2019 KTM 450 SXF Bogging

Related:
Create New Tag

9/10/2018 7:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 9:12 AM

Hey guys, if I crack the throttle from idle on my new 450sxf it seems to have a severe bog (to the point where the bike will stop running). I was able to ride all day, I just had to be smooth on the gas instead of very aggressive. I’ve read some people have done air box mods, so I tried to let it run without the side cover on for a little while to see if it would clear up and it was the same. Should I try a 2 stroke filter cage as well?

Also do you know if anyone makes a skid plate for this bike yet? Not sure if the frame has changed that drastically from the 18.

Thanks

|

9/10/2018 8:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 8:17 AM

I’m sure this is the same problem as many other threads asking the same question.

Seems like the answer is TPS adjustment(might be able to cure this with idle adjustment), Ecu remap(Twisted Development), 2 stroke filter cage and remove screen in exhaust.

I’ve also been hearing people need to keep an eye on the fuel pumps.

P3 Carbon has a good skid plate or Acerbis.

|

9/10/2018 10:13 AM

My old KTM's fuel pump had a bent part (kink) that made it bog like you describe, when getting on the gas hard (landing after jumps for example) it would bog for a sec or two.

|

9/10/2018 11:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 11:36 AM

Change the in line filter and try it out. My FX did the exact same thing within the first hour until I changed it. Some small particulate from manufacturing may have clogged up the filter. It doesn’t take much.

|

9/10/2018 11:40 AM

Start small, change your spark plug

|

9/10/2018 11:56 AM

Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.

|

9/10/2018 12:02 PM

kb228 wrote:

Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.

If its a known problem, why doesnt ktm resolve it from the factory?

|

9/10/2018 12:07 PM

kb228 wrote:

Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.

mxb2 wrote:

If its a known problem, why doesnt ktm resolve it from the factory?

I wonder the same thing about many other companies too.

|

9/10/2018 2:23 PM

It's definitely the TPS. Adjust it from where it is to at least .60 and it will clean up all of the right off of the bottom stumbling or hesitation.

|

9/10/2018 2:59 PM

Thanks for your help! I found the thread that covered all of this already (sorry i thought i looked hard enough). After reading everything in that thread I might just bring my whole bike down to Motolab, have him remap my ECU and have him set the TPS while Im there.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/2019-2018-5-ktm-airbox-mod,1345297

|

9/10/2018 4:03 PM

kb228 wrote:

Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.

Unlikely? I literally just said it happened to me on a bike with less than an hour on it. Clogged or partially clogged filter equals not getting enough gas. The surface area of the inline filter is incredibly small. It doesn’t take much to cause this issue.

|

9/10/2018 4:31 PM

Jdon wrote:

Thanks for your help! I found the thread that covered all of this already (sorry i thought i looked hard enough). After reading everything in that thread I might just bring my whole bike down to Motolab, have him remap my ECU and have him set the TPS while Im there.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/2019-2018-5-ktm-airbox-mod,1345297

You should definitely do that. Worth every penny and without a doubt the best bang for the buck performance wise. Please tell Tom that I sent you.

|

9/10/2018 5:29 PM

Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second!

Digger29, I definitely will! Also I read your post about the Hp gains, all 3 different mappings you tried motolab, twisted, and vortex. However, I'm more interested in how the power delivery is with the new mapping. That's a big reason why i bought the ktm, because I can rev it to the moon and how smooth and easy it is to ride. With the new motolab mapping will it be basically the same power delivery, just cleaned up?

|

9/10/2018 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 7:54 PM

On my 18' 450 factory edition my TPS was only .49 (factory setting). Bumped to .61.

I also pre-filter all my fuel before it goes in the tank with a water-separater/filter combo. Some guys run those filter socks too but fuel from the gas stations needs to be filtered somehow before it gets to your fuel line. Gas station fuel is filthy.

|

9/11/2018 3:36 AM

kb228 wrote:

Bog means youre not getting gas. Since your bike is new, the likelyhood of a fuel pump, injector, or fuel filter problem is unlikely. I would look at the TPS first. The TPS setting seems to be off from the factory on these bikes. Its a recurring issue with ktms on here.

CSAR FE wrote:

Unlikely? I literally just said it happened to me on a bike with less than an hour on it. Clogged or partially clogged filter equals not getting enough gas. The surface area of the inline filter is incredibly small. It doesn’t take much to cause this issue.

Cool man. I said unlikely. Not impossible. Glad you figured it out.

|

9/11/2018 9:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/11/2018 9:27 AM

Jdon wrote:

Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second!

Digger29, I definitely will! Also I read your post about the Hp gains, all 3 different mappings you tried motolab, twisted, and vortex. However, I'm more interested in how the power delivery is with the new mapping. That's a big reason why i bought the ktm, because I can rev it to the moon and how smooth and easy it is to ride. With the new motolab mapping will it be basically the same power delivery, just cleaned up?

It will be exactly what you're looking for. I've got over 2hp everywhere throughout the range and he cleaned up 2 very leans spots and it revs 800 rpms further which just adds more flexibility to already great and very easy to ride motor.

|

9/11/2018 11:31 AM

Jdon wrote:

Hey guys, if I crack the throttle from idle on my new 450sxf it seems to have a severe bog (to the point where the bike will stop running). I was able to ride all day, I just had to be smooth on the gas instead of very aggressive. I’ve read some people have done air box mods, so I tried to let it run without the side cover on for a little while to see if it would clear up and it was the same. Should I try a 2 stroke filter cage as well?

Also do you know if anyone makes a skid plate for this bike yet? Not sure if the frame has changed that drastically from the 18.

Thanks

Has it done this since new? If it has I would say tps. If not the little inline fuel filter is a good place to start

|

9/12/2018 12:08 AM

I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate.

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I’m so glad ktm but mounting brackets on these frames for the skid plates

|

9/12/2018 12:13 AM

Craig_Whitfield wrote:

I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate.

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I’m so glad ktm but mounting brackets on these frames for the skid plates

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.

|

9/12/2018 2:47 PM

Craig_Whitfield wrote:

I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate.

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I’m so glad ktm but mounting brackets on these frames for the skid plates

dannyboy123 wrote:

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.

Photo
Photo
|

9/13/2018 3:56 AM

Craig_Whitfield wrote:

I have a 2019 ktm 250sxf and I bought the ktm power parts skid plate.

I’d highly recommend buying this one it’s by far the best one I have ever had. The fit is perfect and also has some rubber that goes along the frame to stop it vibrating the paint off.

It’s pricey but well worth the money. It’s a carbon mixture but it’s absolutely rock solid.

I’m so glad ktm but mounting brackets on these frames for the skid plates

dannyboy123 wrote:

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.

The fit looks does prefect but the material does look funny though as I though. Looks like the guard is full of scratches...should really be a better finish for £160

|

9/13/2018 4:07 AM

dannyboy123 wrote:

I was thinking of buying this skid plate, could you take some close up pictures of it fitted for me please. It looks kind of a funny colour in the ktm official pictures.

Craig_Whitfield wrote: Photo
Photo

dannyboy123 wrote:

The fit looks does prefect but the material does look funny though as I though. Looks like the guard is full of scratches...should really be a better finish for £160

It’s a perfectly smooth surface and looks worse in photos to be honest. It’s certainly built to last tho.

It’s expensive but I’m glad I got it.

|

3/8/2019 4:48 PM

Can I use an ecu of 2019 ktm 450 sxf in a 2018 factory edition?

|

3/8/2019 11:22 PM

will ktm wrote:

Can I use an ecu of 2019 ktm 450 sxf in a 2018 factory edition?

I don’t see why not. Is there a reason you’re looking to do it?

|

3/9/2019 8:15 AM

My factory edition came with the power parts skid plate, buttttt I would’ve went with P3 if it hadn’t.

|

3/9/2019 9:24 AM

I know it's the same engine but I also saw that that computer was remapped different from Factory 2018 I do not know if it's better or worse

|

3/9/2019 10:38 AM

will ktm wrote:

I know it's the same engine but I also saw that that computer was remapped different from Factory 2018 I do not know if it's better or worse

If you are going to buy one, get a Vortex from Twisted Development. Another option would have them remap yours.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

4/26/2019 11:04 PM

Jdon wrote:

Thanks CSAR FE I will change it out and let you know what i find. Its dirt cheap and only takes a second!

Digger29, I definitely will! Also I read your post about the Hp gains, all 3 different mappings you tried motolab, twisted, and vortex. However, I'm more interested in how the power delivery is with the new mapping. That's a big reason why i bought the ktm, because I can rev it to the moon and how smooth and easy it is to ride. With the new motolab mapping will it be basically the same power delivery, just cleaned up?

Did you manage to get this issue resolved? My 19 sxf 250 is doing the same. Its only got 5 hours on it but it's done it since new. I have adjust the tps up to 0.58 which did help a little. I fitted a GET ECU hoping it would solve the problem but the flameout are loads worse than with the std ECU.

|

11/4/2019 5:07 PM

dannyboy did you ever get your issues resolved???

|

11/4/2019 10:47 PM

Chris_Silverman wrote:

dannyboy did you ever get your issues resolved???

After setting up the get ecu correctly the flameout are not as bad. Out on the track the bike never has any issues with flameouts and runs sweet.

|