Membership Fee???

shue201
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:20am
I would like to get everyone's take on paying a membership fee for a track. By now, you all have probably seen the track photos, videos, etc from the track I am working with. Well, we originally planned to charge a small $35 membership fee that would be good for 1yr. You would still have to pay the daily riding fee of $20 on the days you come ride.

When we originally planned this, we were planning to be open 6 days a week. Now, we have decided to open only on select weekends....for now. We had a perfect 1st weekend and just want to make sure that we are capable of making the track that good everytime we open the gate.

We have already had about 20 riders buy memberships, which was at a $10 discount on the opening weekend. So, I have been trying to look at things from every angle and want our facility to be as good and fair as possible. So....my question to you guys & girls...."What kind of things would make it worth paying a membership fee for a top notch practice facility?"

*Open daily (prepped or un-prepped)
*Open select weekends (Prepped perfectly and feels like a BIG event)
*Special events for free or a discount? (schools, concerts, etc.)
*Would it be best to have alternate weekends open to non-members or maybe the last few hrs of a day that is open to members?

We don't want to come off snobby or exclude people, but we plan to make our facility like no other around and set ourself apart. In order to do that we have to charge more than just the $20 riding fee.

Thanks in advance for the input!!
|
bogdan912
11/19/2009 7:36am
If someone has to pay a membership fee the track should be open at minimum every weekend.
huck
11/19/2009 7:39am
$35.00 isn't very much anyway.

Charge people a couple hundred and let them ride there whenever they want (members only)...but only have select "open" weekends that will be "prepped". Give the members a $5.00 discount on those days...

tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
11/19/2009 8:50am
Memberships keep your lawsuits down is what I have always heard. Is this true?

I agree with Huck,

charge $300 to $600 bucks a year and give them a key and on select weekends charge a gate fee only to members. Maybe 10 bucks or so...

Seriously 600 dollars a year is only 30 trips a year on average and you get the convience of riding when you (the rider) wants to...
Gonzo0100
11/19/2009 8:52am
do it but your first ride should be free with paid membership.

55$ or 60$ for the initial ride is hefty.

The Shop

Rupert X
11/19/2009 9:15am

Matt, I can't speak for everyone here, obviously, but i think there are a lot of people that,

if they join, like the exclusivity of belonging to a "club" . A cool sticker that attaches

to one's front window (like Loretta's camping sticker fr'instance) - or a handsome

"hard-card" to be worn about the neck on a lanyard.....something that makes folks feel

like they belong to your particular organization. Like they are special.

And treat them special.

People will pay good money for that.
Cygnus
11/19/2009 9:17am
As of January first I am going to private membership. Key holders and guests only guests will be 15.00 or 20.00 a day. With one prep day 10.00 for members once a month. I am also going to lease the track to a couple guys to do a full blown Local club race. I get the gate and concessions for that event. Then I will take over that event or two after a couple years. It is a good time to build so when the economy recovers I will be ready to handle the crowds. HAR
PaleBlue
11/19/2009 9:34am
Cygnus wrote:
As of January first I am going to private membership. Key holders and guests only guests will be 15.00 or 20.00 a day. With one prep...
As of January first I am going to private membership. Key holders and guests only guests will be 15.00 or 20.00 a day. With one prep day 10.00 for members once a month. I am also going to lease the track to a couple guys to do a full blown Local club race. I get the gate and concessions for that event. Then I will take over that event or two after a couple years. It is a good time to build so when the economy recovers I will be ready to handle the crowds. HAR
Good to see that you (at least) are not forgetting the racers! Apart from anything else, what credibilty does a track have if nobody ever races there?
Cygnus
11/19/2009 9:48am
Cygnus wrote:
As of January first I am going to private membership. Key holders and guests only guests will be 15.00 or 20.00 a day. With one prep...
PaleBlue wrote:
Good to see that you (at least) are not forgetting the racers! Apart from anything else, what credibilty does a track have if nobody ever races...
Good to see that you (at least) are not forgetting the racers! Apart from anything else, what credibilty does a track have if nobody ever races there?
Funny you mention that. The busiest track in Colorado as far as rider turn out is Watkins. They do a half assed prep and have tons of riders. Location is what it's all about here(15 minutes from a metroplex). They went for ten years with out a race. Then old Al let the RMXA do one and said "never again". Sadly Al passed a couple years ago and the went through some issues and have started holding races there again. I have only done 3 GP Style events here.
ASH510
11/19/2009 10:09am
i think if it has multiple tracks MX,SX,AX and kids track $500 +
is not that bad. if it is just an MX track $500 or less is
ok if its prepped at least 1 day a week. if not prepped
it should be $150 or less for membership price.
kaw rider9
11/19/2009 10:13am
Cygnus wrote:
I'll go 5.00 dollars, maybe six...
shue201
11/19/2009 4:54pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:02pm
Ok, well here is what we have come up with for now.

Membership Fee - $35/yr
Ride Fee - $20/day for Members and $30/day for Non-members

We are also thinking of a doing a punch card type deal where, Members pay $180 for 10 rides and Non-members pay $270 for 10 rides. Basically get 1 ride for free.

Days/Hours
Tuesday & Wednesday 11-5 (Light Prep...bad bumps/ruts taken out and light water just to make sure it isn't a dust bowl) or (No prep) What do you think???
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

None of this is set in stone, just wanted to get yalls input.

O and we plan to have races once we get up on our feet. Gotta crawl first. The aren't too many quality tracks around, so hopefully will be able to get into one of the series' that we have around here.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
11/19/2009 5:02pm
shue201 wrote:
Ok, well here is what we have come up with for now. [b]Membership Fee - $35/yr [/b] Ride Fee - [b]$20/day for Members[/b] and [b]$30/day for...

Membership Fee - $35/yr

We are also thinking of a doing a punch card type deal where, Members pay $180 for 10 rides and Non-members pay $270 for 10 rides. Basically get 1 ride for free.

Days/Hours
Tuesday & Wednesday 11-5 (Light Prep...bad bumps/ruts taken out and light water just to make sure it isn't a dust bowl) or (No prep) What do you think???
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

O and we plan to have races once we get up on our feet. Gotta crawl first. The aren't too many quality tracks around, so hopefully will be able to get into one of the series' that we have around here.
This seems like fair deal. I would rather pay $25 to ride and not have a membership fee.

But I think this will work fine.
Guzzler
11/19/2009 5:05pm
I think that what you posted above for your fees is very fair. However your times for being open for Sunday is a litrle late. More like 9-4 would be better.
roguemx
11/19/2009 5:30pm
The two local tracks we have the membership's are $500 a piece and a $20 gate charge. So a $35 membership sounds like a drop in the bucket to me. It is beneficial to have a non-member weekend to see what your place is all about. Maybe offer a discount if brought in by a member.
JOHN CHOATE
11/19/2009 6:49pm
shue201 wrote:
Ok, well here is what we have come up with for now. [b]Membership Fee - $35/yr [/b] Ride Fee - [b]$20/day for Members[/b] and [b]$30/day for...

Membership Fee - $35/yr

Days/Hours
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

IMO this sounds pretty decent. Around the Carolina's and Virginia, there are a fair number of counties that have been hit really hard due to the economy(higher than average unemployment rates nationwide) and $500 mem. fees wouldn't fly. Most of the tracks in these parts charge between $15-20 practice fees and sometimes $5 spectator fees but have no mem. fees. These tracks are not quite as nice as your facility(judging from your pics) but get a decent turnout with Sat. practices. I would think you would have to sweetin' the pot(slang) somehow to get people to travel very far(100+ miles?) to practice. I have been spoiled around the Charlotte area as we are lucky to have ample places to practice within a 50mi. radius. Good luck Matt, and maybe I'll see ya down there sometime.
BAD10
11/19/2009 7:30pm
shue201 wrote:

Membership Fee - $35/yr

Days/Hours
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

IMO this sounds pretty decent. Around the Carolina's and Virginia, there are a fair number of counties that have been hit really hard due to the...
IMO this sounds pretty decent. Around the Carolina's and Virginia, there are a fair number of counties that have been hit really hard due to the economy(higher than average unemployment rates nationwide) and $500 mem. fees wouldn't fly. Most of the tracks in these parts charge between $15-20 practice fees and sometimes $5 spectator fees but have no mem. fees. These tracks are not quite as nice as your facility(judging from your pics) but get a decent turnout with Sat. practices. I would think you would have to sweetin' the pot(slang) somehow to get people to travel very far(100+ miles?) to practice. I have been spoiled around the Charlotte area as we are lucky to have ample places to practice within a 50mi. radius. Good luck Matt, and maybe I'll see ya down there sometime.
John Choate, I have given a lot of thought about moving to the Charlotte area. About how many tracks are there? Are they Decent? I would guess the dirt is that nice red clay? I raced in Ga and at Reidsville S.C, back in the day, but have never rode in N.C.
JOHN CHOATE
11/19/2009 7:45pm
shue201 wrote:

Membership Fee - $35/yr

Days/Hours
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

IMO this sounds pretty decent. Around the Carolina's and Virginia, there are a fair number of counties that have been hit really hard due to the...
BAD10 wrote:
John Choate, I have given a lot of thought about moving to the Charlotte area. About how many tracks are there? Are they Decent? I would...
John Choate, I have given a lot of thought about moving to the Charlotte area. About how many tracks are there? Are they Decent? I would guess the dirt is that nice red clay? I raced in Ga and at Reidsville S.C, back in the day, but have never rode in N.C.
In my experience, most tracks that I have raced/practiced at would be medium to hard but there are a few sandy tracks within reasonable driving distance(moved here from Fla). Zach Osbourne has a track about an hour from Charlotte and it's on the softer half of the spectrum too. There are at least 10 tracks(public and private) that I am aware of within about 50 miles and most of them are pretty nice with elevation changes and challenging, yet somewhat safe, jumps and such.

If you need more info or happen to be in the area, PM me and we'll meet up.
11/19/2009 7:50pm
how about having a 1 day membership dealio? like 20 to ride plus 10 for a 1 day pass.
motogeeze
11/19/2009 8:15pm
Paying a yearly membership to me is a gamble because I personally wouldnt get to ride enough at the one track to justify up front costs ($35 bucks isnt going to break the bank but its still almost two more days of riding if you only got to come out there three times).. Im willing to pay a bit more than "members" per day to be an occasional visitor to the facility . I think many who ride more recreationally than full time race are in the same kind of situation. Jobs, family and other restraints dictate how much we can do and even tho we would like to ride every weekend its just not possible.
The multiple ride purchase in advance discount is a good idea but again what if you bought it and didnt use it up before the year was out? Does it expire? Roll over like phone minutes?
As far as prep, , dust control , especially in the summer and dryer times is and should be the priority, ruts, chop and bumps are a part of motocross, smooth , flat motocross tracks are just silly to me ..anyone can go around those at speed ., ...of course jump faces with ruts and kickers and landing zones should be monitored and grooomed accordingly to enhance safety but in general the rougher the better I think.
The Sunday start time seems a bit late but perhaps there are mitigating circumstances such as a church in the area or the extra hours are needed to prep after saturday? I suppose times could be adjusted once you get a feel for what the demand would be on what days and according to how much daylight you have to work with during the year.
Hope to get to check it out soon...good luck..
oldx
11/19/2009 8:20pm
If I was still riding tracks I would consider these prices very fair.
Lightning78
11/19/2009 8:26pm
Gonzo0100 wrote:
do it but your first ride should be free with paid membership.

55$ or 60$ for the initial ride is hefty.
It sucks when you have to pay that much to ride your first ride at a new track or when it expires honestly down here we have more than a few choices as places to ride and epecially places you don't have to pay a membership to. This keeps me away from going to many tracks in the area that charge for a membership when I don't have to pay for others.

I do agree with not charging riders to ride the same day they pay for the membership that offsets a lot of the cost and I won't feel as bad when I don't ride there for 6 months due to injury or being preoccupied. Milestone did that for me when I reupped my membership and it was very cool of them to do that.
PaleBlue
11/19/2009 11:35pm
Wow, $500 membership fee! Those guys are lucky to have such a captive audience there. That certainly wouldn' t fly here in England. Where I live I have 7 good practise tracks within an hour or so's (slow) driving! (and several more 'race only' tracks). Also during the season most amatuer riders here race most weekends, and so practice very little. Things change in the winter, but even then, it makes sense to practice at a variety of tracks - different surfaces and challenges etc...
shue201
11/20/2009 5:57am
motogeeze wrote:
Paying a yearly membership to me is a gamble because I personally wouldnt get to ride enough at the one track to justify up front costs...
Paying a yearly membership to me is a gamble because I personally wouldnt get to ride enough at the one track to justify up front costs ($35 bucks isnt going to break the bank but its still almost two more days of riding if you only got to come out there three times).. Im willing to pay a bit more than "members" per day to be an occasional visitor to the facility . I think many who ride more recreationally than full time race are in the same kind of situation. Jobs, family and other restraints dictate how much we can do and even tho we would like to ride every weekend its just not possible.
The multiple ride purchase in advance discount is a good idea but again what if you bought it and didnt use it up before the year was out? Does it expire? Roll over like phone minutes?
As far as prep, , dust control , especially in the summer and dryer times is and should be the priority, ruts, chop and bumps are a part of motocross, smooth , flat motocross tracks are just silly to me ..anyone can go around those at speed ., ...of course jump faces with ruts and kickers and landing zones should be monitored and grooomed accordingly to enhance safety but in general the rougher the better I think.
The Sunday start time seems a bit late but perhaps there are mitigating circumstances such as a church in the area or the extra hours are needed to prep after saturday? I suppose times could be adjusted once you get a feel for what the demand would be on what days and according to how much daylight you have to work with during the year.
Hope to get to check it out soon...good luck..
I agree with much that you just said and many of your suggestions are things we are planning to do, like the prep for instance.

As for the start time on Sunday...yes there is a church right down the road from us. Once we get this thing off the ground and possibly work out something with the church, those times will possibly change. We heard they only hold church there once a month....for some reason. Still not 100% sure that is true yet.

I think the 1st ride for free when you purchase a membership isn't a bad idea at all.

What the one guy said about a 1 day membership for $10 and $20 ride fee....thats the same as we are doing...$30 for non-members. Just a different way of wording it I guess.

Thanks for all the input. Once we have nailed down all the details I will post them here and maybe even offer a "Vital MX Forum Discount Coupon"!!!
slowvet
11/20/2009 6:31am
Rupert X wrote:
Matt, I can't speak for everyone here, obviously, but i think there are a lot of people that, if they join, like the exclusivity of belonging...

Matt, I can't speak for everyone here, obviously, but i think there are a lot of people that,

if they join, like the exclusivity of belonging to a "club" . A cool sticker that attaches

to one's front window (like Loretta's camping sticker fr'instance) - or a handsome

"hard-card" to be worn about the neck on a lanyard.....something that makes folks feel

like they belong to your particular organization. Like they are special.

And treat them special.

People will pay good money for that.
Club mx racing like in europe never really took off here, instead we have districts which cover a lot of area. The club's in Belgium and Holland that I remember, people had to pay to join and volunteer their time towards the upkeep of the track and surrounding grounds. I think it would be really cool to set up more club run tracks, I think it gives it more of a 'family' feel.
motofab36
11/20/2009 6:53am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2009 6:54am
Being from Illinois many families like to make a few trips south during the winter to get some seat time. I think you definately need to do a per day fee for the "out of towners". Sometimes people will drive down for the weekend and stay at one track and other times go down for a few days or a week and start out at one track like Monster Mt. or Waldo for a day or two the hit a couple other tracks as they head back north. 25-35 per day is fine but the yearly memberships are fine for the locals or the northerners who can go south for the winter.

What's the website for your facility?
Team Ideal
11/20/2009 7:11am
shue201 wrote:

Membership Fee - $35/yr

Days/Hours
Saturday 9-4 (Full Prep)
Sunday 12-4 (Full Prep)

that works for me. we always have a big group that heads down that way during the winter months and I was afraid your intial price of $35 plus another $20 to ride would scare a few people off in our crowd. I think non member price is good and everyone will go for it. only other concern is late Sunday start time, we head down on Thursday night ride Fri.-Sun. head back late Sunday. that late of a start time would put a damper on things. guess we could stop on way down, but was planning on hitting your track on way back. we'll figure it out somehow. See you mid Jan. or Feb. maybe both.
shue201
11/20/2009 9:03am
Website is www.ampmx.com or you can check out our Facebook page. More potos are actually on FB at the moment.

Team Ideal - Our Sunday start time is really..."just for now". We don't want to upset the locals too much right off the bat. By the time you guys are tlking about coming down, we should have things more dialed in and our Sunday start may very well be earlier. Like I said, we have been told the church only has church there once a month. Once we determine if that is true, we will know that 3 weeks out of every month, we won't have to worry about them and can start earlier. Just that one week, it wold probably have to be at noon.

FYI - It looks like the weather(rain) is going to hold off for the most part of Saturday, so we are going to be open Saturday for sure and play Sunday by ear. If there is anyone here thinking about coming.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Cygnus
11/20/2009 9:12am
I will waive all membership fees for out of state riders. I might even go as far as those that travel more than a certain mileage 150 miles or something to that effect. I think that helps guys out if they really want to come and check the place out.

Post a reply to: Membership Fee???

The Latest