2001 KX250

Edited Date/Time 11/14/2015 10:48pm
Hi,

I'm in the final stages of completing a full overhaul on my project KX 250 and just seeking advice on couple things. I've tried cleaning up the black fuel tank by wet sanding from 240 grit all the way through to 2000 grit and finally buffing using scratch & swirl remover, however i'm not really happy with the finished product. The tank is nice and smooth but the finish is very dull, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a nice gloss finish?

On another note I am looking for any NOS graphics anyone may have for 99-02 125/250 models, don't really have a specific team I am replicating so would be happy to hear about any and all graphics you may have, shrouds, fork guards, full kit etc.
|
11/8/2015 1:29am
I was also wondering if anyone has had any experience in replacing the seat foam on their bikes? i see Factory FX sell replacement foam, how is this reattached to the seat base? Thanks
barkhard696
Posts
1469
Joined
1/30/2010
Location
Houston, TX, USA
11/8/2015 11:31am
Most of the original team graphics are long gone. Dare Decals in the UK has a reproduction of the 02 Simple Green kit.
11/8/2015 10:07pm
Most of the original team graphics are long gone. Dare Decals in the UK has a reproduction of the 02 Simple Green kit.
Thanks, I have contacted a local supplier (Australia) to see what they are able to do. Cost of shipping from O/S countries at the moment is unreal.
11/11/2015 2:15am

So this is where I am up to after sanding and re sanding, just can't seem to not end up with a dull finish. Anyone got any tips?

The Shop

RyanLester761
Posts
1128
Joined
2/7/2007
Location
El Dorado Hills, CA, USA
11/11/2015 5:42am
Someone on here rubbed their tank with Vaseline. Maybe that can help.
11/11/2015 9:53pm
Get some 'carbon fiber' patterned vinyl and put it on your tank. I did on my 2000 and it looks pretty good.
Kidkawie
Posts
1193
Joined
8/31/2012
Location
ქუთაისი, GE
11/11/2015 11:16pm
Look up some plastic restoration threads. Same procedure. Looks like you just need to buff it at this point.
11/12/2015 12:21pm
Hi, I'm in the final stages of completing a full overhaul on my project KX 250 and just seeking advice on couple things. I've tried cleaning...
Hi,

I'm in the final stages of completing a full overhaul on my project KX 250 and just seeking advice on couple things. I've tried cleaning up the black fuel tank by wet sanding from 240 grit all the way through to 2000 grit and finally buffing using scratch & swirl remover, however i'm not really happy with the finished product. The tank is nice and smooth but the finish is very dull, does anyone have any recommendations on how to get a nice gloss finish?

On another note I am looking for any NOS graphics anyone may have for 99-02 125/250 models, don't really have a specific team I am replicating so would be happy to hear about any and all graphics you may have, shrouds, fork guards, full kit etc.
Hey man,

Saw your thread.

I have an abundance of parts for a '99-02 Kx 250.

If you are interested, send me your email address and i'll email over pictures and prices.
11/14/2015 12:56pm
Hey man, Saw your thread. I have an abundance of parts for a '99-02 Kx 250. If you are interested, send me your email address and...
Hey man,

Saw your thread.

I have an abundance of parts for a '99-02 Kx 250.

If you are interested, send me your email address and i'll email over pictures and prices.
Sweet, have just sent you a message.
11/14/2015 1:03pm
Kidkawie wrote:
Look up some plastic restoration threads. Same procedure. Looks like you just need to buff it at this point.
Have been having a look through some threads and videos, i'm thinking/hoping where i went wrong was perhaps the drill i had the buffer pad on wasn't powerful enough and I also went pretty conservative on the scratch and swirl after watching the videos. Going to give it another shot today.........also in the middle of rebuilding the fr/rr brakes, looks like the rear brakes haven't been serviced since new! oil was black and full of gunk and the pads and calliper pins were just about worn through, not to mention the seals on the calliper were all shot aswell.
11/14/2015 3:53pm
Hey Goon , where you at up north qld......just moved myself and wanting to know if any good anodising places up here as i have a few bits n pieces to be done on my 01 KX250 ??
MaxPower
Posts
2703
Joined
8/15/2006
Location
USA
11/14/2015 5:20pm
Get a buffing wheel that would fit on a bench grinder and mount it on a cordless drill . Lowes sells the arbor to make it work. If you sent down to 2000 grit that will buff a shine right up
11/14/2015 9:51pm


Yeah so that's basically what I did, this is what I ended up with-a huge improvement over my last effort....might have to walk past it a few times though to see if I'm happy with it or if OCD kicks in and I resand etc to try get an even better finish
11/14/2015 10:04pm


Brakes all done, new seals, plungers, pads etc and abit of a clean up
11/14/2015 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2015 11:37pm
scubasteve wrote:
Hey Goon , where you at up north qld......just moved myself and wanting to know if any good anodising places up here as i have a...
Hey Goon , where you at up north qld......just moved myself and wanting to know if any good anodising places up here as i have a few bits n pieces to be done on my 01 KX250 ??
Hey I'm In the Whitsundays, not sure of anyone in my area but I would think there would be someone who does hard anodising in Mackay or Townsville, Maybe try this guy from this thread http://m.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/2008-RM125-Rebuild,1283129?pag… noticed he's from Mackay and on about page 4 he has some really mint looking anodised parts....would be keen to know if there is anyone who does it in the NQ area if you find out

Post a reply to: 2001 KX250

The Latest