2015 winter project - Home built "works bike" - Part II

Edited Date/Time 8/2/2020 2:49pm
This is part II of my previous thread on building a “home-built” works bike as a winter project. I took it a step further. It doesn’t compare to the beautiful work that Dogger, Newmann, and other craftsman, but it is my attempt at building something unique. These days, you can buy a lot of cool parts that weren’t available many years ago and build what was once only available on works machines. The idea was that I would throw a lot of money at the bike, searching all over the world and testing various parts to separate the “chaff from the wheat” so to speak, but I did end up with a few actual unobtanium works parts in the process. I don’t like the air forks, dual mufflers or pointy plastic of the 2013+ CRF’s so I started with a left over 2012, one of the best looking bikes to come from Honda in the last few decades. I also am a 2 stroke guy, so to make a this 4 stroke more to my liking, I decided it could weigh no more than my CR250, had to have similar performing suspension to the works Showa’s on my old 2 stroke, and I had to get rid of the 4 stroke engine braking as much as possible.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Winter-Project-Home-built…

This 2012 CRF450 now weighs less than the AMA limit. I weighed it yesterday and the wet weight (just over ½ tank of fuel) and it was 225lbs. Dry weight is between 218 and 219lbs.

1. The weight reduction is due to;
-Complete Mettec titanium bolt, nut, and screw set, including both axles and swingarm pivot
-All plastic body parts and engine cases use IRP aluminum bolts
-Carbon fiber parts include; fuel tank, engine mounts, front and rear brake rotor guards, rear caliper guard, chain guide, oil filter guard. Most came from Europe from the teams and manufacturers that make the parts for the GP bikes
-I used the lightest hubs and rims I could find. The hubs are TCR, but the rear is a lightweight version machined for the Geico Honda team. The regular DID Dirtstar rims are stronger than stock but lighter than the LT-X version.
-Titanium rear shock spring
-HRC titanium foot pegs and mounts
-CNC machined front brake caliper, fork lugs and fork caps.
-Think technologies bar pad and seat foam (I am in the process of replacing this with Guts racing seat foam which should be a little more comfy)
-Removing the air filter backfire screen was a nice little weight loss, for free.
-Titanium and carbon fiber exhaust was the most cost effective weight saver

2. Suspension mods with valving and lots of help from Paul Bruno at RG3 New Jersey:
- Both the forks and shock body were sent to Japan for Kashima coating
-Fork tubes and shock shaft were DLC-coated
-SKF fork and shock seals were used along with a low friction piston band in the shock to lower stiction
-The fork got the Kayaba “works” outdoor spring perches, pistons, and FC oil lock collars, along with CNC fork lugs from Italy and CNC fork caps along with FC pressure springs and .48kg fork springs
- The rear suspension is helped by a Merge Racing knuckle. The rear shock also got “works” aluminum preload rings with bearings to prevent spring torsion and an increased volume bladder cap, and a 5.3kg titanium shock spring. A custom preload spacer and reshaping the exhaust were required to make the Ti spring work.
-The steering damper was re-valved by Factory Connection to help with the cornering feel and it helped a lot along with the Merge knuckle

3. Engine Mods:
-I tried 3 different exhaust systems and ended up with a hybrid of 2 different systems that I thought offered the lightest weight and best performance. I use a titanium header from Yoshimura and FMF’s 4.1 RCT titanium and carbon muffler
- Injectioneering throttle body mod. this mod really makes the bike pull lower and smoother off the bottom especially when cracking open the throttle at low rpm
-Air filter back fire screen removed, HRC injector mod, Simon choke mod, Split stream valve cover vent rerouting kit also help a little bit
-Tokyo Mods fuel and ignition mapping (I use VP T4 racing fuel)
- Moto Tassinari Air4orce airboot with the long velocity stack
-Ron Hamp camshaft with decompression spring mod to reduce flame outs
- Tokyo Mods cam chain tensioner
-The clutch was replaced by a Rekluse EXP 3.0 set up to give the least engine breaking. Clutch pull is assisted by a Works Connection Pro perch
-Rear sprocket was changed to 49 teeth to help the engine do its job
- Boyesen Super Cooler water pump and CV4 Y-hoses that eliminate the restrictive fittings, and a higher pressure CV4 radiator cap
- 2015 black valve cover secured with titanium bolts

The above bods make for a bike that is quite strong from bottom to mid and really improved the throttle response which is important to me.

4. Brakes:
- The front got the Moto Stuff 280mm brake rotor used by the Geico Honda team and a Ride Engineering front brake caliper. These 2 parts were made for each other and gives a front brake that is at a whole different level. A Pro Carbon front disc guard from the UK and an Acerbis wheel spacer to mount it
-The rear also has a Moto Stuff lightweight brake rotor mounted with Ti bolts. There are IRP aluminum banjo bolts front and rear along with Race Tech titanium caliper pad and DLC-coated slider pins

5. Miscellaneous Parts/ Ergonomics:
- There are a number of HRC parts on the bike including brake master cylinder covers, brake line brackets, lower engine mounts, and a set of HRC triple clamps that are a bit lighter than stock
-The handlebars were raised 6mm using MXBONZ mounts
-The foot pegs are relocated 5mm up and 5mm back
- 15mm longer Hammerhead billet shift pedal was added to keep my size 10 boots from getting caught under the shifter whenever I upshifted while seat bouncing in the air which was a constant problem

There is a smattering of other parts that I am sure I forgot to mention.

Here is also a picture of a YZ144 I just built for my son. It has a Terry Varner motor and RG3 suspension…

mike

|
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
5/17/2015 10:55pm
That's how a CR should look.......simple and clean. Bravo my man that thing is tits!
mx836
5/18/2015 6:50am
Both are great. Love the suspension on both!

The Shop

TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/18/2015 7:20am
Wow that's the most insane home build I've ever seen. congratulations!
newmann
5/18/2015 7:33am
That is a damn nice looking bike you built. The only place you messed up is that you are going to go broke trying to top it with your next build.Smile

Did you weigh every part in an effort to keep from adding any weight back into the mix? Or are there areas where you knew you were adding weight in exchange for a better quality part?
Jono
5/18/2015 7:48am
Such a nice bike, I wonder how it compares to a factory Honda
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/18/2015 7:58am
Did you notice any difference in the handling with the CF engine mounts?
WeiserGuy
5/18/2015 8:05am
That's a beautiful machine you've built. You hit home run without a doubt!

How many hours do you estimate you have in the build? If you was willing to sell that bike what would your asking price be? I'm not trying to be rude with this last question and you don't have to answer if its to personal. How much money do you have in this project?

rockyuno
5/18/2015 8:30am
Both bikes are just perfect! beautiful!

Congrats dude! Thanks for sharing!
BD233
5/18/2015 9:26am
Beautiful bike!! The silver wheels look so much cleaner than black IMO. Great job man!
Crush
5/18/2015 9:30am
EnvyMedia wrote:
Nice. '10 - '13 CRF is my favorite looking bike.
You have two favourite looking bike(s)?
Bineano
5/18/2015 9:38am
Looks great, wow.
If you sprinkle red properly over the Honda's, they look fantastic.
You have done it right!
diz330
5/18/2015 10:05am
TriRacer27 wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm not so sure this bike has ever seen the dirt let alone tested the feel of different engine mounts...
BAMX
5/18/2015 10:10am
That is as good as it gets IMO......well done
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/18/2015 10:11am
TriRacer27 wrote:
diz330 wrote:
I could be wrong but I'm not so sure this bike has ever seen the dirt let alone tested the feel of different engine mounts...
He says he tested 3 different exhaust systems...
5/18/2015 12:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2015 12:34pm
newmann wrote:
That is a damn nice looking bike you built. The only place you messed up is that you are going to go broke trying to top...
That is a damn nice looking bike you built. The only place you messed up is that you are going to go broke trying to top it with your next build.Smile

Did you weigh every part in an effort to keep from adding any weight back into the mix? Or are there areas where you knew you were adding weight in exchange for a better quality part?
I would never waste this much money again.. I have about $25k into the bike including the left over purchase price.. I had to do it once and I am getting old. There are a few parts I would not want to ride without (front brake set up, FC steering damper, Merge knuckle, Rekluse clutch), but most of it, especially the titanium fasteners/ axles, I would not mind doing without. It is not really worth it. Each adds a small incremental gain that is only felt in total.

I have an excel spreadsheet and weight each piece I took off and weighed each lighter weight piece I put on to measure the difference.

I am not that fast where I needed a stronger part for durability and the idea was to keep the same durability and reduce weight. My camshaft is heavier because it doesnt have the lightening holes like the stock one where they drilled big holes right in the cam lobes. My rims and spokes are heavier and stronger than stock such that my front wheel weighs ever so slightly more than stock, but the rear is lighter thanks to the lightweight TCR hub.

There are three areas where I may go back to stock steel/ part after more testing.. front axle, swing arm pivot, and seat. The first 2 may have more flex than I like. The Think seat was ultra light but too hard. I am building a new seat using Guts foam as I speak, but went back to the srock seat for now.
5/18/2015 12:36pm
Jono wrote:
Such a nice bike, I wonder how it compares to a factory Honda
Factory Honda is better, of course, especially the unobtanium suspension, but with today's aftermarket parts, we can probably get much closer to a true factory bike than ever before.
5/18/2015 12:42pm
where did you get the carbon fiber tank?
Carbon Fiber tanks is from the Czech Republic.. a company called Cedea and the quality is outstanding. They make the tanks for Martin Racing/ Team Honda and Honda USA and Japan were getting the CF tanks from Europe until they went to the titanium tanks which come from Japan. They had the tanks available just like the Honda factory bikes, but I asked them to make me one with a standard gas cap w/o the vent coming out of the tank and they did. They have both kinds.. same price.

CMT also has the CF fuel tanks but not sure if the quality is as superb as Cedea.

I have been trying to get a carbon fiber subframe from CRM, but they wont sell to me.
5/18/2015 12:45pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Not sure.. it sems there is a little more flex with all the engine mount changes, but not a huge difference. The CF uper mounts by themselves, No... but after adding the HRC front lower mounts (red aluminum) and Ti mount bolts, I think there is a bit more flex.
5/18/2015 12:51pm
WeiserGuy wrote:
That's a beautiful machine you've built. You hit home run without a doubt! How many hours do you estimate you have in the build? If you...
That's a beautiful machine you've built. You hit home run without a doubt!

How many hours do you estimate you have in the build? If you was willing to sell that bike what would your asking price be? I'm not trying to be rude with this last question and you don't have to answer if its to personal. How much money do you have in this project?

I dont know how many hours.. there is many hours into just finding some of the parts and doing bank transfers with companies in other countries. It was done over 2 long NE winters. I have about $25k into the build not counting the HRC parts.. Honda says those pegs cost $5k each which is a little hard to beleive, but they are super light. I would not sell the bike as I dont think it is worth much more to anyone else but me. It was built for me. Not too many people that would pay much over what a stock bike in similar condition is worth.
5/18/2015 12:53pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
diz330 wrote:
The bike has 35 hours on it and I ride evey weekend that the weather allows. It is not my only bike, though. The bike has not been ridden yet this year and looks new because I am constantly putting new parts on it.
5/18/2015 12:54pm
Crush wrote:
You have two favourite looking bike(s)?
No the 2010 to 2013 250 crf's all look the same.
newmann
5/18/2015 1:13pm
So, by blowing the bank on this build you are saying that it will save you money in the long run by not having attempt it again. Smart man.Wink

I keep telling the wife that buying the old RC500 works Honda was the best money I ever spent. Nothing else compares, so nothing else "collectible dirt bike wise" has been bought since.
ledger
5/18/2015 1:33pm
Great job and good looking bike, are the bar clamps from MX Bonz ? just curious as I run the same on my 06 CR 250 and they are great quality at a fair price.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
5/18/2015 2:53pm
Very very,very nice.

If it was my bike - I would drop the swingarm sticker, rear disc bottom guard / mounts that hold it, and the zeta accessories (I dont think Zeta is anywhere near the caliber of your other parts like hrc etc).

Well done.
5/18/2015 3:37pm
newmann wrote:
So, by blowing the bank on this build you are saying that it will save you money in the long run by not having attempt it...
So, by blowing the bank on this build you are saying that it will save you money in the long run by not having attempt it again. Smart man.Wink

I keep telling the wife that buying the old RC500 works Honda was the best money I ever spent. Nothing else compares, so nothing else "collectible dirt bike wise" has been bought since.
hahahaha. My thinking is I dont want to have any regrets when I am lying in my death bed.. that I did it all when I had a chance.. no shoulda, coulda, woulda

I would like to see more of this RC 500.. What year is it?.. post a pic. Where do you find these gems?

Post a reply to: 2015 winter project - Home built "works bike" - Part II

The Latest