Tusk case spliter techniques

Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 6:56am
Finally bought one of the Tusk case splitter tools. What is the best placement for the three arms? Should I worry more about the crank area or try to cover the entire side?

I have a rubber deadblow but am not getting the cases to budge more than a hairline and don't want to force it. May not be using enough pressure but the arms are visibly bowing down a little unde pressure. I've quadruple checked that all case bolts are out (including the two ordinarily hidden by the ignition). Bike is '07 KX250 fwiw.
|
MXVet261
Posts
743
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Valley City, OH, USA
5/7/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2018 8:33pm
Because of where the threaded holes are on the ignition side and the fact that you put the center over the crankshaft, you end up with more leverage on the crank area by default.

You should not see any bowing of the arms. Make sure once again you are not missing a bolt.

As you tighten the splitter and put a little pressure, heat up the two spots on the cases that have the dowel pins in them to help those release. Also use a rubber, plastic, or brass mallet and tap lightly on the countershaft spline to help break that side of the cases free.

I have never had a set of cases not easily separate using the splitter. I feel like you must have something hanging it up.
MXVet261
Posts
743
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Valley City, OH, USA
5/7/2018 8:38pm
BTW there are normally 3 or 4 bolts underneath the stator inside the ignition cover.
ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
5/7/2018 8:58pm
Agree with above post, and another trick I do is when u have pressure on it take your rubber mallet and hit the case splitter where the bolt goes to the crank and them resnug case splitter bolts. I would only put splitter over crank area not the whole case
kb228
Posts
6153
Joined
1/31/2018
Location
Mansfield, OH, USA
5/8/2018 1:24am
I think you forgot a bolt somewhere.

The Shop

RockyRider
Posts
348
Joined
3/10/2016
Location
Nor Cal, CA, USA
5/8/2018 8:57am
Or you've got a corroded dowel somewhere. Heat up where the dowels are real good and don't be afraid to give it some love with a dead blow
5/8/2018 3:50pm
MXVet261 wrote:
BTW there are normally 3 or 4 bolts underneath the stator inside the ignition cover.
There were two, both removed before I rigged up the splitter.
5/8/2018 3:52pm
I can just see the front/forward facing edge of the case begin to have hairline opening. I backed off because, like ya'll, it should be coming apart a little easier.

Should I tap the end of the countershaft or the side (with the splines).
ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
5/8/2018 3:56pm
I can just see the front/forward facing edge of the case begin to have hairline opening. I backed off because, like ya'll, it should be coming...
I can just see the front/forward facing edge of the case begin to have hairline opening. I backed off because, like ya'll, it should be coming apart a little easier.

Should I tap the end of the countershaft or the side (with the splines).
See replies 1 and 3
5/9/2018 3:14pm
I've split a few cases in my life but this one is turning slightly frustrating.

I'll try to shoot a quick video showing both sides of the engine. Maybe I am missing something small and important that someone else will notice.
ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
5/9/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 4:51pm
OK it looks like you have everything ready to go and no that circlip is not holding it together, that just holds the tranny shaft in. The only thing I see you doing different than me is I put the splitter bolts in the stator screw holes right around the crank bearing where the stator is. The biggest spot that is pressed fit is the crank bearings
ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
5/9/2018 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 4:50pm
Try putting the screws in the stator screw holes around crank bearing and when you have good tension on it take your hammer and hit the splitter screw and then try to tighten the splitter screw. It won't move a lot but it should move some and just keep an eye on the 2 ends of the case to make sure it's coming apart even, if it's not you can use rubber mallet to hit sprocket shaft. Also once it start's to come apart u can use a screwdriver where the dowels are and lightly pry apart. It doesn't affect the sealing of the engine in those spots be careful and don't do this in any other area just where the dowels are
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
5/9/2018 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 6:06am
It looks like to me that the top splitter bolt by the rear of the cylinder is in a hole that has the threads in the clutch side case. If so, you are pulling against yourself. The same looks to be the case with the other two as well.
Try relocating your puller bolts to the area around the crank. The put under tension and give the case a few light hit with a dead blow hammer. It should split. You will need to continue to pull the case apart while tapping on the out put shaft to keep the trans shaft in place.
Watch this video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIcWDCEXxGo
Paw Paw
seth505
Posts
10216
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
SD, CA, USA
5/9/2018 4:43pm
^good point about the bolts reaching threads to the clutch side. I always line up my studs next to the case with the bolt on there to verify how deep they will thread (ensuring not to reach the other case).
5/10/2018 6:25am
Got it, thanks for the second set of eyes.





ktm-5
Posts
554
Joined
2/17/2017
Location
Ravenna, MI, USA
5/10/2018 12:22pm
Sweet congratulations, good to hear. If you don't have to mess with the tranny gears I take syran wrap and wrap it around the tranny a couple of time to keep it all together and put zip ties at the end of the shafts
5/11/2018 6:56am
ktm-5 wrote:
Sweet congratulations, good to hear. If you don't have to mess with the tranny gears I take syran wrap and wrap it around the tranny a...
Sweet congratulations, good to hear. If you don't have to mess with the tranny gears I take syran wrap and wrap it around the tranny a couple of time to keep it all together and put zip ties at the end of the shafts
Good tip. Need to get some saran wrap today.

Still waiting on my factory service manual to arrive. To get the transmission assembly out do I remove the two shift fork shafts or should it all come out as one hunk?
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
5/11/2018 7:21am
You will need to remove the shafts, forks, fork rods, shift drum as a group. As I recall the drum will need to be taken apart before it will come out. Or you can remove all but the drum as a unit. Be sure to not the orientation of the drum and the slots each for goes in to be sure you can put it back together correctly.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Tusk case spliter techniques

The Latest