Best Power Washer?

Mod Killer
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:31am
The old one took a shit. Need to get a new one.

What does everyone use/recommend?

Id prefer gas powered. And one that has a somewhat flexible hose.

thx.
|
Josh422
7/2/2011 1:15pm
I wore out my gas one and replaced with electric thinking I'd get 4 months out of it. It's muddy up here so the thing has been abused... 2 years later still kicking and I'm not blowing off the stickers.

I say try an electric one....
newmann
7/2/2011 1:22pm
Budget? How much of your money can we spend?Smile
Mod Killer
7/2/2011 1:26pm
newmann wrote:
Budget? How much of your money can we spend?Smile
haha....ive never had one of my own (just used my roommates) so i dont even know what they cost or where to buy em.

i prefer quality over cheap. i dont wanna be buying one every 6 months. both me and my roommate have bikes, and ride most days of the week between the two of us. so this thing is going to get used A LOT.

The Shop

newmann
7/2/2011 1:51pm
There are a lot of them out there and a lot of junk. Just because they put a Honda engine on them doesn't necessarily mean it is a good unit. First off, the Honda GX390 engine always runs. That would be the 13 hp engine so that's a good starting point. Look for a pump that is serviceable and parts are available for. The one I have has a Comet direct drive pump and I can get anything I need for it just down the block from my business. Best part though is that I haven't needed anything for it since purchasing it about two years ago. Not cheap, but don't spend money on a throw away brand.

http://bepressure.com/items?a=1&category=44&subcategory=3&item=44
Mod Killer
7/2/2011 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2011 3:33pm
thx for the suggestion newman. how much is that one u recommend?

im kinda suprised that the tracks dont have pressure washing stations that you could pay for to wash ur bike right there at the track.

i wish i wouldve put bubba's or pourcel's or ddavis' name in the title of this thread. wouldve gotten some more views and thus suggestions probably.
CamP
7/2/2011 4:01pm
I've had a Brute 2200 for about 10 years and it's always worked like a champ. Made in the USA and runs $230 at Walmart. Brute 2200
7/2/2011 4:05pm
I have had gas and electric. Electric is so much better quiet no maintenance. When they go bad just buy a knew one and throw the other one away. Performance is pretty good too! There cheap. Just need a gen at the track!
7/2/2011 5:51pm
Here's how my last two gas Karchers ended up.

I have an electric Karcher from Wal-Mart that had to be replaced under warranty. It quit again after about two months. Ended up chopping off the circuit breaker plug and replacing it with a regular plug. Now it works fine. I do have a Craftsman that I bought on sale and got a warranty for $100. It's been back to Sears twice. I just keep renewing the warranty. The two Karcher "fans" work great though.
redrider400
7/2/2011 7:00pm
Josh422 wrote:
I wore out my gas one and replaced with electric thinking I'd get 4 months out of it. It's muddy up here so the thing has...
I wore out my gas one and replaced with electric thinking I'd get 4 months out of it. It's muddy up here so the thing has been abused... 2 years later still kicking and I'm not blowing off the stickers.

I say try an electric one....
I second that. I bought the best Karcher that Wal-mart had (which was still cheap) and it has worked flawlessly for over a year now and even has enough power to clean the driveway really well. Although it is far from the pressure from a gas powered.
skidsteer16
7/2/2011 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2011 9:18pm
Mod, have a look at this place...Pressure Washers Direct (Huge selection is an understatement)

I picked up this Karcher Gas Model from them earlier this year after my Craftsman went bad on me after 3 years (Pump went bad...not sure why as I always weather proofed it come winter time). That Karcher I got is a little overkill for bikes but I use it for cleaning decks and other surfaces on a pretty regular basis also. It's been great thus far.
rohleder644
7/2/2011 7:16pm
I have a gas karcher. I'm both surprised and bummed to see mike's post as mine has worked flawlessly for 5+ years now. I use it for bikes, boats, cars, decks, etc. Gets a lot of use. I really enjoy the easily switched nozzles. Also, the soap pump works well, however I rarely use it. Can't beat a good hand scrubbing. I have had to replace a couple parts that were easily accessible from my local hardware store. My only complaint.....I had to debadge the honda emblems as I am a yamaha guy haha
rohleder644
7/2/2011 7:20pm
Oh, and if you're into supporting the sport, check out titan industrial. Randy hawkins' (of yamaha off-road fame) dad is involved with them. Not sure of his title, I met him in a rep sort of scenario, but I think he is sort of a big wig.
scooterB
7/2/2011 7:36pm
minidad160 wrote:
I have had gas and electric. Electric is so much better quiet no maintenance. When they go bad just buy a knew one and throw the...
I have had gas and electric. Electric is so much better quiet no maintenance. When they go bad just buy a knew one and throw the other one away. Performance is pretty good too! There cheap. Just need a gen at the track!
+1 for disposable electrics...the amurican way
fcr
7/2/2011 9:13pm
I just bought a Rigid 3000psi from Home Depot. Has the Subaru engine and a Cat pump/ rebuildable. Been looking at them for awhile now and it will do what I need. I wanted a Honda engine but couldn't find many different brands around me that fit the bill. So far it has worked very well for me. Since you are in OC you will be able to find a better selection.
My 1600 Husky electric works great for bike washing and wasn't expensive, It is going on about 8-10 years too. I hate the inflexible hose though.
PaleBlue
7/2/2011 10:47pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2011 10:48pm
Mod Killer wrote:
thx for the suggestion newman. how much is that one u recommend? im kinda suprised that the tracks dont have pressure washing stations that you could...
thx for the suggestion newman. how much is that one u recommend?

im kinda suprised that the tracks dont have pressure washing stations that you could pay for to wash ur bike right there at the track.

i wish i wouldve put bubba's or pourcel's or ddavis' name in the title of this thread. wouldve gotten some more views and thus suggestions probably.
Did sombody say DDavis?
Well M.K.(my astute buddySmile heres my 2c's worth,
I've had the Gas powered Karcher, it lasted about five years but is was a bit heavy and more importantly, a bit more powerful than necessary for cleaning the bike - it forced water into places I didn't want it to be and cut short the life of bearings etc. Since we take a generator with us everywhere anyway, we now use the cheapest electric washer I can get. It does the job just fine, the bearings last much longer, it weighs less, is smaller and beig less powerfull used water more slowly. The cheap electric tend to last about 18 months, but at a tenth of the cost of the gas Karcher thats still a better deal.
Mod Killer
7/2/2011 10:50pm
i hate the inflexible hose as well. im guessing they are all that way tho?

im kinda interested in the electric ones from the sounds of things.
Outsider
7/2/2011 11:12pm
Mod Killer wrote:
i hate the inflexible hose as well. im guessing they are all that way tho? im kinda interested in the electric ones from the sounds of...

Karcher
Void Main
7/3/2011 5:05am
Where's R-acer when you need a pressure washer expert?

machine
7/3/2011 5:55am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2011 5:55am
First of all, they are all pieces of junk in my opinion. I had an "old" Karcher that lasted a long time then finally crapped out. I went and bought another one thinking they were still the same, well like everything else they were junk. I bought a factory refurbished one an it didn't work right out of the box, then returned it for another and same thing.

Then I said screw it and bought a Snap-on from Costco and same thing! I plugged the fugger in and no pressure, I was like wtf. I was on the verge of completely giving up on electrics and biting the bullet and spending the money on a gas model and decided to try one more electric model. I bought one of these and it has been working fine for about 2 years now.
http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Powerwasher-PWS1850-E-Pressure-Washer/p6538.html

One thing to keep in mind about electric washers is that they are not designed for continuous duty. I have been told by the people in the link i posted that you should only use an electric for no more than 30 min at a time. That's what ruins most of them they said.
Void Main
7/3/2011 6:20am
I hate to reveal what I use because I don't want to jinx the good luck I have had with it but here is the one I have been using for about the last 5 years:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Karcher-K-3.98-1750-PSI-Electric-P…

I believe I bought it at Walmart but cannot remember for sure. I have burned up the pumps on a couple of gas models and then went cheap and bought this one. So far it's the best one I've ever had. Although it is a lower end model it has washed many bikes, probably about a dozen deck washings and I've power washed the side of the house (vinyl) a half dozen times. It works as good today as it did when I bought it. I assume I have just been lucky on this one.
`ol Ger
7/3/2011 6:38am
KEW are good.

Cat pumps are also very good.
lumpy790
7/3/2011 6:58am
I kill the home electric one just about every year so I go cheap......need to stop forgetting to drain & put it in the garage it in the winter so it does not freeze.

For the track I use the gas/electric (built in generator) Karcher with a hose/reel that comes out the small door under the BIG S of the truck.

LowPsi
7/3/2011 8:09am
You want to make sure that you get one that has enough PSI to run a true FAN spray tip. Some of the lower psi electric models use an oscillating ball in socket tip with a needle spray to create a "fake fan" and to compensate for the lack for psi. These can damage surfaces.
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
7/3/2011 8:13am
Lot of sales around town this weekend. Check out Kragen. I bought an electric Karcher or some brand for $60 about 12 years ago and it still runs strong. You will need to replace some O-Rings but other then that it has been stellar.
worcsracer808
7/3/2011 9:12am

Snap on Electric, had it over a year, so far so good, has a nice detergent tank on it you can pour like simple green or somethin and wash without the pressure with the detergent and water, then turn the pressure on and blast it all off, works pretty good for sure, used it at the races too just plugged it into the trailer. Got it from Costco around 150 bucks I think. Nice unit for sure.
fcr
7/3/2011 1:07pm
Mod Killer wrote:
i hate the inflexible hose as well. im guessing they are all that way tho? im kinda interested in the electric ones from the sounds of...

I think most now come with a flex hose, the snap-on above looks good. Also the electric plug/breaker, DON'T treat it rough. THey break easily. One of our workers used our Husky about 6 yrs ago and broke it. Just kept dropping it and throwing it around.
jeffro503
7/3/2011 3:56pm
I bought a slightly used electric Husky 1800psi pressure washer a few months ago for $75.00 on craigs list. Best $75.00 I ever spent. I didn't want anything over 2000-2200psi anyways.......as anything over that starts to push the dirt into the bearings.
observer
7/3/2011 4:18pm
Gave Karcher a try here, worked fine for about a season or so and the pump laid down and died. Motor was fine, pump seals went away I was told by Karchers "tech help" people. Parts would've cost around 90 bucks(didn't give but about $140 on eBay. Forget it.

Bought a gasoline powered Honda/Craftsman at Sears. Works great. Much more press too-which comes in handy around the house too. One thing I do now is...let water run through hose, pump cavity before I even start the engine. THEN...after I start the Honda (vanilla, "dept store" eng-I realize it's not a geniune issue-sort of like the Home Depot, or Lowes John Deeres w/ Briggs engs, not the geniune issue, only available at JD dealers w/ Kawa engs-this Honda was produced on the cheap for low end power eqpt)..anyway, I immediately put my finger on the throttle lever (that auto linkage puts eng to full throttle at cold start up-which I don't like)let warm up a bit before I let that thing go full throttle. So far, so good.

I think it's largely luck of the draw...unless you go top shelf eqpt. Just remember, you may spend more on the front end for good eqpt, but save yourself headaches, bitchfest days-for years. :-)
Take care.
skidsteer16
7/3/2011 4:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2011 4:57pm
Turbo nozzles are where it's at for cleaning bikes with the lower pressure units. I have to use a 45º nozzle with my higher pressure unit.

Post a reply to: Best Power Washer?

The Latest