AER 48 Air to spring conversion anyone ???

Related:
Create New Tag

2/18/2018 9:30 AM

I know it’s been mentioned a lot but has anyone got any experience?

I’m really tempted to do it. After riding a bike with spring forks I’m tempted to get the conversion.

The AER fork is good but it’s never going to be as nice as a traditional spring fork.

I’m looking at doing the WP conversion.

I’ve read that the bike has better bite from the front end when it’s done.

Anyone who’s had the conversion I’d like to hear the thoughts.

|

2/18/2018 9:57 AM

Why??? These forks are good.. just get springs for your wt and maybe some valving..

|

2/18/2018 1:12 PM

Forks are good if tuned properly. But, if a spring swap is your bag, k tech makes a good one.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

2/18/2018 9:12 PM

I had the FC spring conversion on my AER forks and recent had them convert it back to air. I wasn’t a fan.

|

2/19/2018 1:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2018 1:17 AM

m21racing wrote:

Forks are good if tuned properly. But, if a spring swap is your bag, k tech makes a good one.

I thought the K-tech spring conversion for the AER 48 forks were garbage. I'm not a fan of the single sided spring forks. The WP conversion is also a single sided system, i haven't tried that but every single sided spring fork has been horrible in my experience.

I would either get the Öhlins full cartridge kit or a used set of CV/Öhlins/KYB forks. I think the Öhlins cartridge kit is about 1k brand new.

|

2/19/2018 1:26 AM

m21racing wrote:

Forks are good if tuned properly. But, if a spring swap is your bag, k tech makes a good one.

Motofinne wrote:

I thought the K-tech spring conversion for the AER 48 forks were garbage. I'm not a fan of the single sided spring forks. The WP conversion is also a single sided system, i haven't tried that but every single sided spring fork has been horrible in my experience.

I would either get the Öhlins full cartridge kit or a used set of CV/Öhlins/KYB forks. I think the Öhlins cartridge kit is about 1k brand new.

I have seen a lot of posts from you about the single sided conversion so I’m certainly taking that into account.

I’ve seen WP cone vale inserts available also so I’m going to look into that.

I know you have said in the past comments that the one sided conversion is noticeable being only on one side so I’m think that’s a really valid point.

I Like the fork but do beat you up on the rough tracks here in the U.K.

|

2/19/2018 2:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2018 2:07 AM

Craig_Whitfield wrote:

I have seen a lot of posts from you about the single sided conversion so I’m certainly taking that into account.

I’ve seen WP cone vale inserts available also so I’m going to look into that.

I know you have said in the past comments that the one sided conversion is noticeable being only on one side so I’m think that’s a really valid point.

I Like the fork but do beat you up on the rough tracks here in the U.K.

Yeah the CV cartridge kit is also an option, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the Öhlins cartridge.

I actually saw a stock WP fork in the sale section on Vital(or ebay, i don't remember) that had the Öhlins cartridge in it and coated fork legs for around 1k, that would also be a good option!

I just want to say that my dislike against the single sided spring forks is just my opinion, i'm sure that lots of people like them!

|

2/19/2018 4:48 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Yeah the CV cartridge kit is also an option, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the Öhlins cartridge.

I actually saw a stock WP fork in the sale section on Vital(or ebay, i don't remember) that had the Öhlins cartridge in it and coated fork legs for around 1k, that would also be a good option!

I just want to say that my dislike against the single sided spring forks is just my opinion, i'm sure that lots of people like them!

I'll second that. Ohlins cartridges work just awesome in any outer tubes. I have this setup in my RM and couldn't be happier.
I had a set this weekend but they found a new home (Vital member) within hours from posting.

|

2/19/2018 5:10 AM

I think I’m going to try get some Öhlin cartridges thats probably the best way to go without spending a fortune

|

2/19/2018 11:38 AM

I had a set of WP CC forks setup by Enzo for my '17 TC250. Very happy now.

If I were doing inserts I would spring for the KYB SSS kit or the Dal Saggio.

|

2/19/2018 3:53 PM

m21racing wrote:

Forks are good if tuned properly. But, if a spring swap is your bag, k tech makes a good one.

Motofinne wrote:

I thought the K-tech spring conversion for the AER 48 forks were garbage. I'm not a fan of the single sided spring forks. The WP conversion is also a single sided system, i haven't tried that but every single sided spring fork has been horrible in my experience.

I would either get the Öhlins full cartridge kit or a used set of CV/Öhlins/KYB forks. I think the Öhlins cartridge kit is about 1k brand new.

M21racing: i've looked for this KYB SSS insert kit after hearing talk about it here but i come up lacking in finding anything.

Motofinne: care to elaborate as to why you don't like them?

|

2/19/2018 4:15 PM

m21racing wrote:

Forks are good if tuned properly. But, if a spring swap is your bag, k tech makes a good one.

Motofinne wrote:

I thought the K-tech spring conversion for the AER 48 forks were garbage. I'm not a fan of the single sided spring forks. The WP conversion is also a single sided system, i haven't tried that but every single sided spring fork has been horrible in my experience.

I would either get the Öhlins full cartridge kit or a used set of CV/Öhlins/KYB forks. I think the Öhlins cartridge kit is about 1k brand new.

navalseabee wrote:

M21racing: i've looked for this KYB SSS insert kit after hearing talk about it here but i come up lacking in finding anything.

Motofinne: care to elaborate as to why you don't like them?

Try technical touch usa, they have the parts for the swap.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

2/19/2018 4:33 PM

I just got race rech spring conversion in my tc 250 and really like it. Front end feels much better. I was not a fan of the air fork and was considering selling the bike due to the harsh feel of the fork. Now i really like the feel of the bike and am happy with the conversion. I did splurge and got the gold valves and had to re spring it for my fat ass. Lol.

|

2/19/2018 5:27 PM

Mechanical spring conversions require valving changes to optimize the setup. Air has different character; flat, rise, progression. Good stuff when tuned properly. The weight advantage is good, especially on a two smoker.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!

2/19/2018 11:50 PM

Craig, it might be a good idea to look around for a set of WP twin chamber forks. I've had very good luck with them. Awesome forks when set up correctly. You will have to use a bigger axle and spacers with it tough, but it shouldn't be a problem.

|

3/25/2020 5:54 AM

The Technical Touch has new KYB conversion kit for WP AER and WP XPLOR air forks. It comes with spesific settings for you weight, speed and bike. Check it out:

|