Davey's Right.

Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 1:35pm
Good Call.

here is a very interesting debate going on over at the VitalMX.com message board about the change in minimum age that will see AMA Pro Supercross and Motocross licenses go to 17 years next year, then 18 in 2011. The debate now stems from the father of the super-fast Adam Cianciarulo (who may be the youngest person of this millennium to featured on the cover of Cycle News) telling AmateurMX.com’s Chris Hultner that they would likely head to Europe when he turns 16, rather than race amateur and pro-am here in the States for two more years.

To me, saying you will go race in Europe when you’re still only 12 is like saying you’ll play quarterback at the University of Florida when you’re 13. There’s a long ways to go between here and there, and a lot can change. Many (including Racer X) have compared Adam to a young Ricky Carmichael, and if anyone can go to Europe at that age and win, it may be him. The rule wasn’t meant to hold the truly exceptional back, but he appears to be the exception and not the rule, and in this case it might. If he goes to Europe and comes back here at 18 as a seasoned pro, everyone on the AMA circuit could have a monster on their hands. If he stays in Europe, Europe could have a monster on their hands. They may already have one in the sensationally fast and rapidly improving Ken Roczen—and he turned 15 in April!

If kids like Adam head for Europe, it’s an unintended consequence of a rule meant to improve the sport here in America by giving kids and families more time to get ready for the life of a professional athlete, as well as give teams a better idea of what kind of person they are hiring for large sums of money. I am sure every team out there has a horror story about somebody or somebody’s mom or dad that they do not know well when they signed, or otherwise they might not have. I know it’s a cliche, but for every James Stewart success story, there are dozens of Josh Sweat- and Ben Riddle-type stories out there where professional success did not happen and things went off the rails in a hurry. The NBA, the NFL, NASCAR and more all have minimum ages for good reason.
|
500guy
Posts
12468
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/21/2009 4:25pm
I agree too
Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 4:29pm
500guy wrote:
I agree too


Good, now go get me a cold one, "85 Guy".






Jay, call me after 3 a.m and let me hang up on you, I feel like waking up early.

East Coast, not Zulu time.
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
8/21/2009 4:34pm
I said I didn't like this rule before and will say it again. If a kid can quit high school and go to work at MCDonald's at 16 in the good ol USA then he should be able to go be a pro racer in america and make a living. Now we will miss seeing the first two year Of AC's carreer in the USA.
500guy
Posts
12468
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/21/2009 4:42pm
No way I ain't callin. Mrs X will kill me

The Shop

KAWboy14
Posts
6502
Joined
12/31/2007
Location
Austin, TX, USA
8/21/2009 4:47pm
Rupert X wrote:
Good Call. here is a very interesting debate going on over at the VitalMX.com message board about the change in minimum age that will see AMA...
Good Call.

here is a very interesting debate going on over at the VitalMX.com message board about the change in minimum age that will see AMA Pro Supercross and Motocross licenses go to 17 years next year, then 18 in 2011. The debate now stems from the father of the super-fast Adam Cianciarulo (who may be the youngest person of this millennium to featured on the cover of Cycle News) telling AmateurMX.com’s Chris Hultner that they would likely head to Europe when he turns 16, rather than race amateur and pro-am here in the States for two more years.

To me, saying you will go race in Europe when you’re still only 12 is like saying you’ll play quarterback at the University of Florida when you’re 13. There’s a long ways to go between here and there, and a lot can change. Many (including Racer X) have compared Adam to a young Ricky Carmichael, and if anyone can go to Europe at that age and win, it may be him. The rule wasn’t meant to hold the truly exceptional back, but he appears to be the exception and not the rule, and in this case it might. If he goes to Europe and comes back here at 18 as a seasoned pro, everyone on the AMA circuit could have a monster on their hands. If he stays in Europe, Europe could have a monster on their hands. They may already have one in the sensationally fast and rapidly improving Ken Roczen—and he turned 15 in April!

If kids like Adam head for Europe, it’s an unintended consequence of a rule meant to improve the sport here in America by giving kids and families more time to get ready for the life of a professional athlete, as well as give teams a better idea of what kind of person they are hiring for large sums of money. I am sure every team out there has a horror story about somebody or somebody’s mom or dad that they do not know well when they signed, or otherwise they might not have. I know it’s a cliche, but for every James Stewart success story, there are dozens of Josh Sweat- and Ben Riddle-type stories out there where professional success did not happen and things went off the rails in a hurry. The NBA, the NFL, NASCAR and more all have minimum ages for good reason.
im sure it has nothing to do with helping the kids and more to do with them being 18-legal!



well maybe a little to help the kids!
Cygnus
Posts
14845
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
Hanover, CO, USA
8/21/2009 5:09pm
Does anyone else think the reason for this new rule could be a nice new much cheaper insurance policy for DMG?
jackson222
Posts
753
Joined
12/20/2008
Location
Nsw, AU
8/21/2009 5:16pm
I agree with him. The kids who are fast enough and who believe they are ready like Adam are going to go to Europe and see how they go, and I'm sure he will do very well. I think the rule overall is a good thing, for guys who aren't quite there due to whatever reason it is better to wait until the age of 18.

I think however that DC and you Americans should be doing everything possible to make sure Adam and any other kids who choose the same path, do come back when they're 18. Because if you think about it, the Cianciarulo's may go over there and love the lifestyle, if adam gets a good contract with high money and he misses out on a championship at 17, they may decide to stay and chase that championship, I think the AMA will need to focus on getting these kids back ASAP.
rc4187
Posts
1086
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/21/2009 5:17pm
Cygnus wrote:
Does anyone else think the reason for this new rule could be a nice new much cheaper insurance policy for DMG?
Could be. I still think it's a smart rule all around. Like he says, AC is an exception and most others aren't ready. Plus at 18 they can enter into a contract and don't need mom and dad to look out for them.
oshow
Posts
4083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/21/2009 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2009 6:08pm
I agree too. But also understand if they think he is ready he should go make the $$ while he can. getting hurt in this sport is easy, making money isn't.
trick121
Posts
1200
Joined
12/9/2006
Location
Redondo Beach, CA, USA
8/21/2009 5:47pm
Thats awesome AC is going to Europe. Go go go go go. Being world champion compared to be a LL champion is night and day difference. dc just wants him to stay here and race his events.

Dungey going from intermediate to pro was unheard of to but that kid has made good on the transition.

BobbyM
Posts
21435
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/21/2009 6:00pm
Cygnus wrote:
Does anyone else think the reason for this new rule could be a nice new much cheaper insurance policy for DMG?
good! why not?
8/21/2009 6:22pm
What's the age for a Candian Pro License? I would think if you could do the Candian Nationals and then some Pro-Am races in between. I think if you did good up north the teams here in the states will hear more about you.
WSR
Posts
1528
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
8/21/2009 6:28pm
What's the age for a Candian Pro License? I would think if you could do the Candian Nationals and then some Pro-Am races in between. I...
What's the age for a Candian Pro License? I would think if you could do the Candian Nationals and then some Pro-Am races in between. I think if you did good up north the teams here in the states will hear more about you.
That's a great idea. It would be far better logistically for a family than moving over seas.
oshow
Posts
4083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
8/21/2009 6:29pm
oshow wrote:
I agree too. But also understand if they think he is ready he should go make the $$ while he can. getting hurt in this sport...
I agree too. But also understand if they think he is ready he should go make the $$ while he can. getting hurt in this sport is easy, making money isn't.
$$$$
8/21/2009 6:35pm
oshow wrote:
I agree too. But also understand if they think he is ready he should go make the $$ while he can. getting hurt in this sport...
I agree too. But also understand if they think he is ready he should go make the $$ while he can. getting hurt in this sport is easy, making money isn't.
oshow wrote:
$$$$
LOL if that's true I guess thats why so many riders that have raced GP's are here now?
jeffro503
Posts
27651
Joined
7/22/2007
Location
St Helens, OR, USA
8/21/2009 6:54pm
What's the age for a Candian Pro License? I would think if you could do the Candian Nationals and then some Pro-Am races in between. I...
What's the age for a Candian Pro License? I would think if you could do the Candian Nationals and then some Pro-Am races in between. I think if you did good up north the teams here in the states will hear more about you.
There is a LOT more money involved when racing over seas compared to the canadian nationals. If they weren't into it for "just" the money , which most people are....then yeah.....Canada would be the place to go.
sesker15
Posts
1054
Joined
4/14/2008
Location
Upper Marlboro, MD, USA
8/21/2009 6:57pm
This all sounds like the Brandon jennings story? Heard of it? Thats the kid that went overseas to play pro basketball instead of going to college for a year then turing pro . Then he came to the NBA after a year overseas and was the 10th pick in the 2009 NBA draft after making millions over seas for one year! Sounds like a AC story in the making to me!
This Brandon Jennings story happen casue the NBA made a rule that you have to be out of HS a year before you can be eligble for the NBA draft.
Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 7:04pm

Ultimately, someone has to make decisions that may not make everyone

warm and fuzzy, yet are initiated for all the right reasons.

SOMEONE MUST draw a line in the sand, sometime - if not when?

Do you say it's okay for a 14 year old to drop out of school (and life)

and perform the moto-existence. Then when ? At 15? 16 ?

Okay , when ?

Or, do you just grab a random Pee-Wee racer that, at age 8, WOWS everybody and

say - "hey, we need this kid as a pro.." ?
Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 7:08pm


Thinking this out logically, (which i insist on) - and a Caribbean nation starts

calling on our third-graders - providing factory rides on Red-Stripe sponsored

factory King Cobra's - do we then say that age 9 it is okay to be pro ?

Please, think this out reasonably- afore you jump to institutions.


You can't even join the military until 17. (With parents consent)
englishman
Posts
2833
Joined
3/7/2008
Location
England, GB
8/21/2009 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:42am
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s.

So you race pro 'till you are 35 maybe then what???
ProMed
Posts
2947
Joined
9/11/2006
Location
São Paulo, BR
8/21/2009 7:10pm
Around how much cash per year is Adam Cianciarulo making now to race amateurs from all his sponsors?
Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 7:13pm
englishman wrote:
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s...
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s.

So you race pro 'till you are 35 maybe then what???


Yeah, but what if you make 3 mil at by age 27 and have life kicked in the arse - is that so

bad ?

Some would say that education can wait, talent and youth won't.

YZKEN250
Posts
547
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Lodi, CA, USA
8/21/2009 7:17pm
englishman wrote:
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s...
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s.

So you race pro 'till you are 35 maybe then what???
The world needs ditch diggers too.
Hank_Thrill
Posts
4664
Joined
9/22/2008
Location
Arlen, TX, USA
8/21/2009 7:17pm
I think it's kind of a bad thing...

Motocross is a young mans sport. They already have short enough careers as it is.
Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
8/21/2009 7:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2009 7:22pm
Rupert X wrote:
Ultimately, someone has to make decisions that may not make everyone warm and fuzzy, yet are initiated for all the right reasons. SOMEONE MUST draw a...

Ultimately, someone has to make decisions that may not make everyone

warm and fuzzy, yet are initiated for all the right reasons.

SOMEONE MUST draw a line in the sand, sometime - if not when?

Do you say it's okay for a 14 year old to drop out of school (and life)

and perform the moto-existence. Then when ? At 15? 16 ?

Okay , when ?

Or, do you just grab a random Pee-Wee racer that, at age 8, WOWS everybody and

say - "hey, we need this kid as a pro.." ?
I've said all along this new rule sucks. Carry this logic on another level. Why even let them race at all? Dangerous sport, someone could get hurt. Why not just say no one can ride a motorcycle until their 18. Legal age. Then if they get hurt it's their own fault. What's the difference if a kid is home schooled from the age of 8yrs. old and rides amateur or rides pro. Only difference is the money. Just as likely to get hurt in the amateur as the pros. What are we REALLY protecting them from? Making money?
englishman
Posts
2833
Joined
3/7/2008
Location
England, GB
8/21/2009 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:42am
englishman wrote:
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s...
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s.

So you race pro 'till you are 35 maybe then what???
Rupert X wrote:
Yeah, but what if you make 3 mil at by age 27 and have life kicked in the arse - is that so bad ? Some...


Yeah, but what if you make 3 mil at by age 27 and have life kicked in the arse - is that so

bad ?

Some would say that education can wait, talent and youth won't.

I hear that but I'm sure you've seen as many kids as I have whose whole family put thier eggs in one basket and the kid doesn't make it and ends up making minimum wage & busting his hump the rest of his life just to make ends meet.

Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 7:29pm
Rupert X wrote:
Ultimately, someone has to make decisions that may not make everyone warm and fuzzy, yet are initiated for all the right reasons. SOMEONE MUST draw a...

Ultimately, someone has to make decisions that may not make everyone

warm and fuzzy, yet are initiated for all the right reasons.

SOMEONE MUST draw a line in the sand, sometime - if not when?

Do you say it's okay for a 14 year old to drop out of school (and life)

and perform the moto-existence. Then when ? At 15? 16 ?

Okay , when ?

Or, do you just grab a random Pee-Wee racer that, at age 8, WOWS everybody and

say - "hey, we need this kid as a pro.." ?
Ing wrote:
I've said all along this new rule sucks. Carry this logic on another level. Why even let them race at all? Dangerous sport, someone could get...
I've said all along this new rule sucks. Carry this logic on another level. Why even let them race at all? Dangerous sport, someone could get hurt. Why not just say no one can ride a motorcycle until their 18. Legal age. Then if they get hurt it's their own fault. What's the difference if a kid is home schooled from the age of 8yrs. old and rides amateur or rides pro. Only difference is the money. Just as likely to get hurt in the amateur as the pros. What are we REALLY protecting them from? Making money?

Indeed. There are reasons you can't be a pro baseball player at 13 - or play

professional poker at age 7. It's called society. And it's referred to as - looking after

the well-being of youth. If there are no rules and there are no lines drawn, eventually

we have anarchy. Sure, we all realize there are instances where rules are vague,

things are misinterpreted and people lose their sense of what's right or wrong -

yet if you don't discriminate between right and wrong - and initiate judgments and

penalties, then at some point, the worst happens - kids don't get to be kids.
Rupert X
Posts
11083
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Newark, OH, USA
8/21/2009 7:33pm
englishman wrote:
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s...
I love how nobody thinks that ALL these kids parents aren't fucking thier lives up by doing this homeschooling / done with school at 15 b.s.

So you race pro 'till you are 35 maybe then what???
Rupert X wrote:
Yeah, but what if you make 3 mil at by age 27 and have life kicked in the arse - is that so bad ? Some...


Yeah, but what if you make 3 mil at by age 27 and have life kicked in the arse - is that so

bad ?

Some would say that education can wait, talent and youth won't.

englishman wrote:
I hear that but I'm sure you've seen as many kids as I have whose whole family put thier eggs in one basket and the kid...
I hear that but I'm sure you've seen as many kids as I have whose whole family put thier eggs in one basket and the kid doesn't make it and ends up making minimum wage & busting his hump the rest of his life just to make ends meet.

Agreed.


Try telling that to the family - or kid.

And, it's not just motocross.

But yeah, you're right.
Ing
Posts
3654
Joined
8/16/2006
Location
Spring Hill, FL, USA
8/21/2009 7:36pm
I agree, but...... if their already racing and traveling the country why not make the family and yourself a bit of cash? IF you have the skills. Sorry, I just don't see the difference between a serious amateur and a pro rider as far as the welfare of the child/man is concerned. I held a pro license when I was 16 and was injured and out by the time I was 17. My chance of injury wasn't increased or decreased by which series I rode. IMO. One thing is for certain, I did get a chance to ride with the pros which I wouldn't have had if I couldn't have turned pro until 18. Once in a lifetime experience I would have missed.
Team Ideal
Posts
1173
Joined
9/22/2008
Location
Ste. Marie, IL, USA
8/21/2009 7:40pm
I like this rule. I think it helps your average guy who has a kid that has potential to keep him in regular school and a normal lifesyle and saves the whole family some money. and gives them time to figure out wether this is the way they want to go. IMHO way to many betting the farm on something that's not going to work out because they have to get noticed now and turn pro before 16 or their to old.

if it saves the big guys some insurance money that's good to.

Post a reply to: Davey's Right.

The Latest