Posts
6433
Joined
10/16/2014
Location
Buda, TX, USA
Edited Date/Time
7/17/2021 12:08pm
DF14 slows his bike down to go faster.
Local racing has too many classes with too few entrants.
E-bikes don't fit a category.
Technological improvements aren't happening.
Nobody makes an big bore 2 stroke since it doesn't have a class.
Bikes of all sizes are capable of the same general lap times.
Off Road has done it for years.
Complex rules that serve no purpose.(homologation)
When is the last time you saw a bike torn down over a protest?
40 year old bikes are still competitive.
A big bore isn't going to make other bikes obsolete.
Bigger engines have less maintenance.
HP #'s mean nothing without lap times.
There needs to be a clear premier class.
Fans would go crazy.
Local racing has too many classes with too few entrants.
E-bikes don't fit a category.
Technological improvements aren't happening.
Nobody makes an big bore 2 stroke since it doesn't have a class.
Bikes of all sizes are capable of the same general lap times.
Off Road has done it for years.
Complex rules that serve no purpose.(homologation)
When is the last time you saw a bike torn down over a protest?
40 year old bikes are still competitive.
A big bore isn't going to make other bikes obsolete.
Bigger engines have less maintenance.
HP #'s mean nothing without lap times.
There needs to be a clear premier class.
Fans would go crazy.
Would you want to see Webb line
up with a KTM 510 at SX or Nationals?
Hill on an Alta? Malcolm on a 390 2t auto?
The Shop
DeCal Works Huge Plastic Inventory of UFO and Polisport kits.
Luxon 4-Post Bar Mounts
$189.95 - $239.95
I'm not 100% sure but it think there may have been something like a 175cc limit for a 4t against 125 2ts, but I don't recall anyone ever trying that at National levels.
With 85cc racing, there was a limit of 125cc for 4ts, but Honda, it's reported, knew they couldn't make a reliable / affordable, for most Mini Dads, 125cc 4t, that could go up against the 85s, so they made the 150s, and, through their power and influence, got into the 85cc class, at least for a while, in many countries sanctioning bodies.
Hey, I'd love to see genuine 'boomers' ( as in, BIG 4ts) out there, and modern large capacity 2ts instead of just the sea of 'screamers' that 4ts - even 450s - have become. But, it's not going to happen - the highest level of the sport controllers are just too spineless / in the thrall of some manufacturers.
That riders "detune" their 450? Hell, moving power around on large capacity bikes has always been a fact of life within the class. That's the beauty of the bigger engines - what can be done with the power characteristics. Riders prefer different power deliveries and levels, and a big engine, with No problem making more than enough power, enables various tunes.
For a giggle, here's an example of what could be a 'Boomer", the JBS Racing M1 (1000cc 4t
I first saw it in 2011 - made for Sidecarcross, but it seems to have disappeared. Teams can get plenty of power from the various 2ts, like Zabels and MEGAs, and the KTM 690 engine. I'd love to make a chassis to take such a thing, for some rich bastard ( I was trying to persuade a very moneyed up mate to get one, but, as I said the engine project seemed to cease to exist.) , and set me loose in my workshop , but at a height of 548mm = 21.575", it would be fun and games, nay, a nightmare, to fit one in in a realistic / usable 2 wheeler chassis. Tank position, and exhaust and induction being the difficulties. But hell, I would have succeeded in doing so.
No to works bikes. If anything ditch the 2 stroke displacement rule. We need more privateers on the circuit more than we need to look at 3-4 "works" bikes which in all honesty - each of us already rides today.
700cc 2t Megaladon build
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DzhOKzqU02s
It was bad enough that the factories teams have such a ridiculous advantage with suspension components running into tens of thousands of dollars.
Then the 4 stroke revolution happened and maintaining a 250f.engine for multiple rounds just got stupid expensive, with only factory teams being able to afford the expense.
I miss the days of locals at a place like southwick shaking things up, and guys like guy cooper doing an impressive privateer career.
If there is going to be a "production" rule, simplify and enforce it.
As for that build the bouncing, backwards hat ( like a wannabe 80s white boy rapper - good grief, when will he stop that schtick - when he isn't acting like that, he comes across really well) wearing Pom has videos of: I don't think I've seen a more dreadful engine mounting - well I have, from MPS and an few other butchers - in years. I know those Berg frames very, very well - they are made to be absolutely minimalist, for a counter balanced engine. They were well thought out, from the factory, But, even then I had to repair a few. Everything can, and does, break. That thing, with a vibratory, miss mounted / crappily mounted, Huge 2t engine, well, if used hard, will be down right dangerous.
You are right, we have seen that forever, even 125’s with faster lap times than 250’s back in the day. I think there should be an elite class that is open to all capacity bikes and electric. And a second tier class for the up and comers limited to 250 4-stroke or less.
Post a reply to: Open Classes, is it time again?