Aprilia MXV450

nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2012 10:53am
Anyone ridden one, whats it like? I've been bitten by the Italian bike bug, so far this winter I've added a new TM 450MX and a new leftover 09 MXV450 to the stable. In my defence I sold my WR300 to make room. I'll probablynever sell my CR165, its my favorite bike of all time.

Can't decide if I should ice race the Aprilia, try MXing it or park it in my living room. I'm tempted to keep it new.
|
11/18/2012 2:02pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Anyone ridden one, whats it like? I've been bitten by the Italian bike bug, so far this winter I've added a new TM 450MX and a...
Anyone ridden one, whats it like? I've been bitten by the Italian bike bug, so far this winter I've added a new TM 450MX and a new leftover 09 MXV450 to the stable. In my defence I sold my WR300 to make room. I'll probablynever sell my CR165, its my favorite bike of all time.

Can't decide if I should ice race the Aprilia, try MXing it or park it in my living room. I'm tempted to keep it new.
You ever driven a boat on land? Grinning

I've always wanted one just to know what it's like to ride a twin cylinder MX bike that looks like a work of art, not a production model.
darius228
Posts
99
Joined
10/21/2011
Location
Arlington, WA, USA
11/18/2012 3:10pm
I won one at a local Supercross race this summer, I sold it right away, all I can say about it is that it was a beautiful bike and on my hot lap down the road it was without a doubt faster than my yz450
Hallzilla
Posts
937
Joined
1/21/2011
Location
Langtown, CA, USA
11/18/2012 3:31pm
Sorry to hear this.
HuskyEd
Posts
5231
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Palmdale, CA, USA
11/18/2012 4:19pm
Those bikes sounded so different. Watched Josh Coppins race it at the USGP and MXdN. Can't knock Aprilia for trying something different.

The Shop

motogrady
Posts
3931
Joined
1/27/2008
Location
USA
11/18/2012 5:18pm
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in.

After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years MX series, and won a championship on it,
why even have the homo rule?

If they didn't break the rule in writing, they sure broke it in spirit.

I don't care what they say, Dungey had the only one in the USA,
and he ran it. That's what the rule is supposed to stop.
The reasoning that "400 were available at years end", is utter BS.

GasGas, Hyuaberg, Husky, Aprilla, TM, every one should be out there.
6-wheelz
Posts
116
Joined
5/20/2012
Location
Kings Mountain, NC, USA
11/18/2012 5:24pm
motogrady wrote:
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in. After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years...
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in.

After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years MX series, and won a championship on it,
why even have the homo rule?

If they didn't break the rule in writing, they sure broke it in spirit.

I don't care what they say, Dungey had the only one in the USA,
and he ran it. That's what the rule is supposed to stop.
The reasoning that "400 were available at years end", is utter BS.

GasGas, Hyuaberg, Husky, Aprilla, TM, every one should be out there.
AMEN brother MXer
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
11/18/2012 5:26pm
motogrady wrote:
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in. After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years...
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in.

After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years MX series, and won a championship on it,
why even have the homo rule?

If they didn't break the rule in writing, they sure broke it in spirit.

I don't care what they say, Dungey had the only one in the USA,
and he ran it. That's what the rule is supposed to stop.
The reasoning that "400 were available at years end", is utter BS.

GasGas, Hyuaberg, Husky, Aprilla, TM, every one should be out there.
Not by end of year, just by the end of the SX season. It's like the one year works bike exemption rule that keeps on giving and giving. The AMA, well they are a bunch of genasses.
ATKpilot99
Posts
10502
Joined
4/13/2010
Location
Lake Geneva, WI, USA
11/18/2012 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2012 5:27pm
motogrady wrote:
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in. After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years...
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in.

After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years MX series, and won a championship on it,
why even have the homo rule?

If they didn't break the rule in writing, they sure broke it in spirit.

I don't care what they say, Dungey had the only one in the USA,
and he ran it. That's what the rule is supposed to stop.
The reasoning that "400 were available at years end", is utter BS.

GasGas, Hyuaberg, Husky, Aprilla, TM, every one should be out there.
They'd also need to lift the rule banning twins to get the Aprilia in.
newmann
Posts
24437
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
USA
11/18/2012 5:28pm
And by the way, that Aprilia is one sexy redhead.
leeroy
Posts
150
Joined
6/14/2007
Location
corona, CA, USA
11/18/2012 5:34pm
i wonder how much a leftover is , i like the looks of that bike...
DVL214
Posts
5
Joined
7/22/2009
Location
Lawrence, KS, USA
11/18/2012 6:14pm
I had one for a few months. The bike worked pretty well. Very strong motor . They sound wicked. It would draw a crowd for sure. There are still some crated 2009s available. I would call your closest dealer.
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
11/18/2012 6:27pm
I was in charge of dirtbikes from 2006 to 2008 in the Suzuki Dealership I was working, that was also a Group Piaggio Dealership.

We were selling the very first SXV's 450 and 550 and the RXV 450.

Bike was limited when it was brand new, so I had to remove some small tubes in the silencer (which it was under the rear fender), in the fuel system and in the throttle grip.

Sound was AWESOME, a mixture between a Suzuki V650 and scooter. I got goosebumps every time I think about this bike.

I tested it around the city in July, with almost 40º C, and my ass was burning. The temperature from the silencer was huge and I thought was uncomfortable. The very first years had that strange swing-arm and the rear wheel was HUGE. Very nasty bike, but a nightmare to keep it on service.

I was sent to the Aprilia Central in Madrid, and attended some courses. Technicians told as to change pistons and rings every 35hours!!!

Price was ridiculous and even then, when Spanish crisis wasn't as bad as it is, that bike was too expensive and waaay crazy for a privateer.

Hope they changed, but all the time I was there, Aprilia Spain told us that they were testing that engine for a future MotoGP2 category.
zookie
Posts
344
Joined
8/23/2008
Location
Anytown, GU, USA
11/18/2012 6:33pm
I used to have an SXV5.5 (supermoto bike). I would never, ever, ever, ever buy another. What an unreliable POS. Sexy bike, fun to ride when it ran, but it is a pain in the ass POS.
wydopen
Posts
1306
Joined
8/17/2011
Location
805, CA, USA
11/18/2012 7:12pm
my friend had the supermoto version..had nothing but problems..sold it..
wydopen
Posts
1306
Joined
8/17/2011
Location
805, CA, USA
11/18/2012 7:16pm
my friend had the supermoto version..had nothing but problems..he got rid of it..
OriolMassot
Posts
516
Joined
12/27/2010
Location
We speak Catalan, AD
11/18/2012 7:34pm
First year in my garage, we sold 8 SXV's.

6 of them where back in the garage after a few months with engine issues.

True story.

Again, it was the very first version, and caused a lot of problems, but hopefully they fixed all of their first mistakes.
Tiki
Posts
10674
Joined
8/1/2006
Location
Corona, CA, USA
Fantasy
11/18/2012 7:44pm
Id sure like to ride the Supermoto 550 for a daily commuter. They say the torque is quiet impressive.
Derpin' DJ
Posts
6420
Joined
5/27/2011
Location
Newcastle, AU
11/18/2012 8:28pm
It'd be interesting to see how a 250F twin cylinder would go.
11/18/2012 8:40pm
I was so in love with these until I heard of the nightmares of engine problems.
nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
11/18/2012 11:17pm
I've heard and read that there were a lot of issues with the 07-08 Sxc and Rxc models, supposedly the 09 Mxc was a major redesign and didn't have the reliability problems. The bike gets knocked for being heavy but its only 237 wet without gas, that's only heavier than the CRF. I expect it to feel 'different' like most boutique bikes do, I just hope its not a turd or I will regret ever putting gas in it and not just keeping it as a showpiece.
Big
Posts
1006
Joined
10/18/2010
Location
SE
11/19/2012 1:05am
Put it in your livingroom or sell the bike to me? We have a Aprilia dealer in my little "town" and owner is 10 time swede champ in roadracing. So he is a superb mechanik. He laughs his ass of when we discuss all problems he had with those. He tried to do some Enduro riding but he got so tired pushing it so he gave up.Tongue BUT!! In my opinion it´s the sexiest MX-bike ever made. It's like Ferraris....good looking but useless. Or a blonde wife?......... just kidding ok? Put it this way? It's like being together with the hottest and horniest girl in town but she is scared of di....s?
PaleBlue
Posts
1529
Joined
6/16/2009
Location
Essex, GB
11/19/2012 1:28am
nytsmaC wrote:
Anyone ridden one, whats it like? I've been bitten by the Italian bike bug, so far this winter I've added a new TM 450MX and a...
Anyone ridden one, whats it like? I've been bitten by the Italian bike bug, so far this winter I've added a new TM 450MX and a new leftover 09 MXV450 to the stable. In my defence I sold my WR300 to make room. I'll probablynever sell my CR165, its my favorite bike of all time.

Can't decide if I should ice race the Aprilia, try MXing it or park it in my living room. I'm tempted to keep it new.
Never mind the Aprillia, concentrate on the TM. Slap a Scalvini twin exit on it and buy some finned casings for it and turn 'special' into 'exotic'. Good luck to you - enjoy the blue ride. (did you choose the Marzocchi or KYB forks?)
steed 2.0
Posts
3481
Joined
9/27/2012
Location
Brabant, NL
11/19/2012 2:21am
Big wrote:
Put it in your livingroom or sell the bike to me? We have a Aprilia dealer in my little "town" and owner is 10 time swede...
Put it in your livingroom or sell the bike to me? We have a Aprilia dealer in my little "town" and owner is 10 time swede champ in roadracing. So he is a superb mechanik. He laughs his ass of when we discuss all problems he had with those. He tried to do some Enduro riding but he got so tired pushing it so he gave up.Tongue BUT!! In my opinion it´s the sexiest MX-bike ever made. It's like Ferraris....good looking but useless. Or a blonde wife?......... just kidding ok? Put it this way? It's like being together with the hottest and horniest girl in town but she is scared of di....s?
here another sexy looking bike but A POS
motogrady
Posts
3931
Joined
1/27/2008
Location
USA
11/19/2012 4:24am
One of the biggest, if not the biggest, dealer is maybe half an hour away.
2 or 3 years ago they had a few 250 GP 2stroke replicas, very, very cool bikes.
(Somehow or another, they tagged them legally.)
Anyway, the new mag got me interested in what they had going on,
so I stopped by, asked if I could shoot a few, and this is what I saw..........







































































motogrady
Posts
3931
Joined
1/27/2008
Location
USA
11/19/2012 4:29am


Extreme Powersports, in Deep Creek Md., I'm told is the largest Aprilia dealer in the USA.

Good guys if anyone's thinking about thinking outside the box..................
burn1986
Posts
12246
Joined
4/16/2010
Location
bossier city, LA, USA
11/19/2012 6:40am
motogrady wrote:
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in. After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years...
They need to change the AMA rules, let them and the other smaller euro stuff in.

After seeing how KTM ran a prototype in last years MX series, and won a championship on it,
why even have the homo rule?

If they didn't break the rule in writing, they sure broke it in spirit.

I don't care what they say, Dungey had the only one in the USA,
and he ran it. That's what the rule is supposed to stop.
The reasoning that "400 were available at years end", is utter BS.

GasGas, Hyuaberg, Husky, Aprilla, TM, every one should be out there.
ATKpilot99 wrote:
They'd also need to lift the rule banning twins to get the Aprilia in.
X2. It would only benefit the sport. The AMA would have to get this approved through the higher ups though.
zookie
Posts
344
Joined
8/23/2008
Location
Anytown, GU, USA
11/19/2012 8:34am
Tiki wrote:
Id sure like to ride the Supermoto 550 for a daily commuter. They say the torque is quiet impressive.
It would be nice until it breaks, or won't start, or runs out of fuel because of a small tank, etc. Cool bike, looks great, fun to ride when it works...but a huge PITA POS to own.
nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
11/19/2012 9:31am
PaleBlue wrote:
Never mind the Aprillia, concentrate on the TM. Slap a Scalvini twin exit on it and buy some finned casings for it and turn 'special' into...
Never mind the Aprillia, concentrate on the TM. Slap a Scalvini twin exit on it and buy some finned casings for it and turn 'special' into 'exotic'. Good luck to you - enjoy the blue ride. (did you choose the Marzocchi or KYB forks?)
Actually the TM is a used, new to me 2011 model, it's got less than 20 hours on it and never been dropped. So it's got the Marzocchi's. I have an extra set of 48mm KYB's with works internals for my Husky and I'll see if they will fit on the TM, I know TM sells a clamp kit but I don't know how different the lugs are. The KYB's are sprung and set up well for me, it saves me trying to set up the Zokes from scratch. No billet finned engine covers for me, it's definitely going to get ridden hard, the Aprilia probably not so much. If it were going to be a ice racer or motard then I'd be more interested in that type of bling but for a MX bike the sand cast cases will do.

nytsmaC
Posts
5946
Joined
8/10/2009
Location
Frig Off, CA
11/19/2012 9:33am
Here's a pic of the MXV, haven't brought it home yet.

Post a reply to: Aprilia MXV450

The Latest