100LL avgas

Edited Date/Time 11/25/2022 12:00am
Hey guys I have a 2014 yz250 2 stroke I had vp T2 in it and it was about just 1 gallon once it finished I out 91pumo gas with castor927 oil mix and it just runs more aggressive and less power more having to shift now and I've been seeing people say I can run 100LL would u guys say yes I can run that for racing and practices at the track?? Because vp is just to expensive and if yes I can run 100LL is it just all 100LL or do I do 50 avgas and 50 my gas mixture with the oil and also at the gas station for avgas is there a option for 2 stroke or 4 stroke gas or it's all the same 100LL works for both bikes??
|
mx317
11/22/2022 8:26am
People will say no, but you can with no issues. I run it half and half with 90 octane non-ethanol gas. I've heard the argument that it's designed to run at high altitude, but where does a plane need the most power? To get it off the ground is when. Many race gas companies use it as a base for their fuels.
11/22/2022 8:29am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2022 8:29am
You can run 100LL. Your bike won’t run really much differently than on pump gas (versus you notice a difference with race gas). It is nice that it is ethanol free though.

The lead is bad for you though in the long term. 100LL has lead levels comparable to automotive gas in the 70s, which numerous studies have shown to cause health issues (brain damage, lower IQ, chronic illness and increased mortality, etc). I’d probably just stick with pump gas and race gas blends.

The Shop

jjavaman
Fantasy
3765th
11/22/2022 8:54am
Hey guys I have a 2014 yz250 2 stroke I had vp T2 in it and it was about just 1 gallon once it finished I...
Hey guys I have a 2014 yz250 2 stroke I had vp T2 in it and it was about just 1 gallon once it finished I out 91pumo gas with castor927 oil mix and it just runs more aggressive and less power more having to shift now and I've been seeing people say I can run 100LL would u guys say yes I can run that for racing and practices at the track?? Because vp is just to expensive and if yes I can run 100LL is it just all 100LL or do I do 50 avgas and 50 my gas mixture with the oil and also at the gas station for avgas is there a option for 2 stroke or 4 stroke gas or it's all the same 100LL works for both bikes??
If you’re riding at high altitudes and worried about your carb freezing, then by all means you airplane fuel…
FahQ
11/22/2022 9:15am
50/50 is fine
You are not going to get the same power as T2 though, no matter what ratio you try.
Jetting and a head mod can make good power on 50/50
11/22/2022 9:16am
So running 100LL is bad for my health more than 91 pump gas ?? What do u guys think I should run it or not or is it not much difference for health ?? I need this gas to race Les detonation I need
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/22/2022 9:29am
100LL is bad for your health? What are you doing, drinking it? Taking hits off the tailpipe?

If you have ethanol free gas easily available, mix 50/50 with Avgas. Otherwise, run straight Avgas so it's ethanol free and you have no carb gunking issues.

Ditch the Castor-927 and run a good synthetic oil. K2, Super-M, Motul 800, Motorex Crosspower 2T, take your pick.

11/22/2022 11:18am
Just called a airfield and they won't sell gas to the public why. How do I get it ?
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/22/2022 11:23am Edited Date/Time 11/22/2022 11:24am
Just called a airfield and they won't sell gas to the public why. How do I get it ?
You need a tail number for a plane. They log who they sell fuel to with the tail number. You don’t have to have the plane with you. I use to run av gas in my 125 as a kid and my old man would have to use his bosses tail number.
DTHA70
11/22/2022 2:49pm
Been running it for 20 years in my 2 strokes. You won't get any additional performance out of the fuel, but it won't detonate if you're increasing compression. It's also very stable and consistent which is great for jetting. The "low lead" adage is a bit misleading. It's got about 3x the amount of lead in it than what you see in modern leaded race fuels. Great for lubricity. It mixes well with just about any oil, castor included. I use PC jetting specs with this fuel and castor 927 almost exclusively and it never has me far off.

I'm in AZ and can walk into the local airport and fill jugs or even drive in for a drum fill if I need to refill a drum.
11/22/2022 4:02pm
Dang man why won't they let me get any gas they said it's private air field
11/22/2022 4:36pm
731chopper wrote:
You need a tail number for a plane. They log who they sell fuel to with the tail number. You don’t have to have the plane...
You need a tail number for a plane. They log who they sell fuel to with the tail number. You don’t have to have the plane with you. I use to run av gas in my 125 as a kid and my old man would have to use his bosses tail number.
That’s interesting. We have a small airport in Louisiana where you can literally ride up to a pump like a regular gas station.
11/22/2022 4:46pm
Run 50/50. Ran this mix in my bikes and chainsaws for years as it was cheaper than straight Avgas.

It’s very consistent fuel octane. So great for jetting etc.
resetjet
11/22/2022 5:57pm
Dont be fooled by the high octane. Its high octane because of the lead which is the cheap way to make octane. The right way to do it is a good blend….. race gas.
Kevin_Reed
11/22/2022 6:07pm
My tail number at my local airport is NE1469. I do not fly a plane only CR 125s
FahQ
11/22/2022 6:14pm
Kevin_Reed wrote:
My tail number at my local airport is NE1469. I do not fly a plane only CR 125s

11/22/2022 6:21pm
Just called the airfield again and he said that I would need to have the plane there or else I can't unless I got the paper work for it. So I guess u can't in California lol atleast we're I live by.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/22/2022 6:25pm
I guess it depends on the airfield? We always had to have a tail number so I assumed that’s the way it was everywhere.
11/22/2022 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/22/2022 8:30pm
DTHA70 wrote:
Been running it for 20 years in my 2 strokes. You won't get any additional performance out of the fuel, but it won't detonate if you're...
Been running it for 20 years in my 2 strokes. You won't get any additional performance out of the fuel, but it won't detonate if you're increasing compression. It's also very stable and consistent which is great for jetting. The "low lead" adage is a bit misleading. It's got about 3x the amount of lead in it than what you see in modern leaded race fuels. Great for lubricity. It mixes well with just about any oil, castor included. I use PC jetting specs with this fuel and castor 927 almost exclusively and it never has me far off.

I'm in AZ and can walk into the local airport and fill jugs or even drive in for a drum fill if I need to refill a drum.
To quote DTHA 70 "It's got about 3x the amount of lead in it than what you see in modern leaded race fuels."

Please do NOT post false info. 100LL has about .5 grams per liter, which is about half of VP C12, and 3 times less of say C16 which around 6 grams per gallon(at last I saw a SDS.)

Exxon Mobils 100 LL Spec is
Tetraethyl Lead, mL/L 0.27 Min. / 0.53 Max.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) specifications limit the maximum amount of lead contained in 100LL avgas to 2 grams per US gallon, which is equivalent to 0.56 grams/liter.

You can see this is roughly half of VP C12. C16 last I looked was 6 Grams per gallon.

VP and most others have to post this info in their SDS sheets. Easily Verifiable.

If you compare a 100 Octane leaded race fuel you will see it is very much the same as Av gas.

Common info is, AV gas has NO real de-icers. Gasoline itself freezes(slushes) at around -70F depending on the hydrocarbon blend.
Most Av gas, Exxon Mobil, Phillips 66, Chevron, Warter, etc is mostly the same and outside of F1 fuel regulations is one of the most tightly regulated fuels in the world.

Av gas is NOT "Dry" Meaning it runs dry with no lube. Gasoline is dry by itself(Washing parts etc)
The dry term comes from the fact that all pumps, pump trucks etc usually have a dual water filtration system, resulting in a water free fuel.
There is no alcohols in Av gas.

Unleaded Av-Gas is 94 Octane. Swift Fuels is the only one that I know with an approved Unleaded Av Gas for SOME approved Engines.

All refineries are working on an approved 100 Octane Unleaded. They have it, but needs to be approved.

Av Gas is not a high elevation fuel. Airplanes Need Max power, and need to resist detonation at FULL throttle, High Load, at Sea Level. At cruising altitudes, you are not at full throttle.

Warter Still sells 130/145 and 115/130 last I knew.

Av gas is a very stable fuel(2 years sealed can) and again, very consistent anywhere you buy it.

If you have questions, feel free.
11/22/2022 7:42pm
Also to add, before "Race Gas" was a marketable thing outside of Phillips 66 B series Fuels(Same as Trick Racing Gas) remember that?, Sunoco, and a few others, most race fuels were 100LL and various hydrocarbons were added to "Blend" different fuels.

Lots of these are found in paint stores and chemical houses(with questionable freshness). There is not a lot of secrecy in blending race fuels until you get into highly Oxygenated, extremely high priced fuels.

Alot of these ingredients can still be found by carefully researching SDS sheets, and or looking up CAS numbers.

Never buy little bottles of "Octane Boosters" without reading labels. Most are an overpriced blend of things(Or one cheap hydrocarbon) you can buy a gallon of for the same price, right in walmart or hardware store.

You could technically blend an unleaded race fuel with simple things from a paint store, but you need to do some research on the amounts used. You could for example take a pinging YZ 125 and quickly blend in enough octane to cover that.

If you look at the ingredients of any refinery brand of Av Gas, the SDS will show the percentage uses. Again, this is a very tightly regulated fuel worldwide.

Some airports do not care about a tail number, as long as they can see you are not filling up a Street vehicle like an old muscle car. That would get them in trouble.

My local airport has no problems with Jugs or even drum. Sometimes you simply have to tell the guy in the FBO or fuel truck it is for your race bikes or whatever.

Lastly, Av Gas WILL make more power than pump gas in a hopped up engine, ie high compression, more timing etc.

Lastly, for the price, you will not find a higher quality, stable, or better fuel for most people, outside of highly oxygenated high priced specialty fuels.

When a magazine tells you that Av Gas is for Low RPM engines at high elevation, I say just compare a SDS to say one from your favorite 105 or 108 Motor Octane high dollar race fuel and see exactly what is the difference.

Again, it won't be long until there are many approved 100 UL Av Gas. Only SWIFT fuels(Until recently that I know of) has a 94 UL which is basically 100LL with Zero TEL.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
11/22/2022 7:54pm
Yes I'm going to call another airfield tomorrow and ask
Not sure if it’s any cheaper, but there is a station not far from you that sells VP out of the pump. You’ll have to see what VP it is since I can’t remember off the top of my head but have had friends get it from there multiple times.
11/22/2022 8:09pm
resetjet wrote:
Dont be fooled by the high octane. Its high octane because of the lead which is the cheap way to make octane. The right way to...
Dont be fooled by the high octane. Its high octane because of the lead which is the cheap way to make octane. The right way to do it is a good blend….. race gas.
While TEL is a very cheap way to build octane, lead has many other benefits(and drawbacks).
Without lead, to achieve the same performance you have to exponentially increase price.

This is also been the hangup with 94 UL and 100 UL Av Gas specifically which again, is not yet approved last I checked. Although 94UL where available is pretty reasonable considering the limited engines approved for it currently and only 1 refinery is producing an approved fuel, and only for certain lower compression plane engines.

Most of the extremely high octane race fuels have lead, all the way up to say VP Air Race. Read the SDS info sheets.They are readily available.
Warter Aviations 130/145 or whatever it is now isn't cheap and is intended for P51 type race planes. I don't know of any higher octane fuel or any fuel that is even close being unleaded.

Most hydrocarbons are topped out at around 115 alone. Once blended with others with lower numbers, you now have to add lead to get the detonation protection back up depending on the application.

Lead has it's place, and for 100LL, it is a happy medium between a little bit of lead and a higher cost Unleaded product.
Believe it or not, End User cost is a big deal to plane people, especially now with fuel prices.
11/22/2022 8:13pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not sure if it’s any cheaper, but there is a station not far from you that sells VP out of the pump. You’ll have to see...
Not sure if it’s any cheaper, but there is a station not far from you that sells VP out of the pump. You’ll have to see what VP it is since I can’t remember off the top of my head but have had friends get it from there multiple times.
Is it the one that is in Chevron that say racing fuel here
11/22/2022 8:28pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not sure if it’s any cheaper, but there is a station not far from you that sells VP out of the pump. You’ll have to see...
Is it the one that is in Chevron that say racing fuel here
Ohh I just found the vp it's on a 76 in Hollywood do u know if it is cheaper then the regular online price of $22:50 dollars a gallon?

Post a reply to: 100LL avgas

The Latest