Budds Creek Working To Save Its National

motogrady
5/25/2017 9:26am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 9:28am
DC wrote:
Appalachia Lake: 1973-1975. Today.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/25/197540/s1200_Appalachia_Lake.jpg[/img]
Appalachia Lake: 1973-1975. Today.

Ha, drove past that place last week. Stopped at the driveway where it hits Rt 26. Thought of the few times I raced there in the 70s. Before Rt 68. When you had to take Rt 40 when you came from Baltimore.

But that's apples to oranges.

That place struggled to hit National caliber. Didn't the promoter abscond with all the money from the last race? The National?

I dunno, seems to me, as a major principle in the company that controls the motocross here in the States,
there would be maybe 4 or 5 tracks that would be held as valuable to the whole scene in general.
And yeah, I don't wanna piss anyone off, but let's just say, if we lost Red Budd, Washougal, Unadilla or Budds Creek,
that would be a major blow to us here in the USA.

To let a major track, which got into trouble doing what most others wouldn't even attempt, get to the point they needed to start up a go fund me account, while the national organization that represents and reaps the goodwill it produced, kinda just helped with the fencing, is beyond me.
Xeno
5/25/2017 9:44am
Four pages about the Nationals and not one peep from the 2-stroke Taliban? Just when you think you have this place figured out...

Anyway, sure wish I could do the whole tour as a spectator like MXrDW did in the past. The tracks seem so varied in both terrain and attendees. Good people watching, for sure!

That Skyshot thing a Unadilla looks sweet.

Wish I saw the first Bubba Scrub in person.

I'm too scared to camp at Red Bud, but I'd like to see LaRacco's leap in person.

Millville seems kinda like Glen Helen, but with better dirt and trees.

I rode Thunder Valley one day, that was a blast.

And you can't comprehend the hills at Glen Helen until you see (and ride) them in person.
DC
5/25/2017 10:37am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 10:40am
"That place struggled to hit National caliber. Didn't the promoter abscond with all the money from the last race? The National?"

No, that was my dad. He paid the purse for the last race, it was an Inter-Am/125 National. The owner of the farm was the one who went to jail for tax evasion. My dad had started Appalachian Highlands at Keyser's Ridge by then. He never did something like what you just implied.

"To let a major track, which got into trouble doing what most others wouldn't even attempt, get to the point they needed to start up a go fund me account, while the national organization that represents and reaps the goodwill it produced, kinda just helped with the fencing, is beyond me."

Motogrady, most others wouldn't attempt the MXoN because it was a bad deal at the time, and Jonathan knew it and was warned. I don't "reap his goodwill" and I do a hell of a lot more than "help with fencing."

But I can't fix his debts and legal problems, only he can. And you should add High Point and Spring Creek and Washougal and Hangtown and Southwick to your list of tracks that would be terrible to lose because they were all nationals long before Budds Creek, and they all look pretty damn good right now.

I'm sorry that Jonathan let his track fall from it's previous grandeur for awhile there. How you infer that it's somehow my fault that he quit improving the place or my responsibility to clean up his financial situation is ridiculous and absurd.

DC
Racer X
ricko
5/25/2017 10:43am
DC wrote:
"That place struggled to hit National caliber. Didn't the promoter abscond with all the money from the last race? The National?" No, that was my dad...
"That place struggled to hit National caliber. Didn't the promoter abscond with all the money from the last race? The National?"

No, that was my dad. He paid the purse for the last race, it was an Inter-Am/125 National. The owner of the farm was the one who went to jail for tax evasion. My dad had started Appalachian Highlands at Keyser's Ridge by then. He never did something like what you just implied.

"To let a major track, which got into trouble doing what most others wouldn't even attempt, get to the point they needed to start up a go fund me account, while the national organization that represents and reaps the goodwill it produced, kinda just helped with the fencing, is beyond me."

Motogrady, most others wouldn't attempt the MXoN because it was a bad deal at the time, and Jonathan knew it and was warned. I don't "reap his goodwill" and I do a hell of a lot more than "help with fencing."

But I can't fix his debts and legal problems, only he can. And you should add High Point and Spring Creek and Washougal and Hangtown and Southwick to your list of tracks that would be terrible to lose because they were all nationals long before Budds Creek, and they all look pretty damn good right now.

I'm sorry that Jonathan let his track fall from it's previous grandeur for awhile there. How you infer that it's somehow my fault that he quit improving the place or my responsibility to clean up his financial situation is ridiculous and absurd.

DC
Racer X
DC, its quite obvious motogrady has never met you, I had the pleasure of meeting you 10 years ago now at the 07 Budds MXDN, I filmed with Wes Williams that year for you. You're a hell of a guy and do a lot for the sport. Looking forward to High Point here in a few weeks. Stop by our campsite again this year and snap another pic like this one you took a few years back.

The Shop

zehn
5/25/2017 10:44am
Anybody know about the future of FIHR? Seems there was some talk a year back about it getting a National at some point
hillbilly
5/25/2017 10:52am
everyone should get a glass of kentucky whiskey and think of the turd of a series we would have if DC hadnt taken this thing over.

dipshits,

by the way,

a still in the infield would be a good draw,mixed with red bull , moonshine makes their clothes fall off,or is it toes.
phatfi20
5/25/2017 10:57am
DC wrote:
Appalachia Lake: 1973-1975. Today.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/25/197540/s1200_Appalachia_Lake.jpg[/img]
Appalachia Lake: 1973-1975. Today.

motogrady wrote:
Ha, drove past that place last week. Stopped at the driveway where it hits Rt 26. Thought of the few times I raced there in the...
Ha, drove past that place last week. Stopped at the driveway where it hits Rt 26. Thought of the few times I raced there in the 70s. Before Rt 68. When you had to take Rt 40 when you came from Baltimore.

But that's apples to oranges.

That place struggled to hit National caliber. Didn't the promoter abscond with all the money from the last race? The National?

I dunno, seems to me, as a major principle in the company that controls the motocross here in the States,
there would be maybe 4 or 5 tracks that would be held as valuable to the whole scene in general.
And yeah, I don't wanna piss anyone off, but let's just say, if we lost Red Budd, Washougal, Unadilla or Budds Creek,
that would be a major blow to us here in the USA.

To let a major track, which got into trouble doing what most others wouldn't even attempt, get to the point they needed to start up a go fund me account, while the national organization that represents and reaps the goodwill it produced, kinda just helped with the fencing, is beyond me.
Motogrady

There are many reason's Budd's is in trouble, some of which are not polite to discuss publicly. It has been in trouble in the past and Jonathan has turned it around. Your blame is misplaced. Say sorry to Mr. Coombs. You're biting the hand that feeds you.
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
5/25/2017 11:12am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 11:14am
^^This!^^ Wow
motogrady
5/25/2017 12:03pm

Hey, DC getting the Nationals over YS years ago was a Godsend.
And yes, he's probably the best guy for the job he holds.
But, that doesn't mean I can't voice an opinion.

I liken this situation to Major League Baseball letting the Yankees fold because they did an exhibition in Japan and lost their ass,

You guys think that would happen?

And yeah, I've met Davey and his sister at Highpoint, briefly. Nice people.
And we are lucky to have him.

But, by no means, by any stretch of the imagination does the guy feed me.
And no, I'm not apologizing to anyone for speaking my piece.

If Beasly is painting a different picture of what is the reality, first I've heard of it.

And one more thing, I am apologizing for bringing Dave Coombs into this. Didn't know he was the promoter where things went bad at Appalachia Lake. He was a great man.
DC
5/25/2017 12:41pm
MotoGrady, no worries at all.... But I don't see why or how I should pay Jonathan's debt to the state of Maryland when I still have a massive reclamation bill to fix Steel City from the DNR in Pennsylvania. Why would I ask ANY promoter or anyone else pay for that? Do you think we wanted to close the gates on one of the best tracks in America?

We can agree to disagree, and we definitely do here. But we're still in moto (and West Virginia) together.

DC
Racer X

bultokid
5/25/2017 12:44pm
Without DC the US National scene I'm afraid would be a complete cluster@#$%

Still think Houston needs a national again :-)
motogrady
5/25/2017 1:47pm
DC wrote:
MotoGrady, no worries at all.... But I don't see why or how I should pay Jonathan's debt to the state of Maryland when I still have...
MotoGrady, no worries at all.... But I don't see why or how I should pay Jonathan's debt to the state of Maryland when I still have a massive reclamation bill to fix Steel City from the DNR in Pennsylvania. Why would I ask ANY promoter or anyone else pay for that? Do you think we wanted to close the gates on one of the best tracks in America?

We can agree to disagree, and we definitely do here. But we're still in moto (and West Virginia) together.

DC
Racer X

Agreed.

End of July, Terra Alta, McKees Skyranch. Thursday, Vintage street ride thru the countryside.
Bring your street bike, I'll spring for the cold one at Shorthorns Saloon after the twisties.
DC
5/25/2017 3:14pm
End of July, Terra Alta, McKees Skyranch. Thursday, Vintage street ride thru the countryside.
Bring your street bike, I'll spring for the cold one at Shorthorns Saloon after the twisties.

I've heard about this! But I am always at Loretta Lynn's by then helping build out the national track.

But I'm riding my Scarmbler or my KTM Adventure plenty so anytime you're up for a visit, I'm always looking for new roads and old signs. I'm back on Monday from GH.

DC
Racer X
twizzler
5/25/2017 3:55pm
It seems better in some ways back in box vans and mechanics/teams and riders traveling to races back and forth all over the country with some current and old school tracks. Everybody did it with the schedule then and every team still managed to make it to the tracks for race weekend. Lots of stories to be told, some good and some not so good. But everything seemed to manage fine. Now semis and fenced off pits and not real access to riders nor getting good seats close to the track is the new normal along with somewhat boring racing and boring podium speeches. It's a more professional series now, but that doesn't mean it's better. But it had to change with the times, nothing stays the same, some good is gone and some new good arrives. Some bad now but also some bad back then. Budd's creek has always been a great facility to watch a race and the track shows very well on TV also. Be a shame to lose Budd's, hope it stays on the schedule for years to come!
MX_Andrew83
5/25/2017 8:01pm
I'll say it, the new bikes have ruined racing. If everyone was riding Honda Trail 70s the racing would be way better...

Rockinar
5/25/2017 10:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2017 10:40pm
Bring back Gatorback!

And the expensive 4 strokes are what's killing the sport.
Moto810
5/26/2017 10:15am
hillbilly wrote:
bunch of posts missing, why?
Oh wow? How about that? All my posts were removed. I never attacked anyone or any company. We were only talking about costs of the sport. Hummmm I wonder if someone requested it? LOL
early
Fantasy
2231st
5/26/2017 10:21am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 10:22am
hillbilly wrote:
Moto810 wrote:
Oh wow? How about that? All my posts were removed. I never attacked anyone or any company. We were only talking about costs of the sport...
Oh wow? How about that? All my posts were removed. I never attacked anyone or any company. We were only talking about costs of the sport. Hummmm I wonder if someone requested it? LOL
Looks like our conversation got axed, wonder why, we were cordial.
Moto810
5/26/2017 10:25am
hillbilly wrote:
Moto810 wrote:
Oh wow? How about that? All my posts were removed. I never attacked anyone or any company. We were only talking about costs of the sport...
early wrote:
I did not see one person say anything rude and I know I sure did not. I can imagine how this happen.
hillbilly
5/26/2017 11:19am
Moto810 wrote:
early wrote:
Moto810 wrote:
I did not see one person say anything rude and I know I sure did not. I can imagine how this happen.
fight club
DC
5/26/2017 11:36am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 11:37am
Hmmm.... Maybe in between all of your posts on how great the series was before "new ownership" he remembered this from you, Moto810 (Terry), on the whole laser deal at Washougal:

"Mx sports sucks! Yeah I know Steve is paid by DC here and there but in the end you must have 95% proof! So if I said Fuck DC! Does that mean he can ban me from all AMA sports? If so then FUCK DC! He will one day regret the way he runs this sport as his personal kingdom and someone will build a new race series that puts him out of business. The sport should be ran by a non profit company who cares about the sport and not just the money! I bet the fines go directly to DC's bank account!"

I know you don't think much of me, and I'm okay with that, but people should remember that you have a personal axe to grind with me and the series every time you pop your head up and post six different times about how much better it was before I came along... Hope your Motocross Matrix is still on track.

DC
Racer X
Xeno
5/26/2017 11:47am
Ouch! Motocross is a dirty business (pun intended).
Moto810
5/26/2017 11:55am
That's funny DC. So the way you see it is you can have Vital delete any of my posts you wish huh? Maybe that right there is a very telling sign of your problems. Here we always thought posts only got deleted if they broke rules. lol

Not one of my posts on here ever attacked anyone. Giving my opinion as to why there is less crowd turnout today vs years ago is not an attack. Most everyone on here said the same type of things.
zehn
5/26/2017 11:57am
DC wrote:
Hmmm.... Maybe in between all of your posts on how great the series was before "new ownership" he remembered this from you, Moto810 (Terry), on the...
Hmmm.... Maybe in between all of your posts on how great the series was before "new ownership" he remembered this from you, Moto810 (Terry), on the whole laser deal at Washougal:

"Mx sports sucks! Yeah I know Steve is paid by DC here and there but in the end you must have 95% proof! So if I said Fuck DC! Does that mean he can ban me from all AMA sports? If so then FUCK DC! He will one day regret the way he runs this sport as his personal kingdom and someone will build a new race series that puts him out of business. The sport should be ran by a non profit company who cares about the sport and not just the money! I bet the fines go directly to DC's bank account!"

I know you don't think much of me, and I'm okay with that, but people should remember that you have a personal axe to grind with me and the series every time you pop your head up and post six different times about how much better it was before I came along... Hope your Motocross Matrix is still on track.

DC
Racer X
Oh shit!

DC any word on FIHR? Seems to me there was some talk a while back about it but I haven't heard anything in a while.
DC
5/26/2017 12:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 12:05pm
Nope, I just mentioned that you were back to slagging off on the series -- the same guy who called me a liar and a thief, FUCK DC, Fuck MX Sports, then said you've never said anything rude or attacked anyone? Give me a break, Terry.

Keep comparing 2005 to 2017 and don't forget to include the influence of iPhones and video gaming on what kids do today, and the costs of motorcycles (and maintenance). But to imply sponsorship or television and everything was better "before new ownership" is the funny part. I get that you don't like me, and I can live with that. But you've already banned yourself from this series so why keep badgering it?

DC
Racer X

Moto810
5/26/2017 12:17pm
BS! I never even came close to saying tv coverage is better. I said the crowd size was big and the racing looked exciting in that 2006 Hi Point video. I also said I like the camera angles and the announcing! If you had not delete my posts we could all read them. I do not know the past promoter but the video was to show there was good crowds at the races. This is the video I posted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NC4T5viAg&t=413s

Iphones? Is that what is hurting the sport? I am sure it is not one thing hurting it. However costs are at the top of most opinions. Costs of the sport are just to high for most families and kids. Your in charge of half the sport DC. Its your show so if numbers are down it is all on you to figure out.

I notice you ever comment on my posts where I say the Outdoors are the best part of the sport? Or When I said SX should not expand and hurt the outdoors.
DC
5/26/2017 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 12:32pm
What does an iPhone have to do with it? If people didn't spend $200 a month on their kids phone bills maybe they could make payments on a minicycle. If kids weren't online all the time, maybe they would get into dirt bikes instead of snapchatting all day. Every sport from baseball to NASCAR to TV networks are down in audiences, but we're doing the best we can in an ever-changing landscape of personal devices, social media.

Terry, I don't sell the motorcycles, the six OEMs behind me in the pits (I'm in the Glen Helen media center writing Racerhead) do and I can't control what the price of maintaining a competitive race bike is from week to week. We are trying everything we can, on many levels, to help get more people into the sport. We have added two-stroke racing, we have upped the age restrictions on 250s and 450s, we have expanded online viewing, but this isn't 2005 or '06 and less people are buying motorcycles since the recession, across the board. Of course that is reflected at local races. But Hangtown had a great big crowd, and we hope Glen Helen and the rest do as well.

By the way, do you still really think I made up the laser thing? Do you really think I put fine money in my pocket?

Forget it, I have to go back to work.

DC
Racer X

early
Fantasy
2231st
5/26/2017 12:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 12:39pm
Ill say it again, comparing any year crowd size to 2006 is just dumb.

No disrespect to Steph Curry but 2006 JS vs RC was like having the 93 Bulls with Jordan play Lebron and the 2017 Cavs, of course people came out to watch.

Post a reply to: Budds Creek Working To Save Its National

The Latest