Upgrade to enjoy this feature!
Vital MX fantasy is free to play, but Premium users receive great benefits. Premium benefits include:
- View and download rider stats
- Pick trends
- Create a private league
- And more!
Only $10 for all 2026 SX, MX, and SMX series.
I don’t want people to think that the bikes are going slower or are boring. I don’t want people thinking it’s like a bunch of Enduro bikes or duelsport bikes running around. I listened to the bikes at Glen Helen for the GP and they seemed so slow (Payton meant because of the noise not the speed of the riders).
"
I had the opposite reaction at the USGP.
As a rider and fan, I thought the bikes looked the same or even faster as you weren't distracted by the noise level ( especially when they went by close up to you ) and would focus more on the roost and lines they were taking.
And again, it's not like they were anywhere near as quiet as a typical dual-sport. They just didn't have that pain-inducing edge when they went by.
but what the hell does Mitch know.
The Shop
Luxon 4-Post Bar Mounts
$189.95 - $239.95
DeCal Works Huge Plastic Inventory of UFO and Polisport kits.
S
Now that they have a vested interest in the lower DB level they'll figure out the tuning and header / exhaust mods needed to regain the power and still keep the sound down.
My ears can still feel it when I was at the US Open / Vegas one year and watching RC during practice. A bunch of us were along the wall and his bike would always backfire in that section. Everyone was covering their ears as it was actually painful.
More so in Europe than America, because many of our GP circuits are getting closer and closer to cities and villages.
Thanks FIM for working on this.
Geoff
And hopefully quieter bikes at the pro level will trickle down to the amature level, then to the weekend warriors (via quieter stock bikes, and quieter aftermarket pipes). Everyone will win.
I thought we were talking closed course competition on private property?
And the sound issue is the main issue with closed course competition on private property (along with the dust)....the sound is the easiest target for those that are looking for any excuse to close tracks, and so I believe that quieter bikes are a good idea because it reduces the size of that target.
Pit Row
and we the having fun club do not
Unfortunately sound doesnt stop at the private property boundaries.
I felt I was legislated out of my home country
So I moved to a country where there are not many no fun club types
in fact its pretty much a free for all,
which is great but it does have its share of draw backs
S
Mitch goes to a race and say's bikes look slow, I believe him.
But if you are at a Nat. it should sound like one. Nothing makes the adrenaline flow like the 450 class coming off the gate. The AMA Nats. is not the problem its the local tracks. How many bikes at Loretta Lynn`s or any other Am. Nat. do you think would pass sound? I agree with Mr.Payton, bring down the noise at the local races and practice tracks but leave the Pro Nats. alone.
There's got to be some other motive, who knows what but any logical person can see how futile it is to mandate a lower db rating for the pros if the expectation is to have any impact on fixing the problem, which is at the local level.
If you have a track on your farm or private property and is not zoned correctly and a home builder starts building, you can rest assured, the tracks days are numbered.
AMA could force electric motocross bikes, again, they will say the problem is dust, when it is really, people who own homes do not want a track of any kind by the house because of the afor mentioned reasons.
End of rant.
Post a reply to: Mitch Payton on rule changes