional points to heat race winners? 4 additional points would be just enough to bump a 2nd place main event finish, to an overall win. This system would bring urgency to win at every gate drop, keeping our championship points tighter, and building anticipation for a true main event.
|
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
1/24/2018 8:07am
I like the idea of more points-scoring opportunities. Even qualifying should mean something.
brocster
1/24/2018 8:13am
If I remember correctly or maybe I dreamt it, but I think there is an incentive of some sort for all 3 Triple Crown events together as a series but not at each individual event.
Acidreamer
1/24/2018 8:41am
Why would you give 4 points to a heat winner? Thats basically awarding 7 points a night to the overall winner. Tomac would wrap the season up in a month lmao
Donovan759
1/24/2018 8:46am
I think that's exactly why I lost a bit of interest during the broadcast. The normal format builds suspense and the climax (hopefully) is the main event. The triple crown didn't build suspense. It was more like groundhog day. I liked it. But I prefer the normal format for the whole year.

The Shop

sixeightynine
1/24/2018 9:20am
Acidreamer wrote:
Why would you give 4 points to a heat winner? Thats basically awarding 7 points a night to the overall winner. Tomac would wrap the season...
Why would you give 4 points to a heat winner? Thats basically awarding 7 points a night to the overall winner. Tomac would wrap the season up in a month lmao
Here are the stats...
Tomac and Anderson both won 5 out of 17 heat races in 2017. Less than 1/3.
Dungey won 7 out of 17.

It's about making each gate drop count on the night, and building suspense for the main.

kkawboy14
1/24/2018 9:22am
They wanted “more parody and the Z generation” in my opinion that format will get that and more.
FolkLoar
1/24/2018 9:57am
Is the rider purse any different on Triple Crown nights?
bball35
1/24/2018 10:00am
The only problem I see is taking away the semis. If the semis are never coming back, I say replacing it with two main events for each class.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/24/2018 10:17am
kkawboy14 wrote:
They wanted “more parody and the Z generation” in my opinion that format will get that and more.
Please, it is PARITY not PARODY, unless you are talking about Ralph and Jeff who seem to be a parody of bad announcers. Wish we could just get the guys from "best in show" to do the commentary.
motomojo
1/24/2018 10:27am
Since SX is mostly about entertainment and becoming less and less a professional racing series why not add points for tricks.
Running behind in a main just toss in a few nac nac's or a backflip and your 're right back in the race. The fans would love it, die hard MX fans not so much but seems they are not catering to us anyway so why not go full blown circus.
TDeath21
1/24/2018 10:45am
Increase the points for a winner in a regular race to be 30. I loved it at 25 and thought it was perfect, but now they’ve changed it to 26. Might as well make it 30.

Triple crown races pay 10 points per moto to win. Point totals drop by 1 each position. You’re out of the top 10 in any individual moto, you score 0 points. But still only drop 10 in the individual moto to the winner. Overall points leader at the end of 3 motos wins the overall. Tie breaker being the 3rd moto. Add an extra cash incentive as well in each triple crown race. For all riders. That way if you’re outside the top 10 in each race you will still get paid more than normal.

This way, 3 shorter races in the triple crown will equal the point total of a normal race for the top guys (or close to it at least) and an extra cash incentive. It also solves the problem of the third moto being meaningless.

For the record, I’m not a fan of this format for any points paying races. However, if we are going to have it, the last race of the night should certainly mean something. I feel like this is a good solution.
1/24/2018 10:56am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 10:58am
early wrote:
Please, it is PARITY not PARODY, unless you are talking about Ralph and Jeff who seem to be a parody of bad announcers. Wish we could...
Please, it is PARITY not PARODY, unless you are talking about Ralph and Jeff who seem to be a parody of bad announcers. Wish we could just get the guys from "best in show" to do the commentary.
I know, man, I keep seeing the word "parody" all over this site.

It's apropos, though. I've always thought of Supercross as a parody of real motocross.
1/24/2018 10:58am
motomojo wrote:
Since SX is mostly about entertainment and becoming less and less a professional racing series why not add points for tricks. Running behind in a main...
Since SX is mostly about entertainment and becoming less and less a professional racing series why not add points for tricks.
Running behind in a main just toss in a few nac nac's or a backflip and your 're right back in the race. The fans would love it, die hard MX fans not so much but seems they are not catering to us anyway so why not go full blown circus.
I've always thought that too. Supercross has always been a freak show, so why not just ratchet up the circus act?

(And don't kid yourself, a lot of people here -- maybe most of them -- would love it.)
kkawboy14
1/24/2018 11:06am
kkawboy14 wrote:
early wrote:
Please, it is PARITY not PARODY, unless you are talking about Ralph and Jeff who seem to be a parody of bad announcers. Wish we could...
Sorry!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/24/2018 11:08am
MX Guy wrote:
I like the idea of more points-scoring opportunities. Even qualifying should mean something.
If I were going to throw my .02 in here, I'd suggest the risk/reward scale is tipped a little too far onto the risk side.

What would I change?

I think the format of timed races is okay.
But all mains should get paid points.

That's how you make it not just a triple crown, but a tripleheader.
Camp332
1/24/2018 11:11am
I agree with the OP. The triple main event has zero suspense factor. Stick with one main event so there is actual hype among us fans when we're bro'ing down with cold ones and pizza. Nothing like punching my homie in the face right before a main event!
sixeightynine
1/24/2018 11:27am
Camp332 wrote:
I agree with the OP. The triple main event has zero suspense factor. Stick with one main event so there is actual hype among us fans...
I agree with the OP. The triple main event has zero suspense factor. Stick with one main event so there is actual hype among us fans when we're bro'ing down with cold ones and pizza. Nothing like punching my homie in the face right before a main event!
Exactly. If real fans and enthusiasts don't find it suspenseful, how can the average viewer?

I can't see ratings going up with the current triple crown format. People have a hard enough time comprehending 2 outdoor motos.
Johnny Depp
1/24/2018 11:35am
A casual fan knows the last race is the one that matters for the last 30 years, so I guess Jason won?
Stoneface
1/24/2018 12:27pm
I don't think you can award points for heat race finishes unless it is done by timing. Those fields are often not weighted the same. Even then I think it would adversely affect the integrity of the championship.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
1/24/2018 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2018 9:50pm
MX Guy wrote:
GuyB wrote:
If I were going to throw my .02 in here, I'd suggest the risk/reward scale is tipped a little too far onto the risk side. What...
If I were going to throw my .02 in here, I'd suggest the risk/reward scale is tipped a little too far onto the risk side.

What would I change?

I think the format of timed races is okay.
But all mains should get paid points.

That's how you make it not just a triple crown, but a tripleheader.
Maybe if every round was made into a three main format I could see this working.

For the current format, is it possible to do that without sucomming to the risk of an attrition depleted field rendering this new points structure not as useful as it currently is claimed to be? If this change was indeed made to benefit the points-scoring of main event winners, there's a reverse to the benefit in the form of a back-hand to the face of any rider that has a bad night during one of these triple-headers.

A huge loss of points in this scenario would seem rather brutal to both a rider and team.

Post a reply to: The real problem

The Latest