KTM plan B

hartebreak
Fantasy
169th
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:52am
So it seems like RD is putting all his eggs in 1 basket with signing Dungey. Lets just say he chooses to stay with Zuke, or goes to JGR. Where would the KTM guys look for another 450 rider. It seems like this year most guys are going into their 2nd year of contracts except for a few guys. Personally I think if Dungey doesnt go to KTM, then Roger will re-sign MA800 for a 1 year deal to kind of keep the seat warm and then go after one of the many free agents next year. Unless of course he can lure someone like Desalle or Cairoli to come over. Opinions??
|
karnivool
7/12/2011 8:00pm
ktm will sell americas soul to win...the fastest europeans will always get a shot on American soil due to KTM...

bit as history always proves, there is a reason those guys are fast in europe...

DeCoster will pay anything for the intangibles that Dungey brings to the table, he appears to have the most drive...trying to make up for lack of.....better not...
Adam43
7/12/2011 8:32pm
I have a feeling that Dungey/KTM is hardly set in stone.

The agency Dungey has hired is full of some real pros. They will get him top dollar wherever he goes.

KTM is going to be in good shape regardless for years to come with Roczen, Herlings, and Musquin all under contract. Shrewd signings.
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
7/12/2011 8:40pm
I thought Sorby said, JS to KTM!

The Shop

Mini Elsinore
7/12/2011 8:43pm
RonSkj wrote:
I thought Sorby said, JS to KTM!
What? I thought Bobby screwed the pooch on that deal...... Wink
Xeno
7/12/2011 8:57pm
Don't forget that Roczen will be here next year for KTM. Probably Lites supercross with 350/450 rides on the opposite coast.
Lightning78
7/12/2011 9:52pm
what if 5 41 and 22 all rode together that would be dirty.
TDeath21
7/12/2011 9:56pm
Before KTM does anything, they need to can the 350 idea completely. If they don't get Dungey (which I don't think they will) then they should just keep the team they have now for another year, adding Roczen of course.
Mstock
7/12/2011 9:57pm
Contracts are made to be broken. I think we will see several riders do it this year. There is no union. 100% free agency in this sport. At least for the well healed.
Faceaz
7/12/2011 10:59pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2011 10:59pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Before KTM does anything, they need to can the 350 idea completely. If they don't get Dungey (which I don't think they will) then they should...
Before KTM does anything, they need to can the 350 idea completely. If they don't get Dungey (which I don't think they will) then they should just keep the team they have now for another year, adding Roczen of course.
Good idea.

Can the very succesful company philosophy (providing niche bikes that other manufacturers don't have) that's gotten you so far.

LOL..
DL
7/12/2011 11:23pm
As far as what will Suzuki do, the word in Sweden and Germany is that Reed is going back to yellow.........
Ddavis
7/13/2011 12:11am
Stroupe + 350 = Could do some damage IMO. Doubt KTM would sign Austin, but RogerD has worked with Austin in the past, and Austin has tons of speed and potential.
calimxer91
7/13/2011 12:18am
Ddavis wrote:
Stroupe + 350 = Could do some damage IMO. Doubt KTM would sign Austin, but RogerD has worked with Austin in the past, and Austin has...
Stroupe + 350 = Could do some damage IMO. Doubt KTM would sign Austin, but RogerD has worked with Austin in the past, and Austin has tons of speed and potential.
Stroupe is a darkhorse.I'm sure he will have a ride next year.Only question is where.
Ddavis
7/13/2011 12:56am
Ddavis wrote:
Stroupe + 350 = Could do some damage IMO. Doubt KTM would sign Austin, but RogerD has worked with Austin in the past, and Austin has...
calimxer91 wrote:
Stroupe is a darkhorse.I'm sure he will have a ride next year.Only question is where.
Austin had some good speed in Phoenix this year, if he is healthy and has his head on straight he can be top 5 for sure. Maybe even on the podium with the "Big 4" there.
Fearo
7/13/2011 1:13am
If Dungey doesn't end up at KTM, I'm pretty sure they will push super hard to get one of the front runners from the GP's to come over. Antonio Cairoli has said that he would consider the opportunity if it's presented to him.
Xeno
7/13/2011 1:15am
Ddavis wrote:
Austin had some good speed in Phoenix this year, if he is healthy and has his head on straight he can be top 5 for sure...
Austin had some good speed in Phoenix this year, if he is healthy and has his head on straight he can be top 5 for sure. Maybe even on the podium with the "Big 4" there.
Stroupe on the podium in 450 supercross?

He would have to beat at least 3 of following 5 people:

Bubba
Canard
Dungey
Villo
Reed
Ddavis
7/13/2011 2:21am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2011 2:22am
Ddavis wrote:
Austin had some good speed in Phoenix this year, if he is healthy and has his head on straight he can be top 5 for sure...
Xeno wrote:
Stroupe on the podium in 450 supercross?

He would have to beat at least 3 of following 5 people:

Bubba
Canard
Dungey
Villo
Reed
Why do you doubt that? Or Stroupe as a rider, he's an incredible rider and has ran with the best of 'em, no reason he can't finish on the box. That's why they line them up and race.
ST Anmore
7/13/2011 3:44am Edited Date/Time 7/13/2011 3:44am
Can't see Cairoli going over full time, but wouldn't suprise me if Desalle was signed!

Although Desalle + SX = Plan D...
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
7/13/2011 4:47am
Ddavis wrote:
" . . . if he is healthy and has his head on straight . . ."

That might be the biggest "if" in the history of the internets. At some point people stop gambling on potential.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
7/13/2011 5:08am
KTM takes one step forward and one big step backwards. At this time they could be making a real stance at being the top bike in the US, but they are trying to shove that stupid 350 down our throats. They have a great 450, that would've been showcased in SX and MX by Short. I gurantee he'd have pulled a couple of holeshots on a 450 and possibly gotten on the box a time or two. But NOOOO, we reinvented the wheel with a 350....just like the single side shock design.

KTM...swallow your pride, admit you were wrong and drop that stupid 350! You don't have to build a new mousetrap. Just keep building one as good or a little better than you competition.
jamma10
7/13/2011 5:41am
Madmax31 wrote:
KTM takes one step forward and one big step backwards. At this time they could be making a real stance at being the top bike in...
KTM takes one step forward and one big step backwards. At this time they could be making a real stance at being the top bike in the US, but they are trying to shove that stupid 350 down our throats. They have a great 450, that would've been showcased in SX and MX by Short. I gurantee he'd have pulled a couple of holeshots on a 450 and possibly gotten on the box a time or two. But NOOOO, we reinvented the wheel with a 350....just like the single side shock design.

KTM...swallow your pride, admit you were wrong and drop that stupid 350! You don't have to build a new mousetrap. Just keep building one as good or a little better than you competition.
'they are trying to shove that stupid 350 down our throats'

But are they REALLY?

Its funny to watch you some of you Americans get so irate about the 350. What's the big deal, its just a friggin bike that you may or may not wish to buy. After testing the bike Short didn't have to sign with KTM, but he did, so he's playing his own part in the big 'propaganda machine' that you so obviously take so personally. If you want someone to blame for Shorts lack of podiums/holeshots (against a more competitive field) blame the other manufacturers for not signing him up instead.
RickLeY
Fantasy
2738th
7/13/2011 5:51am
I get how the workz 350 that cairoli rides in europe is flying, even on deep sand tracks as lommel/walken but a 350 under the AMA "production" rule, will struggle in the loamy tacky dirt of most US tracks along with more speed and jumps. But with the right rider and a year under it's belt... Short is doing decent, not to bash him but cairoli and RD would straight up beat him on any given day.

[/rant] ..Almost -

if a 450 makes the "jump" then i guess this would symbolize the 350:
Faceaz
7/13/2011 6:39am
Madmax31 wrote:
KTM takes one step forward and one big step backwards. At this time they could be making a real stance at being the top bike in...

jamma10 wrote:
'they are trying to shove that stupid 350 down our throats' But are they REALLY? Its funny to watch you some of you Americans get so...

But are they REALLY?

Its funny to watch you some of you Americans get so irate about the 350. What's the big deal, its just a friggin bike that you may or may not wish to buy. After testing the bike Short didn't have to sign with KTM, but he did, so he's playing his own part in the big 'propaganda machine' that you so obviously take so personally. If you want someone to blame for Shorts lack of podiums/holeshots (against a more competitive field) blame the other manufacturers for not signing him up instead.
Exactly.

How could you complain about having more options when going to buy a bike. At least KTM is still developing, where other brands are pretty stagnet. So much hate towards having more options only means one thing to me, there's a whole lot of stupid people out there.
7/13/2011 9:02am
Beirer said in Teutschenthal at the GP there are only 5 guys of interest and with 2 of them is KTM talking.
He said KTM talks with Bubba and Dungey.

He also said the major goal is to take SX and national title
Skinnly
7/13/2011 9:07am
Those stupid americans you speak of are very much in the minority.KTM has a hit with the 350 ,i see them everywhere.Very popular so pro results dont transfer to sales ,much
Sondy132001
7/13/2011 9:14am
Ddavis wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
" . . . if he is healthy and has his head on straight . . ." That might be the biggest "if" in the history...
" . . . if he is healthy and has his head on straight . . ."

That might be the biggest "if" in the history of the internets. At some point people stop gambling on potential.
I agree and on the plus side he has Johnny Louch on his side training him, Johnny can do wonders for a rider.

S
Faceaz
7/13/2011 12:38pm
Skinnly wrote:
Those stupid americans you speak of are very much in the minority.KTM has a hit with the 350 ,i see them everywhere.Very popular so pro results...
Those stupid americans you speak of are very much in the minority.KTM has a hit with the 350 ,i see them everywhere.Very popular so pro results dont transfer to sales ,much
That would be great. If you're right, then most of them are on this board.
IWreckALot
7/13/2011 12:38pm
ST Anmore wrote:
Can't see Cairoli going over full time, but wouldn't suprise me if Desalle was signed!

Didn't Desalle hang with Dungey late into a few races last year? Seems like if they worked with him a bit on endurance he would be able to contend.

Wherever Dungey ends up, I'll still be a fan but I personally want to see him hang with Suzuki. One of my favorite parts about Windham is that he's been loyal to Honda. I like seeing loyalty to one brand. It's rare. I guess by going to KTM with Decoster, he would still have the loyalty factor.
Switch
7/13/2011 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2011 2:54pm
ST Anmore wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
Didn't Desalle hang with Dungey late into a few races last year? Seems like if they worked with him a bit on endurance he would be...
Didn't Desalle hang with Dungey late into a few races last year? Seems like if they worked with him a bit on endurance he would be able to contend.

Wherever Dungey ends up, I'll still be a fan but I personally want to see him hang with Suzuki. One of my favorite parts about Windham is that he's been loyal to Honda. I like seeing loyalty to one brand. It's rare. I guess by going to KTM with Decoster, he would still have the loyalty factor.
Did you miss those years KW spent on a Factory RM250? If im not mistaken, that was right before his "hiatus". That absense was ended when he stepped into the 4stroke world and came back racing on a Honda 450
Switch
7/13/2011 2:56pm
Madmax31 wrote:

jamma10 wrote:
'they are trying to shove that stupid 350 down our throats' But are they REALLY? Its funny to watch you some of you Americans get so...

But are they REALLY?

Faceaz wrote:
Exactly. How could you complain about having more options when going to buy a bike. At least KTM is still developing, where other brands are pretty...
Exactly.

How could you complain about having more options when going to buy a bike. At least KTM is still developing, where other brands are pretty stagnet. So much hate towards having more options only means one thing to me, there's a whole lot of stupid people out there.
And dont forget Sellards riding a 200 two stroke in the 250 two stroke class a decade or so ago. KTM is obviously known for thinking outside of the box with the "less is more" focus sometimes. No matter their strategy, I have 2 in the garage right now so something works.

Post a reply to: KTM plan B

The Latest