Hatedman, In case you didn't know....

teggers
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:20pm
First off, thanks to all of you that knew this news and remained silent until the family had time to adjust.

Most of you know Hatedman on this board as Lou Banka, the former owner of Bithlo MX, and friend to many of us here. Lou is friends with and/or helped develop many of the careers of top MX stars that ride today by scheduling extra track time and private riding sessions. He is the guy that always held the gate open late at night so you could get parked after a long drive; the guy that gave my stepson a trophy for finishing 1 lap of his first race; the guy that poured his heart and soul into the track; the guy that let us ride for free from time to time….GOOD GUY

Unfortunately, Lou suffered a massive stroke approximately 3 weeks ago and has been in the hospital and 24 hr. care facility since then. The outlook of his final condition is not very positive and hopefully all of you reading this will send a prayer (or several) to Lou and his family. Maybe one of them will get through and a true miracle can be achieved.

His family is having a hard time of it right now. Lou has three daughters and a wife whom all worked the track every week. Needless to say, their world has changed radically and your prayers are desperately needed.

There are people on this board that have more intimate knowledge about the whole situation and I hope will provide more complete details. I hate posting something like this, but it has been OK'd by those close to him that this news become public knowledge.

Please let Debbie and the kids know they and Lou are in your prayers…they are in mine.

Tim Eggers
|
Cygnus
10/11/2009 7:23pm
Wow I had no idea. Prayer sent.
teggers
10/11/2009 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:41am
...at 42 secs

ProMed
10/11/2009 7:28pm
My thoughts and prayers go out to Lou and his entire family.

The Shop

500guy
10/11/2009 7:33pm
Terrible news , positive thoughts and prayers to Lou and his family.
drmarkr
10/11/2009 7:51pm
Damn sorry to hear this Tim. The best of luck as they sort things out for him...
wet paint
10/11/2009 10:35pm
The older we get the more we realize how much people like him do for us and the sport,,,prayers sent.
rocrac
10/12/2009 3:47am
Prayers sent.
flarider
10/12/2009 4:56am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:42am
This was why RC16 came to mind and the discussion at dinner came up with a friend, which led to my looking into the status of the case and posting it.

Hoppy told me a couple weeks back

Get well Lou
ACMYERS
10/12/2009 5:11am
We all have our own Lou's at our own local tracks ( at least I hope you are fortunate enough to have a Lou). One of those familys that live and breath the sport and give till it hurts. Best of luck to the family in these tough times. Thoughts and prayers for Lou and his family.
FLvet
10/12/2009 5:20am
Best of luck to Lou and his family. Stroke recovery is a long and difficult process. I know as my dad suffered one ten years ago.
Steve47
10/12/2009 6:05am
Wow this sucks big time!

Wish the best to the entire Banka family. They are good people, Lou and his wife have always been very nice to us. We even had the chance to ride at their house.

10/12/2009 6:05am
Best Of Luck To Them !!! Sometimes things just are not Fair Sad
Highsider
10/12/2009 6:37am
Somebody who knows him can tell me, but he surely can't be all that old, either.

I wish him the best.
P
10/12/2009 6:54am
That's a tough deal and I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.

P
10/12/2009 7:14am
Highsider wrote:
Somebody who knows him can tell me, but he surely can't be all that old, either.

I wish him the best.
Lou is 48 years old.

He can move his left arm and leg. He understands what is going on, but cant speak. He can now hold his head up. Every now and then he will smile. He is very weak. Half of his scull was removed when they performed the surgery to stop the bleeding which is what caused the stroke. While his condition is not good by previous standards, there has been improvement in the last month. The degree of recovery is not known and is simply in God's hands.

Debbie is very optimistic. If you know Debbie that's not surprising. Lou has health insurance but did not have a disability policy, so the income has stopped.

I know she is looking for and needs a job bad. If anyone in the Central Florida area needs help doing anything, please think of her when you go to hire somebody.

flarider
10/12/2009 10:53am
Please keep us updated if you can, please
and when you speak to him or the family, send my (our) good wishes
ProMed
10/12/2009 11:39am
Highsider wrote:

I wish him the best.
Lou is 48 years old. He can move his left arm and leg. He understands what is going on, but cant speak. He can now hold...
Lou is 48 years old.

He can move his left arm and leg. He understands what is going on, but cant speak. He can now hold his head up. Every now and then he will smile. He is very weak. Half of his scull was removed when they performed the surgery to stop the bleeding which is what caused the stroke. While his condition is not good by previous standards, there has been improvement in the last month. The degree of recovery is not known and is simply in God's hands.

Debbie is very optimistic. If you know Debbie that's not surprising. Lou has health insurance but did not have a disability policy, so the income has stopped.

I know she is looking for and needs a job bad. If anyone in the Central Florida area needs help doing anything, please think of her when you go to hire somebody.

bump
hrc1
10/12/2009 11:40am
I was told a couple days ago he was moved from the hospital to another facility. Is that too start therapy or is he not ready for that yet?
10/12/2009 12:45pm
hrc1 wrote:
I was told a couple days ago he was moved from the hospital to another facility. Is that too start therapy or is he not ready...
I was told a couple days ago he was moved from the hospital to another facility. Is that too start therapy or is he not ready for that yet?
He is at Manor Care (re-hab / nursing home) right behind Winter Park Hospital. They are doing minor therapy. His right side is not good. He is very weak. If you see him before therapy he is a lot more alert. After therapy, he is just flat wore out.

I think Debbie said after he gets a stronger, they will move him to another facility that is more therapy oriented. Right now he can't do much, I think an hour or so a day.
teggers
10/12/2009 8:13pm
He is at Manor Care (re-hab / nursing home) right behind Winter Park Hospital. They are doing minor therapy. His right side is not good. He...
He is at Manor Care (re-hab / nursing home) right behind Winter Park Hospital. They are doing minor therapy. His right side is not good. He is very weak. If you see him before therapy he is a lot more alert. After therapy, he is just flat wore out.

I think Debbie said after he gets a stronger, they will move him to another facility that is more therapy oriented. Right now he can't do much, I think an hour or so a day.
Are you saying he can/should have visitors or should people wait.
ASH510
10/12/2009 8:28pm
i will pray for LOU and family
get well soon moto brother
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
10/12/2009 8:42pm
Oh man this is so unfair. Lou has always been good to us when we were in Orlando. I have had the pleasure of riding and racing with him for many years. We have also done some riding schools together and I actually landed on him on a triple many years ago. Sorry about that again Lou. He and his family are what you would dream an owner of a track to be. Our family is keeping you in our thoughts.
10/12/2009 9:27pm
Man, my heart dropped after I just read this news. I wish him and his family all the hope and prayers I have. Lou is a great guy, and in the few years I've know him he always supported the sport with absolute professionalism and personally helped my racing immensely. He even employed me while I went to college. He's a awesome guy and Its a shame something like this had to happen to him. Good luck to you Lou, and to you're family.
BUTCH
10/13/2009 12:03am
Get well soon and best wishes to Lou and his family!
MX45
10/13/2009 12:33am
Sad news. Lou is a great guy and he did alot of everyone. He helped me and my family when we needed it most. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.
RNagy052
10/13/2009 3:46am
Very sad news, hope everything goes well with the recovery process. Prayers sent.
10/13/2009 8:23am
He is at Manor Care (re-hab / nursing home) right behind Winter Park Hospital. They are doing minor therapy. His right side is not good. He...

teggers wrote:
Are you saying he can/should have visitors or should people wait.
He can have visitors. I try and stop by every day for a few minutes. Debbie brought Spokes (Lou's dog )up there the other day and she said he kept petting him and it seemed to spark him up a little.
I personally think new faces are good. He seems to try harder to show "new " people how much he can move his arm, leg, etc.

If he is not in the room ( 248 second floor ), he is down the hall in re-hab. You can go in there as well and cheer him on. Be prepared as he does not look like the same Lou most of you remember.
Cygnus
10/13/2009 8:26am
Someone should set up a paypal so we can help out Lou and his family.

Post a reply to: Hatedman, In case you didn't know....

The Latest