Garage/Shop Setup

Related:
Create New Tag

10/14/2018 9:55 PM

I looked at a few of the other threads about this subject, but unfortunately none of the pictures would load.

So anyways, getting ready to buy our first house and want to see how you guys have your garage set up, specifically 2 car garages. I have a view of how I would like mine to be, but would like to see what you guys have done. Thanks in advance!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/14/2018 10:04 PM

Photo kind of old pic but its too messy right now to take a picture lol.
|

10/14/2018 10:10 PM

dirtmike86 wrote: Photo kind of old pic but its too messy right now to take a picture lol.

Haha thanks man! That’s a pretty cool setup. I gotta make sure I get cabinets.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

10/14/2018 10:14 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I'm sure some people will chime in with legit clean workshops but i dont have that kind of cash. Cabinets are pricey. I got all those from a cabinet shop by my old job for free. Ive only lived here going on a year now, so my next plan is to get rid of the redish purple floor.

|

10/14/2018 10:26 PM

dirtmike86 wrote: Photo kind of old pic but its too messy right now to take a picture lol.

mattyhamz2 wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:

I'm sure some people will chime in with legit clean workshops but i dont have that kind of cash. Cabinets are pricey. I got all those from a cabinet shop by my old job for free. Ive only lived here going on a year now, so my next plan is to get rid of the redish purple floor.

I’m dreading those posts with legit workshops. I don’t have that kind of money laughing We’re just a young, blue collar family of 4 haha.

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

10/14/2018 10:28 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

I’m dreading those posts with legit workshops. I don’t have that kind of money laughing We’re just a young, blue collar family of 4 haha.

Right there with ya man.

|

10/14/2018 10:46 PM

They say look for cabinets on craigslist. Or find people who are remodeling their kitchen. They tend to just toss the old cabinets.

I'll take a picture of my two car garage in the morning.

|

10/14/2018 11:12 PM

Ill try to remember to snap some pics when I get home but its all about organization. I have a 2 1/2 car garage with a fridge, stand up freezer, chest freezer, golf cart, utility quad, and 3 bikes. it can get crazy in there but for the most part if I keep it organized its not bad. Lots of shelving units and misc cabinets ive bought used over the years. best tip ive had from previous threads here is to beef up some furniture dollies put your stands on them and that makes for some slick storage and ability to move bikes around when I need to get to stuff. We are getting ready to build a new house so the shop size will go up compared to now but for now I just have to keep it clean and organized.

|

Full time heavy equipment mechanic/ Part time motorcycle mechanic!

10/15/2018 5:44 AM

You don't have to break the bank. Blue collar family of 4 here also. I look for bargains and I do all my own work. My wife and I put up our barn/shop about 2 years ago. Consider it an investment. The value of your place will go up with this kind of improvement. We have a little over $20K into it. It added $50K to the value of our property.Photo
Photo Photo

|

10/15/2018 6:27 AM

Sweet!

|

10/15/2018 6:41 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

dirtmike86 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Best thing I’ve seen is old school real wood doors that are being tossed. Sand em down throw a good coating on them and you can make a legit work bench for next to nothing. Seen a lot of DIY designs on google that incorporate shelves. I’m building a garage in spring for my house I just finished building so I’m collecting some stuff now to for it.

|

10/15/2018 6:46 AM

ama530 wrote:

You don't have to break the bank. Blue collar family of 4 here also. I look for bargains and I do all my own work. My wife and I put up our barn/shop about 2 years ago. Consider it an investment. The value of your place will go up with this kind of improvement. We have a little over $20K into it. It added $50K to the value of our property.Photo
Photo Photo

Very nice! What is the footprint and what is the upstairs like?

|

10/15/2018 8:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 8:06 AM

25' wide x 20' deep. Then there is a 6' overhang on the right. 9' ceilings so I could go with an 8'x9' garage door. Here is a pic of the upstairs. We finished it off nice and it will be my Lionel train layout. (That is going to take a while!) Photo

|

10/15/2018 8:23 AM

Those knee walls (upstairs) offer some interesting shelf/storage possibilites but they look good finished off too.

|

10/15/2018 8:26 AM

Behind the kneewalls is storage. I have 3 access doors on each side. Works out really nice!

|

10/15/2018 8:31 AM

I don't have a whole pic to contribute, but i do have some tips i guess.

My dad owns a retail maintenance company along with a cabinet installation part in it. Some of the houses his workers do are very upscale houses with ocean front property, He has brought home some beautiful cabinets that we have used in the shop in town.

For our own garage his retail side scored some nice industrial shelving from a nike outlet that was being thrown away, I can try to snap some pics soon (It's not very organized at the moment but you'll get an idea).

I also built this workbench for around $80, it's about 8 feet in length. There's also a mini fridge on the bottom shelf as well. Photo

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

10/15/2018 8:33 AM

Everyone keep the pics coming as well! Always nice to steal some ideas, Congrats on the house purchase!

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

10/15/2018 8:45 AM

We've got a two car garage with one side that sticks out 10 feet longer. This is where I do most of my work.

Photo

|

10/15/2018 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2018 8:46 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

Everyone keep the pics coming as well! Always nice to steal some ideas, Congrats on the house purchase!

Agreed. Keep em comin' boys!

And thanks man!

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

10/15/2018 9:13 AM

Photo
Photo
|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

10/15/2018 9:16 AM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

10/15/2018 9:19 AM

MxKing809 wrote: Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Awesome setup Grant!

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

10/15/2018 9:40 AM

Photo
|

Do It In The Dirt!

10/15/2018 10:16 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Agreed. Keep em comin' boys!

And thanks man!

Guess i wasn't really clear about cabinets and shelving in my first post, but if you have a mall/outlet mall near you that you go by or visit from time to time definitely stop in and look by the back of stores, most of the time if you go in and ask someone that manages the store they'll let you have it cause it's just gonna get junked anyway.

|

10/15/2018 10:49 AM

Workbench thread

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Garage-workbenches,1328644

Garage thread

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Spoke-with-my-tools,1297353?exclusive_forum_user=false&page=1

My original Bat Cave, a 5' 5" wide store room on the back of my original 2 car garage. Work bench, parts washer and small tool chest on one end and prior to shelves and the wife's Christmas decorations there was a bike stand in that slot. It was tight but I built many bikes, engines and suspension components in there over the years.

Photo

Photo

|

10/15/2018 11:47 AM

Paint it Kawasaki lime green! :-)

Photo

|

10/15/2018 11:50 AM

KDXGarage wrote:

Paint it Kawasaki lime green! :-)

Photo

Sorry bro, only one Kawi going in the garage lol. But there will be 5 Yamaha's going into it!

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

10/15/2018 12:53 PM

I don't have a bike only garage/work shop area. Just a multi use 30 x 30 pole barn. I won't bore everyone with pictures because it's nothing special. But, I do use and highly recommend using horse stall mats to put the bikes on while on the stand. These things are incredibly tough and durable. And provide a decent bit of cushion when working on bikes. Photo

Okay, I lied. I did find one picture that gives you an idea of what they look like. Any farm supply store should have them.

|

10/15/2018 12:58 PM

MudPup545 wrote:

I don't have a bike only garage/work shop area. Just a multi use 30 x 30 pole barn. I won't bore everyone with pictures because it's nothing special. But, I do use and highly recommend using horse stall mats to put the bikes on while on the stand. These things are incredibly tough and durable. And provide a decent bit of cushion when working on bikes. Photo

Okay, I lied. I did find one picture that gives you an idea of what they look like. Any farm supply store should have them.

How much are they? I was looking for mats last night and they are so expensive!

|

2017 RMZ450
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

10/15/2018 1:09 PM

MudPup545 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:

How much are they? I was looking for mats last night and they are so expensive!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/stall%20mat
I'm sure you can shop around and find them cheaper. I got mine on sale for less than $30.00.

|