Announcing "Experts" Challenge

Zaugg
Ok...we get it. You guys are announcing experts....or are you???

By a show of hands...how many of you have announced a professional level sport?

Now...how many of you have announced on national television?

Yeah...that's what we thought. (Our guess was none by the way.)

Easy to cast stones when you've never walked an inch (let alone a mile) in a professional announcer's shoes.

Let's see how well you guys would fair by putting your "expert" opinion where your mouth is...

Upload a video of you announcing ONE HEAT RACE from STL to this thread after the race.

While you're at it, make sure to open the broadcast, transition to Daniel or Will, have a natural conversation with your color commentator, and then add personality and informative banter along the way. Don't forget to throw to commercial. Now do it live...no second chances and no editing. Oh yeah, have an earpiece in one ear and have someone barking direction at you mid-sentence periodically.

(I know right??? EASY!!!)

Let's see who's willing to put their "expert" opinion to the test. HAHAHAHA
|
RichieW13
Fantasy
2916th
1/6/2020 3:18pm
Just because somebody hasn't done something doesn't mean they can't notice if somebody else does something well or not.

I can't figure skate, but I can tell that when a figure skater falls down that she made a mistake.
LoudLove
1/6/2020 3:25pm
Day 1? Yeah, I'd stumble all over myself. 5 years into it with countless hours of professional training? Yeah, I'd be pretty damn good...
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
1/6/2020 3:47pm
Well these guys are being paid for it, so they better be good at it.

When you go to a restaurant and the food tasted like shit do you not complain because you can't do it any better yourself?
Autismmx110
1/6/2020 3:57pm
I have!!! I announce Regional and local moto at sunset ridge and Byron along with the pro ATV championship!

The Shop

Zaugg
1/6/2020 4:05pm
All I hear are excuses not to do it.

In this day and age of internet forums and social media, it's easy to criticize (sometimes in inappropriate ways.) The lack of empathy and encouragement is crazy. Super easy to complain...not easy to to say something nice it seems.

Perhaps if you experienced the same comments, many of you would be more thoughtful in your observations.

Motodave15
1/6/2020 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 4:11pm
I bet 500guy would upload a video of himself announcing a race and the legendary Rupertx...

I dont know about all the others, but this sounds tempting, like i want to try it, with no live video of me... But i want to be allowed to smoke and swear while doing this broadcast.
McG194
1/6/2020 4:09pm
That's just silly.

So before I say that a guy jumping through the whoops is losing time compared to the guy skimming the whoops I need to send a video of me blitzing stadium whoops?

Personally even though I'm not a Ricky hater I prefer the Jeffro and Ralph team. I think a booth with RC, Jeff, and Ralph would be pretty interesting.
de883zx
1/6/2020 4:15pm
Zaugg just killed it. Just quit bitching and you fags don’t realize the day staying up till two am watching speed world and waiting for cycle news in the mail or your local D-14. I’m starting to hate vital.
Crush
1/6/2020 4:16pm
These sorts of opinions drive me nuts. Pretending things are unicorns and rainbows does no-one a favour.

It's like Millsaps telling Matthes you go do it then. You're a professional. Be one. Criticism comes if you're not performing, especially past the "honeymoon" phase. If I made mistakes in my job as often as we hear most weekends I'd be fired. Easy as that. Mistakes happen, but when they happen a lot?

AND... it's not like there aren't great commentators and analysts around to compare too, in our sport or others. Fuckin' Weege is doing instagram videos with professionalism and expertise that the SX crew should dream of. Jesus, I don't watch NFL but i've heard ad nauseam about Tony Romo the last year or so.

Credit to RC, he's definitely stepped up. He's not fluid in his speech patterns but that's him. It seems he's putting in some time with research to help his insights though, obvious improvement.
Moto Norcal
1/6/2020 4:19pm
Hmmm..."if you think it's so bad, could you do better?"
This is an intriguing line of inquiry. Revolutionary. I simply have never heard someone make this argument before. Bravo on your thread, Sir!
1/6/2020 4:21pm
Zaugg wrote:
Ok...we get it. You guys are announcing experts....or are you??? By a show of hands...how many of you have announced a professional level sport? Now...how many...
Ok...we get it. You guys are announcing experts....or are you???

By a show of hands...how many of you have announced a professional level sport?

Now...how many of you have announced on national television?

Yeah...that's what we thought. (Our guess was none by the way.)

Easy to cast stones when you've never walked an inch (let alone a mile) in a professional announcer's shoes.

Let's see how well you guys would fair by putting your "expert" opinion where your mouth is...

Upload a video of you announcing ONE HEAT RACE from STL to this thread after the race.

While you're at it, make sure to open the broadcast, transition to Daniel or Will, have a natural conversation with your color commentator, and then add personality and informative banter along the way. Don't forget to throw to commercial. Now do it live...no second chances and no editing. Oh yeah, have an earpiece in one ear and have someone barking direction at you mid-sentence periodically.

(I know right??? EASY!!!)

Let's see who's willing to put their "expert" opinion to the test. HAHAHAHA
We're the audience. We're allowed to be critical. No one is claiming the job is easy, but the challenges of the job and actually being good at it are two different things.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
1/6/2020 4:24pm
Nobody is saying it's easy, most people are saying Weege/Langston and Malin are much more listenable and smoother than Ralph and Ricky. Ricky is at least getting better, but Ralph has been doing this a long time and it still feels like he's about to break into an Oxy Clean pitch after he finishes his story about dinner during a pass for the lead.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
1/6/2020 4:33pm
Crush wrote:
These sorts of opinions drive me nuts. Pretending things are unicorns and rainbows does no-one a favour. It's like Millsaps telling Matthes you go do it...
These sorts of opinions drive me nuts. Pretending things are unicorns and rainbows does no-one a favour.

It's like Millsaps telling Matthes you go do it then. You're a professional. Be one. Criticism comes if you're not performing, especially past the "honeymoon" phase. If I made mistakes in my job as often as we hear most weekends I'd be fired. Easy as that. Mistakes happen, but when they happen a lot?

AND... it's not like there aren't great commentators and analysts around to compare too, in our sport or others. Fuckin' Weege is doing instagram videos with professionalism and expertise that the SX crew should dream of. Jesus, I don't watch NFL but i've heard ad nauseam about Tony Romo the last year or so.

Credit to RC, he's definitely stepped up. He's not fluid in his speech patterns but that's him. It seems he's putting in some time with research to help his insights though, obvious improvement.
Yelling endlessly into the universe also does no one any favors. Especially when it's week after week of the same complaint.
1/6/2020 4:34pm
I’d like to offer some insight on this topic.

The OP is right, speaking about something that’s happening right in front of you is incredibly difficult, so is remembering more than 40 Riders full name and number (have you ever gone blank thinking about someone’s name that you know?)

However, My job is an Actor, I have to learn lines and recite them perfectly, it is also very difficult. BUT that is my job, it’s what I get paid to do and if I can’t do it well I shouldn’t have the job.

I can acknowledge it is incredibly difficult to call a race, I could never do it myself, but I would expect a professional in that field to be able to nail it, yes they may make the odd mistake but it should be uncommon.

For what it’s worth, I like Ralph, I enjoyed having Leigh.
RC is still not at an acceptable level, but he is really improving.
Ralph and Fro had great chemistry together which is also important.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
1/6/2020 4:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 4:40pm
I have. It was one of the hardest things to do ever. With the producer constantly talking in your ear, telling you timelines, info, stats all while you are talking. It’s insane. You can’t rehearse a live racing event. You don’t know what’s going to happen and worse, you only talk about what you are seeing in the monitor, what they are broadcasting.

I get a kick out of everyone on here complaining. Many are completely oblivious to how it works and understand calling a live race in real time. It’s brutal. I don’t care how good you are, you will never please everyone.
BMSOBx2
1/6/2020 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2020 5:38pm
Regis wrote:
I have. It was one of the hardest things to do ever. With the producer constantly talking in your ear, telling you timelines, info, stats all...
I have. It was one of the hardest things to do ever. With the producer constantly talking in your ear, telling you timelines, info, stats all while you are talking. It’s insane. You can’t rehearse a live racing event. You don’t know what’s going to happen and worse, you only talk about what you are seeing in the monitor, what they are broadcasting.

I get a kick out of everyone on here complaining. Many are completely oblivious to how it works and understand calling a live race in real time. It’s brutal. I don’t care how good you are, you will never please everyone.
You don't have to please everyone that's not what it's all about. If you are being paid to do a job, as these people are, particularly in the entertainment industry, shouldn't you be good at it? Bad actors don't last very long in the movie business they end up doing commercials. Should it be any different for race announcers?
JustMX
1/6/2020 6:29pm
I did numerous winter ams, atv nationals, and did the gator back national one time when Larry myers got the flu.

It is harder than some make it out to be.
early
Fantasy
2231st
1/6/2020 7:34pm
GuyB wrote:
Yelling endlessly into the universe also does no one any favors. Especially when it's week after week of the same complaint.
NBC emailed a survey regarding the MX/SX Gold package a couple months ago. I offered some constructive criticisms of the package/broadcast. Maybe they listened...
500guy
1/6/2020 7:42pm
Motodave15 wrote:
I bet 500guy would upload a video of himself announcing a race and the legendary Rupertx... I dont know about all the others, but this sounds...
I bet 500guy would upload a video of himself announcing a race and the legendary Rupertx...

I dont know about all the others, but this sounds tempting, like i want to try it, with no live video of me... But i want to be allowed to smoke and swear while doing this broadcast.
I would have to do it on a Rated R cable show, I'm sure some holy shit did you see that's would pop out.

and some WTF was that guy thinking too.

For the record Ralph doesn't bother me and the new guy doesn't either but lets not pretend it was an improvement.
agn5009
1/6/2020 7:50pm
Heres my theory. Some of you will never be happy.
Hcallz5
1/6/2020 8:20pm
I thought Diffy was awesome especially for his first crack at it. Seems like Ralph would just state the obvious and repeat himself over and over.

I liked how Diffy was talking to Ricky about Justin Cooper giving way to Forkner in the main thinking he was maybe going to retaliate or something. He actually gives some insight.

The only people they'll find that are better would probably be Weege or Langston, those two are naturals in the booth.
KurtJ99
Fantasy
682nd
1/6/2020 8:23pm
Here is what could be done better by the announcing and production team
1) know your riders - some have new numbers and I think it got the team confused sometimes.
2) do the picture in picture of the less important action. I’d say winning the heat or LCQ is less important than a battle for qualifying position.
3) get a cheat sheet of the rules and be an expert - or have one with you. Track excursions should be penalized or have an expert finding in real time. If the penalty is challenged after the race - fine. But if it obvious there is one coming be bold enough to say so and educated enough to be right most of the time.

Post a reply to: Announcing "Experts" Challenge

The Latest