I bet Ralph

Moto331
Doesn't even watch the nationals every summer. To be so balls deep in supercross announcing (as his job I know) I would bet everything that he never watches the races. (Shake head) God how is that even friggon possible. I picture him putting on a college basketball game over Glen Helen on a Saturday afternoon... Jesus
|
hillbilly
2/19/2017 12:47pm
The guy works so many series i doubt he has a chance.

I dont see how he does it, this dont mean i like the guy but he busts ass for sure.
philG
2/19/2017 12:50pm
I guess you dont follow him on twitter... proper motorhead.. Sprint cars and all sorts .. anything wheel, he is there.

But hey, whatever.

The Shop

greenmx5
2/19/2017 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 1:00pm
I don't understand the hate on Ralph. Some think he just does just Supercross, but he does pretty much everything motorsports. I would bet a paycheck he watches the outdoors. Maybe he's just that good at his job that he's so "ball's deep" in what he's doing. If it's your job, you get paid to be "balls deep."
2/19/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 1:02pm
I mean the guy announced the nationals for a year or two there I think. I'm sure he follows it, maybe doesn't catch every race live but who does. Even if he didn't watch it, why does he need to? They've obviously been instructed to not mention it, ever.
TXDirt
2/19/2017 1:13pm
I think he does a good enough job. His announcing doesn't make me want to stop watching. And we could certainly have a worse announcer. I think I'm ready to move on from both Emig and Carmichael. Let's get some fresh blood in the booth.
mx836
2/19/2017 1:23pm
No slam against any of these guys, but it seems a lot of the commentators / announcers in this sport are not the greatest at their job. Lots of mistakes from Holley, Lurch, and Ralph every week. They honestly just seem flustered, because I know that they know better.
DFWracefan
2/19/2017 1:33pm
Have you ever talked into an open mic while the production staff are throwing out all sorts of info into your headset?
wreckitrandy
2/19/2017 2:07pm
So those that can't do, teach. Say, Aldon for example. Those that have done it at the highest level, announce. Emig, RC and, Bailey... Some people love it and work REALLY hard to make a living at it. For example, Gibby, Matthes, DC,,, lots of others. Some, come at it kinda sideways. They land a spot from an unrelated angle. These might include Ralph, Monster girls, Miss Taft. Their talents aren't moto but, they have enough of it to score a gig. There may be a very few that are just lucky. All the rest of us come to vital to complain. A man has to do what he's good at.
trevor310mx
Fantasy
3280th
2/19/2017 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 3:06pm
I don't turn on my TV to listen to what Emig, Carmichael, Taft, Ralph or anyone has to say, and that's not a dig at any of those guys. I watch because I love racing. Of course they all, at some say something stupid, but I'm just glad every time I say something stupid it isn't in front of a TV audience or I'd be getting blasted too. They do a fine job. If I ever to turn my TV off during a race, it's because of the racing itself, not the commentating.
AzTrooper
2/19/2017 3:06pm
Its got to be tough to commentate live. More so for Ralph than Jeff merely because of Jeff's top level racing back ground. When I watch the races and hear errors etc. I try to think about how hard it must be to try to keep an eye on the whole track and still know what is going on in every part of the track and who was or is involved in it and be able to comment on it in a split second accurately and intelligently. I know for a fact that I would be worse than terrible at it.To me it would be a lot like being a disk jockey what with having to be able to be interesting and improvise dialogue and such. Larry Huffman was excellent at it, and he really got into it thats for sure. Then again it was his life and he made a career of announcing at motorcycle races of all kinds all over the country for decades.
John
2/19/2017 3:24pm
So those that can't do, teach. Say, Aldon for example. Those that have done it at the highest level, announce. Emig, RC and, Bailey... Some people...
So those that can't do, teach. Say, Aldon for example. Those that have done it at the highest level, announce. Emig, RC and, Bailey... Some people love it and work REALLY hard to make a living at it. For example, Gibby, Matthes, DC,,, lots of others. Some, come at it kinda sideways. They land a spot from an unrelated angle. These might include Ralph, Monster girls, Miss Taft. Their talents aren't moto but, they have enough of it to score a gig. There may be a very few that are just lucky. All the rest of us come to vital to complain. A man has to do what he's good at.
Ralph got his start announcing motocross at the local level and busted his ass to get where he is. Comparing him to Monster girls is weak sauce.
RD757
2/19/2017 3:54pm
Jeff makes Ralph look bad. Go back to last nights broadcast and focus on Jeff's responses to topics and questions Ralph brings up. It's ridiculous how off topic and how little information or personal experience he brings to the show.
mx836
2/19/2017 4:00pm
DFWracefan wrote:
Have you ever talked into an open mic while the production staff are throwing out all sorts of info into your headset?
Like I said, no slam on them. I don't see that many mistakes from other commentators, but I don't know other sports as well.
hvaughn88
2/19/2017 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 4:30pm
I bet Ralph knows more about motorsports than a lot of the jaggoffs on here.
JRT812
2/19/2017 4:57pm
I feel like there are bigger things to worry about with our sport than the occasional mistake from Ralph and the boys.
jk367
2/19/2017 5:49pm
I think Ralph is great. I like the pair. All smiles from me as long as they keep showing the lcq's
greenmx5
2/19/2017 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 6:54pm
I've done color commentary for radio for high school football games. It's 3 hours of making sure the listeners have something to hear. You're gonna screw up at least once in those 3 hours. Sit at home some night with the TV muted and try talking through the whole race.
Monte122
2/19/2017 6:58pm
Like someone we know would say, he's a cool cat!
Rexblaster
2/19/2017 7:01pm
It's just the weight of announcing when you know that a ton of people are listening. Like last year when emig said that the shifter was on the right side of the bike or whatever... I don't think he actually thought that lol. Not saying I don't want it to be better, just saying that they do a hell of a job for the pressure that they're under.
wreckitrandy
2/19/2017 7:51pm
So those that can't do, teach. Say, Aldon for example. Those that have done it at the highest level, announce. Emig, RC and, Bailey... Some people...
Ralph got his start announcing motocross at the local level and busted his ass to get where he is. Comparing him to Monster girls is weak...
Ralph got his start announcing motocross at the local level and busted his ass to get where he is. Comparing him to Monster girls is weak sauce.
I stand corrected. However, one presumes a great deal to devalue the effort the Monster girls put into their anatomy.
Skidaddle
2/19/2017 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2017 8:13pm
Matthes had him on once. Good listen. While Vital is bitching, Ralphs partying.
You guys should read his bio on Fox. Dude has done alot, of everything.
Including 2nd in a Baja Truck.

MX45
2/19/2017 9:58pm
Moto331 wrote:
Doesn't even watch the nationals every summer. To be so balls deep in supercross announcing (as his job I know) I would bet everything that he...
Doesn't even watch the nationals every summer. To be so balls deep in supercross announcing (as his job I know) I would bet everything that he never watches the races. (Shake head) God how is that even friggon possible. I picture him putting on a college basketball game over Glen Helen on a Saturday afternoon... Jesus
You are seriously hating on a guy based on an assumption you just made up?
I bet you ride quads.
This should go straight to the dumbgeon.
#fakenews
2/19/2017 10:00pm
Ralph's job is to commentate to your average person that probably doesn't follow the sport like every single person here does. So when he puts something out there that to us makes him seem totally clueless what he is really doing is setting emig up for a solid answer. He doesn't have to spew moto knowledge cause that is what Jeff is there for. I think they do good considering they're probably announcing out of a production trailer out the back of the stadium. The interview he did on pulp was solid to boot. Bro knows his stuff
2/20/2017 3:24am
Ralph probably isn't watch college basketball instead of Glen Helen as suggested in the first post of this thread because that wouldn't be too easy scone college basketball is well out of the way by May.
agn5009
2/20/2017 5:31am
Ralph does a good job and loves all motorsports. I guarantee he knows more about the sport than you. He's got a job almost every single one of us would love to have, so I guess I understand the jealousy.

Post a reply to: I bet Ralph

The Latest