How to delace wheel?

CC268
Posts
287
Joined
7/22/2013
Location
Surprise, AZ, USA
Edited Date/Time 12/9/2016 9:22am
Kind of a stupid question, but I have never done it. There are a ton of videos on how to lace and true a wheel, but not much for delacing. Is there a certain way you go about delacing a wheel?

Thanks!
|
12/9/2016 9:41am
Grinder and cut them out, replace spokes
CC268
Posts
287
Joined
7/22/2013
Location
Surprise, AZ, USA
12/9/2016 10:15am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Grinder and cut them out, replace spokes
Oh really? You can't loosen the nipples and take them out that way?
bf884
Posts
511
Joined
1/11/2016
Location
Belle Chasse, LA, USA
12/9/2016 10:40am Edited Date/Time 12/9/2016 10:41am
Best thing to do is replace. No telling how warped they will be. Grinder with a cut wheel or bolt cutters
Dtat720
Posts
1588
Joined
2/20/2015
Location
Flowood, MS, USA
12/9/2016 10:57am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Grinder and cut them out, replace spokes
CC268 wrote:
Oh really? You can't loosen the nipples and take them out that way?
Once you release the tension unlacing them they will never hold true or tension consistently again. If you can even get them all out, most times nipples will be stripped in the process of removal. Just cut them and relace with new stuff.

The Shop

steve_97060
Posts
1400
Joined
10/4/2009
Location
Florence, AZ, USA
12/9/2016 11:49am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Grinder and cut them out, replace spokes
CC268 wrote:
Oh really? You can't loosen the nipples and take them out that way?
Dtat720 wrote:
Once you release the tension unlacing them they will never hold true or tension consistently again. If you can even get them all out, most times...
Once you release the tension unlacing them they will never hold true or tension consistently again. If you can even get them all out, most times nipples will be stripped in the process of removal. Just cut them and relace with new stuff.
not to mention the amount of time it would take..
JWACK
Posts
2588
Joined
8/7/2009
Location
USA
12/9/2016 12:35pm
If you want to try and Unlace them. Soak the nipples over night with WD. Then use a cordless drill on the back side of the nipple. Takes like 2 minutes to Unlace a wheel this way. It should be a good size flat head attachment. I've rebuilt tons of wheels using old spokes with no issues. Sometimes you can't get them loose. If this is the case put the heat on them. If that doesn't work just cut them off.
Paw Paw 271
Posts
3632
Joined
4/3/2013
Location
Benton, LA, USA
12/9/2016 1:25pm
I was a service manager for a large bike shop and we learned to just cut them out as the reusable rate was just too low to justify the labor cost to attempt to remove and reuse.

Paw Paw
CC268
Posts
287
Joined
7/22/2013
Location
Surprise, AZ, USA
12/12/2016 8:14am
Thanks for the feedback guys!
mxtech1
Posts
1968
Joined
7/21/2011
Location
Galesburg, IL, USA
12/12/2016 8:32am
Are you guys kidding me???

This isn't a service shop or a race team with unlimited resources!

I've unlaced and re-laced many wheels without any problems. Sure, you occasionally run into a stripped nipple, bent spoke, etc. But you can easily get loose nipples and spokes as needed for replacements.

Op...if you have the time and patience, you should try to unlace. You have to loosen each nipple only a little at a time, using the every third spoke technique just like when lacing. It should take 4-6 trips around the wheel before you start to see the hub unload from the spokes. Patience and proper technique is key. Don't stress the spokes and you will be fine!
sandman768
Posts
8251
Joined
3/21/2014
Location
Saratoga Springs, NY, USA
12/12/2016 10:34am
I just replaced all rear spokes on my 92 rm 250, about 10 were loose but seized to nipples, moose spoke kit is 48.00$, I cut out 1 at a time & replaced after each one I cut out, rim is just as straight as it was before I started, I never laced a complete wheel, so I just did 1 at a time...I also used anti seize on the nipples.

Post a reply to: How to delace wheel?

The Latest