Fuel Vent Caps

dnel
Posts
6
Joined
12/13/2019
Location
Bellefonte, PA, USA
Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 3:15pm
All, are fuel vent caps (IE works connection) a waste or do they have a performance purpose?
3
|
12/16/2019 9:07pm
Adds 10 hp minimum
2
12/16/2019 9:10pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Adds 10 hp minimum
No, no you are thinking of blacking out a bike. Fuel vent hoses add 12hp.
2
12/16/2019 9:44pm
dnel wrote:
All, are fuel vent caps (IE works connection) a waste or do they have a performance purpose?
No bueno
bents
Posts
3428
Joined
12/31/2009
Location
CA
Fantasy
12/17/2019 7:11am
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please explain. Because I have one on my bike!

The Shop

mxb2
Posts
22437
Joined
6/15/2010
Location
Bowie, MD, USA
12/17/2019 7:13am
bents wrote:
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please...
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please explain. Because I have one on my bike!
I have heard the same, i wont chance it. Plus i think it looks ugly anyway. Lol.
1
1
Zeke27G
Posts
1410
Joined
11/8/2011
Location
Ascot Park, CA, USA
12/17/2019 7:35am

Those little short hoses with the anodized billet caps are fugly in my opinion. Been using these "Free Flo" No Slop Swivel Hoses for years now with great results. They allow for you to twist your cap on and off without the hose flipping all around, they have a built in check valve and they come in an assortment of colors. Not sure on how the colors withstand the sun as I typically go with black/black.

8
GripNRip617
Posts
198
Joined
3/13/2018
Location
Austin, TX, USA
12/17/2019 7:47am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 7:48am
Go to your nearest auto parts store pick up a piece of fuel hose and stick that sucker on. Same performance for half the price!
1
kb228
Posts
6153
Joined
1/31/2018
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
12/17/2019 8:51am
dnel wrote:
All, are fuel vent caps (IE works connection) a waste or do they have a performance purpose?
All they are is check valves so when you fall fuel doesnt leak out. No performance advantages other than that.
Bruce372
Posts
6329
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
12/17/2019 11:31am
bents wrote:
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please...
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please explain. Because I have one on my bike!
mxb2 wrote:
I have heard the same, i wont chance it. Plus i think it looks ugly anyway. Lol.
The ethanol in fuel corrodes them, so they freeze up and cause vapor lock.

It happened to me, I spent weeks trying to reject a bike that would bog and run funny.

One day in the garage, I turned on the gas and the fuel pipe started guggling and I pulled the vent off and it was fine and problem solved
12/17/2019 12:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2019 12:15pm
bents wrote:
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please...
Legit question-some on here have stated that the short fuel vent caps have caused vapour lock? I'll confess to being ignorant on how this could happen-please explain. Because I have one on my bike!
Here’s what I know...
Mike Gosselaar told me that they have caused problems with carbureted bikes, not sure about FI being affected in the same way or not, because they have fuel pressurized systems.
(He took one I had on my kids bike and tossed it in the trash can, up in Mammoth back in ‘07, when our fuel was boiling)

But with a carb-
Say your gas tank was full and you had one of these dumb little colored gas hose check valves on your bike... you compress your body weight and seat bounce a jump, the check valve in that little doo-hickey, won’t let gas escape. So the pressure you put on the gas tank with your body weight, can and HAS made more fuel forced into the carb, causing the BOG you speak of.
2
1
12/17/2019 12:59pm
I have run them for years and never had a problem. But have heard of they same thing, BOG. Maybe its time to change back to stock Yamaha vent hose. Thanks Langhammx.
2
12/17/2019 1:33pm
I have run them for years and never had a problem. But have heard of they same thing, BOG. Maybe its time to change back to...
I have run them for years and never had a problem. But have heard of they same thing, BOG. Maybe its time to change back to stock Yamaha vent hose. Thanks Langhammx.
You don’t jump, so there’s that..... Tongue
BroFoSho
Posts
739
Joined
9/26/2013
Location
Tucson, AZ, USA
12/17/2019 1:37pm
Langhammx wrote:
Here’s what I know... Mike Gosselaar told me that they have caused problems with carbureted bikes, not sure about FI being affected in the same way...
Here’s what I know...
Mike Gosselaar told me that they have caused problems with carbureted bikes, not sure about FI being affected in the same way or not, because they have fuel pressurized systems.
(He took one I had on my kids bike and tossed it in the trash can, up in Mammoth back in ‘07, when our fuel was boiling)

But with a carb-
Say your gas tank was full and you had one of these dumb little colored gas hose check valves on your bike... you compress your body weight and seat bounce a jump, the check valve in that little doo-hickey, won’t let gas escape. So the pressure you put on the gas tank with your body weight, can and HAS made more fuel forced into the carb, causing the BOG you speak of.
Never thought about that, but it makes logical sense.

In practice, if that actually happens I would say you are either 400lbs or your carb settings are WAY OFF to begin with?
Mr. Info
Posts
1671
Joined
5/3/2010
Location
Perris, CA, USA
12/17/2019 2:14pm
Also to help with vapor lock on hot days or when fuel gets low.
12/17/2019 3:02pm
Well if the little end piece does In fact have a check valve then I suppose it could happen. I’ve had a bad gas cap on a brand new bike in the past. Like the Flo hose.

Ghost
nascarnate326
Posts
3008
Joined
11/3/2014
Location
Charlotte, MI, USA
12/17/2019 3:15pm
Ive used stock shit for 20 years and never had a problem.
2

Post a reply to: Fuel Vent Caps

The Latest