Question For You Wheel Experts

olds cool
I need to replace the front rim on a Honda CRF450 and I would like to use an Excel Takasago (21x1.60, 36 spoke) because I have already replaced the rear with the matching rim. On the rear I was able to use the stock spokes and nipples. However, all of the info I can find says that I have to use the Excel spoke and nipple kit on the front rim. Can someone tell me why the stock spoke and nipples won't work with this particular rim? Are the holes too big for the stock nipples or something? Thanks in advance.
|
MxRyder
10/20/2016 7:08pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2016 7:09pm
If your going to replace the spokes....for your piece of mind,and for either the expense of having to pay to have them laced or your trouble...upgrade to Bulldog or Buchanan spokes...they are the best...and will keep your rims in the best of shape for the longest duration possiable for your level of abuse.....excel spokes are pretty good...definitly better then stock....if you have the oppertunity to upgrade from stock spokes i think it will be a advantage to your riding and your wallet.....after about 12months of practicing 3 days aweek and racing 2 weekends amonth i go thru wheels about 3sets year and each set get 1-2rebuilds.....cali is pretty hard on wheels SX...AX..and Mx hitting all the big hits after the track get square hard edges on faces and downside....wheels can be short lived at times...might as well invest in some better spokes man.....hope this helps
BobPA
10/21/2016 6:29am
MxRyder wrote:
If your going to replace the spokes....for your piece of mind,and for either the expense of having to pay to have them laced or your trouble...upgrade...
If your going to replace the spokes....for your piece of mind,and for either the expense of having to pay to have them laced or your trouble...upgrade to Bulldog or Buchanan spokes...they are the best...and will keep your rims in the best of shape for the longest duration possiable for your level of abuse.....excel spokes are pretty good...definitly better then stock....if you have the oppertunity to upgrade from stock spokes i think it will be a advantage to your riding and your wallet.....after about 12months of practicing 3 days aweek and racing 2 weekends amonth i go thru wheels about 3sets year and each set get 1-2rebuilds.....cali is pretty hard on wheels SX...AX..and Mx hitting all the big hits after the track get square hard edges on faces and downside....wheels can be short lived at times...might as well invest in some better spokes man.....hope this helps
3 sets of wheels per year? You need a new wheel builder/rim manufacturer man.

Excel spokes are fine, as are Bulldog and Buchanan. Keep them properly tensioned and you will be good to go.
RKExcel
10/21/2016 12:16pm
You can use the stock OE spokes however the stock OE nipples are designed for the stock OE rim's nipple hole diameter. Majority of the Excel 21", 19", 18", 17"(supermoto) rims for the big bikes all have an 8.5mm nipple hole diameter. The stock nipples do fit in the Excel rim however, there have been cases of people pulling the spoke through the nipple hole due to the smaller nipples. Since you are replacing the front rim, we would recommend you replace the spokes/nipples at the same time.

Another recommendation is to torque everything to the correct spec and check the spokes/nipples after the first and second ride. Don't hesitate to give us a call!

Cole Anderson
Racer Support Supervisor/Sale Representative
RK Excel America Inc
2645 Vista Pacific Drive Oceanside, CA 92056
Tel: (760)732-3161 Fax: (760)732-3186

olds cool
10/21/2016 2:03pm
RKExcel wrote:
You can use the stock OE spokes however the stock OE nipples are designed for the stock OE rim's nipple hole diameter. Majority of the Excel...
You can use the stock OE spokes however the stock OE nipples are designed for the stock OE rim's nipple hole diameter. Majority of the Excel 21", 19", 18", 17"(supermoto) rims for the big bikes all have an 8.5mm nipple hole diameter. The stock nipples do fit in the Excel rim however, there have been cases of people pulling the spoke through the nipple hole due to the smaller nipples. Since you are replacing the front rim, we would recommend you replace the spokes/nipples at the same time.

Another recommendation is to torque everything to the correct spec and check the spokes/nipples after the first and second ride. Don't hesitate to give us a call!

Cole Anderson
Racer Support Supervisor/Sale Representative
RK Excel America Inc
2645 Vista Pacific Drive Oceanside, CA 92056
Tel: (760)732-3161 Fax: (760)732-3186

Thank you for your direct answer. Holes bigger, OE nipples are smaller. That's exactly what I was needing to know but didn't until now. I will heed your advice for sure, now that I know. Thanks also to MxRyder and BobPA for your input also!

The Shop

MxRyder
10/21/2016 9:05pm
MxRyder wrote:
If your going to replace the spokes....for your piece of mind,and for either the expense of having to pay to have them laced or your trouble...upgrade...
BobPA wrote:
3 sets of wheels per year? You need a new wheel builder/rim manufacturer man. Excel spokes are fine, as are Bulldog and Buchanan. Keep them properly...
3 sets of wheels per year? You need a new wheel builder/rim manufacturer man.

Excel spokes are fine, as are Bulldog and Buchanan. Keep them properly tensioned and you will be good to go.
I use KSR wheels(SMPro)...and Dubya(excel)....both are top of the line companies.......10 practices on a Sx practice track in Socal ...especially after the track is beat from 25guys on it and see how good your wheels look...and thats even skipping the massive whoops thru out the day.......or rock the 145ft tower jump at Competitive Edge mx..and land in a hard square edge hole from 40ft up in the air.....so yea 3sets of wheels...and rebuilds.....ive also railed a 2ft deep rut with chuckers in it so hard ive bent a rim......so has many other guys....landing on a rim lock with 12psi..can crack a rim......so save the "you need a new rim builder garbage"....im not some slow old guy......
MxRyder
10/21/2016 9:13pm

357...me hitting the Sx track in milestone cali... So yea i know what im talking about
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
10/23/2016 5:07am
MxRyder wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/21/156768/s1200_20161021_211200.jpg[/img] 357...me hitting the Sx track in milestone cali... So yea i know what im talking about

357...me hitting the Sx track in milestone cali... So yea i know what im talking about
Do you see this BOB!?! This clearly explains it
BobPA
10/23/2016 11:15pm
MxRyder wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/21/156768/s1200_20161021_211200.jpg[/img] 357...me hitting the Sx track in milestone cali... So yea i know what im talking about

Markee wrote:
Do you see this BOB!?! This clearly explains it
Oh yeah, i feel as though I am in the presence of greatness...if only he knew I huck 200 foot gaps to square edged pavement whoops ...on the regular.

Bro, if you have to brag about how fast you are on the Internet, you must not really be that fast.

Learn to properly tension your wheels, and the will last more that 3 months...

MxRyder
10/24/2016 5:14am
Brag......listen to the ignorant guy who wants to say something about "you need a new wheel builder"...all i did is vaildated that certin type of rider is hard on wheels......just like every rider who rides on hardpack Sx..Ax..and Mx tracks....funny thing is im pretty humble cause im not the fastest.....i just can ride anything well within topB to average A-laptime ...and im almost 40....u beginners that that call yourself Vets ,cant even hold pace with a class leading C rider(thats not a slight against C riders btw).....i mentioned i go thru wheels, cause i ride hard....and choose to ride tracks that are at the roughest part of the day.....a humble person could have said...."Man,perhaps u might want to pay closer attention to your spokes"...Not you need a new wheel builder.....and as far as bragging.....all i did was validate what i do....some people post talk and far exaggerate their abilities....i walk the walk......and ill keep buying wheel sets as i see fit......
BobPA
10/24/2016 7:14am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2016 7:23am
MxRyder wrote:
Brag......listen to the ignorant guy who wants to say something about "you need a new wheel builder"...all i did is vaildated that certin type of rider...
Brag......listen to the ignorant guy who wants to say something about "you need a new wheel builder"...all i did is vaildated that certin type of rider is hard on wheels......just like every rider who rides on hardpack Sx..Ax..and Mx tracks....funny thing is im pretty humble cause im not the fastest.....i just can ride anything well within topB to average A-laptime ...and im almost 40....u beginners that that call yourself Vets ,cant even hold pace with a class leading C rider(thats not a slight against C riders btw).....i mentioned i go thru wheels, cause i ride hard....and choose to ride tracks that are at the roughest part of the day.....a humble person could have said...."Man,perhaps u might want to pay closer attention to your spokes"...Not you need a new wheel builder.....and as far as bragging.....all i did was validate what i do....some people post talk and far exaggerate their abilities....i walk the walk......and ill keep buying wheel sets as i see fit......
Humble? The only things you have posted in this thread is how fast you are, the massive jumps you hit, and call everyone else is just a beginner C vet rider. Then you back up your claims with a grainy 1990's style photo that was taken from 300 yards away.

Like I said if you have to tell people you are both "fast and humble" you are probably neither of those things.

PS, I am 29 and have been riding for over 20 years...I have had some time in the saddle. How can you judge someone else's speed over a message board anyway?

Enjoy your California concrete, I'll be on the other coast ripping ruts and slappin' butts.
jdj727
10/24/2016 8:57pm
MxRyder wrote:
Brag......listen to the ignorant guy who wants to say something about "you need a new wheel builder"...all i did is vaildated that certin type of rider...
Dude there right if your tearing up rims that fast your doing something wrong.. And yes I raced SX for years before you had the bottle removed last one being 05.. If your killing rims that fast something is up.. Your not racing SX on a endurocross track are you..
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
10/25/2016 12:27pm
Excel question...

If I get a 2.15, 18" excel rim for my 2016 YZ250F, can I use the stock hub?
RKExcel
10/25/2016 12:39pm
SPYGUY wrote:
Excel question...

If I get a 2.15, 18" excel rim for my 2016 YZ250F, can I use the stock hub?
It actually depends on the Excel Rim part number that you choose. Some part numbers are drilled for certain aftermarket hubs and some are drilled for stock hubs.

The part number for stock hubs would be FE_422 18x2.15 36H drilled for stock Yamaha. The underscore will change depending on the color of the rim. For example Silver would be FES422. S= Silver, B=Blue, K=Black, G= Gold A=Yellow. Stock OEM nipples and spokes will work.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Farrah Bauer
Excel Sales/Marketing & Advertising Manager
RK Excel America Inc
MxRyder
10/25/2016 8:13pm
MxRyder wrote:
jdj727 wrote:
Dude there right if your tearing up rims that fast your doing something wrong.. And yes I raced SX for years before you had the bottle...
Dude there right if your tearing up rims that fast your doing something wrong.. And yes I raced SX for years before you had the bottle removed last one being 05.. If your killing rims that fast something is up.. Your not racing SX on a endurocross track are you..
Lived in florida for 20yrs....the dirt on the east coast from the south all the way to the north, never gets close to the concrete hard stuff we end up with after 1pm on nearly every Socal track...it ruins rims.....once i bend a rim or it cracks i replace it and the spokes.....after the hubs see 3 builds i sell them...i dont like wheels the wobble.....i know how to tighten spoke....when u ride low air pressure searching for traction...and land in a square edge hole...the rims bend....this is a pretty common accurance in Socal....i never bent 1 wheel living in Florida...althought Gatorback can be hard on wheels if u go long on the finishline uphill.....
MxRyder
10/25/2016 8:38pm
MxRyder wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Humble? The only things you have posted in this thread is how fast you are, the massive jumps you hit, and call everyone else is just...
Humble? The only things you have posted in this thread is how fast you are, the massive jumps you hit, and call everyone else is just a beginner C vet rider. Then you back up your claims with a grainy 1990's style photo that was taken from 300 yards away.

Like I said if you have to tell people you are both "fast and humble" you are probably neither of those things.

PS, I am 29 and have been riding for over 20 years...I have had some time in the saddle. How can you judge someone else's speed over a message board anyway?

Enjoy your California concrete, I'll be on the other coast ripping ruts and slappin' butts.
Well re read all the post...never mention anything about how fast i am.......grainy photo,cant help that im not someone who keeps many photos of myself riding...funny u think its from the 90s werent you like 3yrs old, that photo was last year at the milestone Mx supercross track....why dont you look it up and youll notice the wharehouses in the background...however should u ever come out to Socal and want to come riding....id be very happy to give you a proper introduction to the Socal tracks....
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
10/26/2016 2:02am Edited Date/Time 10/26/2016 2:03am
RKExcel wrote:
It actually depends on the Excel Rim part number that you choose. Some part numbers are drilled for certain aftermarket hubs and some are drilled for...
It actually depends on the Excel Rim part number that you choose. Some part numbers are drilled for certain aftermarket hubs and some are drilled for stock hubs.

The part number for stock hubs would be FE_422 18x2.15 36H drilled for stock Yamaha. The underscore will change depending on the color of the rim. For example Silver would be FES422. S= Silver, B=Blue, K=Black, G= Gold A=Yellow. Stock OEM nipples and spokes will work.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America Inc
Excellent support on here as usual from Excel, thanks to Farrah & Cole. Couldn't help but think that better documentation on the Excel website would help customers decipher some of this themselves. I know I've gotten assistance from each of you in the past for similar queries. Thanks again.

*edit thanks to name autocorrect/typo
olds cool
10/26/2016 11:04am
RKExcel wrote:
It actually depends on the Excel Rim part number that you choose. Some part numbers are drilled for certain aftermarket hubs and some are drilled for...

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Farrah Bauer
RK Excel America Inc
wsc96 wrote:
Excellent support on here as usual from Excel, thanks to Farrah & Cole. Couldn't help but think that better documentation on the Excel website would help...
Excellent support on here as usual from Excel, thanks to Farrah & Cole. Couldn't help but think that better documentation on the Excel website would help customers decipher some of this themselves. I know I've gotten assistance from each of you in the past for similar queries. Thanks again.

*edit thanks to name autocorrect/typo
Agree with you 100%! As the OP, I can't help but to add that I got way more than my moneys' worth in entertainment value out of this post. Just imagine what would have happened if there had been a legal aspect to my original question!!! GrinningSillySideways

Post a reply to: Question For You Wheel Experts

The Latest