Front disk guards??

Related:
Create New Tag

7/12/2021 7:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2021 7:59 PM

I race motocross and I often see people on tv and at the track with front disk guards on their bikes, I understand the use for them on trail bikes but in motocross is it really worth it to get one? And is brake fade really that noticeable when using one?

|

7/12/2021 8:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/12/2021 8:47 PM

If you’re racing, they’re worth it. You wad up with another bike and bend the rotor, no more front brake. If you’re just riding practice days I wouldn’t worry about it. Never noticed a difference in performance either, but I’m no pro

|

7/13/2021 7:07 AM

motoXracer971 wrote:

If you’re racing, they’re worth it. You wad up with another bike and bend the rotor, no more front brake. If you’re just ...more

Agree. Only thing I would say is that I found on some bikes the front brake would fade on some tracks so bleeding the brake became more frequent.

|

7/13/2021 7:13 AM

I don't run one and have been pretty lucky not getting tangled up with another rider while racing. If I find a sick carbon one It may find its way on my scooter!

|

7/13/2021 7:29 AM

I run one when I race only. Years back I ran a great first moto and was set up to have my best result yet. Second moto caught up with another bike on the first corner. Bent the rotor and had no front brake the whole race. So frustrating.

|

7/13/2021 7:58 AM

Just a question... I've been racing since 1974, and still ride/race 55+ class. I understand how a plastic guard can protect against gouges and dings, but a bent rotor? Not so much...

|

7/13/2021 8:59 AM

Robbirob25 wrote:

Just a question... I've been racing since 1974, and still ride/race 55+ class. I understand how a plastic guard can protect ...more

Floating rotors don't take much side to side force to get out of whack. It's not a save all thing but it's something.

|

7/13/2021 9:12 AM

Its amazing how a little bit of plastic can spread out the force of an impact. They work in MOST cases , on preventing a damaged rotor.

|

7/13/2021 10:29 AM

Seems like weird things always happen when racing, and the faster you get, the weirder they get.

|

7/13/2021 12:13 PM

mirramaxx wrote:

I don't run one and have been pretty lucky not getting tangled up with another rider while racing. If I find a sick carbon one ...more

I can make you a nice carbon guard.

|