2017 CRF450 Frame Insert

Related:
Create New Tag

5/30/2017 4:59 AM

I bought a brand new 2017 CRF450r, put 3 hours on it, and went to change the oil. When trying to take off the skid plate, the rear center bolt just spun after cracking loose. I realized that there was a thread insert in the frame, and it broke free and was just spinning. I took it to the dealer, they didn't have any suggestions and said they would call Honda to see what they would recommend. The bike wasn't assembled great from the crate, so I wasn't wanting their mechanic working on my bike anyways.

Photo

Photo

I couldn't find anything about these frame inserts, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has had this issue. I decided to cut the head of the bolt off so I could get the skid plate off and see what the insert looked like.

Photo

Photo

Turns out that the insert is a crush insert, and just wasn't crushed enough from the factory. The skid plate was probably over tightened and it just broke the insert free. I got a longer bolt, threaded a nut on the bolt, then slid on a washer.

Photo

I threaded the bolt in, making sure I have threads all the way into the back of the insert, then backed the nut down to the insert. Holding the bolt head with a wrench, I tightened down the nut on the insert until I felt the insert lock into place. It worked perfect.

Photo

I hope this can help somebody that has a similar issue, super easy fix. I am absolutely LOVING this new 450 also!

|

5/30/2017 6:01 AM

How did you menage to remove the bolt after cutting off the head?

|

I've got some "season end" suspension kits for sale off the race/practice bikes.
Xplor PRO forks for 2600 shipped
Xact PRO forks for 2600 shipped
Black CV/Trax combo for 3100 shipped
Silver cone valve for 1600 shipped
PM for details

5/30/2017 6:56 AM

Turbojez wrote:

How did you menage to remove the bolt after cutting off the head?

When you cut the head off, the tension is released. The bolt just twisted out by hand. When the head was off, the skid plate could come off easily also, by just pulling towards the front of the bike.

|

5/30/2017 11:54 AM

Rivnut.

|

5/30/2017 12:50 PM

What did you cut the head off with? Sounds like the bolt from the factory wasn't long enough or them over tightening it would have had the desired effect yeah?

|

5/30/2017 2:44 PM

There is a riv nut tool kit to replace these inserts, anyone that owned a KX around 88-92 knows all about spinning riv nuts in frames! I"m impressed the Honda came with a skid plate!

|

5/30/2017 5:52 PM

wsc96 wrote:

What did you cut the head off with? Sounds like the bolt from the factory wasn't long enough or them over tightening it would ...more

I just used a dremel with a cut off wheel. I think it wasn't crushed all the way, then the bolt was put in too tight from the factory.

|

5/31/2017 12:50 AM

Good job documenting your experience and solution cool

|

5/31/2017 4:52 AM

Mine did the same thing. Fixed it the same way. Thought I was the only one.

|

11/4/2017 11:25 AM

Just had this happen to my 2017 CRF. I wanted to give thanks for posting a detailed description on how to fix it. Cheers,

|

11/4/2017 6:01 PM

I suspect the shop did not put the skid plate on the factory did.

|

3/31/2018 11:46 AM

Bump. Thanks for the info!

|

4/5/2018 4:37 AM

Yep same issue with mine too. Put a new rivnut in it and no more issues.

|