Lowering link 14-18 yz250f thoughts

Zycki11
Posts
7917
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2022 7:22pm
Thoughts on using one? This is not for seat height, I am looking into it for handling. I’m 5’11 and tinkering with my bike. Enzo suspension is on it and about to have it serviced here shortly. Opinions on shortening the shock or lowering link for better handling. Thanks
|
fourfourone
Posts
3046
Joined
10/14/2017
Location
86oh, CT, USA
1/29/2020 10:07am
I did one on my 17 450. Made the bike turn in easier. I did the link and slid the fork up 5mm. Bike handles a lot better.
1
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
1/29/2020 12:09pm
My experience is that it made the front end push in the turns unless I could get the forks well up into the tree. It also changed the rear dampening a good bit.

Paw Paw
1
cwtoyota
Posts
2416
Joined
3/11/2013
Location
Tacoma, WA, USA
1/29/2020 10:55pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Thoughts on using one? This is not for seat height, I am looking into it for handling. I’m 5’11 and tinkering with my bike. Enzo suspension...
Thoughts on using one? This is not for seat height, I am looking into it for handling. I’m 5’11 and tinkering with my bike. Enzo suspension is on it and about to have it serviced here shortly. Opinions on shortening the shock or lowering link for better handling. Thanks
I owned a 2014 YZ450F for about 6 months and couldn't make it work well everywhere on every day.
It was the worst feeling chassis I've ever owned at some tracks and about average on a good day.

The link helped a ton, but that chassis is really sensitive to small adjustments, especially with the 450 engine.

I know a couple local racer kids who had the 2014 and 2015 YZ250F models. One was set up by PC and one by Devol racing. Both had the longer link, springs, valving and clamps. Both bikes handled great, unlike the 450F. The Devol bike was better in every section of the track. They were 160 lbs novice kids and I'm a 165 lbs expert in my late 30's.

I wouldn't hesitate to get the link, except you said Enzo. I've heard that Enzo shortens the shock. I'm sure you don't want to do both. Ask Enzo which setting they recommend if they're doing your valving. You're way better off using their entire setting as a starting point.

Ultimately, the longer link changes the progression of the suspension, so it will effect spring and valving settings. Maybe ENZO does or doesn't have a different valving spec for use with a link?

By the way, Devol and JGR sell links that can be adjusted for various lengths. If you get a link, check those out.
2
m21racing
Posts
649
Joined
7/19/2016
Location
Reno, NV, USA
1/30/2020 8:28am
I'd just do a 2mm lowering spacer in shock. Cheaper, yes but helps bike with proper valving do just as well. Specifically coming into braking bumps, as well as faster downhill sections. We tested this mod at the prairie city track where Hangtown nat is held. Spring rates definitely factor in, but preload is something to consider. For example, some companies may sell a 492mm spring, while factory length is 497mm. The factory springs have a slight progression at top of stroke, while aftermarket springs tend to be the "straight rate" template. Those were good bikes for sure.
1

The Shop

rob162
Posts
608
Joined
7/8/2015
Location
USA
1/30/2020 1:44pm
I have a pc link helped a ton once you get it dialed in. Anything you do to suspension will always need some adjusting to get max benefits since everyone rides different. I also shortend my suspension 1 inch. That made a huge difference in handling as well.
1
Zycki11
Posts
7917
Joined
4/1/2008
Location
Edwardsville, IL, USA
1/30/2020 8:46pm
I ride very far forward. Jumping and neutral position while standing. I’m honestly looking for the rear to settle and take some pressure off the front end when coming into turns and also to allow it to tip in better.
Tenacious P
Posts
325
Joined
9/1/2016
Location
SoCal, CA, USA
2/16/2020 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2020 1:43pm
I got one for 16 450. It wasn’t the magic pill
I hoped for... it settles the rear end from skipping side to side, but kinda choppers the front out AP7 style. I learned that if I rode on top
Of the gas cap it all starts to gel. 5mm up in the triple clamp also.
Save some $$ and look for other year linkages. I learned after the fact that stock WR450 (off-road) links were the same size as the $200 Ride ones I bought.
1
garasaki
Posts
208
Joined
1/20/2021
Location
Mount Vernon, IA, USA
1/5/2022 12:59pm
I got one for 16 450. It wasn’t the magic pill I hoped for... it settles the rear end from skipping side to side, but kinda...
I got one for 16 450. It wasn’t the magic pill
I hoped for... it settles the rear end from skipping side to side, but kinda choppers the front out AP7 style. I learned that if I rode on top
Of the gas cap it all starts to gel. 5mm up in the triple clamp also.
Save some $$ and look for other year linkages. I learned after the fact that stock WR450 (off-road) links were the same size as the $200 Ride ones I bought.
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but any more info on the WR links being 1.5mm or 2mm longer than the YZ?
DirtBikeKid46
Posts
239
Joined
12/21/2015
Location
Philadelphia, PA, USA
1/6/2022 7:22pm
I liked mine, just sold bike and have one for sale. 14+ yzf. Factory Connection blue pullrod.
$150 shipped



Post a reply to: Lowering link 14-18 yz250f thoughts

The Latest