Shock rebound help

Can't seem to get my shock to feel quite right when seat bouncing. I had a kx250f with stock shock just sprung for my weight and only ever messed with compression and it never kicked. Now I have an rmz250, stock shock again and sprung for my weight and cannot get it to stop kicking me when seat bouncing. I am running 105mm of sag as suggested by race tech and now rebound clicker is way off from stock setting (which from the individuals I have talked to usually doesnt stray far from stock on their race bikes.) Any suggestions on what I could try to remedy the kicking.
|
Paw Paw
11/2/2020 5:05pm
When was the shock last serviced or is it a new bike?
If a used bike, then first have the shock serviced.

Paw Paw
captmoto
11/2/2020 5:27pm
The new spring is wanting to push back faster. You might have to make a significant rebound adjustment. You can have too stiff of a spring for stock valving. I think if you go up more than 2 spring rates you might want to look at a revalve.
Factor E
11/2/2020 9:18pm
Drain and refill nitrogen to proper psi
may have bladder leak

The Shop

11/4/2020 7:15am
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
This is a new bike. 7 hours on it.
Paw Paw
11/4/2020 6:37pm
Check your shock linkage for proper amount of grease in them and not dry. If they run dry or are under lubed it can cause excess drag on the shocks actions.
Also be sure you have the correct amount of compression dampening dialed in, both low speed and high speed as they both will effect the rebounds action. You can try adjusting the compression for less dampening by a few clicks and see if it has any effect on the rebound .

Paw Paw
11/6/2020 6:58am
Paw Paw wrote:
Check your shock linkage for proper amount of grease in them and not dry. If they run dry or are under lubed it can cause excess...
Check your shock linkage for proper amount of grease in them and not dry. If they run dry or are under lubed it can cause excess drag on the shocks actions.
Also be sure you have the correct amount of compression dampening dialed in, both low speed and high speed as they both will effect the rebounds action. You can try adjusting the compression for less dampening by a few clicks and see if it has any effect on the rebound .

Paw Paw
I did tear apart and grease the linkage right after I bought the bike so hopefully that part is ok. I'll try to go a few clicks softer on compression dampening and see how that does. Thanks for the input!
Paw Paw
11/6/2020 3:05pm
Remember that the high speed and low speed compression and rebound have to work together foe all to be good with your shock.

Paw Paw
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/6/2020 3:18pm
Here is my shock rebound tip: dial in your sag settings and compression first, then do the rebound.
Also, try testing it in big, slow, rolling whoops. Hit them in a tall gear and medium speed, like you would toward the end of a moto when you are tired. If you have trouble keeping the bike straight, your rebound may be too slow. If you have trouble keeping your front end light (try to wheelie over one but you can't,) the rebound may be too fast.
I bet if you find a setting you like, this will make your seat bounce feel better.

Also remember: clockwise on the adjuster makes your rebound slower, counterclockwise makes it faster.
Paw Paw
11/6/2020 4:55pm
Falcon wrote:
Here is my shock rebound tip: dial in your sag settings and compression first, then do the rebound. Also, try testing it in big, slow, rolling...
Here is my shock rebound tip: dial in your sag settings and compression first, then do the rebound.
Also, try testing it in big, slow, rolling whoops. Hit them in a tall gear and medium speed, like you would toward the end of a moto when you are tired. If you have trouble keeping the bike straight, your rebound may be too slow. If you have trouble keeping your front end light (try to wheelie over one but you can't,) the rebound may be too fast.
I bet if you find a setting you like, this will make your seat bounce feel better.

Also remember: clockwise on the adjuster makes your rebound slower, counterclockwise makes it faster.
X2

Paw Paw
aees
11/7/2020 1:32pm
Kicking is more likely lack of high-speed compression. Not enough hsc will make it drive through the stroke to fast and want to rebound before you leave the jump face.
Go back to stock settings, and add some hsc instead.

For the suzuki I'm not sure either if 105 is enough. Might want to try 107 and even more hsc and lsc compression. That will calm it down in rear also.
11/8/2020 1:27pm
I did try 108 and it felt really choppered out and front end traction felt light so I went to 105. I’ll also try going back to stock and messing with hsc. Thanks everyone for the ideas of what to try
aees
11/8/2020 1:37pm
Go in a few clicks or 0.5-0.75 turn hsc with 105 såg then. If it becomes to stiff, go out 2-4 clicks on lsc instead.
lumpy790
11/12/2020 6:28pm
Paw Paw wrote:

Paw Paw
This is a new bike. 7 hours on it.
Simple Shock service getting the old fish oil out and fresh shock oil in will do wonders.

Post a reply to: Shock rebound help

The Latest