Best Thursday Track To Ride In SoCal?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/21/2018 4:49 AM

Hey Guys,

My wife and I are going to be staying in Temecula for a few days (coming from MN). I'm planning on renting a bike from MX Vacations or Race SoCal to ride on Thursday 9/20. What would be the best track to ride? I'm a slow Vet A / Fast Vet B rider, and love tracks with big forgiving jumps. I know that Glen Helen has practice on Thursdays, but I'm not a huge fan of really rough tracks... Any input is appreciated!

|

8/21/2018 6:58 AM

Milestone is open all day or Perris is open from 4pm-8pm.

The only other track but it’s a far drive is Gorman(Hungry Valley OHv) but that’s north of LA. It’s best from 8am-11am.

So I’d say Milestone is your best bet.

|

8/21/2018 7:00 AM

If someone says Glen Helen after reading the title and not his comment... laughing

|

8/21/2018 7:11 AM

Glen Helen

|

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

8/21/2018 7:28 AM

I would go with Cahuilla creek. It stays pretty smooth there. All their jumps are medium to long table tops. They have a vet track and their main track is completely manageable for a slow guy like me. Prep isn't as good as Pala, but Pala isn't open on Thursdays.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/21/2018 8:26 AM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

I would go with Cahuilla creek. It stays pretty smooth there. All their jumps are medium to long table tops. They have a vet ...more

They aren't open on Thursdays either.

|

8/21/2018 8:49 AM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

I would go with Cahuilla creek. It stays pretty smooth there. All their jumps are medium to long table tops. They have a vet ...more

seth505 wrote:

They aren't open on Thursdays either.

Oh oops, you're right. I thought they were, but they are open on Wednesdays instead.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/21/2018 8:53 AM

Perris

|

8/21/2018 8:58 AM

Lake elsinore mx park....pretty forgiving and super fun.

|

8/21/2018 9:25 AM

2WheelsForTheMasses wrote:

Lake elsinore mx park....pretty forgiving and super fun.

Elsinore is also closed on Thursdays.

To the OP, if you can some how swing Wednesday, I'd go to Cahuilla Creek without a doubt. Really nice jumps, the dirt is unreal and some of the berms make you feel like a pro.

|

8/21/2018 9:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 9:35 AM

2WheelsForTheMasses wrote:

Lake elsinore mx park....pretty forgiving and super fun.

WarrenMX wrote:

Elsinore is also closed on Thursdays.

To the OP, if you can some how swing Wednesday, I'd go to Cahuilla Creek without a ...more

Damn, wish I could but we're not getting in until Wed night... How is the milestones track?

|

8/21/2018 10:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 10:35 AM

When the prep is on point, Perris dirt is as good as it gets. Fun jumps. One of the last SO CAL OG tracks.

|

8/21/2018 10:55 AM

Get to Milestone early (when they open) and you be golden. You can share your time between the vet track and the main track. The main track is fun as hell for vet b/a’s but like I said. Get there early...

|

8/21/2018 11:49 AM

brocster wrote:

Get to Milestone early (when they open) and you be golden. You can share your time between the vet track and the main track. ...more

I would do this. Perris prep sometimes not always the best. Milestone is always good and a fun track. Some easy jumps and a couple harder ones but all shaped very well and forgiving. Definately ride in the morning, 9 am till noon is the best time.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

8/21/2018 12:49 PM

brocster wrote:

Get to Milestone early (when they open) and you be golden. You can share your time between the vet track and the main track. ...more

Myke wrote:

I would do this. Perris prep sometimes not always the best. Milestone is always good and a fun track. Some easy jumps and a ...more

Awesome thanks! When you say get there early is that because the track goes to shit or because it gets super busy?

|

8/21/2018 12:57 PM

flyinb501 wrote:

Awesome thanks! When you say get there early is that because the track goes to shit or because it gets super busy?

The SoCal tracks tend to dry out as the day goes on but I would say this. If you don't mind the track a little dryer and you can stand the heat, most SoCal tracks turn into ghost towns at midday. I can't tell you how many times I've had the entire main track to myself at Pala or Elsinore at 1pm on a weekday. Most of my progression has happened at these times when I've been able to safely cut the track and work one section at a time. It's like having your own private track.

|

8/21/2018 1:12 PM

MilestoneMX in the morning and PerrisMX in the afternoon

|

8/21/2018 8:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 8:23 PM

brocster wrote:

Get to Milestone early (when they open) and you be golden. You can share your time between the vet track and the main track. ...more

Myke wrote:

I would do this. Perris prep sometimes not always the best. Milestone is always good and a fun track. Some easy jumps and a ...more

flyinb501 wrote:

Awesome thanks! When you say get there early is that because the track goes to shit or because it gets super busy?

The tracks are usually watered right before they open at 9:00 am. I personally give it about 30 minutes or so and let it dry out some because it's pretty muddy and slippery right when it opens and it's not a good kind of mud either it sticks to your bike like potting clay and stains your gear. Then you get about 2 hours of really good track time after that they water and be careful because right after they water it's like riding on ice so it's good to let it soak in a bit.

In the afternoon the track gets dryer and starts to get a lot of square edge chop.

Thursday is not going to be busy anyways so I wouldn't worry about that. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday are great days to hit Milestone it's almost like a private ride day.

I actually like going to Glen Helen on Thursday evenings, I get there around 4:30 pm and you can stay as late as you want. The track is in the shade in the evening so it stays moist and softens up plus by that time most everyone has made new lines around all the really rough parts.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

8/21/2018 8:27 PM

Myke wrote:

I would do this. Perris prep sometimes not always the best. Milestone is always good and a fun track. Some easy jumps and a ...more

flyinb501 wrote:

Awesome thanks! When you say get there early is that because the track goes to shit or because it gets super busy?

Myke wrote:

The tracks are usually watered right before they open at 9:00 am. I personally give it about 30 minutes or so and let it dry ...more

I mentioned early mostly because it gets dry and beat usually by noon or shortly after. Like someone else said give the track 20 mins from when you see the first bike out and you’ll be on the good shit for a few motos. Get them early and get them fast and you’ll leave a happy man! Have fun!

|

8/21/2018 9:36 PM

Honestly, if Race SoCal can swing it for you, Milestone in the AM and GH in the late afternoon are the places to be on a Thursday. Fox, Cahuilla, Comp Edge, and Racetown are closed, while Perris has been hit or miss regarding track prep of late. You'd have time to ride till Noon, grab some lunch, take a SoCal siesta, and then head to GH after 4P ($20 practice after 5P, discounted from the regular $30, shows how many locals take advantage of Daylight Savings afternoons) if your body can take it...

If you're renting a 450, Milestone may not be very challenging once you get the track dialed in, but it's a fun practice track nonetheless. 250F's aren't too bad at Milestone if that's what you have to work with. It's 'jumpier' than Glen Helen, but a parking lot track as well; no natural elevation, no scenery, man-made throughout. GH, on the other hand, is best in the late afternoon (as Myke suggested) and on a 450. It's not as rough as most think, especially later in the afternoon, and the scenery/history/vibe is quite a 180 from Milestone.


Current GoPro of each layout below if it can aid in the decision-making process:

Milestone -


GH -
|

8/21/2018 9:43 PM

I never heard about the 5pm deal at GH. You can ride till sunset?

|

8/21/2018 10:31 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I never heard about the 5pm deal at GH. You can ride till sunset?

Yes you can stay as long as you want the gate is automatic to get out. I have left a couple times after 9 pm talking with people.

They also keep watering the main track till dusk.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

8/21/2018 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 1:36 AM

ML512 wrote:

If someone says Glen Helen after reading the title and not his comment... laughing

To be honest the Glen Helen isn't that rough on practice days that everyone seem to claim. If someone is going to ride one track in SoCal he definitely should go to Glen Helen, the place is legendary and the hills make it fun to ride. There isn't too many big jumps though.

Milestone isn’t anything special and as someone posted here, it is pretty much parking lot with some jumps. I wouldn’t go there if I have only one riding day in Socal.

|

8/21/2018 10:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/21/2018 11:04 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I never heard about the 5pm deal at GH. You can ride till sunset?

Here are a couple pictures from a few weeks ago on a Thursday at around 5:30 pm. Note the watering truck and how few people are there. There are some shadows but I just used a clear lense in my goggles.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

8/21/2018 10:53 PM

ML512 wrote:

If someone says Glen Helen after reading the title and not his comment... laughing

MBR wrote:

To be honest the Glen Helen isn't that rough on practice days that everyone seem to claim. If someone is going to ride one ...more

I would agree with this fully. The only thing is Thursday morning is tough because there are so many really fast guys on the main track it's hard to not feel like you are just in the way. You can ride the REM track but it's not that great and not watered as well.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

8/22/2018 6:36 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I never heard about the 5pm deal at GH. You can ride till sunset?

Myke wrote:

Here are a couple pictures from a few weeks ago on a Thursday at around 5:30 pm. Note the watering truck and how few people ...more

I’ll have to give this a shot. I don’t mind the track or roughness, I just don’t like riding with the fast guys early in the day because they are going balls out!

|

8/22/2018 12:56 PM

Awesome feedback, thanks a lot guys!

|

8/22/2018 6:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/22/2018 6:46 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I never heard about the 5pm deal at GH. You can ride till sunset?

Myke wrote:

Here are a couple pictures from a few weeks ago on a Thursday at around 5:30 pm. Note the watering truck and how few people ...more

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I’ll have to give this a shot. I don’t mind the track or roughness, I just don’t like riding with the fast guys early in the ...more

|

8/22/2018 6:47 PM

flyinb501 wrote:

Awesome feedback, thanks a lot guys!

where did you ride?

|

8/22/2018 7:21 PM

flyinb501 wrote:

Awesome feedback, thanks a lot guys!

barnett468 wrote:

where did you ride?

I still haven't decided between Glen Helen and milestone... I'm going next month.

|