Mookie.....really?

Edited Date/Time 10/23/2014 4:30pm
So, I know some like the Stewarts and some dislike them. However, I think it is time for the team managers to be honest with themselves and realize that he is a valuable asset, especially for Supercross which is by far the highest profile series, and needs to be on a team. Not only is he young and his upside very high he is also one of the most popular riders in the pits and is a "name" that it is very popular in our sport. You would think a team like a re-emerging Husqvarna would want a "name" to draw attention to their pits, to their sponsors. He shouldn't be ignored. It seems a lot of people think Malcolm comes with baggage but it s not true for him personally. A young, solid kid, with immense speed and who is one of the biggest draws in the pits and to the public. ?? I'm having trouble understanding what's going on with teams not looking his way.

We all know Malcolm needs to be on a 450 but he has stated he WILL ride a 250 if that is what he needs to do to progress up to the 450 ride.

I know MEC is just one race but it is one of the highest profile races in SX/MX. He finished 5th overall and looked very solid all night, even holding off Trey in the third race. On a TLD Honda he purchased himself when the team switched to KTM, without factory support, on his own dime getting there and racing, with of course, some sponsor support. Holding off Trey, who had been on rails all night long. The MEC race follows a great performance at straight Rhythm, which admittedly is just a different one off event but still shows the kids talent.

He has had some good results in SX and MX in the past and also some inconsistency. Just like almost ALL of the factory riders have had.

Here are the factory or factory supported riders who finished BEHIND Malcolm for the MEC overall.

Justin Hill -Factory KTM
Jason Anderson - Factory Husqvarna
Justin Barcia- JGR Yamaha
Blake Baggett- Yoshimura Suzuki
Weston Pieck - JGR Yamaha
Andrew Short - BTO KTM
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM
Cooper Webb - Yamaha
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM
Chad Reed-TwoTwo Motorsports
Josh Grant- TwoTwo Motorsports
Zach Osborne-Factory Husqvarna

I mean, honestly, some of the choices the teams have made perplex me. I think CR22 would have been better off choosing Mookie than JG33. BB4 getting a factory 450 ride is questionable too with his wrist history and horrible starts. And Zak Bell getting a Factory Husqvarna ride? Don't even get me started. Pro Circuit's choices? Some odd ones there, too. Tonus will do great outdoors, but what about SX which is, inevitably, more important to teams?

Yes, I am a Mookie fan. But, in all fairness, people are truly making some weird decisions. We know KTM (or probably Husqvarna) won't choose him due to DeCoster's dislike for the family....but that's a whole other gripe I have for another topic.

Just wanted to throw it out there for discussion. And btw, props to JW12 for a solid ride on his own dime as well.

|
10/19/2014 8:46am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 8:47am
Weimer wasn't riding on his own dime. He had a full PC bike. So did Josh Hill.
10/19/2014 8:53am
You are correct, sir. I forgot. Well, there you go. Supports my theory even more so.
enketchum
10/19/2014 9:37am
He will get a ride by January. It may not be with the team that you think he should be on.

He is not a huge draw in the pits. Have you seen Reed or James' rigs during an event?

The Shop

Ing
10/19/2014 9:37am
Maybe some of the team managers don't like the fact that he can't make a pass without contact.
10/19/2014 9:40am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 9:40am
Dart Board wrote:
Weimer wasn't riding on his own dime. He had a full PC bike. So did Josh Hill.
I still am rather confused on that deal. The same guys get the same opportunities. I can understand Josh Hill. But I don't know how many more years Weimer can keep factory equipment between his legs.
10/19/2014 9:43am
enketchum wrote:
He will get a ride by January. It may not be with the team that[u] [b]you[/b][/u] think he should be on. He is not a huge...
He will get a ride by January. It may not be with the team that you think he should be on.

He is not a huge draw in the pits. Have you seen Reed or James' rigs during an event?
Oh yeah. But who DOES compare to Stew and Chad's lines? No one. Of course he doesn't draw that many people but after those two and KRoc/Dunge, etc I would say he is right up there in being fairly popular in the pits. I know I have waited in some long lines to meet him.

I, too, think he will lad something but I really don't get some of the choices some have made. Just my opinion, of course.
Chad McCan
10/19/2014 9:44am
People keep talking about the things James has done for his brother, but they keep leaving out the things James has taken from Malcolm.

He's never going to get consideration from Mitch at Pro Circuit, JGR Yamaha, TwoTwo, RCH and obviously Decoster at KTM, factory Kawasaki and factory Honda. That family name brings a lot of drama and baggage. If he's a championship contender, maybe they put up with some of it, but he's not on that level. Suzuki is his only option for a factory bike. What other bridges haven't been burnt by big brother?

With that said, I doubt Malcolm would be racing right now if it weren't for James. If asked, I bet Malcolm would agree that he's benefited as much or more than be hurt by James. But make no mistake, James is the reason why Mookie a privateer.
10/19/2014 9:45am
Ing wrote:
Maybe some of the team managers don't like the fact that he can't make a pass without contact.
Lol. Then they shouldn't sign Jason Anderson or Justin Barcia. Smile I like JA but I'm afraid he might get a rude awakening into the 450s if he doesn't chill just a touch. Bordering the fine line between aggressive and dirty last night but hey, you got to go for the win so I credit him for going for it!
10/19/2014 9:51am
Off topic a bit but what exactly is DeCoster's beef with the Stewarts? This year wasn't an option, but ignoring JS7 every time MXDN comes around is getting old, while we keep losing, that is.
Zracer
10/19/2014 10:07am
Youre such a huge Stewart fanboy you throw you own thread offtopic? Anybody that would have picked the 7 over Tomac, or Canard for the mxgp should re examine what they think they know about mx. And yeah, Mookie should have a decent ride.
Question
10/19/2014 10:14am
Ing wrote:

Which is why they are still team managers and not at a V or C level.
Jarrett H
10/19/2014 10:15am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 10:18am
I agree that it is crazy he doesn't have a ride. He has consistently shown his talent and speed. When a rider is placing in the top 5-10 ahead of factory riders, he should have a ride. Period.

The only reason I can conceivably imagine why he isn't signed right now is because of his behavior on the track. Thinking objectively, if I was a team owner/manager/majority sponsor I would be concerned with his professionalism on the track and how that reflects on to the team. Riders that conduct themselves professionally and show great character have been kept by factory teams for years even though they weren't even remotely close to being contenders. From what I've seen in just social media, he seems like a somewhat shy, but super nice KID. I can only speak from media coverage i've seen, but he appears to be very immature.

https://youtu.be/Bz57jZqAnio
https://youtu.be/G1wyTQCkeEE
https://youtu.be/zpSD9KmJyQc
10/19/2014 10:17am
That's a stupid reason. If these team managers want to live in glass houses, enjoy midpack obscurity. To be seen in this sport, you want to have at least flashes of brilliance.
Jarrett H
10/19/2014 10:21am
Dart Board wrote:
That's a stupid reason. If these team managers want to live in glass houses, enjoy midpack obscurity. To be seen in this sport, you want to...
That's a stupid reason. If these team managers want to live in glass houses, enjoy midpack obscurity. To be seen in this sport, you want to have at least flashes of brilliance.
Really? How many teams do you think are lining up to sign Alessi?
Mickolobe7
10/19/2014 10:23am
Mookie deserves a ride and it sucks that nobody has picked him up. He is fast and young and a top five guy for sure and I could see some wins. If he gets a chance with a factory ride I think he will take full advantage of it and we will only see him improve!

Good Point!

"Here are the factory or factory supported riders who finished BEHIND Malcolm for the MEC overall."

Justin Hill -Factory KTM
Andrew Short - BTO KTM
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM
Cooper Webb - Yamaha
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM
10/19/2014 10:24am
Dart Board wrote:
That's a stupid reason. If these team managers want to live in glass houses, enjoy midpack obscurity. To be seen in this sport, you want to...
Jarrett H wrote:
Really? How many teams do you think are lining up to sign Alessi?
Mike Alessi went from factory Suzuki to Factory KTM and his results were just average. What flashes is Mike showing these days? He struggles with the most important series and he no longer contends outdoors either.
10/19/2014 10:24am
Chad McCan wrote:
People keep talking about the things James has done for his brother, but they keep leaving out the things James has taken from Malcolm. He's never...
People keep talking about the things James has done for his brother, but they keep leaving out the things James has taken from Malcolm.

He's never going to get consideration from Mitch at Pro Circuit, JGR Yamaha, TwoTwo, RCH and obviously Decoster at KTM, factory Kawasaki and factory Honda. That family name brings a lot of drama and baggage. If he's a championship contender, maybe they put up with some of it, but he's not on that level. Suzuki is his only option for a factory bike. What other bridges haven't been burnt by big brother?

With that said, I doubt Malcolm would be racing right now if it weren't for James. If asked, I bet Malcolm would agree that he's benefited as much or more than be hurt by James. But make no mistake, James is the reason why Mookie a privateer.
Ooooooff, bold statement
10/19/2014 10:26am
Chad McCan wrote:
People keep talking about the things James has done for his brother, but they keep leaving out the things James has taken from Malcolm. He's never...

Truth being spoken. This is also why that Pourcel thread is bullshit.
Mickolobe7
10/19/2014 10:28am
Jarrett H wrote:
I agree that it is crazy he doesn't have a ride. He has consistently shown his talent and speed. When a rider is placing in the...
I agree that it is crazy he doesn't have a ride. He has consistently shown his talent and speed. When a rider is placing in the top 5-10 ahead of factory riders, he should have a ride. Period.

The only reason I can conceivably imagine why he isn't signed right now is because of his behavior on the track. Thinking objectively, if I was a team owner/manager/majority sponsor I would be concerned with his professionalism on the track and how that reflects on to the team. Riders that conduct themselves professionally and show great character have been kept by factory teams for years even though they weren't even remotely close to being contenders. From what I've seen in just social media, he seems like a somewhat shy, but super nice KID. I can only speak from media coverage i've seen, but he appears to be very immature.

https://youtu.be/Bz57jZqAnio
https://youtu.be/G1wyTQCkeEE
https://youtu.be/zpSD9KmJyQc
He is young but I think that it just shows how much he wants to win! and he is not going to deal with anyones bullshit.
40Plus_922mx
10/19/2014 10:51am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 10:52am
Looking at Mookies results recently yes he looks to a force to be reconed with. However in the last two years of racing he has been very inconsistant. Obviously his size played issue with the 250 no question there. But up until very recently ie. RBSR and MEC the decisions had been made. So a little too late as far as getting an early call to a team or factory etc.

I know one thing for sure. Much like another family team there is a little bit of a stigma in regards to the atmosphere that may accompany MS. And I am sure that plays a part too.

Ok so now he is put himself in the spotlight a little and people are taking note. Is it coincidental that with no deal, and two one off races he comes out swinging? Of course not. He is marketing himself. I just hope when he lands that deal he keeps on swinging.
jeffro503
10/19/2014 10:56am
Chad McCan wrote:

Dart Board wrote:
Truth being spoken. This is also why that Pourcel thread is bullshit.
I agree with what most of this thread says....and that Malcolm deserves some sort of a ride. CP however......hasn't proven anything indoors. You can't handle the truth kid.

Malcolm is doing " exactly " what he needs to do , and that was go out on his own dime and prove why he deserves a 450 SX ride. Plenty of other guys that have had to put their own money out there to prove a point.

I'd say that this thread and my thread are both on point.
S.Loyer
10/19/2014 11:00am
So, I know some like the Stewarts and some dislike them. However, I think it is time for the team managers to be honest with themselves...
So, I know some like the Stewarts and some dislike them. However, I think it is time for the team managers to be honest with themselves and realize that he is a valuable asset, especially for Supercross which is by far the highest profile series, and needs to be on a team. Not only is he young and his upside very high he is also one of the most popular riders in the pits and is a "name" that it is very popular in our sport. You would think a team like a re-emerging Husqvarna would want a "name" to draw attention to their pits, to their sponsors. He shouldn't be ignored. It seems a lot of people think Malcolm comes with baggage but it s not true for him personally. A young, solid kid, with immense speed and who is one of the biggest draws in the pits and to the public. ?? I'm having trouble understanding what's going on with teams not looking his way.

We all know Malcolm needs to be on a 450 but he has stated he WILL ride a 250 if that is what he needs to do to progress up to the 450 ride.

I know MEC is just one race but it is one of the highest profile races in SX/MX. He finished 5th overall and looked very solid all night, even holding off Trey in the third race. On a TLD Honda he purchased himself when the team switched to KTM, without factory support, on his own dime getting there and racing, with of course, some sponsor support. Holding off Trey, who had been on rails all night long. The MEC race follows a great performance at straight Rhythm, which admittedly is just a different one off event but still shows the kids talent.

He has had some good results in SX and MX in the past and also some inconsistency. Just like almost ALL of the factory riders have had.

Here are the factory or factory supported riders who finished BEHIND Malcolm for the MEC overall.

Justin Hill -Factory KTM
Andrew Short - BTO KTM
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM
Cooper Webb - Yamaha
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM

I mean, honestly, some of the choices the teams have made perplex me. I think CR22 would have been better off choosing Mookie than JG33. BB4 getting a factory 450 ride is questionable too with his wrist history and horrible starts. And Zak Bell getting a Factory Husqvarna ride? Don't even get me started. Pro Circuit's choices? Some odd ones there, too. Tonus will do great outdoors, but what about SX which is, inevitably, more important to teams?

Yes, I am a Mookie fan. But, in all fairness, people are truly making some weird decisions. We know KTM (or probably Husqvarna) won't choose him due to DeCoster's dislike for the family....but that's a whole other gripe I have for another topic.

Just wanted to throw it out there for discussion. And btw, props to JW12 for a solid ride on his own dime as well.

You're kidding me? No one is making weird decisions. Pull your head out of MS's rear end and think about it.

Justin Hill -Factory KTM - Pretty much easily went 2-2 first motos and bad luck the 3rd. Malcom Couldnt do that
Jason Anderson - Factory Husqvarna - Fastest Qualifier - Crashed first, finished ahead of Malcom 2 of 3.
Justin Barcia- JGR Yamaha - Coming off injury, crash, Still beat malcom 2 of 3. Has won races, Will probably win.
Blake Baggett- Yoshimura Suzuki - Mookie can have this ride, I think its a waste but still bet on Baggett
Weston Pieck - JGR Yamaha - Got me here.
Andrew Short - BTO KTM - Think Shorts results the last 5 years back him up.
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM - Kinda same deal as Short
Cooper Webb - Yamaha - 250 class anyways, Didn't see Malcom Clicking off 2nds and national wins.
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM - really?
Chad Reed-TwoTwo Motorsports - Really again? Team owner, injured now, deadly when healthy
Josh Grant- TwoTwo Motorsports - Just won a national moto, slim chance he could win but has a better chance than mookie. Also brings dollars with him.
Zach Osborne-Factory Husqvarna - Couldn't tell you fair match here.
10/19/2014 11:05am
I love Deano but he has been extremely inconsistent in the last couple of seasons. Injuries, arm pump, etc. He somehow landed on Red Bull KTM. Glad for him, but like I said, some of the factory's decisions perplex me.
rmartin517
10/19/2014 11:15am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 11:16am
I think Malcolm brings a solid fan base as well. Headed should get a ride soon. We will see I think he's gonna give us all something to be watching all year long. gonna be something to see with him privateering rounding out solid top10's probably even better on a last year's bike.
robkinuk
10/19/2014 12:23pm
Perhaps Malcolm's career is suffering from some of the fallout & negativity that's surrounded James since his failed drug test?
Team manager's see he moves in the same circle's and entourage as his older brother and may be too risky an investment!
Perhaps he needs to "fly the nest" to be taken seriously by the industry.
Hope he gets a good ride.
10/19/2014 12:50pm
So, I know some like the Stewarts and some dislike them. However, I think it is time for the team managers to be honest with themselves...

Justin Hill -Factory KTM
Andrew Short - BTO KTM
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM
Cooper Webb - Yamaha
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM

S.Loyer wrote:
You're kidding me? No one is making weird decisions. Pull your head out of MS's rear end and think about it. Justin Hill -Factory KTM -...
You're kidding me? No one is making weird decisions. Pull your head out of MS's rear end and think about it.

Justin Hill -Factory KTM - Pretty much easily went 2-2 first motos and bad luck the 3rd. Malcom Couldnt do that
Jason Anderson - Factory Husqvarna - Fastest Qualifier - Crashed first, finished ahead of Malcom 2 of 3.
Justin Barcia- JGR Yamaha - Coming off injury, crash, Still beat malcom 2 of 3. Has won races, Will probably win.
Blake Baggett- Yoshimura Suzuki - Mookie can have this ride, I think its a waste but still bet on Baggett
Weston Pieck - JGR Yamaha - Got me here.
Andrew Short - BTO KTM - Think Shorts results the last 5 years back him up.
Justin Brayton- BTO KTM - Kinda same deal as Short
Cooper Webb - Yamaha - 250 class anyways, Didn't see Malcom Clicking off 2nds and national wins.
Dean Wilson -Factory KTM - really?
Chad Reed-TwoTwo Motorsports - Really again? Team owner, injured now, deadly when healthy
Josh Grant- TwoTwo Motorsports - Just won a national moto, slim chance he could win but has a better chance than mookie. Also brings dollars with him.
Zach Osborne-Factory Husqvarna - Couldn't tell you fair match here.
Hello! I, of course, am not saying he is better than Chad, Andrew, BamBam, Anderson, Webb etc. I am saying that he finished in front of all these guys on factory rides...and wouldn't be surprised if he does so in several Supercross races.

Point being, if Zak Bell, Zach Osborne, Blake Baggett, JG have factory rides then I think Mookie is as good if not better with lots of upside.
djc
10/19/2014 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2014 1:14pm
Correct me if I am wrong but has mookie ever won a race? I can't remember. If not I think this explains why he may not have a ride as a second rider on a team along with what someone else said above about him not being totally consistent.

That being said I agree he deserves a ride I think he has stepped it up this year but is still not a top three guy. I see him being the best of the rest guy like 5-7 on 450s that is. He needs to just go race someone is gonna get hurt and hire him as a fill in.

Post a reply to: Mookie.....really?

The Latest