Monster Energy....bad PR on MSNBC

trailhopper
3/21/2012 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2012 9:12am
No surprise that the Energy drinks are unhealthy but this can't be to good for the title sponsor.

The Today Show
|
TX24
3/21/2012 2:11pm
Their stock price has doubled in the last year.
Mini Elsinore
3/21/2012 2:15pm
TX24 wrote:
Their stock price has doubled in the last year.
Indeed. And, the stock recently split.
dak446
3/21/2012 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 2:25pm
You know what they say about too much of a good thing. People need to take things in moderation and maybe they wouldn't have problems like this. But it's the FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge themselves with any and everything they possibly can.

On a similar note, one of my good friends has diabetes. He drinks a Monster or 2 a day. He's still kickin'.
Titan1
3/21/2012 2:31pm
dak446 wrote:
You know what they say about too much of a good thing. People need to take things in moderation and maybe they wouldn't have problems like...
You know what they say about too much of a good thing. People need to take things in moderation and maybe they wouldn't have problems like this. But it's the FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge themselves with any and everything they possibly can.

On a similar note, one of my good friends has diabetes. He drinks a Monster or 2 a day. He's still kickin'.
I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this one for me:

How is it the "FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge themselves with any and everything they possibly can."

Ever heard of personal responsibility?

The Shop

Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
3/21/2012 2:38pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this one for me: How is it the "FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge...

How is it the "FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge themselves with any and everything they possibly can."

I love this "Ever heard of personal responsibility?"

No shit! The thing is that idiot lawyers and judges have taken that away so that if I drink 10 Monsters a day and get deathly sick, they are liable. Slip and fall on someone's sidewalk and you can sue them.
SL91
3/21/2012 3:10pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'm gonna need you to elaborate on this one for me: How is it the "FDA and manufacturing companys' fault that people binge drink and engorge...

Ramrod wrote:
I love this "Ever heard of personal responsibility?" No shit! The thing is that idiot lawyers and judges have taken that away so that if I...

No shit! The thing is that idiot lawyers and judges have taken that away so that if I drink 10 Monsters a day and get deathly sick, they are liable. Slip and fall on someone's sidewalk and you can sue them.
Ever heard of CORPORATE responsibility?
3/21/2012 3:15pm
SL91 wrote:
oh you mean like the tabacco companies have?
3/21/2012 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 3:31pm
At the end of the day, it's YOU are responsible for what YOU put into YOUR body. That's like people blaming McDonald's for their obesity as they down cheesburgers.

https://youtu.be/4VvheS2Ydog?rel=0
SL91
3/21/2012 3:33pm
SL91 wrote:
No, and that's exactly my point. If tobacco companies were in any way responsible we would not have millions of people dying prematurely from emphysema and lung cancer and medical costs running into the billions of dollars every year. Now, at least (at least here in Canada) it's illegal to sell smokes to minors. Maybe the same should apply to energy drinks. I'm all for personal responsibility, and I don't smoke or drink energy drinks, but sometimes it's a good idea to actually give enough of a shit about the next generation to make sure they become healthy, unaddicted adults.
3/21/2012 3:39pm
SL91 wrote:
SL91 wrote:
No, and that's exactly my point. If tobacco companies were in any way responsible we would not have millions of people dying prematurely from emphysema and...
No, and that's exactly my point. If tobacco companies were in any way responsible we would not have millions of people dying prematurely from emphysema and lung cancer and medical costs running into the billions of dollars every year. Now, at least (at least here in Canada) it's illegal to sell smokes to minors. Maybe the same should apply to energy drinks. I'm all for personal responsibility, and I don't smoke or drink energy drinks, but sometimes it's a good idea to actually give enough of a shit about the next generation to make sure they become healthy, unaddicted adults.
and thats why the FDA food pyramid recommends Grains/carbs as a staple for everyone! animal fat bad! grain good!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
3/21/2012 3:40pm
I expect most people who drink Monster don't care and most people who do care already don't drink Monster.

Wonder which ones are more likely to be watching The Today Show. Whistling
nickm
3/21/2012 3:54pm
If 2 sugar loaded caffeine drinks cause a heart attack, then you better park a few ambulances outside of every starbucks...on any given morning there are a 1/2 dozen obese people sucking back quad shot espressos with 6 packages of sugar.

At any rate energy drinks suck...my personal favorite is when you watch the riders drinking out of an energy drink in the interviews and the can is either a) empty or b) filled with water.
CR250Rider
3/21/2012 4:09pm
I'm not going to shit on my sport's sponsor.
Motodave15
3/21/2012 4:11pm
nickm wrote:
If 2 sugar loaded caffeine drinks cause a heart attack, then you better park a few ambulances outside of every starbucks...on any given morning there are...
If 2 sugar loaded caffeine drinks cause a heart attack, then you better park a few ambulances outside of every starbucks...on any given morning there are a 1/2 dozen obese people sucking back quad shot espressos with 6 packages of sugar.

At any rate energy drinks suck...my personal favorite is when you watch the riders drinking out of an energy drink in the interviews and the can is either a) empty or b) filled with water.
Monster makes a can of water called :TOUR WATER.. its what they give the riders on the podium

i seriously wonder what would happen if the riders were to get off the track and pound a can of legitimate monster?

Anyhoo that is very bad publicity because it's bringing to lite the darkside of these drinks.

i havent had a energy drink in over a year.. and have no urge to drink one lol.
GHR
3/21/2012 4:19pm
nickm wrote:
If 2 sugar loaded caffeine drinks cause a heart attack, then you better park a few ambulances outside of every starbucks...on any given morning there are...

RockStar actually has a can sealed and filled with only water for athletes, (and it says that in small print on the can that its water only), its not for sale that I am aware of and only used for when sponsored athletes crack it open and drink it in front of a camera or whatever.
burnside
3/21/2012 4:23pm
We could come into trouble if there were any restrictions put on how energy drinks are marketed, more importantly, to which age groups... just like McDonals aren't allowed to advertise to kids anymore... that would kill the MX/SX demo.
RaceFace
3/21/2012 4:24pm
Titan1 wrote:

Ramrod wrote:
I love this "Ever heard of personal responsibility?" No shit! The thing is that idiot lawyers and judges have taken that away so that if I...

SL91 wrote:
Imagine if they forced "corporate responsibility"........

how quickly would motorcycle manufacturers be in the hot seat for the products they sell to those unwilling to be responsible for their own actions?
RaceFace
3/21/2012 4:26pm
nickm wrote:

Ha, have seen RV "drink" when the opening in the can wasn't lined up with his mouth because he lined up the logo with the camera.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
3/21/2012 4:43pm
Motodave15 wrote:
Monster makes a can of water called :TOUR WATER.. its what they give the riders on the podium i seriously wonder what would happen if the...
Monster makes a can of water called :TOUR WATER.. its what they give the riders on the podium

i seriously wonder what would happen if the riders were to get off the track and pound a can of legitimate monster?

Anyhoo that is very bad publicity because it's bringing to lite the darkside of these drinks.

i havent had a energy drink in over a year.. and have no urge to drink one lol.
"i seriously wonder what would happen if the riders were to get off the track and pound a can of legitimate monster?"

My first mountain bike race ever (2003?), I pulled off the course on the verge of death. On my way back to the truck there was a guy parked in the vendor area handing out a new product called Monster Energy drink. Energy drink, huh? Sounds like exactly what I need right now, and it looks awfully refreshing sitting there on ice. I drank it. That was the first and last time I have ever had an energy drink. I eventually puked from all the sugar, but even after puking I could not get my heart to settle down.

trailhopper
3/21/2012 4:57pm
burnside wrote:
We could come into trouble if there were any restrictions put on how energy drinks are marketed, more importantly, to which age groups... just like McDonals...
We could come into trouble if there were any restrictions put on how energy drinks are marketed, more importantly, to which age groups... just like McDonals aren't allowed to advertise to kids anymore... that would kill the MX/SX demo.
Thats what I'm afraid of as well. I don't drink them cuz they taste like crap but almost all brands are in every store from coast to coast.....someones drinking em.
Spartacus
3/21/2012 4:57pm
dak446 wrote:
You know what they say about too much of a good thing. People need to take things in moderation and maybe they wouldn't have problems like...

Human physiology 101 tells us that for many many of "us" it's not as easy as just being moderate when it come to the driving inner compulsion too consume certain things. It's not a lack of 'will power' in people.

Manufacturers clearly exploit those drives to their advantage. If you look at how sugar effects the body chemistry, there's a good argument for classifying it as a drug not a food.
3/21/2012 5:15pm
Titan1 wrote:

Ramrod wrote:

SL91 wrote:
Corporate Responsibility applies to Fannie, Freddie, GoldmanSachs et al.; not Monster Energy, Inc.

Wake up son. Shake off that feminization and sensitivity training.
3/21/2012 5:18pm
dak446 wrote:

Spartacus wrote:
Human physiology 101 tells us that for many many of "us" it's not as easy as just being moderate when it come to the driving inner...
Human physiology 101 tells us that for many many of "us" it's not as easy as just being moderate when it come to the driving inner compulsion too consume certain things. It's not a lack of 'will power' in people.

Manufacturers clearly exploit those drives to their advantage. If you look at how sugar effects the body chemistry, there's a good argument for classifying it as a drug not a food.
Hilarious.

Your brain&eyes run solely and exclusively on sugar. So, by your definition, you brain is on drugs 24/7. give me a break.

What's next? atmosphere being classified as a fire hazard?
zippy895
3/21/2012 5:29pm
its only a matter of time with these drinks. this is a sue happy society.
Powermoves
3/21/2012 5:30pm
I don't drink monster energy on the regular but if I go to the supercross. I'm pounding them as much as possible. Oh, and you are lying if you don't think they taste delicious. Like sex in a can.
Spartacus
3/21/2012 5:31pm
dak446 wrote:

Spartacus wrote:
Human physiology 101 tells us that for many many of "us" it's not as easy as just being moderate when it come to the driving inner...

Hilarious. Your brain&eyes run solely and exclusively on sugar. So, by your definition, you brain is on drugs 24/7. give me a break. What's next? atmosphere...
Hilarious.

Your brain&eyes run solely and exclusively on sugar. So, by your definition, you brain is on drugs 24/7. give me a break.

Tyler, Perhaps some research on your part would help you better understand how to not appear quite so ignorant about the subject son. Just saying......

Go Google 'effects of sugar on the brain/body' and read a couple dozen studies for a few hours then come back and mock me.
Motodave15
3/21/2012 5:37pm
Hilarious. Your brain&eyes run solely and exclusively on sugar. So, by your definition, you brain is on drugs 24/7. give me a break. What's next? atmosphere...
Hilarious.

actually the atmosphere is a fire hazard under thermonucler warfare/ hyrdrogen bombs... under a excessive amount though.
Spartacus
3/21/2012 5:45pm
Here, let me get you started......

Any concept of sugar addiction is complicated by a lack of consensus on the actual definition of addiction.

There has been reference to the idea of sugar addiction in the popular literature for a number of years. In 1998, Kathleen DesMaisons[2] outlined the concept of sugar addiction as a measurable physiological state caused by activation of mu opioid receptors in the brain. Her work extracted data from studies done by Blass[3] showing that sugar acted as an analgesic drug whose effects could be blocked by a morphine blocker. Acting on years of anecdotal evidence from her work in the field of addiction, DesMaisons noted that dependence on sugar followed the same track outlined in the DSM IV for other drugs of abuse.

Since that time, a growing body of laboratory evidence[4][5] has corroborated DesMaisons' hypothesis. Bart Hoebel at Princeton began showing the neurochemical effects of sugar, noting that sugar might serve as a gateway drug for other drugs.

In 2008, Nicole Avena published data[4] stating that sugar affects opioids and dopamine in the brain, and thus might be expected to have addictive potential. She references "Bingeing," "withdrawal," "craving" and "cross-sensitization" are each given operational definitions and demonstrated behaviorally with sugar bingeing as the reinforcer. These behaviors are then related to neurochemical changes in the brain that also occur with addictive drugs. Neural adaptations include changes in dopamine and opioid receptor binding, enkephalin mRNA expression and dopamine and acetylcholine release in the nucleus accumbens.

Recent behavioral tests in rats further back the idea of an overlap between sweets and drugs. Drug addiction often includes three steps. A person will increase his intake of the drug, experience withdrawal symptoms when access to the drug is cut off and then face an urge to relapse back into drug use. Rats on sugar have similar experiences. Researchers withheld food for 12 hours and then gave rats food plus sugar water. This created a cycle of binging where the animals increased their daily sugar intake until it doubled. When researchers either stopped the diet or administered an opioid blocker the rats showed signs common to drug withdrawal, such as teeth-chattering and the shakes. Early findings also indicate signs of relapse. Rats weaned off sugar repeatedly pressed a lever that previously dispensed the sweet solution.[5]

The sugar industry claims that similar effects have been reported for rats given solutions that tasted sweet, but contained no calories.[dead link] [6] However, caloric value may not be the issue. Sugar and the taste of sweet stimulate the brain by activating beta endorphin receptor sites. These are the same chemicals activated by heroin and morphine. [7]

Some psychologists maintain that results of this type may indeed provide a new way of looking at overeating, but that much caution should be exercised about using them to effectively put sugar in the same category as drugs. They believe there is some overlap between the systems that control food intake and addiction but this cannot yet unambiguously be said to necessarily make certain foods addictive.[citation needed]

Some animals, and some people, may become overly dependent on sweet food, particularly if they periodically stop eating and then binge. This may relate to eating disorders such as bulimia. It would probably be more correct to refer to the laboratory rats referred to above as "sugar-dependent" rather than "addicted." In general, to be classified as an addiction, reproducible "double blind" experiments would have to show that the experimental subjects exhibited all three elements that make up the definition of this term: a behavioral pattern of increased intake and changes in brain chemistry; then signs of withdrawal and further changes in brain chemistry upon deprivation; and third, signs of craving and relapse after withdrawal is over.

In 2003, a report was commissioned by two U.N. agencies, the World Health Organization and the Food and Agriculture Organization, compiled by a panel of 30 international experts. It stated that sugar should not account for more than 10% of a healthy diet.[3] In contrast, the US Sugar Association [4] insists that other evidence indicates that a quarter of our food and drink intake can safely consist of sugar. However, this contradicts the sugar industry's criticism of the research discussed above:

Research into sugar addiction was initiated at one research group at Princeton University where they fed rats chow as well as a 25% sugar solution - similar to the sugar concentration of soda-pop. In just 1 month the rats became dependent on their daily dose of sweet stuff, they gradually chose to eat less chow but increased their intake of the sugary drink until it doubled.[8]

"The rats were given a drug to block their opiate-receptors and showed withdrawal signs typical of drug-addicted rats- teeth chattering, paw tremors, and head shakes."

Since the preliminary work at Princeton, a number of studies have continued and expanded the assertion for the evidence of sugar addiction.
3/21/2012 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 6:33pm
Here, let me logic you....

-TV
-Sex
-riding
-shopping
-video games

large segments of the population have a propensity for addiction to any one of these things. Would you think for a moment to classify any one as a drug?

Addictive capability does not a drug make. they all affect dopamine just as sugar does. The difference is; you will DIE without sugar.
Motodave15
3/21/2012 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2012 6:37pm
Here, let me logic you.... -TV -Sex -riding -shopping -video games large segments of the population have a propensity for addiction to any one of these...
Here, let me logic you....

-TV
-Sex
-riding
-shopping
-video games

large segments of the population have a propensity for addiction to any one of these things. Would you think for a moment to classify any one as a drug?

Addictive capability does not a drug make. they all affect dopamine just as sugar does. The difference is; you will DIE without sugar.
one of those will cause a internal pressure that would be insane if there was no release......often lol..... soo idk how you can be addicted to it.

Post a reply to: Monster Energy....bad PR on MSNBC

The Latest