Pro riders NOT using knee braces?

1/26/2022 6:10pm
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with that said, there seems to be a lot of guys who blow their knees out while wearing knee braces. AC9 just blew his knee out going through the whoops and he had knee braces on. I don't believe he even crashed? With that said, is it just a roll of the dice? When do they help you and when do they not?

I rode with the TP199 pads and it's obviously way more comfortable, but it's just hard to let go of the knee braces knowing I technically should be wearing them. Anyone else ditch the knee braces lately?
1/26/2022 6:38pm
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with...
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with that said, there seems to be a lot of guys who blow their knees out while wearing knee braces. AC9 just blew his knee out going through the whoops and he had knee braces on. I don't believe he even crashed? With that said, is it just a roll of the dice? When do they help you and when do they not?

I rode with the TP199 pads and it's obviously way more comfortable, but it's just hard to let go of the knee braces knowing I technically should be wearing them. Anyone else ditch the knee braces lately?
1
Jon Bingham
Posts
859
Joined
10/29/2016
Location
the scene, CA, USA
1/26/2022 7:34pm
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with...
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with that said, there seems to be a lot of guys who blow their knees out while wearing knee braces. AC9 just blew his knee out going through the whoops and he had knee braces on. I don't believe he even crashed? With that said, is it just a roll of the dice? When do they help you and when do they not?

I rode with the TP199 pads and it's obviously way more comfortable, but it's just hard to let go of the knee braces knowing I technically should be wearing them. Anyone else ditch the knee braces lately?
Have you seen the footage when he injured his knee? It was after the whoops and his boot hit the ground with a ton of force. If anything I would think he would have a lot more damage if he wasn't wearing the braces.
sandman768
Posts
8250
Joined
3/21/2014
Location
Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
1/26/2022 7:47pm
Nothing would have helped his knee in that scenario…. The safest place for your knees/legs is on the pegs…always… but it’s just human instinct to put your leg out sometimes…. I guarantee he is kicking himself for not keeping feet on the pegs and riding it out…… even guys at this level make mistakes and pay the price….if he tore up his ligaments, I doubt we will see him outdoors….I have been through 2 knee reconstructions, it’s tough physically and mentally….

The Shop

Grouper
Posts
300
Joined
11/28/2021
Location
Paducah, KY, USA
1/26/2022 7:50pm
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with...
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with that said, there seems to be a lot of guys who blow their knees out while wearing knee braces. AC9 just blew his knee out going through the whoops and he had knee braces on. I don't believe he even crashed? With that said, is it just a roll of the dice? When do they help you and when do they not?

I rode with the TP199 pads and it's obviously way more comfortable, but it's just hard to let go of the knee braces knowing I technically should be wearing them. Anyone else ditch the knee braces lately?
I can resonate with everything you said. I did the same thing about 6 months ago. I was in your boots lol. I think mx riders need to change the whole paradigm and take a proactive approach to injury prevention by maintaining extreme levels of flexibility, strength, and cardiovascular health. Relying on knee braces is seriously just preference. I can’t imagine a situation where you could say “my knee brace undoubtedly just saved my legs”. Maybe a crushing injury or mild hyper extension. I feel like saying “imagine if I didn’t wear them” is kind of intellectually empty because there’s not a way to test that. That being said, if training all the time and living a healthy lifestyle is not interesting and you like beer and pizza, then maybe your situation is more fitting to PPE.
I also gained so much control over my bike after ditching the braces that I truly feel safer now.

My ultra cells are sitting in my basement and my leatt isn’t far behind for similar reasons. I will not ride without some form of armor. I use Dainese armoform knee guards for MTB actually and they are amazing. Run your knee into the brake mount bolts going fast and you won’t ride without them either lol.
If you’re brave, I really enjoyed riding with just my powerlifting knee sleeves but there’s no hope of you have an impact injury.
1
fins227
Posts
1101
Joined
7/1/2014
Location
Chillicothe, OH, USA
1/26/2022 8:04pm
Webb doesn’t wear braces right?
wydopen
Posts
1306
Joined
8/17/2011
Location
805, CA, USA
1/27/2022 4:32am
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with...
I'm thinking about ditching my knee braces but it's hard to do considering you think they are providing insurance in case of a fall. But with that said, there seems to be a lot of guys who blow their knees out while wearing knee braces. AC9 just blew his knee out going through the whoops and he had knee braces on. I don't believe he even crashed? With that said, is it just a roll of the dice? When do they help you and when do they not?

I rode with the TP199 pads and it's obviously way more comfortable, but it's just hard to let go of the knee braces knowing I technically should be wearing them. Anyone else ditch the knee braces lately?
Yes and went to the TP199’s. Way better. Like Dave Castillo has said..if the knee braces arnt attached to your boots they arnt doing anything. The amount of movement you get in them is more than enough to hurt your knee. Even if they were attached to your skin/muscle just think about how much they can rotate around your bone.
Jdog2221
Posts
545
Joined
12/27/2021
Location
Burgettstown, PA, USA
1/27/2022 4:49am
fins227 wrote:
Webb doesn’t wear braces right?
He doesn't, and I'm pretty sure barcia switched to pads in 2021 as well
1/27/2022 5:58am
Foolishly, for 20 years I rode with no knee protection, not pads, not nothing. I tried some Alpinestars hybrid guard/pads once and hated them.

I finally got some TP199s and tried them for the first time last time I rode. I really do like the fact that I feel I can grip the bike way better...but I can't barely get my boots latched up top with them. Do knee braces not go down into the boot? I can't imagine how more material could get stuffed into those boots. Also, I feel like I can't get in the best position when seated in a turn, like I'm bound up.

I just don't understand how you can get used to all that knee brace material but I know people say once you wear them, you don't want to ride without them.
wydopen
Posts
1306
Joined
8/17/2011
Location
805, CA, USA
1/27/2022 6:21am
Foolishly, for 20 years I rode with no knee protection, not pads, not nothing. I tried some Alpinestars hybrid guard/pads once and hated them. I finally...
Foolishly, for 20 years I rode with no knee protection, not pads, not nothing. I tried some Alpinestars hybrid guard/pads once and hated them.

I finally got some TP199s and tried them for the first time last time I rode. I really do like the fact that I feel I can grip the bike way better...but I can't barely get my boots latched up top with them. Do knee braces not go down into the boot? I can't imagine how more material could get stuffed into those boots. Also, I feel like I can't get in the best position when seated in a turn, like I'm bound up.

I just don't understand how you can get used to all that knee brace material but I know people say once you wear them, you don't want to ride without them.
Boots should have plenty of room..if anything I struggle to get mine tight enough so dirt doesn’t go down..I would imagine you would rub the inside of your knees raw in about 2 laps without any kind of knee pad.
1/27/2022 6:45am
Foolishly, for 20 years I rode with no knee protection, not pads, not nothing. I tried some Alpinestars hybrid guard/pads once and hated them. I finally...
Foolishly, for 20 years I rode with no knee protection, not pads, not nothing. I tried some Alpinestars hybrid guard/pads once and hated them.

I finally got some TP199s and tried them for the first time last time I rode. I really do like the fact that I feel I can grip the bike way better...but I can't barely get my boots latched up top with them. Do knee braces not go down into the boot? I can't imagine how more material could get stuffed into those boots. Also, I feel like I can't get in the best position when seated in a turn, like I'm bound up.

I just don't understand how you can get used to all that knee brace material but I know people say once you wear them, you don't want to ride without them.
wydopen wrote:
Boots should have plenty of room..if anything I struggle to get mine tight enough so dirt doesn’t go down..I would imagine you would rub the inside...
Boots should have plenty of room..if anything I struggle to get mine tight enough so dirt doesn’t go down..I would imagine you would rub the inside of your knees raw in about 2 laps without any kind of knee pad.
I have had many days of inner leg chafe! haha
rohleder644
Posts
1054
Joined
1/18/2011
Location
Lee’s Summit, MO, USA
1/27/2022 7:14am
I rode with a neck brace for about 15 minutes before deciding it forced me in to, what I felt, was an unsafe riding position. I didn’t even get the bike off the stand with knee braces before I decided the same. Strictly slip-on knee cups for me. TLD 5400’s currently. Even though I feel like a dumbass arguing against more protection. But the reality is (lemme channel my inner Ryno here) a piece of safety equipment that keeps you from having full control of your bike isn’t really all that safe.
1
1

Post a reply to: Pro riders NOT using knee braces?

The Latest