Southwick prep question

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 4:11pm
Okay, I guess this is a hypothetical, but when they talk about the sand not being as deep these days and there being a hard base, is that a factor of the track being compacted after being run for so many years? Is it something that could be improved if they went in and did a thorough really deep ripping? I've heard of them using 4 foot attachments on dozers in vineyards out here to get through the hard pan.

I'm not a dirt moving guy, so maybe this is a dopey question.
|
Law 131
7/3/2013 2:00pm
A very good question.

I just got done watching RV's entire GoPro 2nd moto. I was shocked how smooth the track was
compared to the 70's.

The attachment you're referring to is known as a ripper. It's used to breakup hard ground so that it
can be re shaped or moved.

I'm thinking that over the years, the sand has simply been moved off the surface of Southwick. We are
now down to hardpack soil. A ripper wouldn't bring more sand to the surface because there is no sand to bring up.

An alternative would be to relocate sand from other areas (if available) on the site or truck it in.

Either way, it would be expensive, or very expensive if you want to bring in sand.
Robgvx
7/3/2013 2:09pm
Hawkstome Park is the same. Now almost hard pack rather than the soft whoopy stuff it used to be.

I figure years of riding and machining has just eroded the surface away.
MBBadgers
7/3/2013 2:18pm
Robgvx wrote:
Hawkstome Park is the same. Now almost hard pack rather than the soft whoopy stuff it used to be. I figure years of riding and machining...
Hawkstome Park is the same. Now almost hard pack rather than the soft whoopy stuff it used to be.

I figure years of riding and machining has just eroded the surface away.
carlsbad raceway was the same, from the original fence line along the track it dropped down at least 3 feet, from all those years of racers taking the dirt home on their bikes.
Law 131
7/3/2013 2:22pm
By comparison, there were some old National and Winter AMA tracks in Florida that were set
close to the Ocean, Diamondback and St. Pete.

They basically had no bottom and you could never (practically) find the bottom. That's the way Southwick used to be.

These tracks would whoop out to the point that the only way to ride them fast was to let the bike skim the top
and hang on. It was a specialty that few mastered.

FTE, being from Sacramento , I'm assuming you haven't seen alot of the type of mixed soil conditions we have on the
Right Coast.

The Shop

DC
7/3/2013 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 2:32pm
Good points FTE, Mr. Law, MMB... I think this is something that happens with every track that is run on a regular basis. Every motorcycle that ever raced at Carlsbad and left without being washed left with a little bit of the best soil. Every time a bike was washed in the pits at Southwick it was sand that left the actual track. I remember Gatorback being as sandy as any track in Florida in the start-finish section, with big whoops back in the day, but it's kind of hard-packed up there now...

Places it doesn't happen so much at are places that don't constantly have bikes upon them, like Mammoth Mountain and Loretta Lynn's, for example. Or in places like Law said, where there was no bottom, like Cocoa Beach, where truly was a beach.

DC
MX Sports
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/3/2013 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 2:45pm
Law 131 wrote:
By comparison, there were some old National and Winter AMA tracks in Florida that were set close to the Ocean, Diamondback and St. Pete. They basically...
By comparison, there were some old National and Winter AMA tracks in Florida that were set
close to the Ocean, Diamondback and St. Pete.

They basically had no bottom and you could never (practically) find the bottom. That's the way Southwick used to be.

These tracks would whoop out to the point that the only way to ride them fast was to let the bike skim the top
and hang on. It was a specialty that few mastered.

FTE, being from Sacramento , I'm assuming you haven't seen alot of the type of mixed soil conditions we have on the
Right Coast.
Lately, no, i dont think so, And I'm physically unable to race at this point of my life. But the original Hangtown track at Plymouth, about 20 minutes from the current site , was as sandy as any track in the world over the river bottom area, fine and bottomless. The Marysville tracks have some sand, as does a dinky practice track out of Aubrurn, Mammoth Bar. Even the old Sand Hill track had good variety if it was prepped well. The coastal hills tracks, current and dead, were the standard Cali clay, which was different in winter from summer. I rode essentially virgin grass tracks at both Hollister and Sears Point during spring winter back in the day that could be loamy the day worked the grass in, but that went away as leaving it hard pack ( either blue groove if dry or icy if wet). I understand oat field has good doll, but pretty much when the rain stops in April/May and we go dry until fall, things get baked. Can't speak SoCals current tracks. Glen Helen looks like a mix, as did Pala, nothing like the Carlsbad or Saddleback bake back in the day.

But no, it's pretty hard to find that rich loamy farm land stuff that would make a gardener weep. I loved racing sand, Plymouth was such an awesome track, probably my favorite of all time, and definitely the one I miss the most of track closures I've been through, I will miss Sputhwick a lot if this sticks.
slipdog
7/3/2013 2:48pm
Lately, no, i dont think so, And I'm physically unable to race at this point of my life. But the original Hangtown track at Plymouth, about...
Lately, no, i dont think so, And I'm physically unable to race at this point of my life. But the original Hangtown track at Plymouth, about 20 minutes from the current site , was as sandy as any track in the world over the river bottom area, fine and bottomless. The Marysville tracks have some sand, as does a dinky practice track out of Aubrurn, Mammoth Bar. Even the old Sand Hill track had good variety if it was prepped well. The coastal hills tracks, current and dead, were the standard Cali clay, which was different in winter from summer. I rode essentially virgin grass tracks at both Hollister and Sears Point during spring winter back in the day that could be loamy the day worked the grass in, but that went away as leaving it hard pack ( either blue groove if dry or icy if wet). I understand oat field has good doll, but pretty much when the rain stops in April/May and we go dry until fall, things get baked. Can't speak SoCals current tracks. Glen Helen looks like a mix, as did Pala, nothing like the Carlsbad or Saddleback bake back in the day.

But no, it's pretty hard to find that rich loamy farm land stuff that would make a gardener weep. I loved racing sand, Plymouth was such an awesome track, probably my favorite of all time, and definitely the one I miss the most of track closures I've been through, I will miss Sputhwick a lot if this sticks.
FTR, the Marysville tracks are pretty much hard packed now. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise has no idea what a real sand track is. Riverfront has no sand what so ever anymore.
Law 131
7/3/2013 2:56pm
FTE,

You got any spare cash laying around? Maybe we should buy Southwick from the Legion, make a deal with MX Sports and get in on the "millions" being made!

No way. Running races is no way to make money.

We'll see how it goes. I'll say the Pitello's have given their lives to that place. I'm thinking that the real "Southwick" is wherever they go, not the patch of land that we've been to for 35 years!

Speaking of Northern California dirt, that Sears Point track was one I had a real problem with.

I always describe it to people like this, imagine a black top parking lot, broken up and covered with straw, that's Sears.

I hated it!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/3/2013 3:02pm
If you raced the national during the summer, I can see why. Marty Moates said he loved it, however; recall him arguing with Bauer about that. It was epic over the winter when the hills greened, You really had to be good at mixing you lines up, the terrain disallowed much rhythm.
mxnick
7/3/2013 3:08pm
Southwick can have some significant variations in the surface, and depending on the weather patterns.

If it has been dry for several weeks, then the sand is much looser, and for some reason it does not get as rough as it does when there is moisture in the track. Think of it like clumping kitty litter, but to a lessor degree.

Hot and dry conditions vs. hot and humid conditions vs. wet and humid conditions can all result in different types of race lines opening up.

Lastly, the big issue that they face at Southwick is run off from the rainstorms that come through when they are not racing.

The track, and because it is not protected and the soil is very soft, has a constant problem with erosion and run off. In heavy rain, the track will literally wash away.

This has been a problem since the track was built. No hill is safe, and it seems like whenever they have heavy rain during the week, portions of the track will washout, and in some places, you might find trenches 3' deep or more! This has been going for years.

They (well the guy who takes care of the track, Anvil Rock) have been sourcing replacement soil locally, so it is the same type of sand, but it is not "indigenous" to Powder Mill Road.

This year at the national I noticed some small round baseball size rocks in certain portions of the track, and I assume those come courtesy of the sand pit, or wherever they get the soil from.

Thus, there are quite a few variables that can effect the track surface at the 'Wick.
Law 131
7/3/2013 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 3:34pm
If you raced the national during the summer, I can see why. Marty Moates said he loved it, however; recall him arguing with Bauer about that...
If you raced the national during the summer, I can see why. Marty Moates said he loved it, however; recall him arguing with Bauer about that. It was epic over the winter when the hills greened, You really had to be good at mixing you lines up, the terrain disallowed much rhythm.
I think the National I raced was in June.

That track was a real bear, for me.

I had no time to test for it, just show up and ride it.

Edit...tell Bauer he owes me an apology. Pussy.
Law 131
7/3/2013 3:14pm
mxnick wrote:
Southwick can have some significant variations in the surface, and depending on the weather patterns. If it has been dry for several weeks, then the sand...
Southwick can have some significant variations in the surface, and depending on the weather patterns.

If it has been dry for several weeks, then the sand is much looser, and for some reason it does not get as rough as it does when there is moisture in the track. Think of it like clumping kitty litter, but to a lessor degree.

Hot and dry conditions vs. hot and humid conditions vs. wet and humid conditions can all result in different types of race lines opening up.

Lastly, the big issue that they face at Southwick is run off from the rainstorms that come through when they are not racing.

The track, and because it is not protected and the soil is very soft, has a constant problem with erosion and run off. In heavy rain, the track will literally wash away.

This has been a problem since the track was built. No hill is safe, and it seems like whenever they have heavy rain during the week, portions of the track will washout, and in some places, you might find trenches 3' deep or more! This has been going for years.

They (well the guy who takes care of the track, Anvil Rock) have been sourcing replacement soil locally, so it is the same type of sand, but it is not "indigenous" to Powder Mill Road.

This year at the national I noticed some small round baseball size rocks in certain portions of the track, and I assume those come courtesy of the sand pit, or wherever they get the soil from.

Thus, there are quite a few variables that can effect the track surface at the 'Wick.
mxnick,

That's some really good info.

Is there a clay or gravel bottom there?

What kind of borrow are they bringing in?
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
7/3/2013 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 3:22pm
Law 131 wrote:
FTE, You got any spare cash laying around? Maybe we should buy Southwick from the Legion, make a deal with MX Sports and get in on...
FTE,

You got any spare cash laying around? Maybe we should buy Southwick from the Legion, make a deal with MX Sports and get in on the "millions" being made!

We'll see how it goes. I'll say the Pitello's have given their lives to that place. I'm thinking that the real "Southwick" is wherever they go, not the patch of land that we've been to for 35 years!

Speaking of Northern California dirt, that Sears Point track was one I had a real problem with.

I always describe it to people like this, imagine a black top parking lot, broken up and covered with straw, that's Sears.

I hated it!
I hated Southwick.

Loved Carlsbad and a place called Palm Ave. Blue groove and rock hard, but I am from San Diego. Tongue
Law 131
7/3/2013 3:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 4:30pm
Law 131 wrote:
FTE, You got any spare cash laying around? Maybe we should buy Southwick from the Legion, make a deal with MX Sports and get in on...
FTE,

I hated it!
Regis wrote:
I hated Southwick.

Loved Carlsbad and a place called Palm Ave. Blue groove and rock hard, but I am from San Diego. Tongue
Regis,

You know it's funny.

As much as I hated Sears, I absolutely loved Saddleback. Blue groove. The big difference , for me, was the blue groove would berm up. Got a second behind Wardy day before the USGP in 78.

45 minute moto!

Edit:

And a brand new set of Metzlers, the key to the "blue groove"
jock
Fantasy
1st
7/3/2013 3:29pm
DC wrote:
Good points FTE, Mr. Law, MMB... I think this is something that happens with every track that is run on a regular basis. Every motorcycle that...
Good points FTE, Mr. Law, MMB... I think this is something that happens with every track that is run on a regular basis. Every motorcycle that ever raced at Carlsbad and left without being washed left with a little bit of the best soil. Every time a bike was washed in the pits at Southwick it was sand that left the actual track. I remember Gatorback being as sandy as any track in Florida in the start-finish section, with big whoops back in the day, but it's kind of hard-packed up there now...

Places it doesn't happen so much at are places that don't constantly have bikes upon them, like Mammoth Mountain and Loretta Lynn's, for example. Or in places like Law said, where there was no bottom, like Cocoa Beach, where truly was a beach.

DC
MX Sports
Is there any chance of another genuine sand track making it onto the schedule DC.
mxnick
7/3/2013 3:56pm
mxnick wrote:
Southwick can have some significant variations in the surface, and depending on the weather patterns. If it has been dry for several weeks, then the sand...

Law 131 wrote:
mxnick,

That's some really good info.

Is there a clay or gravel bottom there?

What kind of borrow are they bringing in?
I dont think so - maybe if you dig real deep you will find clay, but that entire region of CT and MA is sand. Agawam, Southwick, Windsor Locks, they are all really soft, very fine sandy style soil.

The sand is not the type you find on the beach or river banks, as it is much finer, but it is still sand. I think the base is so dense, that is what causes it to have a "hard base".
Law 131
7/3/2013 4:07pm
mxnick,

I've got to ask.

You're from Nor Cal.

What's your connection to the soil conditions at the Wick?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/3/2013 4:19pm
Law 131 wrote:
mxnick,

I've got to ask.

You're from Nor Cal.

I think Nick was a Nor-Cal guy when he signed up, but has East Coast roots.
Law 131
7/3/2013 4:22pm
Law 131 wrote:
mxnick,

I've got to ask.

You're from Nor Cal.

GuyB wrote:
I think Nick was a Nor-Cal guy when he signed up, but has East Coast roots.
got it.
steed 2.0
7/3/2013 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 5:02pm
is just erosion IMO underlayer is probably clay, by ripping, plowing, tillers etc it gets even worse because sand gets mixed with clay, adding compost will have the desired result, loam sand
to accelerate the composting process lime is added which in turn has a positive effect on the clay

Valkenswaard and Lierop is basically Lommel sand with compost,
here we call it black and white sand (white sand gets firmer by moisture black sand the exact opposite)
Valkenswaard is slightly harder compared to Lierop because it has some gravel layers

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/214.html
maxc811
7/3/2013 6:26pm
they brought in some crap dirt over the last 5 years...they race trucks there on some weekends so they needed a harder base...the sand is under there u just need to rip it up ...the new owner will
steed 2.0
7/4/2013 1:13am
maxc811 wrote:
they brought in some crap dirt over the last 5 years...they race trucks there on some weekends so they needed a harder base...the sand is under...
they brought in some crap dirt over the last 5 years...they race trucks there on some weekends so they needed a harder base...the sand is under there u just need to rip it up ...the new owner will
tp311
7/4/2013 7:51am
Lately, no, i dont think so, And I'm physically unable to race at this point of my life. But the original Hangtown track at Plymouth, about...

slipdog wrote:
FTR, the Marysville tracks are pretty much hard packed now. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise has no idea what a real sand track is...
FTR, the Marysville tracks are pretty much hard packed now. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise has no idea what a real sand track is. Riverfront has no sand what so ever anymore.
Yup, I was just about to say that the tracks up here in marysville are right on the river and have gotten significantly less sandy and gnarly. It takes a good flood to bring a bunch of new sand in and make them get really rough. After a few years the sand goes away and they get smoother and harder packed.
SRP33
7/4/2013 8:20am
Nicks a 100 % correct another thing i noticed the berms are so big now there is so much material taken off the track to build them up hitting the harder surface. What needs to happen is the track needs to be all pushed back to the center the berms will form.
Case in point the second corner was so high i never seen it like that. So much sandy material kinda being waisted
bullpen658
7/4/2013 9:26am
Sooooo, motocrosseers ruined Southwich and Carlsbad and all of the other tracks. I really wish you guys would quit ruining tracks. Please wash your bikes off out on the course before leaving from now on. I don't want the same thing to happen to any more tracks. #savetheplanet #greenpeace #hugatree #bangpussy
steed 2.0
7/4/2013 9:39am
bullpen658 wrote:
Sooooo, motocrosseers ruined Southwich and Carlsbad and all of the other tracks. I really wish you guys would quit ruining tracks. Please wash your bikes off...
Sooooo, motocrosseers ruined Southwich and Carlsbad and all of the other tracks. I really wish you guys would quit ruining tracks. Please wash your bikes off out on the course before leaving from now on. I don't want the same thing to happen to any more tracks. #savetheplanet #greenpeace #hugatree #bangpussy
Grinning

blame the wind Wink
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/4/2013 9:47am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 9:48am
I'm pretty surest that whatever Carlsbad dirt left on bikes was more than made up for with the rubber and skin that got left behind.

Sorry to hear that about the Marysville tracks, I guess it's to the river to restore them. The benefit of Plymouth was that the track, at least the sandy parts, was where the sand went when it eroded away from somewhere else.

I wonder how much overuse is a factor, with fewer tracks and riding areas.
mxnick
7/4/2013 10:51am
Law 131 wrote:
mxnick,

I've got to ask.

You're from Nor Cal.

Law

I grew up in CT thought am now (mostly) based on Nor Cal.

When I was a kid and growing up, I rode the sand every winter when everything else was frozen solid in the Northeast.

Rode sand in Southeastern Mass (Plymouth / Cape area), Central CT (Hartford and New Haven), Long Island (Westhampton and a few no mans land places), the famous NJ Pine Barrens (best...riding....ever) as well as the outer banks area in NC and SC. Also rode a fair share of sand places in Florida as well, but everything is powder like sand south of Jacksonville....

Call me a loser, but it is my favorite surface to ride MX on, and I have spent quite a bit of time paying attention to the various types of sand and softer loam that exist in various regions of the country.

I hear the UP of Michigan has some of the best sand riding and I am keen to make my way up there at some point and check it out.

As it relates to this thread, for sure Southwick is a harder type of sand when compared to the coastal regions of sand. I assume this is because the ocean sand is different than the river sand, but I am no soil scientist.
mxnick
7/4/2013 11:00am
I'm pretty surest that whatever Carlsbad dirt left on bikes was more than made up for with the rubber and skin that got left behind. Sorry...
I'm pretty surest that whatever Carlsbad dirt left on bikes was more than made up for with the rubber and skin that got left behind.

Sorry to hear that about the Marysville tracks, I guess it's to the river to restore them. The benefit of Plymouth was that the track, at least the sandy parts, was where the sand went when it eroded away from somewhere else.

I wonder how much overuse is a factor, with fewer tracks and riding areas.
FTE, I have ridden all three of those Marysville tracks in the past few years, and in the winter. Because I am new to the area, I dont know what they were like years ago. But I will say that they are certainly the hardest packed sand tracks I have ever ridden, and certainly much harder packed that Southwick.

But I also observe that conditions can vary significantly depending on both the weather and type of prep. If we have had rain recently, then they are much better, than say, now, when they are hard as heck.

Fish has that smaller "sand track" at MMX and that is almost like Pea Gravel as opposed to sand, and that is the softest / loamiest sand I have seen in Nor Cal.

That said, I doubt overuse is a factor, though i do observe that years ago race tracks did not host as much riding and "open practice" sessions, as the abundance of local riding spots did not necessitate paying $20 or whatever to ride.
mxnick
7/4/2013 11:02am
maxc811 wrote:
they brought in some crap dirt over the last 5 years...they race trucks there on some weekends so they needed a harder base...the sand is under...
Are you sure? I dont think they have brought a different type of sand in to accommodate the Jeeps that they race - as they only have a few races per year and maybe only 20-25 jeeps show up? So its not really a big deal for Ralph and Diane, $$ wise. I couldnt see them making that investment for such a small program.

I do think they also configure the track a little different for those things, and with less of the elevation changes and certain portion of the tracks cut off. But I am pretty sure the sand they have brought in has all been sourced locally.

Post a reply to: Southwick prep question

The Latest