Cylinder scarring tolerances?

Blackjack31
Ok guys, so I have always wondered when you should replace your cylinder. I personally believe that a little wear around the ports is OK but obviously not ideal. It’s when you have a scratch that can hang your fingernail is when it’s trash. What are your thoughts? I’ve heard that you can still hone out those fingernail catching scratches and I’ve also heard that no matter what, if there is any wear on a cylinder, have it replated. What do y’all go by?
|
kb228
8/1/2019 10:48am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2019 4:10am
If i notice any scratching i get it replated. Its better than new. Sometimes with small scratches you can hone it lightly or use a scotch brite pad to get rid of it. But it depends. If the cross hatch is gone just get it replated and bored to the piston youll use.

Edit: wanted to add, by small scratch i mean an extremely small convex bump/tiny bur. If its gouged concave dont bother with honing as others said. Get it plated. And pricing depends on the cylinder size. $200-$300
Blackjack31
8/1/2019 1:22pm
How much does it usually run to get one replated? I see on their websites (example: Eric Gorr) and it says like $250 or something but I’m afraid there are a lot of hidden fees and they are gonna hit me with like a $350 bill
Paul_Pitzonka
8/1/2019 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2019 6:04pm
Last one I had done cost me $218.95 through powerseal shipped to my door... as long as the cylinder only needs a strip and re-plate that’s about the price you can expect... also any actual gouges can’t be honed out of a plated cylinder...
mxtech1
8/1/2019 7:32pm
Measure measure measure

You should never be guessing if it's good to go for another piston or not. The manual tells you exactly how, where, and why to measure.

Every method you all have suggested are just qualitative inspection methods that provide little to no useful information about the overall wear of the cylinder.

The Shop

sandman768
8/2/2019 4:50am
You can usually see if the plating is worn off in spots, also feel for a ridge on the top portion of the cylinder wall where the rings stop, if a ridge can be felt, the plating is worn...Jeff Slavens has a good utube video covering cylinder wear.
SBD
8/2/2019 10:28am
mxtech1 wrote:
Measure measure measure You should never be guessing if it's good to go for another piston or not. The manual tells you exactly how, where, and...
Measure measure measure

You should never be guessing if it's good to go for another piston or not. The manual tells you exactly how, where, and why to measure.

Every method you all have suggested are just qualitative inspection methods that provide little to no useful information about the overall wear of the cylinder.
What is your recommended method of measuring the bore ?
Bore gage, CMM, ? What out of round tolerence is too much ?

Thanks
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
8/2/2019 9:01pm
dial bore gauge and micrometer for measuring bore. your manual will have tolerances for roundness and cylinder measurements.

Post a reply to: Cylinder scarring tolerances?

The Latest