BETA byob

3/17/2016 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 2:05pm
The "build your own bike" option that BETA USA offers has to be one of the coolest things a mfg has ever offered.

Anyone have much experience with BETA's? What's everyone's opinion quality wise? The Italians can be hit or miss IMO.

My impression of BETA from afar is its a bike with lots of features. A brand that is trying real hard. Not quite at the level of performance as a Husky/Orange Husky but might get there soon.
|
EastFlorida
3/17/2016 4:51pm
We hav an active Beta dealer supporting Hare Scrambles in FL. Some guys have switched over and are doing very well. No real complaints but the local suspension guys had to figure out a few things for our unique conditions. Response is very positive and I wouldn't hesitate to consider one. Very torque oriented, so they fall a little short on wide open runs. If it's tight, you can't really beat them.
Pirate421
3/17/2016 5:01pm
I really like them some of the pros delete some of the enduro features like lights and rear tail and even the e-start (I'd keep that)
They come with some pretty good parts too. FMF exhaust, nice rims, e start and priced a little cheaper than the ktm or huskys

TallonT911
3/17/2016 5:45pm
Rode them in 13-14 for the Purvines team racing NHHA. Pretty stable bikes, don't turn the greatest, the bottom end is amazing, you almost don't even need to use the clutch!

JW381
3/17/2016 5:58pm
I'd consider one if I had the cash. I was told TM has a byob program

The Shop

lumpy790
3/17/2016 6:02pm
Cycle Max in Gaithersburg MD is doing well with them! They just ordered 2 more hose kits from us today.
cag33
3/17/2016 7:44pm
When I first got it. Has been an excellent bike, almost like cheating.

Johnny Depp
3/17/2016 9:12pm
The Build Your Own Bike program is great for a few reasons. You get a credit for some of the parts you choose to upgrade, others that Beta has no use for they ship with the bike. The install labor is FREE. You also have the convenience of knowing what fits and it's all in one place. The distributor calls and emails beforehand to make sure everything is correct and offer input. The bikes are discounted off of MSRP upfront no matter how small of an option you choose.

Problems:

The 300's are sold out for the year, several other models are almost sold out.
The dealer network is iffy in places, but owners don't seem to care since warranty problems are non existent.
It is a hassle having people always hanging around your pit and chicks stopping you to have their picture taken posing on your bike.

Pros:

Shorter seat height
torque monsters with no flame outs
6 speed WR gearboxes
Electric start and kickstart
own the inside line
OK I'll stop here, and I don't recommend anyone running the Vet class in Central TX consider one ever.

3/18/2016 12:40pm
TallonT911 wrote:
Rode them in 13-14 for the Purvines team racing NHHA. Pretty stable bikes, don't turn the greatest, the bottom end is amazing, you almost don't even...
Rode them in 13-14 for the Purvines team racing NHHA. Pretty stable bikes, don't turn the greatest, the bottom end is amazing, you almost don't even need to use the clutch!

The white plastics look great with the red frame/forks. Who does afternarket plastics for BETAs? Polisport Im assuming?
JW381
3/18/2016 1:00pm
The Build Your Own Bike program is great for a few reasons. You get a credit for some of the parts you choose to upgrade, others...
The Build Your Own Bike program is great for a few reasons. You get a credit for some of the parts you choose to upgrade, others that Beta has no use for they ship with the bike. The install labor is FREE. You also have the convenience of knowing what fits and it's all in one place. The distributor calls and emails beforehand to make sure everything is correct and offer input. The bikes are discounted off of MSRP upfront no matter how small of an option you choose.

Problems:

The dealer network is iffy in places, but owners don't seem to care since warranty problems are non existent.
It is a hassle having people always hanging around your pit and chicks stopping you to have their picture taken posing on your bike.

Pros:

Shorter seat height
6 speed WR gearboxes
own the inside line
OK I'll stop here, and I don't recommend anyone running the Vet class in Central TX consider one ever.

Laughing
Hman144
Fantasy
798th
3/18/2016 1:53pm
Jabroni-

Check out these guys-

http://www.southmountaincycleshop.com/

Riders that ride selling rides to other riders.

Depending upon what area of Philly you hail from, they may be only an hour or so from you.
Schipwreck
3/18/2016 8:22pm
The only USA importer is 5 min from my house....They do all the byob mods in the shop there then ship to your local dealer for final assembly. Naturally there is tons of them in our area including a few buddy's since we also have a dealer in the same town. Here's a few notable details iv'e noticed.

What i can say is they have come a LONG way in the last few years as far as handling and ergo's. They are HEAVY aside from the 300rr...BUT the newer models don't feel heavy riding, as the mass is lower than most bikes. You mostly notice it loading them or throwing it up on a stand.They are trail/single track weapons.. turn great and the motors are mapped for offroad broad mellow power. Forget mx/sx as they are definitely not built for that. They are great for shorter guy's..not so much for 5'10'' and up. Although there sticker price is lower than a ktm, dealers will not "deal'' on them unless you know somebody, so you end up paying more in most cases. They are an exotic so the cool/rare factor might make the extra price worth it for you. Most bling parts and accessories are available now but they take a little more effort to find than other bikes, some only available directly through Beta. YES they do have some bugs..But there warranty program is solid and they stand behind their bikes if something fails outside of the ordinary wear parts. Hope that helps all i can think of for now...
TallonT911
3/18/2016 9:16pm
The white plastics look great with the red frame/forks. Who does afternarket plastics for BETAs? Polisport Im assuming?
I'm not sure who does aftermarket plastics, in '13 they came stock with white plastic
jeffro503
3/18/2016 9:40pm
Tell you guys what....them Beta's are some awesome looking machines! I've seen a couple up close and the fit-N-finish on those things look top notch. I freakin' love the color patterns on them more than any bike available as well.
MaicoJC1
3/19/2016 1:08pm
Hman144 wrote:
Jabroni- Check out these guys- http://www.southmountaincycleshop.com/ Riders that ride selling rides to other riders. Depending upon what area of Philly you hail from, they may be...
Jabroni-

Check out these guys-

http://www.southmountaincycleshop.com/

Riders that ride selling rides to other riders.

Depending upon what area of Philly you hail from, they may be only an hour or so from you.
I bought my 15 300RR from these guys. Best bike I've ever owned.

Johnny Depp
3/20/2016 8:05am

All but 5 of the 14 '16 models are currently not available for BYOB due to dealer demand. There may be another build run in Italy of 300's TBD. If you want one you need to go dealer direct or get a deposit on the '17's.

2-Strokes (none)

n X-Trainer
n 250RR
n 300RR
n 250 Race Edition
n 300 Race Edition

4-Strokes (5 models)

y 350RR
n 390RR
y 430RR
n 480RR

y 350 Race Edition
n 430 Race Edition
n 480 Race Edition

y 430RS Dual Sport
y 500RS Dual Sport

http://www.betausa.com/content/welcome-byob

LungButter
3/20/2016 8:12am
Haven't ridden one personally, but I know a guy who races off road on one, he put 150+ hours on his last year on one top end, no major issues, he loves it. He rides a 300 2 stroke.

Although, he says it has kind of an "old school" feel, just not quite as aggressive as a Jap bike or KTM/Husky.

They sure are pretty! My biggest fear would be issues finding parts when you need them, but maybe that's not a problem?
Johnny Depp
3/20/2016 8:28am
Parts are not an issue. It is just like any other make. They have proven to be very reliable. There is nothing old school about the feel, I race one and have ridden all the new KTM's at the demo day and swapping bikes with friends.

Here is a good test on the '16 300, it's reviews like this that have them selling out.

http://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2016-beta-300rr/

3/20/2016 8:56am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2016 9:01am
I own the 2015 Beta 450 RR Race Ready Edition. The only reason I bought the Race Ready version was for the Marzocchi forks, which are considerably better than the standard Sachs forks. To get the Marzocchi forks on a standard Beta 450 RR through the BYOB thing, it was actually MORE expensive than just buying the Race Ready edition. I thought this was kinda stupid, especially since I didn't really want all the other fancy bells & whistles that come with the Race Ready edition (e.g. all the red anodized crap). I have noticed I'm about 15% faster with the red anodized parts through, so perhaps an underappreciated benefit.

For me that completely negated the BYOB deal. It really offered nothing of any advantage or convenience for me. All of that being said, my Beta 450 is without a doubt the best enduro bike I've ever owned. After having ridden and raced Hondas, KTMs and Kawasakis for many years, the Beta is by far the best handling enduro bike of them all. On the track is a different story. The Sachs shock just kinda sucks in my opinion. I had TBT Racing tune the suspension and I just can't get the rear shock to work the way I like, which makes the bike not all that great on a motocross track or in motocross like conditions where you might want to use the rear shock a bit more. I might try a heavier spring but I just don't have much faith in the Sachs shock for motocross purposes. I understand you can put a Ohlins shock on it by adapting some Honda parts apparently. Probably rather just buy a motocross specific bike at that point.

Fantastic bike. BYOB may not be the best route for some people. Perhaps it works for others. Do the math first to figure it out with your dealer.
Johnny Depp
3/20/2016 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2016 1:07pm
Most people find the Beta's less expensive than Orange and White unless you talk about leftover's.

BYOB isn't going to suit everyone, but if you want the springs changed you actually get to buy the bike for under MSRP after the discount is applied, not bad at all.

The Marzocchi forks are now replaced by the closed cartridge Sachs with great reviews. You are right about the price of a fork swap, it's better to go Race Edition if you want closed cartridge, although the open cartridge Sachs perform very well. The same for the shock, although it's spring is typically too light for most by quite a bit. You can get a Fox shock with a few hundred dollar credit for your Sachs.

Don't give up on the MX capability without giving it a chance. What handles on the trail also handles on the track. At 210 lbs I am running a 6.0 spring and 49 front although that is a tad firm for offroad. I have had great luck both front and rear on the Sachs with nothing but springs and oil. The 480 is a holeshot monster (I think your's is a 430?) and it gobbles whoops like nothing I've ridden. Jumps are more limited by me than the bike...

The fact that my '15 500 RS can MX competitively, Scramble, Enduro, Trail, and 2 up street riding is icing on the cake. I got 2 sets of wheels to make for quick change from dirt to street.

D20 MX Rio Bravo Sept '15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ks4iXMkBT4
kiwifan
3/20/2016 12:53pm
My mate has a Beta 2 stroke, damn nice bike!
3/20/2016 4:02pm
The Build Your Own Bike program is great for a few reasons. You get a credit for some of the parts you choose to upgrade, others...

Problems:

Pros:

Shorter seat height
6 speed WR gearboxes
own the inside line

The free labor and deal on the bike/parts is totally fucking awesome. Huge savings.
3/20/2016 4:07pm
I own the 2015 Beta 450 RR Race Ready Edition. The only reason I bought the Race Ready version was for the Marzocchi forks, which are...
I own the 2015 Beta 450 RR Race Ready Edition. The only reason I bought the Race Ready version was for the Marzocchi forks, which are considerably better than the standard Sachs forks. To get the Marzocchi forks on a standard Beta 450 RR through the BYOB thing, it was actually MORE expensive than just buying the Race Ready edition. I thought this was kinda stupid, especially since I didn't really want all the other fancy bells & whistles that come with the Race Ready edition (e.g. all the red anodized crap). I have noticed I'm about 15% faster with the red anodized parts through, so perhaps an underappreciated benefit.

For me that completely negated the BYOB deal. It really offered nothing of any advantage or convenience for me. All of that being said, my Beta 450 is without a doubt the best enduro bike I've ever owned. After having ridden and raced Hondas, KTMs and Kawasakis for many years, the Beta is by far the best handling enduro bike of them all. On the track is a different story. The Sachs shock just kinda sucks in my opinion. I had TBT Racing tune the suspension and I just can't get the rear shock to work the way I like, which makes the bike not all that great on a motocross track or in motocross like conditions where you might want to use the rear shock a bit more. I might try a heavier spring but I just don't have much faith in the Sachs shock for motocross purposes. I understand you can put a Ohlins shock on it by adapting some Honda parts apparently. Probably rather just buy a motocross specific bike at that point.

Fantastic bike. BYOB may not be the best route for some people. Perhaps it works for others. Do the math first to figure it out with your dealer.
The BYOB deal wouldve had them set the suspension up for your weight/abilities.

The Race Ready model is going to come with a OEM setting that may or may not work with you personally.

So I'd say there is a good value in the BYOB deal even if it seems more expensive up front.
3/20/2016 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/20/2016 7:53pm
Schipwreck wrote:
The only USA importer is 5 min from my house....They do all the byob mods in the shop there then ship to your local dealer for...
The only USA importer is 5 min from my house....They do all the byob mods in the shop there then ship to your local dealer for final assembly. Naturally there is tons of them in our area including a few buddy's since we also have a dealer in the same town. Here's a few notable details iv'e noticed.

What i can say is they have come a LONG way in the last few years as far as handling and ergo's. They are HEAVY aside from the 300rr...BUT the newer models don't feel heavy riding, as the mass is lower than most bikes. You mostly notice it loading them or throwing it up on a stand.They are trail/single track weapons.. turn great and the motors are mapped for offroad broad mellow power. Forget mx/sx as they are definitely not built for that. They are great for shorter guy's..not so much for 5'10'' and up. Although there sticker price is lower than a ktm, dealers will not "deal'' on them unless you know somebody, so you end up paying more in most cases. They are an exotic so the cool/rare factor might make the extra price worth it for you. Most bling parts and accessories are available now but they take a little more effort to find than other bikes, some only available directly through Beta. YES they do have some bugs..But there warranty program is solid and they stand behind their bikes if something fails outside of the ordinary wear parts. Hope that helps all i can think of for now...
It seems these wouldnt make for a bad MX bike. The steel frame is a true enduro frame that has lots of feel.

The aluminum Japanese bikes are pretty much built stiff for SX and do a disservice to the avg weekend warrior on the MX track. And the KTM's are getting stiffer and stiffer each year (especially the FE's) and at some point are going to lose what made them so nice for the average rider.

I would think a frame with too much flex is a nicer problem to have than a frame with too little.

Im not sure if KTM makes a different frame for their enduro bikes vs their MX/SX bikes. If so, then a KTM is still the happy medium if you want a do-it-all bike.

I'd like some further explanation on why you (or others) think a BETA (or any other true enduro framed bike) couldnt be set up to be functional (and even a advantage) for the average C or B rider at the weekend MX races?

How many of us out here REALLY need a super stiff frame?
Johnny Depp
3/20/2016 7:28pm
It's time to stop bagging on the Sachs suspension just because you or the suspension shop is unfamiliar with it. A lot of riders set it up like all other 12" travel MX bikes and with 10" of travel that is a big mistake. the sag should be less, 1/3 of total travel, more than that and the front end is too choppered out to turn correctly.

The chassis is an inside line demon when set up correctly and never headshakes. The suspension is superior to all the WP's I have ridden and swapped bikes with, and they say the same thing.

The engines are set up for torque, it's great for the Vet class although MXA would always say add a few teeth to the sprocket, I go the other way and shift a lot less with a 480 that could easily be a 4 speed and saves your forearms and makes you able to go harder longer.
3/21/2016 6:55am
It's time to stop bagging on the Sachs suspension just because you or the suspension shop is unfamiliar with it. A lot of riders set it...
It's time to stop bagging on the Sachs suspension just because you or the suspension shop is unfamiliar with it. A lot of riders set it up like all other 12" travel MX bikes and with 10" of travel that is a big mistake. the sag should be less, 1/3 of total travel, more than that and the front end is too choppered out to turn correctly.

The chassis is an inside line demon when set up correctly and never headshakes. The suspension is superior to all the WP's I have ridden and swapped bikes with, and they say the same thing.

The engines are set up for torque, it's great for the Vet class although MXA would always say add a few teeth to the sprocket, I go the other way and shift a lot less with a 480 that could easily be a 4 speed and saves your forearms and makes you able to go harder longer.
Thanks for the tip on that. I will give that a shot next time I ride it. Like I said, the bike is the best enduro bike I've ever had and I do love it on vet MX style tracks. It's big, peaky booters where I feel really uncomfortable on the bike and it's largely the rear shock. I'll change the sag as you suggested to see if that helps. I love the forks and everything else about the bike.
4/28/2018 6:42pm
This just came out for Beta... I'm ok with what I have but now thinking maybe I'll try one of these setups to upgrade my Beta 300 rr 2015 in the future. It's bring your forks/shock to the dealer for used bikes besides brand new bikes .. You sent your suspension in for factory tuning as well for your weight and riding style.. Nice!!!.

https://betausa.com/content/beta-suspension

Ty Cullins is liking his suspension done by Beta..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhC_ORcnqXb/?taken-by=ty_cullins16
4/29/2018 12:25am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2018 12:36am
I see these 300’s aren’t to bad. Anybody have one of these???? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/28/258185/s1200_FE707EAB_76BB_4CB4_A0B1_2A2CEE536243.jpg[/img]
I see these 300’s aren’t to bad. Anybody have one of these????
Yea I guess they might be good . So are the new KTM, Husky, Sherco etc. great bikes but none have BYOB where you can have a bike customized for you from the factory before you even get to ride it. Plus now Beta owners can go to their dealer and get their suspension sent in to be done too. No other company is offering that.

https://www.betausa.com/content/welcome-byob

https://betausa.com/content/beta-suspension
Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
4/29/2018 2:05pm
My wife has a 16 Beta 300 and she loves it. She had a CRF250X and a KTM350SXF but now just rides the Beta everywhere instead. Great bike for sure!

Post a reply to: BETA byob

The Latest