KX 450 FI calibration tool help

Cashmoney24
3/29/2020 4:04am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 11:02pm
Hi everyone,

I got the FI calibration tool for my 2019 KX 450 and wanted to see if anyone had any links or instruction as to how it is installed (and used) on the newer bike? The online pdf stops at the 2018 and I've been looking around and found nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

|
dmm698
3/29/2020 8:49am
Hi everyone, I got the FI calibration tool for my 2019 KX 450 and wanted to see if anyone had any links or instruction as to...
Hi everyone,

I got the FI calibration tool for my 2019 KX 450 and wanted to see if anyone had any links or instruction as to how it is installed (and used) on the newer bike? The online pdf stops at the 2018 and I've been looking around and found nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you get a sub harness with it for your bike? If I remember correctly the plug is buried under the tank. I ran my sub harness over to my radiator brace inside the shroud to connect to it easily. They may have 19-20 specific stuff now but when I did mine it was very early fall of 18 so a lot of stuff wasnt out yet.
Cashmoney24
3/29/2020 8:53am
Yup. I got all the required parts, but the online manual doesn’t specify anything for the newer model Kx. I had the widows based tool for my 2015 kx 450, and it mounted behind the front number plate (if I remember correctly), and it ran down the left side of the bike. But there were a lot more parts required for that bike than mine...
RGaede
3/29/2020 11:36am
The plug to connect the subharness to is just behind the left shroud, taped up. I don't leave the subharness on, i find it pretty easy to take out inne shroud bolt and plug in. Pic of the plug where the subharness connects:
Cashmoney24
3/29/2020 12:32pm
RGaede wrote:
The plug to connect the subharness to is just behind the left shroud, taped up. I don't leave the subharness on, i find it pretty easy...
The plug to connect the subharness to is just behind the left shroud, taped up. I don't leave the subharness on, i find it pretty easy to take out inne shroud bolt and plug in. Pic of the plug where the subharness connects:
Cool thanks. Just found what you talking about. Probably easier if it left disconnected anyway. I was looking at how to route the wire and it looks like it would just be a pain to keep it in there. Do you find the tool easy to use?

If you rewrite the map using the white coupler with the Keefer settings, and then were to simply switch back to the green coupler, would the setting go back to those of the standard green coupler or would the re programmed ones still be in there?

Sorry, but this is a tad confusing and the instructions/manual are not the clearest

The Shop

RF219
3/29/2020 4:48pm
if you have not changed anything on your green coupler it will be same as stock.
7/19/2022 11:20am
Need some help here i have 2020 kx450. And i have just got a handheld calibration unit but when i go in to the meny there is no new bikes there the newest is 2016, should i just use that folder and then do the corrections there or is there a way to get 2020 bikes folder ?
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
7/22/2022 11:02pm
Need some help here i have 2020 kx450. And i have just got a handheld calibration unit but when i go in to the meny there...
Need some help here i have 2020 kx450. And i have just got a handheld calibration unit but when i go in to the meny there is no new bikes there the newest is 2016, should i just use that folder and then do the corrections there or is there a way to get 2020 bikes folder ?
Just use the latest year in there... it really doesn’t matter
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
7/23/2022 6:48am
The coupler that is installed when programming is the only one that changes. You can reprogram the white and black couplers for sure and it is not confirmed if you can reprogram the green but I suspect you can which means you can have 4 different maps loaded. If you want the factory base map you can always run no coupler. That is always there unless your ecu base map is reflashed which is not possible with the Kawi tool.

Basically these couplers are each assigned a mask that goes on top of the base map. The kawi tool lets you edit that mask. The green coupler has all zeroes from the factory which means it lets the base map go through unmodified. This is how the Yamaha and GET ecus work too.
RGaede
7/23/2022 7:53am
Need some help here i have 2020 kx450. And i have just got a handheld calibration unit but when i go in to the meny there...
I thought so too but Kawasaki told me differently when the 2019s came out. My local service guy had me email and get a file that had the new bike's in them. Kawasaki wants to charge for the updated files, but an email to customer service is always worth it, especially with how expensive the tool is.

Kawasaki FI Calibration Tool update CD
dancolvin633
Fantasy
2171st
7/24/2022 8:40pm
RGaede wrote:
I thought so too but Kawasaki told me differently when the 2019s came out. My local service guy had me email and get a file that...
I thought so too but Kawasaki told me differently when the 2019s came out. My local service guy had me email and get a file that had the new bike's in them. Kawasaki wants to charge for the updated files, but an email to customer service is always worth it, especially with how expensive the tool is.

Kawasaki FI Calibration Tool update CD
I have been using the tool with the old software on the new bikes no problem.... I put it in as a 2016 but once I plug the bike in it recognizes it as what it is, and able to make all the changes I want.
Red7
6/18/2023 5:09pm

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd revive this one to keep the info together since surprisingly, this is the only forum thread I've come across on the KX Calibration tool.  I bought one on Marketplace for $150 and it came with everything except the sub-harness.  Do I need that or can I program couplers without it and then plug them into my bike.  The one I got only goes up to 2016 which is fine for my 2013 KX450f (hoping I fix the notorious popping these bikes are famous for) and 2013 KX250f.  But I also just picked up a 2023 KX450 and want to program Keefer's Cha map to make it smoother at low throttle settings.  Now, I do have the cable that goes from the controller to a coupler so can I just program a coupler with that and then plug it into the bike or do you really need the sub-harness and do all the programming on the bike?  There were no instructions and it's confusing on the process.  Thanks!

RGaede
6/18/2023 6:23pm
Red7 wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd revive this one to keep the info together since surprisingly, this is the only forum thread I've...

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd revive this one to keep the info together since surprisingly, this is the only forum thread I've come across on the KX Calibration tool.  I bought one on Marketplace for $150 and it came with everything except the sub-harness.  Do I need that or can I program couplers without it and then plug them into my bike.  The one I got only goes up to 2016 which is fine for my 2013 KX450f (hoping I fix the notorious popping these bikes are famous for) and 2013 KX250f.  But I also just picked up a 2023 KX450 and want to program Keefer's Cha map to make it smoother at low throttle settings.  Now, I do have the cable that goes from the controller to a coupler so can I just program a coupler with that and then plug it into the bike or do you really need the sub-harness and do all the programming on the bike?  There were no instructions and it's confusing on the process.  Thanks!

All the coupler does is tell the ecu which of three maps to use.  Just connecting a coupler to the tool will not do anything,  it needs to be connected to the bike.  

Red7
6/18/2023 8:53pm
Red7 wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd revive this one to keep the info together since surprisingly, this is the only forum thread I've...

RGaede wrote:
All the coupler does is tell the ecu which of three maps to use.  Just connecting a coupler to the tool will not do anything,  it...

All the coupler does is tell the ecu which of three maps to use.  Just connecting a coupler to the tool will not do anything,  it needs to be connected to the bike.  

Ok, I thought the file was on the coupler and the ECU re-flashed it when changed.  Sounds like I need to buy the sub-harness.

Post a reply to: KX 450 FI calibration tool help

The Latest