The RC Oakley poster....

Taylor415
Edited Date/Time 4/8/2019 10:57am
I half ass looked for it, but someone here had one that they were talking about scanning. Gahhhdamn I still want that thing. One of my favorite moto shots.
|
49weasel
11/9/2018 7:22pm
I had 2 good friends that worked for Oakley around that time and I had an endless supply of the posters.
I Feel like a dumbass for not hanging on to any of them. At one time a lot of the Oakley poster were getting good money on eBay.
Taylor415
11/9/2018 8:27pm
shit, even now when they go up on eBay they fetch a good bit. I'd love a framed over the couch.
JG463
11/9/2018 10:25pm
Hultner Photo, right?
PastranaWho
11/10/2018 4:56am
Always wanted that poster.Thats a awesome shot, RC goat !

The Shop

Mikep147
11/10/2018 6:24am
I have this one in my garage. I think it was a dealer only item as it is thick like a banner.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
11/10/2018 6:31am
I have a special one in storage somewhere. Its on some really thick photo paper. My friends is just regular poster paper. One day at Gatorback RC pulls up in a pick up with bike in back and parks next to us as he and James and Davi and... have so many times racing in Florida all my life. Well RC pulls out 5 of these giant photo paper posters and hands one to me. Probably the best poster ever. Had it up in my old house and will be up in next one.
Taylor415
11/10/2018 5:08pm
FLmxer wrote:
I have a special one in storage somewhere. Its on some really thick photo paper. My friends is just regular poster paper. One day at Gatorback...
I have a special one in storage somewhere. Its on some really thick photo paper. My friends is just regular poster paper. One day at Gatorback RC pulls up in a pick up with bike in back and parks next to us as he and James and Davi and... have so many times racing in Florida all my life. Well RC pulls out 5 of these giant photo paper posters and hands one to me. Probably the best poster ever. Had it up in my old house and will be up in next one.
That’s awesome! Yes, best poster ever for sure.
ledger
11/10/2018 5:59pm
Very worthy poster, just read more about the same in the Vital HOF.
Tryhard
11/11/2018 4:54am
I would love to have this poster .
gnarwhip
11/11/2018 9:57am
JG463 wrote:
Hultner Photo, right?
He recently started an Instagram page and posts epic photos from his career almost every day. I highly recommend following @hultnerphoto
11/12/2018 7:03am
Mine's mounted on foam core, otherwise I'd consider scanning it for you guys.

I'm still not sure how it's survived all these years. I've moved at least 8 times since I got it.

11/12/2018 7:39am
Embarrassing story time...

So I had just found mx at 13-14 and was completely absorbed by it. 14 year olds ain't got a damn thing else to thing about...

I remember this pic was in a two page spread in a moto mag, and I was just fascinated with it. I still have memories of listening to cheesy music and zoning out to it wondering how anything could be any fucking cooler than this.

I'm 32 now and even though I've seen so many neat things in this sport, this picture is still All Time Cool.

Update: Cheesy music may have been Kid rock's Only God Knows Why. UnsureSadWoohooPinch
Torco1
11/12/2018 10:28am
That pic was up on a billboard off the 405 freeway near Torrance a long time ago.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3887th
11/12/2018 10:33am
If I remember correctly, Factory Effex has that poster up on their wall in one of the managers office.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/12/2018 10:45am
If I remember correctly, Factory Effex has that poster up on their wall in one of the managers office.
That would explain why I feel like I had just seen it recently!
Rabbit
11/12/2018 11:15am
Mikep147 wrote:
I have this one in my garage. I think it was a dealer only item as it is thick like a banner. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/10/301541/s1200_rcoakley.jpg[/img]
I have this one in my garage. I think it was a dealer only item as it is thick like a banner.
I have this one in my garage too. I got it from my optometrist of all people. And he didn't even moto!
AmateurMX
11/12/2018 11:41am
JG463 wrote:
Hultner Photo, right?
gnarwhip wrote:
He recently started an Instagram page and posts epic photos from his career almost every day. I highly recommend following @hultnerphoto
Hey, thanks for the mention!

For the record, I did not shoot that killer RC whip photo. The guy who shot it was a fan in the stands. He gave a print of it to someone in RC's camp and Oakley got a hold of it and used it without his permission. (not 100% sure, but I think that's how it went down) Anyway, he sued Oakley and it turned into a pretty big deal.

My only attachment to that photo is that I shot the billboard of it on the 101 freeway for the cover of the last issue of Racer X as a newspaper.

That's all I know about that.

Follow me on instagram @hultnerphoto

JG463
11/12/2018 12:55pm
AmateurMX wrote:
Hey, thanks for the mention! For the record, I did not shoot that killer RC whip photo. The guy who shot it was a fan in...
Hey, thanks for the mention!

For the record, I did not shoot that killer RC whip photo. The guy who shot it was a fan in the stands. He gave a print of it to someone in RC's camp and Oakley got a hold of it and used it without his permission. (not 100% sure, but I think that's how it went down) Anyway, he sued Oakley and it turned into a pretty big deal.

My only attachment to that photo is that I shot the billboard of it on the 101 freeway for the cover of the last issue of Racer X as a newspaper.

That's all I know about that.

Follow me on instagram @hultnerphoto

Chris,

Originally from Stillwater, been following your stuff since I was on 80’s (02 ish) always great work. Thanks for the back story! I forgot about the sign being on the highway in Cali. Regardless, cool story about an epic photo.
11/12/2018 7:03pm
I had mine laminated years ago when it started to get worn/torn from being transplanted too often. Saw it hanging in a bike shop in the late 90’s and it literally froze me right in my tracks. There’s certainly no shortage of posters of bikes being flicked flat but man…something different going on with this one. For myself, it subtlety captures the essence of SX racing on the grandiose stage; fvking cool beyond words. I went back a few weeks later for some parts and the poster had been taken down. Asked around a bit and a few minutes later I was walking out with it.

It’s hanging in my basement now and I probably walk by it 10 times/day and even now, sometimes I will still slowly pause for a few seconds to bask in that primal connection to motorcycle racing this photo evokes.

Tryhard
11/13/2018 2:01pm
I had mine laminated years ago when it started to get worn/torn from being transplanted too often. Saw it hanging in a bike shop in the...
I had mine laminated years ago when it started to get worn/torn from being transplanted too often. Saw it hanging in a bike shop in the late 90’s and it literally froze me right in my tracks. There’s certainly no shortage of posters of bikes being flicked flat but man…something different going on with this one. For myself, it subtlety captures the essence of SX racing on the grandiose stage; fvking cool beyond words. I went back a few weeks later for some parts and the poster had been taken down. Asked around a bit and a few minutes later I was walking out with it.

It’s hanging in my basement now and I probably walk by it 10 times/day and even now, sometimes I will still slowly pause for a few seconds to bask in that primal connection to motorcycle racing this photo evokes.

Wow that's awesome .... if anyone gets any intel on a scanned copy or if anyone wants to jump in on a group buy and we have someone who can get the print . I would definatly be game !
11/13/2018 2:50pm
I had mine laminated years ago when it started to get worn/torn from being transplanted too often. Saw it hanging in a bike shop in the...

Tryhard wrote:
Wow that's awesome .... if anyone gets any intel on a scanned copy or if anyone wants to jump in on a group buy and we...
Wow that's awesome .... if anyone gets any intel on a scanned copy or if anyone wants to jump in on a group buy and we have someone who can get the print . I would definatly be game !
Add me to the list of buyers
JG463
11/13/2018 4:57pm
Add me as well!!
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
11/13/2018 7:07pm
JG463 wrote:
Add me as well!!
Me 3! Surely if the story above is true and oakley stole the photo they should be fine with us scanning it for "personal use"!!
x-gamer
11/14/2018 5:18am
If memory serves me right, after seeing the picture on a billboard the guy that took the pic wanted so much money Oakley said No Way and the billboards were removed and no more posters were made. Instant collectors item. I still have my RC signed one rolled up in a tube. I remember how Cool it was the first time I saw that pic on the billboard on the 405 by Wilmington Ave leaving work. Having raced Mx since 1969 it was then that I knew Moto had finally made it mainstream. And a Big Thanks to Vital for Helping keep it Mainstream.
Taylor415
11/14/2018 10:02am

Tryhard wrote:
Wow that's awesome .... if anyone gets any intel on a scanned copy or if anyone wants to jump in on a group buy and we...
It’d be awesome if we could pull it off!

Post a reply to: The RC Oakley poster....

The Latest