Euro/Jap Bolt Differences

Tak_ryan
12/11/2021 11:35am
What are the differences between European and Japanese hardware ?

For instance—will Honda/Kaw/Yam M6/M8 bolts work the same on a Ktm/Husky?
|
burns
12/11/2021 12:01pm
a m6 bolt is a m6 bolt. if its the same thread pitch and length it doesn't matter what manufacturer its from
Tak_ryan
12/11/2021 12:45pm
burns wrote:
a m6 bolt is a m6 bolt. if its the same thread pitch and length it doesn't matter what manufacturer its from
That’s what I thought
MKMX
12/11/2021 3:42pm
Just make sure your tensile ratings are the same 👍
dkurtd
12/11/2021 4:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/11/2021 5:27pm
I think the biggest difference is what might be a 12 or 14mm wrench size on a Japanese bike will be a 13mm on an Austrian bike. I never used a 13mm wrench until my grandkids started riding KTM's. Got used to only carrying an 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 T-handles to the track, not anymore.

The Shop

DuroTools
12/13/2021 4:49pm
Tak_ryan wrote:
What are the differences between European and Japanese hardware ?

For instance—will Honda/Kaw/Yam M6/M8 bolts work the same on a Ktm/Husky?
Another thing which really isnt a huge deal but might be worth mentioning is that the ktm bolts have torx in the inside which saves a tiny amount of weight over 100 bolts and also if you ever strip a bolt somehow you can use the torx in the inside to still remove it. They also have a more modern better look imo.
MX558
12/25/2021 6:31am
Another nice thing about KTM .If you lose any plastic fasteners you can go to home Depot and pick up some drywall screws as replacements 😂😂
jordand20
12/27/2021 1:03am Edited Date/Time 12/27/2021 1:03am
dkurtd wrote:
I think the biggest difference is what might be a 12 or 14mm wrench size on a Japanese bike will be a 13mm on an Austrian...
I think the biggest difference is what might be a 12 or 14mm wrench size on a Japanese bike will be a 13mm on an Austrian bike. I never used a 13mm wrench until my grandkids started riding KTM's. Got used to only carrying an 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 T-handles to the track, not anymore.
14mm to 13mm is weight savings!
dkurtd
12/27/2021 11:04am
dkurtd wrote:
I think the biggest difference is what might be a 12 or 14mm wrench size on a Japanese bike will be a 13mm on an Austrian...
jordand20 wrote:
My argument wasn't about weight, it was about the fact I now had to carry around more wrenches.
hylo
12/28/2021 7:31am
Another cool thing is that KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas bolts and fasterners seem to be coated with something that actually lasts some time. And torx beats the living shit out of hex heads.
DuroTools
12/28/2021 7:49am
hylo wrote:
Another cool thing is that KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas bolts and fasterners seem to be coated with something that actually lasts some time. And torx beats the living...
Another cool thing is that KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas bolts and fasterners seem to be coated with something that actually lasts some time. And torx beats the living shit out of hex heads.
Really I actually think they start to rust pretty easily compared to the nickel coated stuff on the Japanese bikes. If I could get these KTM bolts nickel plated or better yet cerakoted ( likely never happen cause of cost) that would be ideal cause I prefer the looks of the ktm bolts but as soon as you put a wrench on them they begin to rust imo.
12/28/2021 10:52am
hylo wrote:
Another cool thing is that KTM/Husqvarna/Gas Gas bolts and fasterners seem to be coated with something that actually lasts some time. And torx beats the living...
DuroTools wrote:
Really I actually think they start to rust pretty easily compared to the nickel coated stuff on the Japanese bikes. If I could get these KTM...
Really I actually think they start to rust pretty easily compared to the nickel coated stuff on the Japanese bikes. If I could get these KTM bolts nickel plated or better yet cerakoted ( likely never happen cause of cost) that would be ideal cause I prefer the looks of the ktm bolts but as soon as you put a wrench on them they begin to rust imo.
My local plating shop does a full 5 gallon bucket of bolts zinc for like $150 or at least they used to 2 years ago might be more now. Color does change the cost a bit. They also do rack plating where they wire up each bolt individually but it costs a bit more.
captmoto
1/1/2022 7:59pm
dkurtd wrote:
My argument wasn't about weight, it was about the fact I now had to carry around more wrenches.
Not really. You substitute the the 12 for the 13.
DuroTools
1/1/2022 8:42pm
hylo wrote:
DuroTools wrote:
Really I actually think they start to rust pretty easily compared to the nickel coated stuff on the Japanese bikes. If I could get these KTM...
My local plating shop does a full 5 gallon bucket of bolts zinc for like $150 or at least they used to 2 years ago might...
My local plating shop does a full 5 gallon bucket of bolts zinc for like $150 or at least they used to 2 years ago might be more now. Color does change the cost a bit. They also do rack plating where they wire up each bolt individually but it costs a bit more.
I was thinking of buying a diy plating kit or cerakoting myself but bought a full kit for 60 bucks with all new hardware. Literally has every bolt and even spares except for the suspension, engine and main chassis bolts. I actually ended up starting to slowly convert all the chassis bolts to titanium.
FWYT
1/1/2022 11:30pm
DuroTools wrote:
I was thinking of buying a diy plating kit or cerakoting myself but bought a full kit for 60 bucks with all new hardware. Literally has...
I was thinking of buying a diy plating kit or cerakoting myself but bought a full kit for 60 bucks with all new hardware. Literally has every bolt and even spares except for the suspension, engine and main chassis bolts. I actually ended up starting to slowly convert all the chassis bolts to titanium.
Yeah, those kits are the way to go. I tried a DIY plating and while it was fun to learn and try out, in the end I got a Nickel Wurks kit from Spec Bolt and that was the best bang for the buck.
hylo
1/2/2022 12:46am
FWYT wrote:
Yeah, those kits are the way to go. I tried a DIY plating and while it was fun to learn and try out, in the end...
Yeah, those kits are the way to go. I tried a DIY plating and while it was fun to learn and try out, in the end I got a Nickel Wurks kit from Spec Bolt and that was the best bang for the buck.
I got to admit, the nickel wurks kit looks really good!
Rickyisms
1/2/2022 7:04am
I bought the nickel wurks as well in the past. Solid stuff!
murph783
1/2/2022 9:48am
dkurtd wrote:
jordand20 wrote:
dkurtd wrote:
Less weight on the bike, more in the box? Seems fair Grinning
dkurtd
1/2/2022 2:10pm
dkurtd wrote:
captmoto wrote:
Not really. You substitute the the 12 for the 13.
Not really, when I ride a Japanese bike and still need the 12 and the 14.
captmoto
1/2/2022 6:05pm
dkurtd wrote:
Well I hope that 13 doesn't slow you down too much.

Pit Row

dkurtd
1/2/2022 7:38pm
dkurtd wrote:
captmoto wrote:
Well I hope that 13 doesn't slow you down too much.
It won't.
rjg
1/3/2022 9:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2022 9:08pm
hylo wrote:
You nailed it. I have 3 ktms from 2012 up. Hardware hasn't rusted and i dont coat with anything. RUST must might be because of a brute on hardware or chemicals/water quality during washing
hylo
1/4/2022 6:35am
rjg wrote:
You nailed it. I have 3 ktms from 2012 up. Hardware hasn't rusted and i dont coat with anything. RUST must might be because of a...
You nailed it. I have 3 ktms from 2012 up. Hardware hasn't rusted and i dont coat with anything. RUST must might be because of a brute on hardware or chemicals/water quality during washing
I sometimes do!

Fwiw I usually use torx instead of hex on the bolt. The torx slots seem to be a tighter fit and that may prolong the life of the coating some.

And quality metric tools. Always. Torque to spec. Always. Loctite where needed. Always.
DuroTools
1/4/2022 9:58am
hylo wrote:
I sometimes do! Fwiw I usually use torx instead of hex on the bolt. The torx slots seem to be a tighter fit and that may...
I sometimes do!

Fwiw I usually use torx instead of hex on the bolt. The torx slots seem to be a tighter fit and that may prolong the life of the coating some.

And quality metric tools. Always. Torque to spec. Always. Loctite where needed. Always.
Using the inside torx seemed like a bad idea to me at first but for the bolts that are a low torque number which is the majority of them this actually makes sense cause the outside where the bolts get tightened are the ones that I see getting rusted. I'm doing a build now and will give this a try when I start to go around replacing bolts. The kit I bought doesnt have the m8x40 and m8x50 which is the size you need for the triple clamps nor did it have the m8x20 for the fork lugs. If anyone knows a kit that has those sizes included please let me know.
hylo
1/4/2022 1:33pm
DuroTools wrote:
Using the inside torx seemed like a bad idea to me at first but for the bolts that are a low torque number which is the...
Using the inside torx seemed like a bad idea to me at first but for the bolts that are a low torque number which is the majority of them this actually makes sense cause the outside where the bolts get tightened are the ones that I see getting rusted. I'm doing a build now and will give this a try when I start to go around replacing bolts. The kit I bought doesnt have the m8x40 and m8x50 which is the size you need for the triple clamps nor did it have the m8x20 for the fork lugs. If anyone knows a kit that has those sizes included please let me know.
Yes! I think the smaller contact area of the torx makes for less corrosion. I bought the Bolt Pro-pack set a few weeks ago. Havent recieved it yet, but if it shows up the next few days I’ll report back to you.

If you are really desperate, go to KTM’s sparepartsfinder and find the bolts you need. Most KTM dealers here in Europe usually have a selection of nuts and bolts for the bikes availible. I bet yours have it too.

Post a reply to: Euro/Jap Bolt Differences

The Latest

The Latest