First Bike

Motofinne
Posts
11622
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
FI
11/3/2019 1:32am
Honda QR 50 1990. I wish i would still have it... I should buy one and restore it.
VicDaMoan03
Posts
612
Joined
5/30/2013
Location
Los Lunas, NM, USA
11/3/2019 4:25am
1997 xr100 (not my photo)


wildbill
Posts
4382
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Christmas Valley, OR, USA
11/3/2019 4:36am
"I learned to clutch it in corners" Poetic moto justice.
11/3/2019 4:51am
1978 Mini Z 450, 1980 ATC 110

The Shop

11/3/2019 5:10am
fogmoto wrote:
1984 KX80. Worked a paper route and saved up enough to buy it. Think it was around 850$ back in the day. When my Dad brought...
1984 KX80. Worked a paper route and saved up enough to buy it. Think it was around 850$ back in the day. When my Dad brought it back from the shop, he tried to give me a lesson on how to use the clutch. Thinking it was a toy, he gave it a shit load of gas and dropped the clutch. Almost looped the bike out in the driveway. Gave it back to me just shaking his head. I'll never forget that day.


Thats great use for textbooks!
4
AZRider
Posts
412
Joined
6/14/2016
Location
Rock Spring, GA, USA
11/3/2019 8:42am
This was the first bike, got it in 77 because i was too small for anything else my parents could afford. Front forks but no rear suspension with a briggs and stratton pull start.
Circa 1980, i was 8. I had it for about 3 years at that point. Later that year i got a 78 RM50 and to this day have a soft spot for Suzuki.

1
roguemx
Posts
708
Joined
8/20/2009
Location
Lompoc, CA, USA
11/3/2019 9:19am
My buddy had a ‘73 Yamaha MX80 balled up in the corner of his backyard, $30 later it was mine. It didn’t run and money was short in our house. My dad was a long haul truck driver and on one of his runs through Utah, he found another motor at a junkyard. We combined the two to make one that ran. Fresh coats of gloss black rattle can and some BBQ paint for the exhaust we had a pretty clean little bike. But I needed grips to finish her off, so my dad made sure and got the OEM grips from ‘73 and off we went. I wish I had pictures. Pretty proud I had to fix it before I could ride it. I think it was 1995 when this all started.
1
yamahaha131
Posts
739
Joined
4/7/2010
Location
Newark, OH, USA
11/5/2019 4:10pm
Action 50 JUNK!


2
PBRvince
Posts
280
Joined
5/10/2019
Location
Palmdale, CA, USA
11/6/2019 2:05am
Christmas 1998 I got a new PW50. I was 5 years old
1
Chance1216
Posts
8985
Joined
4/1/2018
Location
Carson, CA, USA
11/6/2019 4:52pm
slipdog wrote:
My dad brought a QA50 home from a garage sale for my older brother and me to learn on. The first bike of my own was...
My dad brought a QA50 home from a garage sale for my older brother and me to learn on. The first bike of my own was an MX80 after the salesman convinced my dad a YZ60 was too much bike for an 8yr old. I was mad at first but still had just as much fun on it in the woods behind our neighborhood.



That's awesome. 1980 MX 80 was my second bike when I turned 9. That little thing ran forever. First bike was a 69 Honda mini trail 50.
ctbale
Posts
1105
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
Gustavus, AK, USA
11/6/2019 6:06pm
1. Late 1960s Wards mini bike
2. Rupp Hustler (fwd mounted the rear shocks on the swing arm and after bottoming out all the time want back to stock. Fun bike
3 Rockford Toro (taca?) (junk)
3.5 Yamaha DT100. 73'? Raced it flat track, but wanted to do motocross
4. 1974 MR175 (AWESOME) This is the bike that got me hooked
5 1976 YZ 125 ($918 brand new!) I came up with about $600 and my dad and uncles got me the rest of the way to that BIG sale price! Lol
1
11/6/2019 6:11pm
ctbale wrote:
1. Late 1960s Wards mini bike 2. Rupp Hustler (fwd mounted the rear shocks on the swing arm and after bottoming out all the time want...
1. Late 1960s Wards mini bike
2. Rupp Hustler (fwd mounted the rear shocks on the swing arm and after bottoming out all the time want back to stock. Fun bike
3 Rockford Toro (taca?) (junk)
3.5 Yamaha DT100. 73'? Raced it flat track, but wanted to do motocross
4. 1974 MR175 (AWESOME) This is the bike that got me hooked
5 1976 YZ 125 ($918 brand new!) I came up with about $600 and my dad and uncles got me the rest of the way to that BIG sale price! Lol
Lol that’s what happened to me. The dr 100 got me hooked and then I got a job scooping ice cream for a summer to buy a used YZ 125
ctbale
Posts
1105
Joined
1/4/2014
Location
Gustavus, AK, USA
11/6/2019 6:16pm
Missed out on the ct70s, now I have about 6, maybe more! Lol
hamncheeze
Posts
2427
Joined
1/13/2018
Location
British Columbia, CA
11/6/2019 7:10pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2019 7:10pm
First bike was a 1972 Honda Z50 Mini Trail. My dad had to build a cut-down seat and lower bars for me to ride it the first summer, since I was only 3.5 years old. I think the saddle was made from a piece of wood with some foam and brown leather, and a family friend was a machinist and he and my dad built some low rise bars for it. I've searched around before in our family photo archives, but I've not been able to find a picture of the bike in its cut-down form. Probably in a box at my oldest brother's house.

Found this via Google (deleted other post so I could add photo). I don't know if that decal scheme was unique to Canada. The search shows a few variants of graphics for 1972.


1
Chance1216
Posts
8985
Joined
4/1/2018
Location
Carson, CA, USA
11/9/2019 12:12am
Seeing all these Honda mini trails I couldn't help but to go through some old photos knowing I had at least one of mine. 1969 Honda mini trail 50. My grandfather surprised me with my first bike when I was 8. We were at our family's cabin in Frazier Park Ca and he told me check the trunk of his car. He thought he forgot our fishing rods. I ran down and opened the trunk and this bike was there. I couldn't believe it. Thirty four years later I remember it like yesterday. I must've stood there ten minutes frozen. Best childhood memory ever.
RIP GRANDPA
2

Post a reply to: First Bike

The Latest