Nike Boots?

mikem
Posts
218
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
London, CA
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:43am
Dungey and Stewart have been wearing them for three years now. Are they ever going to be made available to the general public? Not that I care or would want a pair but it seems odd that they would develope them and never make them available. There seemed to be an indication when they first started wearing them that they would eventually become available.
|
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
1/6/2012 6:27am
If they made it available for public they would cost something close to $5000. No, they will not become available to public.
mikem
Posts
218
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
London, CA
1/6/2012 6:38am
$5000. Wow! What is so special about them?
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
1/6/2012 6:46am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2012 6:46am
If I remember correctly it takes eight people a week to make a pair.
hartebreak
Posts
2656
Joined
9/16/2009
Location
Portland, OR, USA
1/6/2012 6:48am
kongols wrote:
If they made it available for public they would cost something close to $5000. No, they will not become available to public.
Bullshit!!!

Why in gods name would Nike spend millions on R&D and sponsoring these guys with plans to never release the product for sale to recoop their money. The whole purpose of sponsoring someone is to promote your product to increase sales. If Nike has no plans to release the boot then what exactly are they advertising?

The Shop

JOHN CHOATE
Posts
2024
Joined
9/18/2008
Location
Dallas, NC, USA
1/6/2012 6:49am
I read somewhere that Nike does not plan to sell boots. They like to take care of their top athletes in very special ways and this is how they chose to take care of Dungey and Bubba. By making them special boots. I guess it's similar to wearing a Red Bull helmet.
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
1/6/2012 6:49am
hartebreak wrote:
Bullshit!!! Why in gods name would Nike spend millions on R&D and sponsoring these guys with plans to never release the product for sale to recoop...
Bullshit!!!

Why in gods name would Nike spend millions on R&D and sponsoring these guys with plans to never release the product for sale to recoop their money. The whole purpose of sponsoring someone is to promote your product to increase sales. If Nike has no plans to release the boot then what exactly are they advertising?
Nike brand.
SwapperMX
Posts
2153
Joined
6/16/2010
Location
AU
1/6/2012 6:50am
kongols wrote:
If they made it available for public they would cost something close to $5000. No, they will not become available to public.
hartebreak wrote:
Bullshit!!! Why in gods name would Nike spend millions on R&D and sponsoring these guys with plans to never release the product for sale to recoop...
Bullshit!!!

Why in gods name would Nike spend millions on R&D and sponsoring these guys with plans to never release the product for sale to recoop their money. The whole purpose of sponsoring someone is to promote your product to increase sales. If Nike has no plans to release the boot then what exactly are they advertising?
Nike 6.0. - All the associated products, shoes, merchandise etc. I bet there are plenty of kids, guys out there have bought Nike 6.0 products cos Stewie and Dung wear the Nike boots !!
MotoChief
Posts
647
Joined
10/18/2011
Location
Guantanamo Bay, CU
1/6/2012 6:50am
Why do they care if some spode on a local track is wearing them if they got the Bad Asses of SX wearing them. All Nike want is the photographs so they can pretend to be involved.
pitbike502
Posts
4509
Joined
12/26/2007
Location
Syracuse, NY, USA
1/6/2012 7:07am
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike bought all the molds just to make 2 guys some boots
IWreckALot
Posts
8677
Joined
3/12/2011
Location
Fort Worth, TX, USA
1/6/2012 7:09am
But does Nike not think there is a market? If they can mass produce a mx boot, even if it isn't of pro caliber, one would think they would venture into the industry of there was a profit to be made. Nike, if youre reading I'll head it up if youre interested.
WSR
Posts
1528
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
1/6/2012 7:11am
Those couple pairs of boots sell millions of T-shirts and sneakers. But not to me. They are advertising, but don't support the sport and aren't really involved that I can tell.
mikem
Posts
218
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
London, CA
1/6/2012 7:11am
I just did some snooping on the net and found an old interview with Dungey in which he stated that he approached Nike and asked them to make the boots for him, and they agreed to do it. He must have been "super-pumped". This was just a special project for Dungey and Stewart and they have no plans to market them. Guess I answered my own question. Seems kinda strange though.
MT MX
Posts
1550
Joined
3/5/2011
Location
Great Falls, MT, USA
1/6/2012 7:13am
pitbike502 wrote:
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike...
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike bought all the molds just to make 2 guys some boots
I thought it was Alpinstars or Fox that constructed them for Nike. Nike did the R&D though? Who fuggin' knows, I still wouldn't buy a pair even if they sold them to the public. I'm a 100% Ocelot man!Laughing
I think the idea of them is cool ONLY if Dungey and Stewart exclusively wear them.
ns503
Posts
4646
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
NS Toolies, CA
1/6/2012 7:30am
Maybe they're not built for long-term durability, and putting something like that into the marketplace might do more bad than good for them?

Pure speculation, of course...
Deetsmx
Posts
888
Joined
4/21/2008
Location
Visalia, CA, USA
1/6/2012 7:31am
pitbike502 wrote:
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike...
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike bought all the molds just to make 2 guys some boots
MT MX wrote:
I thought it was Alpinstars or Fox that constructed them for Nike. Nike did the R&D though? Who fuggin' knows, I still wouldn't buy a pair...
I thought it was Alpinstars or Fox that constructed them for Nike. Nike did the R&D though? Who fuggin' knows, I still wouldn't buy a pair even if they sold them to the public. I'm a 100% Ocelot man!Laughing
I think the idea of them is cool ONLY if Dungey and Stewart exclusively wear them.
TCX makes them.
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
1/6/2012 7:32am
ns503 wrote:
Maybe they're not built for long-term durability, and putting something like that into the marketplace might do more bad than good for them? Pure speculation, of...
Maybe they're not built for long-term durability, and putting something like that into the marketplace might do more bad than good for them?

Pure speculation, of course...
You reaaaally reachin`.
mikem
Posts
218
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
London, CA
1/6/2012 7:37am
Wonder how many times they wear a pair before sending them to the crusher? For that matter I wonder how many times any of the top guys wear their boots? And what happens to all of the slightly used pairs that they get rid of. These are the types of things I wonder about.
RandyS
Posts
6181
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Grass Valley, CA, USA
1/6/2012 7:40am
kongols wrote:
If I remember correctly it takes eight people a week to make a pair.
OK, so there is $12 in labor. That doesn't seem bad.
SwapperMX
Posts
2153
Joined
6/16/2010
Location
AU
1/6/2012 7:42am
mikem wrote:
Wonder how many times they wear a pair before sending them to the crusher? For that matter I wonder how many times any of the top...
Wonder how many times they wear a pair before sending them to the crusher? For that matter I wonder how many times any of the top guys wear their boots? And what happens to all of the slightly used pairs that they get rid of. These are the types of things I wonder about.
They get used as practice boots. I remember reading an article a year or two ago that stated how many products the top riders used, and I think Chad used something like 20 sets of boots per year. That would almost be a full time job, just keeping all the boots broken in so they are ready to ride in while still looking like new. Some of the amounts of gear being used was phenomenal, but not unrealistic considering. I know how much gear I go through, and only ride 2-3 times per week
1/6/2012 7:42am
If the quality was anything like their shoes i wouldnt pay for the gas to set em on fire. Oh and they are really buttass ugly too..
kongols
Posts
24230
Joined
9/22/2009
Location
Riga, LV
1/6/2012 7:43am
kongols wrote:
If I remember correctly it takes eight people a week to make a pair.
RandyS wrote:
OK, so there is $12 in labor. That doesn't seem bad.
$12 ? Riiiight...
Huckster
Posts
2592
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Woodstock, NY, USA
1/6/2012 7:43am
pitbike502 wrote:
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike...
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike bought all the molds just to make 2 guys some boots
the kid in charge of the Nike boot project was the same person who developed the Forma Pro......Chip worked with Stewart while both were at Fox and developed the Forma Pro together.....
Lightning78
Posts
6353
Joined
12/12/2007
Location
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
1/6/2012 7:45am
kongols wrote:
If I remember correctly it takes eight people a week to make a pair.
It takes that many or more people to make the custom alpinestars for their riders.......they could mass produce the rest rather inexpensively just like alpinestars.
mauidex
Posts
2069
Joined
9/12/2011
Location
Haiku, HI, USA
1/6/2012 7:54am
pretty sure that arguably one of the most successful athletic companies EVER has a much better handle on what they're doing than the marketing pros here........................maybe next project to tackle would be to figure out what Apple is doing wrong.........
easy_e
Posts
163
Joined
9/7/2009
Location
Langley, CA
1/6/2012 8:10am
mauidex wrote:
pretty sure that arguably one of the most successful athletic companies EVER has a much better handle on what they're doing than the marketing pros here........................maybe...
pretty sure that arguably one of the most successful athletic companies EVER has a much better handle on what they're doing than the marketing pros here........................maybe next project to tackle would be to figure out what Apple is doing wrong.........
By much better handle do you mean sweatshops for children to construct their products to get the majority of the market share? Then say oops when they were found out and raise the standards of the working conditions after they were already dominating the market due to their former business practices?! Ignorance is bliss I guess...
BESTY #72
Posts
429
Joined
11/4/2010
Location
GB
1/6/2012 8:12am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2012 12:03pm
Someone probably already said it, but the whole "It takes 8 indian/ bangladeshy/ phillapeno/ any variation" story isnt true (as much as seamed to be lol!) The boots are made by TCX (I doubt they'd cost $5000) at the end of the day, who cares? Everyone knows the new Fox boots are completely awesome! If youre willing to spend a lot of money on boots and don't want brand-specific boots. Just get some tech 10's, gaernes or whatever and get custom decals for them. I saw a richy-rich the other year who was running those scott genious boots with decals and possibly paper mashae, to make em' look like Nike boots..
reded
Posts
3682
Joined
3/26/2011
Location
USA
1/6/2012 8:17am
Nike can shove those boots up their ass. They're even uglier than their shoes, which is hard to imagine.
motoplook
Posts
362
Joined
4/19/2010
Location
KZ
1/6/2012 8:18am
they don't cost 5G's per pair, this is misinterpretation or urban legend marketing. Maybe the original first mold/design came at that cost, but the boots are manufactured by TCX in Italy.
They don't need to sell them, it's branding, marketing, R&D. I don't have them boots but I got myself some swoosh shoes.

easy_e, ignorance might be a bliss, but exaggeration might be too, no Smile instead of pointing the finger at brands manufacturing in countries where children work, maybe you need to fix those underdeveloped countries and fix their economies first. millions of families wouldn't survive if their kids wouldn't be working, be it the field, the factory or the house. What do you prefer, child labor or chill prostitution, because your choice in limited in some of these places. I choose the Nike factory.
munsch121
Posts
831
Joined
2/7/2009
Location
Middletown, NY, USA
1/6/2012 8:20am
$799.....just wait and see
GuyB
Posts
35722
Joined
7/10/2006
Location
Aliso Viejo, CA, USA
1/6/2012 8:21am
pitbike502 wrote:
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike...
Doesn't Berik make the boots anyway? I thought I read that somewhere. I believe an existing company manufactures them, I find it hard to believe Nike bought all the molds just to make 2 guys some boots
Berik, no. I belive it's TCX.

Post a reply to: Nike Boots?

The Latest