Calling ALL Steel frame SSS conversion owners

buzzlight52
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2019 12:20pm
Hey guys, currently rebuilding my 06 yz 250 and thinking about getting another bike down the road. Buddy has an 03 yz 250 I got him to buy and really liked how it felt. Im interested in getting an 02-04 yz and eventually switching the forks and shock. Just wondering what it would entail to swap SSS forks over and if i need to get a 06+ shock and what parts will need to be acquired (different triple clams, brake system, etc.) including, if possible, how much it costs. Also to note if its just worthwhile to do a revolve and springs instead. All knowledge is appreciated
|
12/30/2018 11:24am
Hey guys, currently rebuilding my 06 yz 250 and thinking about getting another bike down the road. Buddy has an 03 yz 250 I got him...
Hey guys, currently rebuilding my 06 yz 250 and thinking about getting another bike down the road. Buddy has an 03 yz 250 I got him to buy and really liked how it felt. Im interested in getting an 02-04 yz and eventually switching the forks and shock. Just wondering what it would entail to swap SSS forks over and if i need to get a 06+ shock and what parts will need to be acquired (different triple clams, brake system, etc.) including, if possible, how much it costs. Also to note if its just worthwhile to do a revolve and springs instead. All knowledge is appreciated
If an 02-03 you'll need the forks, triple clamps, and wheel spacers. Any forks 09+ 250f or 450f will need the front brake caliper.

Also you will need to press out the old steering stem and press it to the new triples. Overall really easy project
1/5/2019 2:35pm
Buy 04 and your 06 forks fit right in 04 clamps , 04 was first year with 48mm forks so check it's 48mm , 02-03 have 46mm kayabas !
1/5/2019 2:51pm
If it’s in your budget you should do the four stroke swingarm swap too. I personally haven’t done it to my 2011 YZ250 yet but it’s in the plans to do
bugnboo
1/5/2019 8:08pm
If it’s in your budget you should do the four stroke swingarm swap too. I personally haven’t done it to my 2011 YZ250 yet but it’s...
If it’s in your budget you should do the four stroke swingarm swap too. I personally haven’t done it to my 2011 YZ250 yet but it’s in the plans to do
I was reading either here or thumper talk where somebody had done the conversion and was not happy
Just something to think about...

The Shop

1/6/2019 12:28pm
If it’s in your budget you should do the four stroke swingarm swap too. I personally haven’t done it to my 2011 YZ250 yet but it’s...
It makes the rear wheel sit too far back. I tried it and didn't like the change it did for turning
deccr250
1/7/2019 10:49am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 10:51am
Currently building a 2004 YZ250 and I’ve done the SSS conversion.
Was slightly easier for me as it’s an 04 so the different clamps etc..
This is what I used -
-2004 PC triple clamps (can use standard 04 clamps)
- 2009 YZF250 Forks
- 2009 YZF250 Front wheel, axle and spacers
- 2010-2013 YZF250 Rear shock (just swap the lower spring collar from your standard shock on to the YZF shock and it bolts straight in)
- CRF450 Front brake caliper
- CRF450 Front brake master cylinder
- 2009 YZF250 Caliper bracket
- YZ250 Brake Line

The brake upgrades are optional but I’d definitely recommend them as it’s a massive improvement from the brakes the YZ250 comes with Smile
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
1/7/2019 6:14pm
Except valving, is the YZ250F shock actually any different than the 04 shock?
deccr250
1/7/2019 11:49pm
Except valving, is the YZ250F shock actually any different than the 04 shock?
I’ve got a 2 piece KYB shock from one of Cooper Webb’s old bikes so it’s a a huge improvement from the standard shock.
Can’t comment on the standard YZF shock though, although kit shocks for YZF’s are a lot easier to find than they are for the YZ’s so it’s good to know they’re interchangeable Smile
DaveJ
1/9/2019 10:09am Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 10:13am
Can't tell you how many of these I have done.

The very first one was my own 01 YZ.

So...here's what you need to know.

1. Nearly all shocks in the YZ 46mm group are a drop-in swap. The only exception would be the later model shocks where the N2 reservoir is not parallel with the shock body. That said, there isn't much advantage with swapping the shock. Tuning is more important. In other words, you can make a 2001 shock work just as good as a 2009.

2. Not all SSS forks are the same. They have different lengths and different upper tube sizes, (ODs) especially 2010 and beyond. This isn't a big deal but just keep in mind that you'll need to watch for this. That said, they are basically the same fork from 2006 to 2019. Oh...the 05 is the KYB AOS fork - a twin chamber fork, but very VERY different than the 06-19 fork.

3. Keep in mind that there are different brake caliper mounts. The biggest difference is the earlier wide mount, and the narrower mounts. Again, not a big deal but watch for it.

4. Also consider things like fork guards. The designs got better in later models.

5. When purchasing something used on eBay it's "buyer beware". Some forks and shocks are in great shape, others are beat to sh*t. The good news is that KYB parts are super cheap and easy to get.

6. Don't buy ANYTHING that has a color change. Most of these have gone through a process where they strip the factory anodizing off and then anodize them a different color. This process appears to strip off the anti-friction coating on the inside (shock and fork tubes) even when sealed off.

7. It's fairly common for the lugs to come lose on KYB forks. Test for it. They can often be repaired but if they have been ran loose for too long, the treads will be trashed and the tube and lug will need to be replaced.

8. It's very common for KYB SS forks to have cracked free pistons. If they don't, the pistons will most likely be significantly degraded. Replace them with aluminum units. It's also fairly common for the damping rods to lose their Type II coating, taking out the seal and bushing with it.

9. Don't trust any suspension you buy. Take it apart and do a full inspection. And measure the spring rate as well as the length. Make sure you have the right length for your fork, (there are 5 different KYB 48mm fork spring lengths). Keep in mind that some people do some stupid stuff sometimes and you don't want to risk your health. Check EVERYTHING!!

10. You may have to create a new steering lock on your steel frame to work with a new clamp. See photo.

And I'll add this...the 48mm KYB open bath forks that came on the WRs, starting in 06, when tuned correctly, are a better fork than the SSS. Heavier, but better. Almost no degradation, which is more relevant in an off-road application.
But they don't seem as cool.

jmarelt
4/13/2019 5:53am
deccr250 wrote:
Currently building a 2004 YZ250 and I’ve done the SSS conversion. Was slightly easier for me as it’s an 04 so the different clamps etc.. This...
Currently building a 2004 YZ250 and I’ve done the SSS conversion.
Was slightly easier for me as it’s an 04 so the different clamps etc..
This is what I used -
-2004 PC triple clamps (can use standard 04 clamps)
- 2009 YZF250 Forks
- 2009 YZF250 Front wheel, axle and spacers
- 2010-2013 YZF250 Rear shock (just swap the lower spring collar from your standard shock on to the YZF shock and it bolts straight in)
- CRF450 Front brake caliper
- CRF450 Front brake master cylinder
- 2009 YZF250 Caliper bracket
- YZ250 Brake Line

The brake upgrades are optional but I’d definitely recommend them as it’s a massive improvement from the brakes the YZ250 comes with Smile
Hey Deccr250, which brake hose did you use? I’m doing the swap right now and bought a complete sss set up from a 2014 yz450f. The brake hose also from a 2014 model but it appears to be just a tad too short. It’s causing the fork guard to rub against the lower fork tube.
deccr250
4/13/2019 6:00am
jmarelt wrote:
Hey Deccr250, which brake hose did you use? I’m doing the swap right now and bought a complete sss set up from a 2014 yz450f. The...
Hey Deccr250, which brake hose did you use? I’m doing the swap right now and bought a complete sss set up from a 2014 yz450f. The brake hose also from a 2014 model but it appears to be just a tad too short. It’s causing the fork guard to rub against the lower fork tube.
Hey bud, I’m using a CRF450 master cylinder and caliper so I used a braided CRF450 brake line which worked fine.
You may be better off using the standard YZ brake line
jmarelt
4/13/2019 6:30pm
jmarelt wrote:
Hey Deccr250, which brake hose did you use? I’m doing the swap right now and bought a complete sss set up from a 2014 yz450f. The...
deccr250 wrote:
Hey bud, I’m using a CRF450 master cylinder and caliper so I used a braided CRF450 brake line which worked fine. You may be better off...
Hey bud, I’m using a CRF450 master cylinder and caliper so I used a braided CRF450 brake line which worked fine.
You may be better off using the standard YZ brake line
Okay, thanks for the info. I did ending finding a really good deal on a complete front brake setup from a 2017 yz450f so I bought that. Hoping that it will fix my problems
IceMan446
4/14/2019 12:19pm
Buy 04 and your 06 forks fit right in 04 clamps , 04 was first year with 48mm forks so check it's 48mm , 02-03 have...
Buy 04 and your 06 forks fit right in 04 clamps , 04 was first year with 48mm forks so check it's 48mm , 02-03 have 46mm kayabas !
Plus one on this. Exactly what I did with my 04 125.
5/13/2019 5:10pm
As many others have said, 2004 is the easiest year for the swap because the stock 2004 triple clamps have the same upper / lower bore size as the older style SSS forks.

Overall it really is a simple process, even if you would have to do the triple clamp stem swap for a 2002 or 2003.

Here was my experience with my 2004 YZ 125 build over the winter.

Parts I used from my 2004:
Triple Clamps
Front Wheel
Master Cylinder
Caliper

Parts taken from a 2007 yz 250f (or similar years that shared part numbers) :
2007 yz250f Forks
Axle and Wheel Spacers
Fork Guards
Brake Line
Brake Caliper Mounting Bracket

One extra thing that I did that I don't hear a lot of people doing....... I took 1mm of material off the brake side wheel spacer (using a lathe). From my research, I found that in 2006, Yamaha spread their triple clamps 1mm wider on each side. They then made up for this down at the wheel by casting the fork lugs in 1mm. So essentially, by using the 2007 forks (with the lugs cast in 1mm) and the 2004 triple clamps (not widened), the wheel ends up getting offset an extra mm away from the brake side. By taking a mm off the brake side spacer, the wheel is then centered.

Honestly this is probably something that you could just ignore... I can't imagine it would make much of a difference if the wheel was off center by 1mm. I doubt that you would be able to feel it on the track. But, I just did it for peace of mind...

Chaz_Shearer
1/13/2022 3:27pm
DaveJ wrote:
Can't tell you how many of these I have done. The very first one was my own 01 YZ. So...here's what you need to know. 1...
Can't tell you how many of these I have done.

The very first one was my own 01 YZ.

So...here's what you need to know.

1. Nearly all shocks in the YZ 46mm group are a drop-in swap. The only exception would be the later model shocks where the N2 reservoir is not parallel with the shock body. That said, there isn't much advantage with swapping the shock. Tuning is more important. In other words, you can make a 2001 shock work just as good as a 2009.

2. Not all SSS forks are the same. They have different lengths and different upper tube sizes, (ODs) especially 2010 and beyond. This isn't a big deal but just keep in mind that you'll need to watch for this. That said, they are basically the same fork from 2006 to 2019. Oh...the 05 is the KYB AOS fork - a twin chamber fork, but very VERY different than the 06-19 fork.

3. Keep in mind that there are different brake caliper mounts. The biggest difference is the earlier wide mount, and the narrower mounts. Again, not a big deal but watch for it.

4. Also consider things like fork guards. The designs got better in later models.

5. When purchasing something used on eBay it's "buyer beware". Some forks and shocks are in great shape, others are beat to sh*t. The good news is that KYB parts are super cheap and easy to get.

6. Don't buy ANYTHING that has a color change. Most of these have gone through a process where they strip the factory anodizing off and then anodize them a different color. This process appears to strip off the anti-friction coating on the inside (shock and fork tubes) even when sealed off.

7. It's fairly common for the lugs to come lose on KYB forks. Test for it. They can often be repaired but if they have been ran loose for too long, the treads will be trashed and the tube and lug will need to be replaced.

8. It's very common for KYB SS forks to have cracked free pistons. If they don't, the pistons will most likely be significantly degraded. Replace them with aluminum units. It's also fairly common for the damping rods to lose their Type II coating, taking out the seal and bushing with it.

9. Don't trust any suspension you buy. Take it apart and do a full inspection. And measure the spring rate as well as the length. Make sure you have the right length for your fork, (there are 5 different KYB 48mm fork spring lengths). Keep in mind that some people do some stupid stuff sometimes and you don't want to risk your health. Check EVERYTHING!!

10. You may have to create a new steering lock on your steel frame to work with a new clamp. See photo.

And I'll add this...the 48mm KYB open bath forks that came on the WRs, starting in 06, when tuned correctly, are a better fork than the SSS. Heavier, but better. Almost no degradation, which is more relevant in an off-road application.
But they don't seem as cool.

How big of a steel plate did you weld on for the steering stop?

Post a reply to: Calling ALL Steel frame SSS conversion owners

The Latest