Fox Raceway AM track...

Related:
Create New Tag

7/5/2020 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/5/2020 8:43 PM

Hey Fox Raceway guys, are you going to re-open the amateur track sometime?

Riding the Vet track any day of the week is like being on the 91 at rush hour, and while the main track is ok, I don't like Cianciarulo, Webb, or McAdoo flying over my head on the giant step up,( happened last week).

nobody wants to get in a pro riders way like what happened to Jason Anderson at Glen Helen. But the Vet track is overcrowded and too basic for some guys, everyone from beginners to vet pros ride the vet all at once, and it can get hairy sometimes

I've talked to a lot of my fellow faster crusty old guy racers who would sure like another option, because we all love coming to Fox, you guys are second to none with track prep.

Thanks!

Re open the Fox Raceway Amateur track?

View Results

|

7/5/2020 9:24 PM

The amateur track has been a terrible layout, hard pack and covered with big rocks. If they had somebody smart enough to build something good it would be worth it otherwise its a waste of time.

|

7/5/2020 9:34 PM

Was at Pala Friday and it was insane. 3rd track is definitely needed at this moment in time.

Contrary to what oldmoto posted I have put in some good motos on the am track in the past and had some fun. I enjoyed the fact that there are three totally different tracks on the same piece of ground.

|

7/5/2020 9:39 PM

The amateur track was pretty good last year when they had the main closed and they paid more attention to grooming it, other than that I hated all the rocks but liked the layout.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

7/5/2020 9:55 PM

Brent wrote:

Riding the Vet track any day of the week is like being on the 91 at rush hour, and while the main track is ok, I don't like Cianciarulo, Webb, or McAdoo flying over my head on the giant step up,( happened last week).

nobody wants to get in a pro riders way like what happened to Jason Anderson at Glen Helen. But the Vet track is overcrowded and too basic for some guys, everyone from beginners to vet pros ride the vet all at once, and it can get hairy sometimes

I've talked to a lot of my fellow faster crusty old guy racers who would sure like another option, because we all love coming to Fox, you guys are second to none with track prep.

Thanks!

I'm sure they would want to open a third track again but it will need to be financially viable. I can't see any other reason than that.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

7/6/2020 12:45 AM

I pretty much scratched Pala off my riding list because the Main track is always a bit insano and the vet is super basic. Then you have the ignored Am track... which 9 out of 10 times is a bony mess.... and also is pretty tame from a difficulty standpoint.

If the Vet is going to stay as it is, sort of easy, which is nice for a ton of riders (my wife included) then maybe the Am should be an actual step up in difficulty.... and then you have the Main/Pro track.

If you are feeling good on the Vet then you are ready for the Am.
If you are feeling good on the Am then you can probably go start giving the Main a go.
A nice progressive system!

|

7/6/2020 7:22 AM

Anderson got hurt going around a downed rider who was hurt with medical staff on the track.

|

7/6/2020 8:33 AM

Am track when prepped was the best one they had

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

7/6/2020 8:38 AM

Hard pack and rocky WAS SoCal back in the day. I like the AM track.

|

7/6/2020 9:58 AM

I'm still (barely) fast enough to ride the Pro track, but I'd sure like a slightly easier option.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/6/2020 11:26 AM

Is it open to spectators now? ...and what is the spectator fee (don't see it on their site) to get in to watch riders on the weekend. Went cruising by there a couple weeks ago and thought it'd be fun to watch people ride for a bit.

|

Support those who protect us....our military, law enforcement and 1st responders.

7/6/2020 11:43 AM

Indian_Dunes_4ever wrote:

Is it open to spectators now? ...and what is the spectator fee (don't see it on their site) to get in to watch riders on the weekend. Went cruising by there a couple weeks ago and thought it'd be fun to watch people ride for a bit.

Spectators are free unless there is a race or special event.

|

7/6/2020 12:17 PM

I rode Fox Raceway (Pala) a couple weeks ago after being off for a knee replacement and I was shocked how many riders were on the Vet track. I miss the Amateur track. Yes it had a few rocks up by the hill but it was fun. It would be nice to spread out the riders a little more.

|

7/6/2020 1:32 PM

Brent wrote:

Thanks!

Hey we sponsor the track with MindFX and I agree 100% and will talk with mgnt as its needed + that AM track.should reopen hopefully this weekend

|

Kevin D McCarthy CEO MindFX Science Inc

7/6/2020 2:14 PM

Pretty doubtful they will do it anytime soon. They are hoping ProMotocross happens! They want at least one round, if not more, to be there on their Indian Res!

|

7/6/2020 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 4:22 PM

Boomslang wrote:

I'm sure they would want to open a third track again but it will need to be financially viable. I can't see any other reason than that.

...awhile back, Fox raceway annexed the amateur track onto the main track for the national, probably so they could have the second uphill. I know they were hoping to still hold a national but with everything happening now it looks unlikely this year.

As far as being financially feasable, the facility has over 400 paying riders on any given day , but unfortunately 390 of them are on the vet track at any given time, it is the busiest dirt bike facility in Southern California by a fair margin.

As I mentioned before, for faster non- pros the main track is not a viable option when 20 or so national caliber professionals and national champions are riding the Stopwatch nationals, but you have everything from beginner kids on 65's to Vet experts riding on the same 1 mile vet track.

I did a rough count last Friday and there were close to 50 riders of all skill levels on the vet at one time, that is not fun or safe for anyone.

|

7/6/2020 4:59 PM

My home track does 3 20 minute sessions

Fast
Slow/vet/chicks
Small bikes

It has its pros and cons

|

7/6/2020 6:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/6/2020 6:50 PM

I was there yesterday, and the vet track wasn't too bad, although there were some times when it got busy. Last time I was there, it was packed.

I would love to see a third track option.. the sheer amount of riders there calls for it, and like Alex.434 said, it would give a chance for guys and gals to improve and get to the main track with confidence.

|

7/7/2020 3:57 AM

For the first time in 15 years will we see segregated practices? And yes I mean by color (bike color)

|

7/7/2020 3:47 PM

Any of you going this Friday? I may go again and be amongst the 50 on the vet and watch the stopwatch nationals when taking a break from the heat.

|

7/7/2020 4:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/7/2020 5:02 PM

brocster wrote:

Any of you going this Friday? I may go again and be amongst the 50 on the vet and watch the stopwatch nationals when taking a break from the heat.

...early Sunday Morning for me.

No pros on the main track and Sunday turn out is light until about 11 am, but by that time I've done my motos and it's time to GTFO of there...

|

7/7/2020 7:11 PM

brocster wrote:

Brent wrote:

...early Sunday Morning for me.

No pros on the main track and Sunday turn out is light until about 11 am, but by that time I've done my motos and it's time to GTFO of there...

Solid chance I’ll be there early Sunday as well with my son.

If you see a couple 6’ 180# dudes making a bunch of noise on the vet track riding black and white 125’s, that would be us

|

7/8/2020 10:57 AM

brocster wrote:

Was at Pala Friday and it was insane. 3rd track is definitely needed at this moment in time.

Contrary to what oldmoto posted I have put in some good motos on the am track in the past and had some fun. I enjoyed the fact that there are three totally different tracks on the same piece of ground.

I'm one of those old guys......If they'd take some of us & let us help w/ the layout, prep it like
they do the main & not treat it like a borrowed step-child, I think it would be awesome....I've never
understood their logic to use 2/3rds of the property to build and maintain a track for 1/16th of the
riders.....

|

7/8/2020 12:34 PM

Pala management doesn't listen to their customers. I've personally tried to speak to them about dangerous conditions before. They get defensive and butt hurt. They say the standard things like "your the only one that has ever complained" or "Well (big name pro racer) said it was perfect". When they do something really bad or dangerous and someone posts a concern, so many of the people on these websites always defend them. "You should shut up and ride" or "its motocross don't be a pussy" or "thats my favorite jump". Then the logic of if you complain we won't have a track to ride on. The phony macho attitude is prevalent here. I live in San Diego and very often drive past Pala to go to Cahuilla, Glenn Helen or Perris. If I go to Pala I know what expect. Bad watering, crowded tracks and often very poorly thought out track design. Pala isn't the only track that does stupid things, but they have more issues g hzn the others.

|

7/8/2020 4:48 PM

I'd just like another option with fewer pros on it so I can learn the track before trying to go warp speed. (Warp 2, that is... the pros are going warp 7.)
When I jump on the main track, I feel like I either have to risk my life and start jumping everything right away, or risk my life getting landed on when I roll stuff for a lap or two.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/8/2020 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2020 6:21 PM

Falcon wrote:

I'd just like another option with fewer pros on it so I can learn the track before trying to go warp speed. (Warp 2, that is... the pros are going warp 7.)
When I jump on the main track, I feel like I either have to risk my life and start jumping everything right away, or risk my life getting landed on when I roll stuff for a lap or two.

...that is exactly my point. I rode the main track last week and almost got squished a couple times because I'm a vet and I don't feel comfortable jumping that giant uphill step up.

I don't belong on the main track when guys with world class speed are riding, but the vet track is too crowded and TBH way too easy for me, so Im stuck.

If everyone on the vet went the same speed it would be better, but I had to dodge a kid on a PW 50 that fell in between the jumps, why his parents let him go out there is beyond me.

Ive spoken to the track guys and they all say that people have been asking for the AM track to be re opened, but they are still holding out hope for the national this year, so who knows...

|

7/9/2020 8:00 AM

The main is usually ridiculous, the vet is usually lame. I wish they had a normal mx track that was prepped every open day not just the fri-sun like the AM was, If what they did with the AM was even usually considered prep.
I love Pala but wish they would build tracks like they did before thier shutdown. I'd ride it way more often if they did.

|

7/9/2020 8:03 AM

Falcon wrote:

Brent wrote:

...that is exactly my point. I rode the main track last week and almost got squished a couple times because I'm a vet and I don't feel comfortable jumping that giant uphill step up.

I don't belong on the main track when guys with world class speed are riding, but the vet track is too crowded and TBH way too easy for me, so Im stuck.

If everyone on the vet went the same speed it would be better, but I had to dodge a kid on a PW 50 that fell in between the jumps, why his parents let him go out there is beyond me.

Ive spoken to the track guys and they all say that people have been asking for the AM track to be re opened, but they are still holding out hope for the national this year, so who knows...

That uphill step-up looks like an awesome jump.....I wanna visit there just to hit that thing lol

Unfortunately I'm in norcal so a trip down there isnt in the cards till the bars are back open at the beach 😂😂

|

7/9/2020 8:49 AM

Hate to complain but I've been avoiding that place, used to go all the time. It's only fun if I'm in decent shape and can ride the main all day. The vet track is just lame and too many wackos swerving around all over it.

|