Story Time - Toughness of MX/SX riders

Related:
Create New Tag

6/6/2019 3:45 AM

In a world/forum filled with much negativity, i thought it would be cool to share/remember some stories of riders bouncing back from a crash and show their heart during a race.

Just came back to this one on youtube during lunch break. Remember watching this crash from Reed in Millville live and thinking he would never stand up again, only to get back on his bike and jump the uphill triple like nothing happened.

Who has more stories like this?
|

6/6/2019 3:52 AM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

6/6/2019 9:15 AM

Not really a story about any certain rider in particular but more about the toughness of all of its competitors fast or slow, young or old who are brave enough to ride as compared to the NBA.

I don't know why it was even on but a few years ago i saw a player who slipped on some liquid on the court and slightly hyperextended his knee.

Which as absurd as it sounds led to the player rolling around like a chicken with his head cut off and crying like a baby who had its wooby taken away....which eventually led to all his teammates and even the head coach crying like babies over a flippin hyperextended knee.

It was pathetic!

|

6/6/2019 9:24 AM

|

6/6/2019 9:33 AM

He didn't finish but he's one tough SOB.

|

In the early 80's Rex Staten broke his collar bone in heat 1... strapped it up with ducktape etc with a shot for pain and went down to the line for heat 2.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2019 10:01 AM

Dungey finished his moto with a broken neck. Went on to finish 4th in moto 2. Went 2-4 for 2nd overall.

?start=105

?rel=0
|

6/6/2019 9:37 AM

Trey Canard ever racing again after getting landed on by Morais is fucking grit.

The balls it takes to go back out there after that happens to you? Massive.

|

If it can't be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.

6/6/2019 9:38 AM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Dungey finished his moto with a broken neck. Went on to finish 4th in moto 2. Went 2-4 for 2nd overall.

?start=105

?rel=0

Boom! Thats gotta be the ultimate right there.

|

6/6/2019 10:01 AM

There are lots of great examples but Stew at Daytona in 2011 is incredible. He is clearly concussed, the bike is bent up pretty good, and he gets going and even goes back to launching the same crazy wall jump that bit him. Big balls, big talent. Honestly, for how many times James hit the ground hard it was pretty amazing how he did not break many bones.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

6/6/2019 10:06 AM

Christophe Pourcel. Landed on a bike that was stuck in the mud. Paralysed, came back to win 2 Lites SX titles & nearly wins 2 outdoor titles.

|

6/6/2019 10:36 AM

Not mx/sx but Deegan coming back after that broken femur in winter x or who could forget tp199 his whole career pretty much.

|

why does Kermit's fingers always smell like pork?

6/6/2019 12:13 PM

The only sport near MXs level for toughness is hockey. Zdeno Chara is playing tonight less than a week after a slapshot broke his jaw.

|

Washed up Canadian ex-pro couch racer. Selling bikes for a living

2008 KTM 525XC
2009 KTM 450SX
2016 YFZ450R

6/6/2019 12:19 PM

|

6/6/2019 12:37 PM

Didnt cooper webb win an sx and mx title with broken wrists or something?

|

6/6/2019 12:44 PM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Christophe Pourcel. Landed on a bike that was stuck in the mud. Paralysed, came back to win 2 Lites SX titles & nearly wins 2 outdoor titles.

People forget about that. The dude laid flat on his back for 6 months being unable to move....and keyboard jabronis used to call him a pussy.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

6/6/2019 1:19 PM

bh84 wrote:

The only sport near MXs level for toughness is hockey. Zdeno Chara is playing tonight less than a week after a slapshot broke his jaw.

I think there's something to be said about bull riders as well....but the list is a very short one either way

|

6/6/2019 2:42 PM

|

o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o
Winning is the best deodorant.

6/6/2019 2:45 PM

|

6/6/2019 2:49 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

There are lots of great examples but Stew at Daytona in 2011 is incredible. He is clearly concussed, the bike is bent up pretty good, and he gets going and even goes back to launching the same crazy wall jump that bit him. Big balls, big talent. Honestly, for how many times James hit the ground hard it was pretty amazing how he did not break many bones.

Funny you brought that up. I was thinking the exact thing this week when someone compared Herlings to James. Blazing fast speed but the crashing. I thought about the comparison and I don't feel like JH crashes allot but when he does he breaks. James on the other hand ate shit ALLOT but usually bounced right back

|

6/6/2019 2:51 PM

Boomslang wrote:

In the early 80's Rex Staten broke his collar bone in heat 1... strapped it up with ducktape etc with a shot for pain and went down to the line for heat 2.

Everyone is diff but I couldn't even fathom that. Just trying to bench press a couple months after my collarbone broke was agony

|

6/6/2019 4:01 PM

Was it Ricky Carmichael or Kevin Windham that ate shit hard at Glen Helen and raced with a swollen purple leg? Back in 05 or so? I googled buy couldn't find the find the pictures. His leg looked like it needed to be amputated.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

6/6/2019 4:14 PM

bh84 wrote:

Australian Rules Football players are some tough cusses.

|

6/6/2019 4:26 PM

What's the story on the guy covered in blood? I assume it's a GP guy, but I don't think I've ever heard about it.

|

6/6/2019 4:48 PM

Sully wrote:

What's the story on the guy covered in blood? I assume it's a GP guy, but I don't think I've ever heard about it.

Jeremy Seewer, rock to the face.

|

6/6/2019 8:06 PM

I am going to guess it's not the same as what others have gone through, but I broke a collarbone in practice and raced an entire moto on it when I was younger and a couple years ago during a race I jumped into the face of a jump in a rhythm section and broke my ankle, but finished the race on it.

Maybe we're just dumb..?

|

6/6/2019 10:52 PM

Reed dislocated his shoulder during a race, stopped on the track and yanked it back in place while holding on to the bars then took off and finished the moto.

|

6/6/2019 10:55 PM

SCR wrote:

Reed dislocated his shoulder during a race, stopped on the track and yanked it back in place while holding on to the bars then took off and finished the moto.

Southwick '02?

|

6/6/2019 11:29 PM

If your talking about overall careers.. Kroc, TP199, Doug Henry and Pourcel are the big stand out guys for me. The mental challenges they have gone through are like no other.

But If your talking about one race incidents and still finishing,
Reedy has had some big ones... To me, the 2008 incident was pretty wild, snapping his Scapular In practice then using a wild card to race the main event with the hospital bracelet still on... I believe he finished 8th.

|

6/7/2019 12:06 AM

Reed has a few cases of badassery;
Popping his own shoulder back in and finishing the moto..
Chadapault
Checking himself out of hospital with a cooked shoulder to go race the SX night show

|