COMPLETE!!! CR500 Aluminum Frame Conversion Build

Edited Date/Time 11/12/2015 8:08am
***SEE PAGE TWO FOR COMPLETED PICUTRES*** (or bike checks)

Hey Guys,

Pretty new here but a long-time lurker. I'm deciding to share with you all my 2004 CRF250R, which I am currently converting to CR500-power! The engine is an '89 with the short-ratio transmission. I've got all-new bearings and seals, the crank is still in great shape. The cylinder and head are over at Tom Morgan Racing getting bored, milled, and ported, along with porting and matching the reed block and Keihin PWK. I'm using a 2000 CR250 ignition and flywheel.
The suspension is out at MX-Tech getting the Huck Valves, DLC, Springs, Revalve, and Hard Anodizing the shock body and fork lugs. Troy at TCR is doing the wheels, and a forum member just hooked me up with a CRFStuff 280mm brake kit. Stoked!

Brett at ICW has been hooking up my Radiators and welded my frame! Great dude!

I used the CP500 frame kit. Nice parts.

CR125 swingarm races put the countershaft right in line!

Sorry about the crappy phone pictures. I'll keep you all posted, hope you enjoy!
|
JM485
3/10/2014 1:26pm
That frame looks awesome! I like how that kit is made to slip over the old frame so you can add a nice, thick weld, seems like it would be really strong that way.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/10/2014 2:06pm
Bored, milled and ported? Are you crazy??? Woohoo

That thing is going to be fast! Better warn all the 450 riders around you.
DPR250R
3/10/2014 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/10/2014 5:28pm
Awesome... keep the pics coming!
seanmx57
3/10/2014 7:15pm
Many porting gurus seting up a CR5 motor for MX will make it run smoother with less hit. Only the real sickos want tons more power and they are doing dunes or hillclimbs generally.

Where did you get that motor jig. I need one. Wanna sell it when U R done with it?

I'd consider upgrading to a 05 or newer SA (swingarm) and a newer linkage. When I build an 04 based CRF250 AF that's what I do so I can run a FC or some other aftermarket linkage or at least a stock linkage.

The Shop

3/11/2014 4:58am
I have one using the same frame but with an 86 engine instead and with similar mods to yours and let me tell you it's absolutely brilliant. Nowhere near as hard to ride as I expected, you can just flick it around no problem and still be able to outgun anything on the track.

Only downside I've found to it is starting the damn thing although it sounds like you can fix that with a decompression valve in the head but I just haven't gotten round to that yet.
3/11/2014 9:54am
gpnewhouse wrote:
I have one using the same frame but with an 86 engine instead and with similar mods to yours and let me tell you it's absolutely...
I have one using the same frame but with an 86 engine instead and with similar mods to yours and let me tell you it's absolutely brilliant. Nowhere near as hard to ride as I expected, you can just flick it around no problem and still be able to outgun anything on the track.

Only downside I've found to it is starting the damn thing although it sounds like you can fix that with a decompression valve in the head but I just haven't gotten round to that yet.
Once the engine gets back from Tom I'll be sending the head to Larry Weichman for his decomp mod, which looks OEM!
3/11/2014 9:56am
seanmx57 wrote:
Many porting gurus seting up a CR5 motor for MX will make it run smoother with less hit. Only the real sickos want tons more power...
Many porting gurus seting up a CR5 motor for MX will make it run smoother with less hit. Only the real sickos want tons more power and they are doing dunes or hillclimbs generally.

Where did you get that motor jig. I need one. Wanna sell it when U R done with it?

I'd consider upgrading to a 05 or newer SA (swingarm) and a newer linkage. When I build an 04 based CRF250 AF that's what I do so I can run a FC or some other aftermarket linkage or at least a stock linkage.
I'm seriously hoping that kind of powerband is the case! My ports are in good hands with TMR. Looking forward to completion!
seanmx57
3/12/2014 8:15am
I can start my CR5 with a fresh top end in flip flops with the decomp head.
3/12/2014 11:47am
seanmx57 wrote:
I can start my CR5 with a fresh top end in flip flops with the decomp head.
You're making me very jealous.
3/23/2014 7:47pm
Got a new right side case. I really dig how Honda sells them with bearings installed. I painted the cases black and began to reassemble. Should be getting the top end back from Tom Morgan this week.
JBernard_401
3/24/2014 1:04pm
^ deja vu in that picture. i have both of those same Tusk tools, and also sent my top end to Tom Morgan. Super cool guy huh? Ive got a KX500AF head and cylinder he did and cant wait to fire it up.
3/24/2014 1:52pm
^ deja vu in that picture. i have both of those same Tusk tools, and also sent my top end to Tom Morgan. Super cool guy...
^ deja vu in that picture. i have both of those same Tusk tools, and also sent my top end to Tom Morgan. Super cool guy huh? Ive got a KX500AF head and cylinder he did and cant wait to fire it up.
Tom is awesome, his work is amazing for the price. With a KX500, you can't go wrong with having Jeff Ward's old wrench work on it!

Have you listened to him on the PulpMX Podcast? He has some really good stories.

I can't say good enough things about the passionate people helping me build my dream bike.
4/15/2014 11:08am
Parts are in! I was waiting on the top end to come back from TMR so I could finish mocking up the exhaust mounts. MX-Tech also delivered some "functional eye candy". Stock 47mm Showas with Huck Valves, DLC, SKF Seals, DSP Springs, and anodized bright gold by TCR. The lugs are hard anodized black, as is the Shock Body, which is also fitted with a check valve and DSP spring. In the sunlight, they look nuts!

Sorry for the low quality pictures. Someday I'll spring for a camera that doesn't text message.
TRON
4/15/2014 11:39am
That gold is beautiful!!
4/15/2014 12:33pm
Parts are in! I was waiting on the top end to come back from TMR so I could finish mocking up the exhaust mounts. MX-Tech also...
Parts are in! I was waiting on the top end to come back from TMR so I could finish mocking up the exhaust mounts. MX-Tech also delivered some "functional eye candy". Stock 47mm Showas with Huck Valves, DLC, SKF Seals, DSP Springs, and anodized bright gold by TCR. The lugs are hard anodized black, as is the Shock Body, which is also fitted with a check valve and DSP spring. In the sunlight, they look nuts!

Sorry for the low quality pictures. Someday I'll spring for a camera that doesn't text message.
How much did the DLC and Anodizing on the forks cost?
TanHner36
4/15/2014 1:47pm
Ugly welds on the radiator IMO but other than that we will definitely need a video of you ripping this thing when it's finished. Should be a monster.
4/15/2014 2:10pm
adam,

The DLC was $500 minus 15% military discount at MX-Tech.
The anodizing was done by Troy Cardiel at TCR, Fork Tubes, Shock Body and Fork Lugs for $300 shipped.
benj4030
4/16/2014 6:22am
can't wait to se it done, keep the pics comming man ! Cool
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
997th
4/16/2014 11:34pm
Wow! I kinda have the itch to build one of these,.....very cool!
5/4/2014 10:37am
Thanks guys. I'm supremely stoked to be close to complete. All that's left are the exhaust mounts, some linkage bearings, a wheelset, and some works connection goodies. I'll be using the stock clamps at first, and might upgrade to some applied clamps to change the offset if necessary. Stay tuned!
PADDY'S LAD
5/6/2014 8:39pm
You are going to love that bike ! I built two at the same time. One for my brother one for me
( we race them) real power to use at your discretion.
Have fun& get ready for all the questions you'll get on your bike
We raced the road to mammoth ( hang town) on ours and had a great weekend!
I talked to at least 20 guys about our bikes!
Enjoy!
Cheers, Pat
5/25/2014 5:24pm

Just put it together to get the pipe and coil mounts correct. The side effect was a heaping boost of motivation before it comes apart to do more welding!
5/29/2014 9:49am
Alex at stickmangraphx.com did a one-off for me based on the 04 CRF shrouds and the old Factory Honda rear fender graphics. It goes well with the open-class yellow backgrounds.
mxBryan
5/29/2014 10:31am
Nice build, the Y piece you welded looks really strong ! nice thick weld and penetration..
Rmartin508
5/29/2014 12:39pm
Nice build!!!!!!! Where did you find the honda racing clutch cover?
5/29/2014 3:38pm
Rmartin508 wrote:
Nice build!!!!!!! Where did you find the honda racing clutch cover?
Thanks. A man in England makes them out of billet, they're for sale on eBay, and also available for 92-01 CR250s.

Post a reply to: COMPLETE!!! CR500 Aluminum Frame Conversion Build

The Latest