Knee Braces

Related:
Create New Tag

10/29/2017 11:55 AM

Hi All,

My son had ACL reconstruction surgery back in January and has been off the bike all year. He is now looking to making a bit of a steady come back to riding again.

What is peoples thoughts on knee braces? That may seem a bit of a dumb question but he has never worn them previously only knee guards (just to add his injury was through BMX street riding not MX)

Just wondered what people recommend as these things aren't cheap and not sure how much protection they provide against aggravating his injury.

Cheers

|

10/29/2017 12:03 PM

The money spent is worth it

|

10/29/2017 12:32 PM

Health care plan + cti2 = free. There money well spent

|

10/29/2017 1:06 PM

I tore up my knee a year ago. After a few months later being able to barely walk again and wanting to get start getting back on the bike, I invested in a nice pair of knee braces. Honestly it is money that is VERY well spent and I wish I had done it long ago. I can't imagine riding without them now and they build confidence that helps you ride better. It's a must in my opinion.

The hard part is, the knee braces are all very different and most MX stores don't carry that many different braces. You really need to try them on and make sure they fit right. The knee braces need to be a part of your body when riding and they can't be something that is a nuisance. They need to build subliminal confidence, not be a background distraction. Getting the right kind for your son and making sure they fit right is critical. Take your time and do it right. Don't cut corners financially, it's just not worth it. Been there, done that.

|

10/29/2017 2:30 PM

Kris Keefer recently did a knee brace shootout. You can listen here: Show #24

|

10/29/2017 2:36 PM

I’d consider the Leatt C-Frames, if you’v never worn braces, feels just like regular knee guards against the frame. I tried asterisks before the c frames and gave them to my son, hated the feel trying to grip the bike. No problems with the c frames, and they’ve already saved my right knee from being destroyed in a bad crash.

|

10/29/2017 3:10 PM

r.sal923 wrote:

Health care plan + cti2 = free. There money well spent

How do you go about getting them? Do you have to have a knee injury to be considered for them? I have kaiser health insurance and have always been interested in trying to get some CTI2 for free lol

|

10/29/2017 3:11 PM

BristolBlue wrote:

Hi All,

My son had ACL reconstruction surgery back in January and has been off the bike all year. He is now looking to making a bit of a steady come back to riding again.

What is peoples thoughts on knee braces? That may seem a bit of a dumb question but he has never worn them previously only knee guards (just to add his injury was through BMX street riding not MX)

Just wondered what people recommend as these things aren't cheap and not sure how much protection they provide against aggravating his injury.

Cheers

They are definitely worth the money. I have a pair of Asterisk braces and i wont ride without them. Take a look at the Mobius knee braces though, they look more compact then the Asterisk braces i have.

|

10/29/2017 3:17 PM

CTI hands down.

|

10/29/2017 3:54 PM

I recommend Cti if you can afford them. Even with insurance mine were expensive but I prefer the custom fit that they offer. Remember a knee brace doesn't prevent injuries but I still won't ride without mine. I tore my ACL, MCL,PCL and miniscus and that was with a brace on but it probably would have been even worse without.

|

10/29/2017 5:53 PM

I tore my my ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus,and snapped my petella tendon back in 2002 when I whipped it (unintentional) over a muddy table top while in second, last lap in Open A money class. Anyways, dislocated my knee and tore it up pretty bad. I’ve had many custom DonJoy Defiance’s, and tried off the shelf Ortema’s which are the non custom version of what Roczen wears. I now have Cti’s and for good reason. Don’t get me wrong, Donjoy’s are outstanding Braces, I believe more better suited for football, skiing, General athletic use, but not so much for Moto. They’re bulky and just really aren’t that great in extreme knee flexion when sitting down cornering. Off the shelf DonJoy Armor’s like Grant Langston wore are better suited that have thin aluminum frames. But Custom is where Comfort and protection really are obtained.

The off the shelf Ortema’s are decent, but I’ve sprained my knee in a light tip over. Comfy, but not much protection imo. They were semi custom since Ortema in Germany heats up the plastic brace and molds it somewhat to your leg profile. Custom Ortema’s cost $10k btw.

And now Ossur Custom Cti’s. Hands down the most comfy and protective knee braces for Moto! It’s no wonder 90% of Pro Moto guys wear them. I know there’s sponsorship deals that play apart in that, but take Adam Cincirello. He had custom Ortema’s just like Roczen but ended up switching Custom Cti’s. They just fit like a glove, don’t move or migrate around, and have been crash tested. The ‘Mx Kit’ that includes the knee cap guards really function great and move with the brace. They were $500 out of pocket with my Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. My Ortho doc wrote a couple scripts. They’re $1400 worst case scenario out the door I believe if insurance doesn’t cover it. But they charge insurance $2k I believe.

Take my $0.02 for what it’s worth, but I’d like to think with has bad my knees have been tore up and all the knee braces and Years I’ve dealt with them, my advice is worth at least a quarter!

|

10/29/2017 5:53 PM

CTI if you can.
If not POD gets my next vote.
Then asterisk.
Then mobius.

I rated them from slimmest to largest in my opinion. I have tried all 4.

|

10/29/2017 5:54 PM

Photo

|

10/29/2017 6:18 PM

Orthema is the best you can get imo
If you want to spend that much money is another story

|

10/29/2017 7:05 PM

Graybeard wrote:

I’d consider the Leatt C-Frames, if you’v never worn braces, feels just like regular knee guards against the frame. I tried asterisks before the c frames and gave them to my son, hated the feel trying to grip the bike. No problems with the c frames, and they’ve already saved my right knee from being destroyed in a bad crash.

I second checking out the C Frames. The reason I tore my knee up was because I tried the other braces and couldn't get comfortable with any of them and thus didn't buy them or wear them. They were bulky or my legs didn't grip the bike because they slip around on the shrouds due to the brace rubbing against the plastic - I just couldn't get comfortable and ride with the other braces and thus didn't. Then I tried the C Frames - instant comfort and feel on the bike along with great protection.

It the OP tries on knee braces, see if you can try them on and actually sit on a bike and try to grip it. These other braces are quality braces, but if you can't ride with them on comfortably then whats the point? The Frames are very good IMO.

|

10/29/2017 7:13 PM

No love for EVS? I went from C180's to EDGE to RS7's (I still have them).
Maybe not the best but, good if price is an issue.

|

10/29/2017 7:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/29/2017 7:57 PM

r.sal923 wrote:

Health care plan + cti2 = free. There money well spent

mxjon454 wrote:

How do you go about getting them? Do you have to have a knee injury to be considered for them? I have kaiser health insurance and have always been interested in trying to get some CTI2 for free lol

Contact CTi and they will walk you through the process, as it relates to your coverage (or not). You’ll need an Rx for them too.

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!





10/29/2017 8:22 PM

r.sal923 wrote:

Health care plan + cti2 = free. There money well spent

Mine didn't want to cover it

|

10/29/2017 10:29 PM

guys, the OP is British and I believe they have single payer health coverage there given to them by her majesty the queen, so I doubt they will be giving him CTi2s... I could be wrong though, usually am!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/29/2017 11:27 PM

Graybeard wrote:

I’d consider the Leatt C-Frames, if you’v never worn braces, feels just like regular knee guards against the frame. I tried asterisks before the c frames and gave them to my son, hated the feel trying to grip the bike. No problems with the c frames, and they’ve already saved my right knee from being destroyed in a bad crash.

TbonesPop wrote:

I second checking out the C Frames. The reason I tore my knee up was because I tried the other braces and couldn't get comfortable with any of them and thus didn't buy them or wear them. They were bulky or my legs didn't grip the bike because they slip around on the shrouds due to the brace rubbing against the plastic - I just couldn't get comfortable and ride with the other braces and thus didn't. Then I tried the C Frames - instant comfort and feel on the bike along with great protection.

It the OP tries on knee braces, see if you can try them on and actually sit on a bike and try to grip it. These other braces are quality braces, but if you can't ride with them on comfortably then whats the point? The Frames are very good IMO.

My experience is different with the C-Frames. Rode in them for 2 years (only been riding 2 years) and had many problems with them and to add fuel to the fire, recently tore my ACL in them with just a simple stab to the ground.

The hinge bolts kept breaking, replaced them with longer ones and that fixed the issue. Always had to tighten them 2 times, meaning tighten them first time, then do a couple of squats and what not in them and then tighthen once again, if I didn't do that, they would come loose during first session.

I'll give you that they were kinda comfortable, but I actually would have liked for them to be a little bit bigger on the inside (with what you grip the bike), since I felt like it was kind of hard to grip the bike on the new style Husky's.

After my recovery, definitely looking into CTI's.

|

10/30/2017 4:27 AM

I've had asterisk for the past couple of years and bought POD braces last month. I absolutely love them! They are less bulky and seem to hold my knee together much better than the asterisk did.

|

10/30/2017 5:38 AM

r.sal923 wrote:

Health care plan + cti2 = free. There money well spent

mxjon454 wrote:

How do you go about getting them? Do you have to have a knee injury to be considered for them? I have kaiser health insurance and have always been interested in trying to get some CTI2 for free lol

This is Canadian blue cross I have. I spoke to cti and they sent me a doctors form to fill out. Then when to my family doctor and had her sign it. Preventive for knee injures in sport.

|

10/30/2017 5:10 PM

EV901 wrote:

My experience is different with the C-Frames. Rode in them for 2 years (only been riding 2 years) and had many problems with them and to add fuel to the fire, recently tore my ACL in them with just a simple stab to the ground.

The hinge bolts kept breaking, replaced them with longer ones and that fixed the issue. Always had to tighten them 2 times, meaning tighten them first time, then do a couple of squats and what not in them and then tighthen once again, if I didn't do that, they would come loose during first session.

I'll give you that they were kinda comfortable, but I actually would have liked for them to be a little bit bigger on the inside (with what you grip the bike), since I felt like it was kind of hard to grip the bike on the new style Husky's.

After my recovery, definitely looking into CTI's.

I can understand how you could still tear an ACL with them. Any knee brace isn't full proof against tearing an ACL and I can see how that still happens. RV2 tore his ACL with a very slight dab going slow around a corner the one season in SX wearing knee braces (I don't remember which brand). They may help minimize risk of injury, but won't fully guaranteed prevent it. When I tore my knee up, I seriously hyperextended it on a dab, and I never want to go through that again. The braces have adjustments that I installed that prevent the least amount of hyperextension movement. When I put mine on, I always put them on and do a couple of squats in them to loosen up the straps, then I re-strap them on tighter. If I do that, I never have to adjust again during the day. I have also learned that there is a method to how to strap them on - gotta follow the directions, not just dive in and start strapping them on. I have never had any hinge bolts break yet and that may have been an early problem with them that they resolved. Sounds like you may have gotten an earlier model.

I know there are a lot of good brands out there. I just could never get comfortable with any of the bigger, bulky, slick feeling braces that led my legs to sliding around on the shrouds. Just personal preference I suppose.

|

10/31/2017 12:00 PM

Thanks guys,

I think the biggest problem now is the psychologic one and the worry of doing it all over again.

I guess any kind of brace gives you a little more confidence that it is protected in some way.

|