Flo plates

GOONrider27
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2018 6:41pm
I think these front plates look real cool, but in my opinion i don't think it's worth $60 to get it done. But I want it done, can I do this myself or is there another company that makes them cheaper?
|
mx836
2/9/2014 2:53pm
Flo? Fluorescent? Ohh...you mean vented. An English word. Make one. Not hard. Your mesh of choice and some rivets
GOONrider27
2/9/2014 3:22pm
mx836 wrote:
Flo? Fluorescent? Ohh...you mean vented. An English word. Make one. Not hard. Your mesh of choice and some rivets
Actually there is a company that makes them and calls them flo plates. That's who made Weston peicks
GOONrider27
2/9/2014 3:34pm
Also, does anyone know where to get the special numbers? Pic below
2/9/2014 3:44pm
Also, does anyone know where to get the special numbers? Pic below [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/09/44946/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Preston Petty use to make numbers similar to those, you can sometimes find then on Ebay
I made my own vintage vented number plate out of a old Preston Petty vented number plate, but I wish I could find some kind of screen like they used in the picture above.

Here's mine that I made.

The Shop

GOONrider27
2/9/2014 3:52pm
Also, does anyone know where to get the special numbers? Pic below [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/09/44946/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Preston Petty use to make numbers similar to those, you can sometimes find then on Ebay I made my own vintage vented number plate out of...
Preston Petty use to make numbers similar to those, you can sometimes find then on Ebay
I made my own vintage vented number plate out of a old Preston Petty vented number plate, but I wish I could find some kind of screen like they used in the picture above.

Here's mine that I made.
Yeah those are made from the company flo plates. And yeah I wanna know what kind of screen that is. It looks really cool. But with flo plates you mail your plastic number plate to them with graphics and they cut it and put the screen on and numbers for $60. But I've got a perfectly good number plate and don't want to spend $60 just for that, id rather just make my own I just have to find that mesh material.
Skerby
2/9/2014 5:28pm
Drill alot of holes?
JustinL
2/9/2014 5:57pm
McMaster Carr

Check out that site, they have pretty much anything you could ever want and all sorts of odds and ends.
Mtek
2/9/2014 6:19pm
I think these front plates look real cool, but in my opinion i don't think it's worth $60 to get it done. But I want it...
I think these front plates look real cool, but in my opinion i don't think it's worth $60 to get it done. But I want it done, can I do this myself or is there another company that makes them cheaper?
They are worth every cent, metal screen, powder coated perfectly. The numbers they use is whatever you send them, riveted on after they make the plate, turn around is decent and it looks professional. Btw, Peick is running a Floplate.
bullpen658
2/9/2014 6:56pm
I think we all need those because none of us have ever over-heated our bikes on a race track. Seriously, why would anyone think they need that? I've never over heated a bike anywhere but super gnarly enduro trails in first gear.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
2/9/2014 6:59pm
I remember RC used to run a half one on his Zuke in the outdoors. I always liked it.
pb465
2/9/2014 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 7:11pm
I think he is referring to floplates.com. I know they the guy puts over a hour of labor into every plate. Since every number plate and graphic is unique he has no choice but to do it all by hand. It is a little pricey but they are completely custom and last the whole year.
FloPlates
2/9/2014 7:43pm
I think these front plates look real cool, but in my opinion i don't think it's worth $60 to get it done. But I want it...
The reason a plate is $60 is because the vent and rivets we use are powder coated aluminum so the color doesn't chip. The plate is cut out around the numbers, leaving them in tact with the plate for added strength. (Instead of completely separating the numbers from the plate.) All the cutting and clean-cut trimming is done by hand, all of which takes around 3 hours per plate. One plate start to finish takes about 5 hours. Also the cost of shipping is included in the price. With the cost of material and labor we're not even breaking even, just trying to get the name out.
dboivin
2/9/2014 7:49pm
i think they are a deal at $60, they are spot on and very clean looking. drew does a nice, clean job on them.
2/9/2014 8:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 8:57pm
bullpen658 wrote:
I think we all need those because none of us have ever over-heated our bikes on a race track. Seriously, why would anyone think they need...
I think we all need those because none of us have ever over-heated our bikes on a race track. Seriously, why would anyone think they need that? I've never over heated a bike anywhere but super gnarly enduro trails in first gear.
Because they look totally Bad A$$, and make you feel like you can beat Ryan Villopoto !! Laughing or in my case David Bailey.
dean122
2/9/2014 8:58pm
Why do we need anything that doesn't enhance performance or how we ride? Because it's in our genes as motocrossers to not only go fast, but to look fast.

My bike looks way faster than I can ride it and you know what, I'm cool with that. I work my ass off and have the money to spend on having cool shit for the sport that I love and I'm getting one of those damn plates done for my steed. Not because it will prevent my bike from overheating, not because it'll make me faster, but simply because it looks badass, I want it and I can afford it.
FloPlates
2/9/2014 11:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2014 11:07pm
bullpen658 wrote:
I think we all need those because none of us have ever over-heated our bikes on a race track. Seriously, why would anyone think they need...
Because they look totally Bad A$$, and make you feel like you can beat Ryan Villopoto !! Laughing or in my case David Bailey.

I call Magoo! Thanks for the kind words guys!
GOONrider27
2/10/2014 4:08am
FloPlates wrote:
The reason a plate is $60 is because the vent and rivets we use are powder coated aluminum so the color doesn't chip. The plate is...
The reason a plate is $60 is because the vent and rivets we use are powder coated aluminum so the color doesn't chip. The plate is cut out around the numbers, leaving them in tact with the plate for added strength. (Instead of completely separating the numbers from the plate.) All the cutting and clean-cut trimming is done by hand, all of which takes around 3 hours per plate. One plate start to finish takes about 5 hours. Also the cost of shipping is included in the price. With the cost of material and labor we're not even breaking even, just trying to get the name out.
Fair enough.. I didn't know all that went into making one of these, I didn't even know then venting was aluminum I thought it was plastic. I will probably order one soon! And side plates would look cool have you ever thought of that?
GOONrider27
2/10/2014 4:13am
FloPlates wrote:
The reason a plate is $60 is because the vent and rivets we use are powder coated aluminum so the color doesn't chip. The plate is...
And also, I have my front plate with my graphics, do I send that in and you keep those graphics on and just add the venting?
FloPlates
2/10/2014 9:39am
And also, I have my front plate with my graphics, do I send that in and you keep those graphics on and just add the venting?
Yes the graphic stays on the plastic through the entire process. The plate is only cut out where you see the vent. We've done a few side plates and they look awesome but won't last as long as the front plate from your legs constantly rubbing.
cleve69
2/10/2014 10:38am
As an engineer we did an independent test and checked our coolant temp. after a 15 min moto. Temp. was 7 degrees cooler after the moto with flo-plates. They don't advertise lowering temp. but it works, plus it keeps the gas temp down as well.
dak446
2/10/2014 10:46am
cleve69 wrote:
As an engineer we did an independent test and checked our coolant temp. after a 15 min moto. Temp. was 7 degrees cooler after the moto...
As an engineer we did an independent test and checked our coolant temp. after a 15 min moto. Temp. was 7 degrees cooler after the moto with flo-plates. They don't advertise lowering temp. but it works, plus it keeps the gas temp down as well.
Maybe Dungey should look into these Wink
The Rock
2/10/2014 11:16am
FloPlates wrote:
Are you doing anything in GNCC or WORCS? Those guys need the extra cooling big time plus unlike the MX world they don't expect things either free or for $1.98.

If you aren't I'd be happy to introduce you to Mike Sigety.
yamaha189
2/10/2014 11:22am
I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that Drew Yenerich, who raced the nationals the past few years is in charge of this company, or something along those lines? If that is true I would have no problem paying the $60 for it to be done since it is benefiting a privateer who is paying his own way to race and follow the series.
GOONrider27
2/10/2014 1:30pm
FloPlates wrote:
Yes the graphic stays on the plastic through the entire process. The plate is only cut out where you see the vent. We've done a few...
Yes the graphic stays on the plastic through the entire process. The plate is only cut out where you see the vent. We've done a few side plates and they look awesome but won't last as long as the front plate from your legs constantly rubbing.
Oo, yeah never thought about your leg rubbing.
GOONrider27
2/10/2014 1:32pm
yamaha189 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that Drew Yenerich, who raced the nationals the past few years is in charge of this...
I could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that Drew Yenerich, who raced the nationals the past few years is in charge of this company, or something along those lines? If that is true I would have no problem paying the $60 for it to be done since it is benefiting a privateer who is paying his own way to race and follow the series.
Yeah It is drew yenrich that made up the company
Mtek
3/15/2014 12:27pm
Drew is the man, this thing is awesome. He had to pay extra for the gp green powder coat, I gladly sent him the extra cost. These things could sell for a lot more than 60 bucks IMO, really nice work.

Hut
3/15/2014 12:30pm
Mtek wrote:
Drew is the man, this thing is awesome. He had to pay extra for the gp green powder coat, I gladly sent him the extra cost...
Drew is the man, this thing is awesome. He had to pay extra for the gp green powder coat, I gladly sent him the extra cost. These things could sell for a lot more than 60 bucks IMO, really nice work.

looks badass
Tonycar107
3/15/2014 1:18pm
I can feel the power loss 4 to 5 laps into mx practice. The Florida sand puts a lot of load on motors. I want one.
3/15/2014 1:26pm
Tonycar107 wrote:
I can feel the power loss 4 to 5 laps into mx practice. The Florida sand puts a lot of load on motors. I want one.
I could feel the power difference too, if my arms didn't pump up after the first corner!
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
3/15/2014 3:37pm
the mesh background is called perferated mesh. it comes in plain carbon steel, stainless steel and aluminum. there are different gauges available for all three materials. any decent metal supplier should be able to get it. it is not cheap by the way.

Post a reply to: Flo plates

The Latest