2023 KTM models?

WS728
Fantasy
1293rd
11/22/2021 8:15pm
Pirate421 wrote:
What does everyone think this means for the tpi bikes? Will they be regarded as oddball years and tank the resale? I know some people love...
What does everyone think this means for the tpi bikes? Will they be regarded as oddball years and tank the resale? I know some people love them and some hate them. Or is tbi another measure to meet standards and the tpi could be “better” somehow? Just curious where I’ll be left standing with my XC next year.
Personally, I'm guessing it's the opposite. I don't see pre-mixed TBI passing Euro emissions regulations, but the SX and XC are both competition only bikes, and the XC is US-only and based on the SX platform.

I'm thinking pre-mixed TBI will be the closed-course offering on those bikes, developed for performance reasons and European EXCs (XCWs here) will still be TPI. I suppose it's also possible that our XCWs will get the TBI system, since I believe they're sold as closed-course bikes too, but I think oil injection is a significant selling point for trail riders.

I'm planning to buy the first one I can get my hands on too, but I'm not crazy about the plastic yet, so I guess I'm hoping that Husky or Gas Gas nails the styling. We'll see in a few weeks!
11/22/2021 10:22pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2021 10:38pm
Pirate421 wrote:
What does everyone think this means for the tpi bikes? Will they be regarded as oddball years and tank the resale? I know some people love...
What does everyone think this means for the tpi bikes? Will they be regarded as oddball years and tank the resale? I know some people love them and some hate them. Or is tbi another measure to meet standards and the tpi could be “better” somehow? Just curious where I’ll be left standing with my XC next year.
Looks like TPI and oil injection if emission standards have to be met and TBI with premix for pure competition models. Not sure if that’s going to be the case but it makes sense.
11/22/2021 11:27pm
Here are pics of a 23 250SX from Mantova.
The bike has injection (which one I don‘t know) with a twin cable throttle housing, an electric PV, electric start and the new chassis without oil tank. What‘s interesting is that in the video the bike starts and rides off without a single puff of smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Source: vid from MotoAdviser https://youtu.be/nNHgnbQ7nWk
11/23/2021 12:37am
The area around the water pump has become much simpler without the actuator of the PV.

The Shop

swordfish
11/23/2021 3:20am
Pirate421 wrote:
TPI is not going anywhere. TBI won’t pass EURO4 or 5.
Most KTM Offroad 2 strokes are road legal in Europe. TBI is just for closed course race bikes.
Jeff_Brines
11/23/2021 4:51am Edited Date/Time 11/23/2021 4:53am
Interesting comments pertaining to TBI vs TPI. FWIW, the emissions thing is a big question mark. I can't help but think this is the exact same argument I heard pertaining to OEM two stroke turbo snowmobiles a handful of years ago (they'd never pass emissions or noise ordinance restrictions). This turned out to be false.

I know the EURO 4 & 5 stuff is pretty strict, but I also know engineers are pretty amazing at working through this sort of thing. With the right feedback loops, I could see a more complete burn with a TBI system, and if oil management is better they could very much pass emissions.

Are we positive the bikes are TBI not a TPI+TBI hybrid? (two injectors on the motor, one on the throttle body). Has anyone seen an EGT on the exhaust? (curious, this would help from a tuning perspective)

Moto companies are pretty notorious for trying to minimize skus if possible. Having two different fuel injection systems runs in the face of this.

Final thought, I'd be SHOCKED to see the bikes return to being pre-mix.

Richy
11/23/2021 4:51am
Great find on the pics, looks interesting for sure.

And going back a page, I'm still with GingerSnapRacing, I know it isn't hugely complicated, I work almost solely with wiring and ECU's day in day out, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and be fully on board with the simplicity of a pure lightweight racing two stroke with just a carb and kickstarter... my 350 is a constant worry, is the battery gonna die, is the starter gonna pack up, etc etc.

I'm sure it'll be sweet, hopefully it'll keep some two stroke character but bring traction and raw speed and whatnot more on par with four strokes, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to be stoked on the added complexity.
Toby259
11/23/2021 5:21am
makes one thing about potential weight gain on a 250SX (and 125/150)... I have ridden the 22 250SX and it so nice and light feeling makes it fun to ride and easy to throw around. On the 23 you lose the weight of the mechanical PV mechanism and replace it with a small servo motor and cable/actuator PV, mass is added higher in the engine. you lose the kickstart mechanism (can't see in pics, boot is in the way) and replace with battery and e-start motor and gears, then you add the FI components, ECU and fuel pump and wires. Could be an overall increase but also maybe with the mass reduction with new chassis, swingarm, body. I know... even if it was adding 5 pounds it would still be considered "light"
11/23/2021 7:42am
Interesting comments pertaining to TBI vs TPI. FWIW, the emissions thing is a big question mark. I can't help but think this is the exact same...
Interesting comments pertaining to TBI vs TPI. FWIW, the emissions thing is a big question mark. I can't help but think this is the exact same argument I heard pertaining to OEM two stroke turbo snowmobiles a handful of years ago (they'd never pass emissions or noise ordinance restrictions). This turned out to be false.

I know the EURO 4 & 5 stuff is pretty strict, but I also know engineers are pretty amazing at working through this sort of thing. With the right feedback loops, I could see a more complete burn with a TBI system, and if oil management is better they could very much pass emissions.

Are we positive the bikes are TBI not a TPI+TBI hybrid? (two injectors on the motor, one on the throttle body). Has anyone seen an EGT on the exhaust? (curious, this would help from a tuning perspective)

Moto companies are pretty notorious for trying to minimize skus if possible. Having two different fuel injection systems runs in the face of this.

What’s so bad about running premix in the MX bikes?
The lubrication is better and you don’t have to carry a tank, pump, injector and a excess amount of oil around?
ratonmacias
11/23/2021 10:41am
Interesting comments pertaining to TBI vs TPI. FWIW, the emissions thing is a big question mark. I can't help but think this is the exact same...

#434 wrote:
What’s so bad about running premix in the MX bikes? The lubrication is better and you don’t have to carry a tank, pump, injector and a...
The lubrication is better and you don’t have to carry a tank, pump, injector and a excess amount of oil around?
from what i have read theres issues right at startup with lack of lubrication on current tpi bikes
nskerb
11/23/2021 10:49am
Any Spy Pics Of The Husky?
In one of the videos previously posted there was the back end of a husky that did not look current. And there was a picture of a most recent Dakar Husky posted that had an interesting looking front fender. Compare that to the spy KTM shots and their current newest Dakar bike and they more or less match. I'd say based off that you can get a somewhat good idea of the new husky... looks wise at least.
11/23/2021 3:01pm
Any Spy Pics Of The Husky?
Fender looks the same, but the number plates look much nicer!

swordfish
11/23/2021 3:05pm

#434 wrote:
What’s so bad about running premix in the MX bikes? The lubrication is better and you don’t have to carry a tank, pump, injector and a...
from what i have read theres issues right at startup with lack of lubrication on current tpi bikes
No issue. Just let the head and cylinder warm up. KTM released an updated 103 map increasing oil 44% across the board.
Jeff_Brines
11/23/2021 3:48pm
#434 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
No issue. Just let the head and cylinder warm up. KTM released an updated 103 map increasing oil 44% across the board.
Beat me to it. The 2020.5+ maps (or aftermarket) have 100% remedied this.

Also, I'm not so sure you can convince me the lubrication is better in a premix bike. While a poor map can cause a problem in an injected bike, it can also be done better than pre-mix by nature of how precise it is.This having been around a lot of oil injected two stroke snowmobiles pushing big HP numbers running WFO (and never losing a motor due to oiling issues).

I do dig how clever pre-mix is (simple!) but its hardly best in my book. Injection keeps stuff constant and makes for better control over your AFRs.
ratonmacias
11/23/2021 4:10pm
#434 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
so there was an issue until 2020?
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/23/2021 6:20pm
swordfish wrote:
It's a lot more nuanced than these guys are getting into. Here's a more complete rundown.

No way in hell do I want to deal with any of this on an MX 125. What is supposed to be an inexpensive, simple, light, easy to work on bike. All this crap is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

2strokenut
11/23/2021 6:26pm
swordfish wrote:
Beat me to it. The 2020.5+ maps (or aftermarket) have 100% remedied this. Also, I'm not so sure you can convince me the lubrication is better...

Also, I'm not so sure you can convince me the lubrication is better in a premix bike. While a poor map can cause a problem in an injected bike, it can also be done better than pre-mix by nature of how precise it is.This having been around a lot of oil injected two stroke snowmobiles pushing big HP numbers running WFO (and never losing a motor due to oiling issues).

I do dig how clever pre-mix is (simple!) but its hardly best in my book. Injection keeps stuff constant and makes for better control over your AFRs.
Snowmobiles make more HP per CC, move more weight and do it at almost WOT the entire time. Yet, big brains on the forums think a small dirt bike engine running maybe WOT 2-15% of the time, making much less HP per CC somehow needs premix to survive. Jeff knows what kind of HP these new sleds make, especially all the turbos. These are all oil injected and an oil related failure is almost unhead of.

I can't wait until the SX models are injected and I'm here for all the salt :D
MikeID
11/23/2021 6:30pm
Pirate421 wrote:
I’m looking at getting a 22 xc or xc-w and have wondered the same thing. You should ask that question on ktmtalk!

I think at the end of the day it’s how well TPI bikes are running. If they run great, the market will reflect that. The typical things like age and condition would still be the main determinant of resale value.
Pirate421
11/23/2021 7:01pm
Pirate421 wrote:
MikeID wrote:
I’m looking at getting a 22 xc or xc-w and have wondered the same thing. You should ask that question on ktmtalk! I think at the...
I’m looking at getting a 22 xc or xc-w and have wondered the same thing. You should ask that question on ktmtalk!

I think at the end of the day it’s how well TPI bikes are running. If they run great, the market will reflect that. The typical things like age and condition would still be the main determinant of resale value.
Agree I still own a tpi regardless so I’ll hang on to it for awhile yet. I’m running a coober Ecu and have no regrets with it. I also don’t ride enough to warrant me needing the latest and greatest, my bike does what I ask it. This is just seems like a huge swing and don’t want these $10k bikes to be looked at like the old rmz/kxf hybrid disaster.
spimx
11/23/2021 7:26pm
I hope the gas gas 250 2t still comes with kickstart
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2040th
11/23/2021 7:55pm
swordfish wrote:
Beat me to it. The 2020.5+ maps (or aftermarket) have 100% remedied this. Also, I'm not so sure you can convince me the lubrication is better...

2strokenut wrote:
Snowmobiles make more HP per CC, move more weight and do it at almost WOT the entire time. Yet, big brains on the forums think a...
Snowmobiles make more HP per CC, move more weight and do it at almost WOT the entire time. Yet, big brains on the forums think a small dirt bike engine running maybe WOT 2-15% of the time, making much less HP per CC somehow needs premix to survive. Jeff knows what kind of HP these new sleds make, especially all the turbos. These are all oil injected and an oil related failure is almost unhead of.

True but snowmobiles are time bombs, I used to sled way more then I ride but trying to resist and focus on Mx year round. Anyway, in the sled world 3,000 miles is about the life span of a new mtn sled, trail sleds, who cares.. I can not tell you how many cranks I’ve had let go, piston skirts break and blow out the bottom of cases, oil pump do fail, not often but they do, I’ve experienced it, carnage. Pto ends snap off, main bearings let go and absolutely tear your cases up. Sure, for most guys they are reliable but the average snowmobiler doesn’t ride much and the skill sets are generally low. Guys who actually ride, always have more then one machine because you WILL have a mechanical and sitting at home when the snow is good sucks. I typically had 3 at any given time and there was still times when I was down waiting on parts. If you are in the turbo game, running 10 or more lbs of boost, you see some cool shit break. I’m sure my crew will have many late nights getting dead machines out of the backcountry this winter and none of us ride anything older then 2017-2018.
ratonmacias
11/23/2021 8:46pm
Regardless a 250 tpi bike runs awful compared to a carbed 250.

Will wait and see on the tbi.

For now my yamaha 250x and my yz 125 will give me plenty of good times
2strokenut
11/23/2021 8:52pm

2strokenut wrote:
Snowmobiles make more HP per CC, move more weight and do it at almost WOT the entire time. Yet, big brains on the forums think a...

True but snowmobiles are time bombs, I used to sled way more then I ride but trying to resist and focus on Mx year round. Anyway...
True but snowmobiles are time bombs, I used to sled way more then I ride but trying to resist and focus on Mx year round. Anyway, in the sled world 3,000 miles is about the life span of a new mtn sled, trail sleds, who cares.. I can not tell you how many cranks I’ve had let go, piston skirts break and blow out the bottom of cases, oil pump do fail, not often but they do, I’ve experienced it, carnage. Pto ends snap off, main bearings let go and absolutely tear your cases up. Sure, for most guys they are reliable but the average snowmobiler doesn’t ride much and the skill sets are generally low. Guys who actually ride, always have more then one machine because you WILL have a mechanical and sitting at home when the snow is good sucks. I typically had 3 at any given time and there was still times when I was down waiting on parts. If you are in the turbo game, running 10 or more lbs of boost, you see some cool shit break. I’m sure my crew will have many late nights getting dead machines out of the backcountry this winter and none of us ride anything older then 2017-2018.
What does this have to do with oil failure? Those snowmobiles aren't blowing up because they aren't running enough oil...
2strokenut
11/23/2021 8:56pm
Regardless a 250 tpi bike runs awful compared to a carbed 250. Will wait and see on the tbi. For now my yamaha 250x and my...

Runs awful says who?

"owns yz250 and yz125"

Oh
ratonmacias
11/23/2021 9:04pm
I say so and to me it runs like a 4 stroke.

I have tried a 250 sx and a sherco 250 and loved them.

I m not a yamaha fanboy i always rode cr s abd then rm s
11/23/2021 11:08pm
Ok, so:
- fast snowmobiles are time bombs
- premix is crude, simple and light but works fine
- oil injection is more user friendly and economic but comes with a bag of extra parts

However, how does a recent TPI (or relocated to TBI) compare to a well jetted EXC? Where are the differences? Some of you guys must have ridden both?
swordfish
11/24/2021 4:03am
swordfish wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
It's a lot more nuanced than these guys are getting into. Here's a more complete rundown. No way in hell do I want to deal with...
It's a lot more nuanced than these guys are getting into. Here's a more complete rundown.

No way in hell do I want to deal with any of this on an MX 125. What is supposed to be an inexpensive, simple, light, easy to work on bike. All this crap is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

He’s just another YouTube Expert. Barry doesn’t even own a TPi bike.
swordfish
11/24/2021 4:04am

2strokenut wrote:

True but snowmobiles are time bombs, I used to sled way more then I ride but trying to resist and focus on Mx year round. Anyway...
Stop buying Polaris sleds😂🤦‍♂️
swordfish
11/24/2021 4:05am
Regardless a 250 tpi bike runs awful compared to a carbed 250. Will wait and see on the tbi. For now my yamaha 250x and my...

😂😂😂😂yeah ok.

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM models?

The Latest