98 team Pro Circuit MXDN replica

Related:
Create New Tag

7/14/2019 10:34 PM

I'm still tearing it down, but I figured I would share my progress.

I picked it up for $800, I couldn't get it to start and made sure I had fresh gas and a new plug. Still didn't have any luck. So I checked thr compression and I think that might be the problem. Off the top of my head I think it's supposed to be around 120.

I don't have the tool to check the ring gap, but I will be picking that up soon. I'm tempted to try a Pro x piston and ring, because the cylinder looks good but the ring and piston look rough and it has a standard 53.97 bore currently. There was sand in the carburetor and air boot, the air filter was dry.

I did a bit of a mock up with the shrouds and graphics, I'm still waiting for side panels and a rear fender before I put those graphics on.

SSS forks are almost on their way. I'll have to swap out the steering stem to make it work just right. I'll keep the shock the same and will probably rebuild with a spring for my weight (sort of too chubby for a 125)

I will have more updates on my Instagram @vanillaice782

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

7/14/2019 11:41 PM

There is metal flake in the graphics, but it isn't nearly as large as the original metal flake, and I have a spray gun, so I'm going to make it pop better. My pipe dream would be to get somebody fast to race this at red bull straight rhythm, but I don't know if anybody will be interested in racing a bike that is 20 years old.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/15/2019 1:34 AM

I'm also doing a replica of his 98 outdoor/mxdn bike, but i'm already 4 years into collecting parts and maybe another 4 years from it being finished! Hoping for an exact full factory build though when it's done!

Cool start, keep us posted

|

www.90smotocross.com

Instagram - @90sMotocross
Facebook - 90s Motocross

7/15/2019 5:58 AM

chuckdavies wrote:

I'm also doing a replica of his 98 outdoor/mxdn bike, but i'm already 4 years into collecting parts and maybe another 4 years from it being finished! Hoping for an exact full factory build though when it's done!

Cool start, keep us posted

Very cool. I have just a few pieces, like a PC clutch perch and lever, I still dont know where I can get a works finish exhaust.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/15/2019 8:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/15/2019 12:34 PM

Very cool! I’ve got a ‘98 in pieces that I plan on building someday. The pipe for these bikes is specific to this year model only, for some reason (I think the cylinder changed in ‘98, might have something to do with that). Anyway, the pipe is hard to find.

Who did your graphics? Looks great. Keep the updates coming.

|

7/15/2019 3:00 PM

If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the cases and clean everything out. You could also flush the crankcase with diesel or two stroke fuel if you do not want to take it apart.

|

7/15/2019 5:06 PM

Hondas4Life3 wrote:

If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the cases and clean everything out. You could also flush the crankcase with diesel or two stroke fuel if you do not want to take it apart.

Thats what I was afraid of. I will flush it for now. Then when I do a 144 kit I'll split the cases. There is no free play in the crank, so I figure I should be alright for now.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/15/2019 5:11 PM

Moto Mofo wrote:

Very cool! I’ve got a ‘98 in pieces that I plan on building someday. The pipe for these bikes is specific to this year model only, for some reason (I think the cylinder changed in ‘98, might have something to do with that). Anyway, the pipe is hard to find.

Who did your graphics? Looks great. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks. I have been able to find the Platinum pipes, and I swear I saw something somewhere about somebody being able to strip the platinum finish off of it to give it a works finish. Dare decals did my graphics. The metal flake is not very bright, but he can do fluorescent green.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/18/2019 2:30 PM

Hondas4Life3 wrote:

I feel like the crank is actually harder to budge than it should be. What could be causing this? Could the bearings just be totally shot? I don't have any up and down play, but I can't even get it to move by hand.

|

Amateur helmet painter

7/24/2019 5:29 PM

I finally got the cases split. The rod just really does not want to budge. The crank bearings were good, so the rod bearing is the culprit. I was either going to send it off for a rebuild, or try it myself, so then I can say I did the whole thing myself.

I put primer on the frame and a lot of parts are coming in. My SSS forks are here too. I might lay low for the next week. I need to make some money to fund this thing.

So many nut and bolt baggies

|

Amateur helmet painter

8/16/2019 6:14 AM

I got my crank back from Tom Morgan Racing. It glides like a hot knife through butter. I could barely get the thing to move when I first bought it. This thing is putting me in the poorhouse, but I'm slowly making progress. I hope I can have the bottom end together over the next couple days. I'm going to have to send the cylinder off to Tom Morgan too, to replate it since I was already on a C piston. After a while I will do the 144 though.

|

Amateur helmet painter

8/16/2019 12:55 PM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

I got my crank back from Tom Morgan Racing. It glides like a hot knife through butter. I could barely get the thing to move when I first bought it. This thing is putting me in the poorhouse, but I'm slowly making progress. I hope I can have the bottom end together over the next couple days. I'm going to have to send the cylinder off to Tom Morgan too, to replate it since I was already on a C piston. After a while I will do the 144 though.

Why hold off on the 144? I mean you have to plate it anyway..

|

8/16/2019 5:17 PM

toold&slow wrote:

Why hold off on the 144? I mean you have to plate it anyway..

I wanted to do just 125 for now because I was hoping to try to get somebody to race it for red bull straight rhythm. I'm not sure how strict they are about displacement though.

|

Amateur helmet painter